Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  
Author: Subject: first report
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 06:46 PM

nice fish......too bad the panguero hooked it while nate n. lee was spearing triggers.....:lol:. when the fish was locked on the bottom nate and his buddy (nate and lee? not that there's anything wrong with that!) jumped in and finally subdued the magnficent sawtail?

"i'll only shoot a bigger one next time"???? when is enough, enough? do you also drive a lamborghini??? what a pud errr, lack of one!!!!

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 06:49 PM

Thanks Woody, I didn't want to be the one to bring that up. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:lol:

Gives new meaning to spearfisherman though, don't it.:?:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 06:52 PM

to each their own, however use some judgment.......save some for your kids.....wait.....nate and lee......my bad!!!

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cap
All of those sportfishing boats use BIG lures to target big Bill fish.

Ok, Cap, we're not talking about billfish, are we? Not all fish species are the same - they don't grow at the same rate, breed at the same rate, achieve sexual maturity at the same rate ...

So, what does targeting of billfish by trolling have to do with shooting Gulf Grouper? Hint - nothing.

You see, we're talking about a non-migratory, slow-growing species. Once this fish has been killed it'll take 30-40 years to replace it in the gene pool, if at all. In the meantime, the area where the fish was killed is going to be barren, no breeding, no growing, no fish. In other words, this species is extrememly sensitive to elimination when the breeding adults are killed off.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Cap

Ok, Cap, we're not talking about billfish, are we? Not all fish species are the same - they don't grow at the same rate, breed at the same rate, achieve sexual maturity at the same rate ...

So, what does targeting of billfish by trolling have to do with shooting Gulf Grouper? Hint - nothing.

You see, we're talking about a non-migratory, slow-growing species. Once this fish has been killed it'll take 30-40 years to replace it in the gene pool, if at all. In the meantime, the area where the fish was killed is going to be barren, no breeding, no growing, no fish. In other words, this species is extrememly sensitive to elimination when the breeding adults are killed off.

Bingo:!:

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 09:35 PM

What a shame, my daughter caught and released that relic of a fish a while back.
Now it’s a trophy?

Hopefully nature will bat last... or for sure bite last. I withheld my opinion from this thread to avoid extradition to Guantanimo.

Minnow, Toneart, Al G, Hook, Roberto, Tripledigitken, Frank, Mexitron, Baitcast, Backninedan, Dennis, Don Jorge... THANK YOU!!!

That’s a 12 pack - beers on me shall we ever meet. You have all rekindled my faith of conscientious “nomads”. It is sad that vertical thinking ignores the horizon.:(

respectyourmother.jpg - 11kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Cap, the parts you refer to were deleted by the moderator, and or n8n.

I can't help but laugh. Reading comprehension is at an all time low here. The picture is fake, and the story is fake.

This guy has convinced people like DK and Cap that he went to Baja and only took one picture. If any of the story were true he would post the proof instead of talking in circles.

Nice of DK to U2U the guy though. Hey n8n, why don't you post the message DK sent you. He has already proven he approves of posting others U2U's that are sent to him. Did he send you a map to the nearest Grouper hole with that message.:lol:

Tom, no U2U was exchanged with him, don't make assumptions about me please... Why can't you just enjoy the contributions made by people here without passing judgement on how or why he killed that fish. You killed plenty more fish in your life.... afterall. I hope you aren't going to break your promiss with Doug and start making negative comments about other Nomads? Chill dude, don't get ejected again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 10:06 PM

DK, do you actually read any of this stuff, or just the things you write or are written about you?

You sent the guy a U2U because you thought I was bashing Gonzaga. I was not. I actually read what was posted and responded.

Now quit being the self appointed Super moderator.

Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Cap

Thank you for the clarification. I did ask the question. I still haven't heard anyone give a good answer to the question of why is it more egregious to target, and kill a fish like this with a speargun than to target (bait, depth, lures, habitat, etc) and kill a fish like this with a pole? I am not trying to be argumentative, I just would like to understand the difference. The Bill fish example I used was just something I thought everyone could relate to. Targeting exists in either style of fishing, no?

Fly low, land on roads.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
What a shame, my daughter caught and released that relic of a fish a while back.
Now it’s a trophy?

Hopefully nature will bat last... or for sure bite last. I withheld my opinion from this thread to avoid extradition to Guantanimo.

Minnow, Toneart, Al G, Hook, Roberto, Tripledigitken, Frank, Mexitron, Baitcast, Backninedan, Dennis, Don Jorge... THANK YOU!!!

That’s a 12 pack - beers on me shall we ever meet. You have all rekindled my faith of conscientious “nomads”. It is sad that vertical thinking ignores the horizon.:(

Thank You!
Quite a disparate group to defend a grouper, donchathink? The least we could do is to drink beer together but we may miss the horizon as we soar Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Oh, and I'm glad your daughter's decision to catch and release was mutual. :o And-and-and thank you for not bragging about your Photoshop skills.:yes::lol:

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 11:38 PM

I am confused, is legal to spearfish from a boat and take the fish away to eat?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

lol.gif posted on 8-9-2007 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
So your buddy helped you drag the fish out of the hole after you gut shot the fish twice. I thought you guys were all about fighting the fish one on one? Looks like the fish kicked your A$$ and you had to have your buddy help you out. Maybe you shouldnt of taken the shot, but got greedy and did it anyways? Thats not sport.

