[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by coolhand
You really need to explore.

Some day we should compare notes as to how much we have each explored :)

On the other hand I had read somewhere that Thoreau had spent an entire lifetime within 50 miles of Concord and found enough to write 12 tomes of books. You don't really have to go far to discover.

Since you're a photographer, Ken .... I found that the less walking I did on those workshops the better the images were. Kind of like that Morro Bay wharf you've been diving for the past 5 years (I was sorry to read that that's coming to an end now).

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Wise words as usual Igor. I really don't have any interest in "comparing notes" with coolhand about how much we have each explored. I just thought telling me that I "need to explore" before I could judge PSFO was a VERY condescending remark from someone who has no idea how much I have "explored", both in Baja and in the rest of the world. I really don't need a lecture on exploring. I'll stand by my opinion that San Francisquito is a very unique place and one of the most beautiful stretches of beach on the peninsula. I like the way Coleen described it, "The whole place is like life strained down to its simplest and most wonderful elements...sea, sky and sand. Sun, stars and moon." But then I probably should explore more :)

carpe diem!
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 07:57 AM

I could sort of go both ways on this one...
As one who has traveled Central America / Mexico since the early 70's when it took endless days of dirt/mountain/jungle road to get "there" and often finding only inhospitable elements, there is something to be said of returning or visiting a place already known and perhaps somewhat occupied (NOT CANCUN type! Or even Cabo for me though!)

I have driven down a long dirt road in Central with a surf buddy, slid our boards in front of us along a muddy, thorn bushed overgrown animal trail on our hands and knees for a half our ending on the one side of a 12 inch deep sketchy swamp, turning our boards fins up and paddling across to a 2 story high sand dune and when cresting that seeing 20 + foot waves with no definable surf zone, looking like victory at sea! This requiring a return trip back through all of that and then driving till dark back to the main dirt road heading south.

Exploring? Yea let’s compare notes and then I’ll tell you why it doesn’t bother me to return to where I have been or go to where others have found Nirvana.

One thing I have learned about Baja…the road is filled with vehicles with boards stacked high, first time one of them sees you turn off the highway with your boards their heads turn and if not follow you, they make mental notes. You can never have it all to yourself forever. Time is short for all of us, if you want to use it ‘exploring’ then I can hang with that, but once you find it and return, you too are no longer exploring.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
You really need to explore. I once thought the beaches mentioned on Nomad were the beaches to hit. Not so. Everytthing mentioned on this board may lead you in the right direction, but take it as a grain of salt. The best beaches are a 1-1000 miles away from every Nomad Report!

R

right on! that's as it should be. who wants to read a travel guide and show up to the same place? finding it yourself is so much more rewarding......:light:

That is certainly true for some, but I get just as much pleasure out of visiting and appreciating places that other's have referred me to------it's ALL good!!!! I have always thought that San Francisquito was a magical place, no matter the condition of the facilities or no facilities at all, and it gets even more magical the further you travel south from there towards Los Corrales.

Barry
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 10:26 AM

Curt63 - not Genaro, he died before 2012 of a liver disease. been gone a few years now.
good pic tho!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
You really need to explore. I once thought the beaches mentioned on Nomad were the beaches to hit. Not so. Everytthing mentioned on this board may lead you in the right direction, but take it as a grain of salt. The best beaches are a 1-1000 miles away from every Nomad Report!

R

While I subscribe to isolated camping, no services or facilities needed, (and haul out what you bring in), I don't think you know all the beaches that have been reported on Nomad to say we here don't know any or haven't named them.

Baja's isolated beaches will remain mostly just that because there are only some of us who like solitude, or being off the grid, or driving in four wheel drive to get there.

I have been sharing photos and directions to Shell Island since I first camped out there and since I started my web site... and it is still as beautiful and unspoiled as it was the first time there... I am not expecting it to always be that way, but it is still... and only 3 hours drive from the border.

Here it was last July... and it was in my Nomad report ;)

;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

R

right on! that's as it should be. who wants to read a travel guide and show up to the same place? finding it yourself is so much more rewarding......:light:

I jump on this band wagon! Exploring has always been a great passion.
Our first trip to San Francisquito was done on a whim. We were driving south on our honeymoon. We look at it on a map and went. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! You guys that spent a lot of time there, I am envious. Usually we chose to surf the other side. I hope it's changes are slow.
I personalty enjoy comparing notes with others. It just needs to be around a campfire or a drink.
I hate when I see the travel log of visitor who has is not invested and doesn't care what the outcome of their sharing is. Many a good places have been brought to their knees by good intentions.
If a local is promoting something,they will live with the outcome. I support it 100%.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.