BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 07:15 PM

Here is what I know (or think I do) based on a very short meeting w/Emy when I was in Mulege last week on our annual uniform buying trip for scholarship students in Mulege.
Med school has 3 categories of cost for the purposes of this discussion.
1) Inscripcion- call it $10k/semester (all in pesos)
2) Mensualidad- tad under $40k/semester (can be paid monthly, hence the name)
3) living expenses, travel, internet & phone, clothing, rent, food, med uniforms, med materials, blah, blah, blah.

#1 & 2 are biggies, and are paid to the school, eating up about $4,000US per semester. We raised her first semester's "tuition" costs here by Nomads. This cost level is based on Emy not receiving a scholarship for these costs. According to her, 10,000 applicants take the test, 300 seats to fill. Of the 300, some get scholarship. She hoped to be one, but alas, it didn't happen.

After her first term or first year, not fully clear on the timeframe she envisions, she can apply to have her "contract" altered to pay what the public scholarship students pay. Likewise, I'm not sure what the real odds of achieving this savings are ITRW. The basic formula may make sense based on drop-out attrition opening up scholarship spots or something like that. I have an email to Emy about details for this. I'm sure she is up to her eyeballs in details of locating housing, etc. and won't get back to me for a while. We have some time to figure out the next steps, thanks to all who contributed.

And, THANKS!! to all who contributed. :spingrin:

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 08:06 PM

Engineer Mike - I am confused as to why Emy cannot apply for the Mulege scholarship that you are connected with ??? Maybe it is only for highschoolers ???

Did I understand correctly that we have paid her mensualidades and inscripcion for the whole first semester ??? So, she still needs money for rent and food etc? Is her family able to handle all that part ???

AkMaxx - do you know the answers to the above ?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
akmaxx
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 8-1-2010 at 09:37 PM
U2U for you BBlanca. Cheers.

akmaxx
Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 8-2-2010 at 04:29 PM
Thanks KP for the ongoing support....Emilia is in Guadalajara and ready to start school

:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 01:21 PM
A note from La Doctora

The following is an excerpt from an email Emilia sent me. Sounds like med school in Mexico is a little more intense than being a freshman in the states:

"I went to the university, I am a student now, I will be going monday to friday from 7a.m. to 5p.m. and saturday from 7a.m. to 1p.m.,
so Ill have a looot to do and study...
The clases are verry interesting tho, so its all good..."

Thanks for the 1000th time everybody who helped Emilia get from Mulege to medical school. It wouldn't have happened this quick without you.

Peace.
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 09:41 AM

BajaBlanca-
Thanks for the question. Emilia has been accepted for our scholarship, and we have pledges for the money from solid donantes (donors; when I say "solid" what I mean is a sponsor who is making a commitment in the same way as a parent, i.e. "I will make this happen for as long as she will make it happen" vs one-time or occasional donations). We are not a rich Program and we appreciate all donations, especially those that come w/commitment to go a distance. We have some of the money in hand, & I expect to see the rest for this year within 30 days. This will provide for $600/semester for the term of her major (5 years in this case), the same as for other Muleginos on our Program.

Our scholarship is not enough to send a kid thru college, unless the kid qualifies for other scholarships; e.g. room/board at the state's Casa de Estudiantes in La Paz & enrollment in a public college there gets a student close enough that cost is no longer an excuse not to complete a college degree, even w/practically nil from one's parents. Obviously w/the stratospheric cost of med-school, Emilia's trajectory is very different. For example, while other students may work some while in college, med students (see Emy's 1st semester schedule) would have to cancel sleep to get any paying work in and still do their primary job- study. So its a great thing that the Nomads have chipped in to make the inscripcion/mensualidad possible for Emy's first semester. We will have to do that again near Christmas for sure, and perhaps each semester, and I have my contributions ready.

Our Program has ~80 kids on scholarship this year, 50 in local schools receiving uniforms & school related clothes/shoes, and inscripcion (middle & high- i.e. Secundaria & CECYT), and 30 in colleges around Mexico (mostly in La Paz & at the Tecnologico in Santa Rosalia). My wife & I pay the costs of operating the Program, all our Scholarship related travel, and we donate for scholarships (i.e. the cooks eat here). Our kindly sponsors provide the rest of the scholarship money. And hopefully us Nomads will provide the rest of the rest of the money to help Emy make ends meet. "I'm all in," as they say.

Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 09:48 AM

Phenomenal work Mike.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 12:21 PM
Thank you JH. We will probably be continuing the fundraising in the future

It really depends on whether or not Emilia can secure work/study/scholarships.

I had no idea that the University of Guadalajara was such a prestigious medical school, until I looked them up online, and Emilia is lucky to be attending. There will be fierce competition for scholarships, but I would back Emilia in any fight.

If and when the need arises for more funding to keep her dreams afloat, I will be sure to make an appeal to you on Emilia's behalf.

Dreaming of the first thing I will do when I return home to Baja,

Maxx..
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 02:55 PM

The Univ. of Gde is indeed a prestigious school. I have had several clients send their children there from the States to study at the Medical School because it is so difficult to make the cut in the US medical schools.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 08:22 PM

wow !!! we put her in the Univ de Guad !!!!!

Engineer Mike - this will be my project #5612345678 but I wd like to participate more in the scholarship program ... trying to get either ongoing or one time donors for the scholarships ... Do you have anything in writing that you send to possible donors ???

The bike and surf club members here in La Bocana wants to help out so we will hold a carwash or bake sale or second hand stuff sale and donate that money towards Emy.

Again - akmaxx - great job in rallying everyone together and making it happen. I roomed with a med student at UCSD - never saw him except to eat. For a whole year. But the guy aced all his tests. My roomies loved me: I worked in pizza restaurant and brought back pizza 6 nights a week. Oh to be in college and poor :)))))))))))))))))))

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 8-19-2010 at 07:47 AM

Great News Michael

Glad to hear that Emy has been accepted into your program. Great addition to your "portfolio" of students. As I've made the rounds to several Rotary clubs up here in the US I've brought up Emy's case and have yet to get anything other than a positive response. So I envision a role for the Mulege Rotary if it is needed. I would, of course, need to pitch it to the membership and call for a vote, but with Emy's cousin being a Rotarian, I think the two of us can present a compelling case.
So, lets the three of us meet in Oct., as previously planned, and we'll figure out what the number should be.

Great job.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2010 at 11:39 PM
La Doctora in School....Check out all the skulls

Hope this pictures works. Emilia with all her colleagues and skulls. She looks very happy.

La Doctora in school.jpg - 2kB
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for sharing and all the work you personally provided. I am sure I speak for all that we are very glad to be able to help Emilia.

Planting seeds for Mexico's future...

Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 08:11 PM

Thanks for the picture!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:15 PM

great to see a picture of our future doctor !! Because of this, I was inspired to start a college scholarship fund for the LA BOCANA surf and bike club members ... we have one going off to college when he finishes cecyte (high school) !! Seeing that Mike made it happen gave me the inspiration to make it happen for the club kids ...

Come visit La Bocana

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 11:30 PM
Mulege Scholarship Program

Blanca- Thanks for the compliment, but we (EngineerAnnie & I) didn't start the Program in Mulege. That honor and distinction goes to Judy Tussy of Rio Vista, CA. Judy started teaching English in the primary at Loma Azul. At some point, she noticed that two of her best students wouldn't be attending 7th grade as the familia couldn't afford uniforms. Along w/a friend, she started the Scholarship Program that year w/3 kids (1987). I didn't come along till the late '90's as a sponsor. Then when the Tussy's needed some help my wife & I hopped on board to help w/administration.

Judy & her husband Hank should be in Mulege by now, in the Oasis Rio Baja park on the south side of the river just past the big bridge, next development east of the Orchard. If anybody wants to stop by and say hola, feel free- house #M-3 right by the park Office. I received the sad news the Tussy's will list their house for sale at the end of this trip after many decades, oodles of fishing, fish fries, Pig Roasts at the Serenidad, etc. They will continue to visit from time to time, but w/their long and many contributions to the well being of one of Baja's remote & impecunious towns, this feels like the passing of an era. This thread is a great place to say thanks a million to a pair of originals (did I mention Hank did 5 landings at Normandie on D-Day driving landing crafts w/loads of G.I.'s?) for all they've done to further education for those who couldn't afford it otherwise. They have been a blessing to the 55 college graduates from our Program so far, and the families those kids support, and 100 more that might not have finished high school.