What no reply to this?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 07:34 AM

jeez, just read this thread sort of.

I liked the analysis of the fish's health from the photo. Looks like its LDLs are kinda high to me.

And toneart broke the code used in the username. 10SNE1?

Freedivers are quite a bunch. I remember scuba diving off of San Diego with some buddies and a neighbor who was a freediver came along. Us scuba guys were down 40 or 50 feet maybe and here comes the freediver. I was impressed although he didn't stay to chat.

Someone mentioned somebody had a "chip on their shoulder". Reminded me of something I read or heard lately "I'm a balanced individual, I have a big chip on each shoulder". Thought it was funny, especially since I can relate.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
DK, do you actually read any of this stuff, or just the things you write or are written about you?

You sent the guy a U2U because you thought I was bashing Gonzaga. I was not. I actually read what was posted and responded.

Now quit being the self appointed Super moderator.

I did not send him a U2U, so please stop calling me a liar.

Instead of trying to convince him to not kill any more groupers, you are passing judgement on a new Nomad who shared his fishing experience here by condemning. If all new Nomads are going to fear you and others for trashing there posts, then what will come of Baja Nomad.

Baja Nomad is not just for fishermen who don't spear or surfers with secret spots, afterall...

All Baja... All the time!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 08:18 AM

You really don't read the threads.:lol::lol::lol:

If you did you would realize that I don't think the guy killed that grouper.

About the U2U. Seems odd that the guy goes off on some false information that someone sent him. The same false information you have been telling people about me for years. Not to mention your two posts about what I wrote on the BOLA or Gonzaga thread that were so off track.

Did you read the thread from the link posted on the spearfishing board. Stupid question I know. The guy admits using photoshop to put his head on someone else's body. I would go one further, he put the fish in the place of another smaller fish someone was holding up.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by n8nlee
Now, to the fish. Take a closer look at it. Does the body look too small for the head? Or does the head just look huge in comparison to the body? Could the fish be slowly starving to death? Look at the lower jaw of the fish. Does that far corner look odd? Maybe the jagged edge looks like the jaw is torn? That male has seen better days.

Hose A. In the thread on the spearfishing board he says he gutted it in the water. Here he says he killed it but it was dying anyway. That is why it was so thin. Where are the holes in the belly from the two shots anyway? This guy is a wanna be spearfisher, who is looking for attention, and fabricated this entire story. Notice the total lack of details in the story that can be verified. He even gives his "dive buddies" cartoon names.

He should be banned.

:lol:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 10:38 AM

Gnukid, we are not debating legalities in this discussion.........only ethics. I personally accept n8nlee's contention that it was LEGALLY taken.

Really, if the fish in question was a large tuna, dorado or some other prolific breeder, there wouldn't be a peep out of most of us.

You see, there are many of us who believe that Mexico's take and bag limits have no bearing on the realities of the fisheries.

But, hey, it's their country...............

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
You see, there are many of us who believe that Mexico's take and bag limits have no bearing on the realities of the fisheries.

But, hey, it's their country...............

Yes. A couple of illustrative examples:

Quote:

Maximum ten fish per day, no more than five of any one species. A mximum of two fish/day of Dorado, Tarpon and Roosterfish, which count as five fish toward the overall limit.

Lots of stuff to debate here, but I want to point out two totally nonsensical items.

1. No mention of fish size, etc. Size management has proven to be one of the most successful forms of fisheries management.
2. Dorado is one of those most prolific species mentioned by Hook. In addition they are very short-lived and grow at an astounding rate. So, sportfishing really doesn't affect this species - maybe someone in Mexico City thought they were too beautiful to take more than two/day? :lol::lol:

Another favorite one is that, if you are fishing with live bait, you can only catch the first two fish with it. After that, lures, or kill all your bait. Must be the reason quality live bait is so hard to find in Mexico. :lol::lol:

Should you be interested in a more in-depth source of Mexican sportfishing regulations: http://www.mexfish.com/mexi/mexi/af000806/af000806.htm

[Edited on 8-9-2007 by Roberto]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 11:35 AM

Man........I can't think of anything that would raise my anxiety level more than gutting a fish while we were both in the water.
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Cap
Thank you for the clarification. I did ask the question. I still haven't heard anyone give a good answer to the question of why is it more egregious to target, and kill a fish like this with a speargun than to target (bait, depth, lures, habitat, etc) and kill a fish like this with a pole?

I'd venture that the stimulus for this here feeding frenzy was the ego-puffing, not what this guy actually did.

Most participants on this board also kill fish. A number of those fish-killers do it for entertainment; a prime example is catch and release. But few dare to blatantly brag here about their heroic feats. :lol:

--Larry

hmm ... if that is the case, it seems a little disingenuous to me. The common theme seems to be that spearfishing for trophy fish of this species is bad, but killing these fish by more conventional means is ok as long as you don't brag about it?

I don't really know anything about spearfishing, except it looks cool. If I ever get the chance to do it, I will keep in mind what I have learned on this board before pulling the trigger.
The sport fishing I do is almost entirely catch, and release (sorry for playing with my food). I only keep fish that are edible in one sitting with the group I am with. Maybe this Spearfishing report is fiction and just an attempt to rile everyone up, if so I took the bait ...again. I think we may have beaten this horse to death, and I am the worst culprit.
BTW I found David K's point about not viciously pouncing on other posts to be a breath of fresh air.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.