BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: A very BAD report from Loreto!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellychapman
well long time no posts.....as a result of my computor getting some tequilla in it late one night while posting.....:( has taken 7 months to get the problem fixed.....just like the roads in Loreto....the reason why I left for awhile....it sucks bigtime and now I see they have torn up the marina...for goodness sakes what on earth where they thinking????? I am embarressed to see the way they have done our beautiful town and had to leave until the streets are completed because I cannot stand all the dirt filled with crap that blows around...hope it gets completed soon so life can get back to normal in beautiful Loreto.....

Ya Loreto es diferente!

no hay pavimiento
hay mas robos
no hay sufficiente agua
casi no hay aceso a las playas
hay mucho mas drogas
no hay rampa
hay mucho polvo contaminado con caca
no hay escuelas buenas
no hay suficienta servicios medicas
no hay mercancia porque no hay tiendas buenas
hay solo un banco (esto no es diferente)
etc,... :mad:
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:24 PM

STOP STOP you making me cry......and I live there full time....:(
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-18-2007 at 05:27 PM
No need for that

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
they will leave the very poor around so they can have their toilets cleaned

New models are self-cleaning.

http://www.autosanit.com/indexeng.html

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 05:52 PM

"New models are self-cleaning."

That one stubborn stain makes me a little uncomfortable...

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 06:08 PM

Dave can ya find me a self cleaning house? :lol:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 06:53 PM

At last, some clean potty humor!

Iflyfish
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:52 PM

Noon today,they are still jackhammering the north side of the ramp!
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 6-20-2007 at 01:02 PM
"Ya Loreto Es Diferente"

I think you have a song there Pam! Posible references to LBC? Maybe get Los Tigres?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 05:26 PM

"Ya Loreto es diferente"

its the PAN party's slogan here in town I just figured I'd add some truth to it
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:08 PM

The rebar is being wired up on the remaining top 1/3 of the ramp. Concrete is being poured tomorrow according to the builders. I hope they don't open it for the tourny. The convinience would not be equal to the potential damage done by heavy boats on green concrete. Like all things here, "we shall see".
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:25 PM

Two weeks to rip out and pour a 20'x50' slab?:O No rain. No snow. No picket lines?:no: No Way!!!:spingrin:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 06:57 PM

We are lucky it went so smoothly, it could have been a month.....
tuna stick
Junior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 6-22-2007 at 12:33 PM

Eleven AM. this morning,they were coating rebar,and tieing. Really don't think using the ramp,with much less than 24 hr. cure,would be a wise decision,period! But then again,this is Mexico. Anything more than one panga at a time,would insure failure,IMHO. If it were my ramp,I would want an epoxy sealer,and minimum 72hr. cure. If, the powers that be, open the ramp tomorrow morning, to any and all craft,I expect to hear,within a year, mucho peeing and moaning about" what poor construction the ramp was"! Like love,you can't hurry concrete! Well,you can hurry both,but the results are uh,less than satisfactory! So,the ramp starts to fail,years of "when are you going to replace the ramp"! On the other hand,maybe this is just a temporary ramp until the "Mega-Marina" is built.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 12:45 PM

On the other hand, maybe this ramp will be perfect. After all, it was built by committee, was it not?
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 03:35 PM

Just came back from the ramp, it looks like using it tomorrow is a mute point. It doesn't look like its going to get poured for at least another day. The sign up for the governors cup fishing tourny was going well, looks like a big turnout. Even if we don't win we picked up a free T shirt and a hat, can't beat that.
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 09:44 PM
wasabi...

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Pam,

Just in case.

Can you get Wasabi in Loreto?

;D
I purchased some Wasabi at the resturant supply store next to Damiana Inn...Dali 's I think it is called...and lot's of wonderful foods....I absolutely love the place and the couple running it are the best...
kellychapman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 10:00 PM
I have a question?

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Thanks Don, I thought those were probably the distinctions to be made...I get pretty tired of the "if you're not a Mexican citizen you have no right to speak" attitude.

Now back to the ramp...what does it look like today?

[Edited on 6-15-2007 by elizabeth]
why would we have the right to be involved if we were not a citizen of any country for that matter? Am I missing something?? I really don't feel as a guest so to speak (even though I live in Loreto full time) that I deserve the right to be involved because I am not a citizen. I do not mean to sound "stupid" but why would I have the same priviledges while living here on a Visa that are equal to that of a citizen? It gets to be a bit much if every tom, dick and harry who spends a few months here is equal.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 12:53 AM

Kelly, If you choose to become informed about what is going on around you, you have a right, and in some cases, an obligation to speak and to be involved in the activities that take place in whatever community that you live in, whether you are a citizen or not. Do you think that non citizen farm workers in the US who are subject to pesticide poisoning do not have a right to inform and focus public opinion on that subject?
amir
Senior Nomad

Mood: chiropractic

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 01:24 AM

The last two posts are talking about different things. Sort of comparing apples and oranges, and they are NOT the same thing, folks.
Priviledges and rights are two very different things.

And elizabeth, no, you do not have a right, even less of an obligation, to do something that has been specifically forbidden to you, by law. In this case, foreigners are forbidden to get involved in Mexican politics. You can get involved with issues in your community, of course, but watch out, that if it can be construed as a political issue, you can, and will be, deported. Your accuser would have no trouble proving that your activities were political in nature. So just be careful and don't go half-c-cked. Information is one thing. Political activism is a horse of a different color...

--Amir
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:03 AM

I believe in the old concepts of Locke and Jefferson of the social contract. Mexican authorities have no objection to levying numerous fees and taxes, and with that comes responsibilities. "Guests" don't have to fork out hundreds, or thousands, of dollars in fees and taxes. You need a different label. ;D

No one is saying our rights are "equal" to those of a Mexican citizen.

Loreto maintains an office, and has hired a very capable person, Jesus Jaques, to facilitate discussions between expats, tourists and government officials. Only here on Baja Nomad do I see this "keep your mouth shut" attitude.

While the timing of the ramp replacement could have been better, it needed to be done. The decision to build the new ramp followed discussions initiated by expats, and facilitated by Jesus Jaques. API resisted at first, but it appears that the squeeky wheel got the grease.

So thanks to Ron Beitelspacher for his efforts to get this ramp built. Good thing he didn't believe he was "just a guest."

Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.