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 11:39 PM
Letter from El Medico:

This in from Emilia tonight, which I'm sure goes out to all her supporters-

How are you? I hope everything is going well lately.

This month I have so much to tell you about school! first it is the best thing that ever happened to me, second- I didn't know I could be sleepless for so long!

The first week went by very lightly, some homework, a lot of reading, going to the lab one day and studying about bones, and muscles, ant tissues. this last week was my first exam week, and it was exhausting. I had an exam on every class that I take but the hardest ones where Anatomy and Histology. We were all studying so hard that we hardly sleep, the classroom smelled like coffee all day and we were reading and talking every subject when ever we had the chance.

Now most of the professors are very nice and good, but there is one who is not exactly the favorite, not even the rest of the school workers like him, still he said he really liked working with my classroom because we were always worried about learning more. later that week we had a disagreement with him and we are not his favorite class anymore, it doesn't matter we still study as hard and wish he will understand that we are there for the same reason as him learning. another difficult teacher is the anatomy one, he is not mean but he is very clear on everything and he is respected everywhere, he is writing a book about anatomy (I have read a part and it is really good), he studied to be a M.D. and to be dentist, and went L.A. California to specialize in surgery, he is a brilliant professor.

so this week was exhausting but totally worth. I had the best grades on anatomy (A) of my class and did better that I thought in most classes, I have a great feeling about how much I'm learning and what kind of doctor I'm becoming.

Not everything is beautiful and not every one really loves it, and its hard when you have to face it, the only way to go hardly eating, hardly sleeping to school is if when you get to the class you forget all that and give your best, when you know that you love so much what you are doing and that you wouldn't be doing anything else if you could. When we started the semester we where 34 for in my class, after some weeks we are only 30, 4 left and it feels sad when you see them leaving. the first one was a boy, no one really got to know him because he left the first week, the second one was a girl, really smart and nice, she wanted to be a psychiatrist, she said that it wasn't for her and she had to find her real inspiration somewhere else, the 3th one was a real shame, everybody liked her, very nice and very smart, but she said wanted to look good all the time and that not sleeping made her look bad, so she left, the 4th one left for the same reason, and because she said she couldn't handle to work so much and feel like learning so little.

This sure is not an easy profession, you will not see your friend or family a lot of times, you may miss their birthday, and holidays but is not only at school, that's forever, and that's because someone, somewhere needs you more than them.

I feel very good studying and I feel very interested in research. Thank you very much for all that you have done for me, I keep you in my heart all the time, and I promised I will work very hard everyday, and I will make you proud. Sincerely, Emilia.

Sharrone
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 12:13 AM

That is one great kid. I am so thankful that I could help her a little.
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 11:07 AM

What an inspiration!
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2010 at 12:47 PM

December missive from Emilia:

how are you now days? I guess really Happy, now is time to be home for the Holidays! I cant wait to be in mine sharing good times with my love ones.

So, we have come to the end of the semester! it is incredible! this sure is the best experience of my life.

I read about 4000 book pages, many articles, wrote about leukemia, learn all the 206 bones, 501 muscles (according to S.) the respiratory system, the circulatory system, the urinary system, and many other systems. all about tissues, THERE ARE MANY! psychology, sociology, public health. what happens with a baby day to day, week to week until the baby is born, and so on and on...

anyway that's only a part of all that I learn in some months, many incredible things of the human body, we are so complex and so perfect and beautiful inside, all at the same time!

and I want to tell you how thankful I am and how much I appreciate that you have made possible for me to see and learn this. thank you you are amazing!

I'm in Guadalajara as I write this, but I will be home in Mulege the 23th, I cant wait to hug everybody again!

All went well, my classes were difficult and there were some very good students in my class, one of them was doing the first semester of medicine for the 3th time! he was good!

anyway I manege to be top 3 of my class, and my goal is to be top one next semester, I'm sure giving the best of me.

I hope you have a great Holiday, I'm sending you my best wishes! a big hug, and thanks with all of my heart!

sincerely,
Emilia.

"everything happens for a reason"...
""even when we are not wise enough to see it.""

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.