Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I asked Graham about what he's doing about water, and he has one of those (or like it) but it takes an hour of pumping just to get a gallon. So, he is bringing water and has his still, like from the 1980's walk.

no no,, stranded with out beer,,, he is going to double up on beer,,
he dont need no stinking water :lol::lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I got the scoop on the desal unit. You were right Dennis....they are using one of the smaller units...the Katadyn Survivor 35:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by BajaGeoff]

Here's the specs:

Dimensions (cm)
14.0 x 55.9 x 8.9

Dimensions (in)
5.5 x 22 x 3.5

Output (gal)
1.2 gal/h (± 15%)

Output (L)
4.5 l/h (± 15%)

Salt rejection (average)
98.4% (min. 95.3%)

Technology
Reverse Osmosis

Weight (grams)
3.20 kg

Weight (oz)
7.00 lbs
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:14 PM

Pull it together and walk slowly and carefully, c'mon you guys don't give up. Pay attention.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:21 PM
Mr. Pampas I presume...

Just had a very nice dinner with Justin and Brian. Because they were staying outside the Carnival area, and wanted to get back to plan the rest of their trip, they didn't want to travel too far to eat. They asked to go to a local, authentic place for dinner. I had heard that there was an Argentinian steak house near where they were staying, and when we walked in there, there was no one eating there. We all felt that was a bad sign, so we headed out to Mr. Pampas, a local Brazilian style eatery that is very popular with professional locals, and had unlimited cuts of every meat available. The boys definitely needed a protein boost, so they sampled everything from pollo to filet mignon. They are very polite young men, and very unassuming. Brian is a wilderness first responder, and knows how to respond to any medical emergency, and the blisters were very minor and healing. They are very excited about their next leg of the journey, and anxious to get on their way. I will meet up with them in a month or two to see how they are progressing. I enjoyed their company and share their enthusiasm for anyone that wants to live their dream.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:41 PM

Sounds great and very hospitable of you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:48 PM

I felt it was important to show my support of living the healthy lifestyle, especially during National Heart Month.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just had a very nice dinner with Justin and Brian. They asked to go to a local, authentic place for dinner. I had heard that there was an Argentinian steak house near where they were staying, and when we walked in there, there was no one eating there. We all felt that was a bad sign, so we headed out to Mr. Pampas, a local Brazilian style eatery that is very popular with professional locals, and had unlimited cuts of every meat available.

not for nuthing, but isn't authentic and local a seafood joint or taco stand? South America is a long way from local.....

now, back you your regular programming.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 10:57 PM

I have been living in Ensenada a long time, Woody, and Pampas is the place to go for the local professionals, as I mentioned before. It was very crowded with local Ensenadienses. What do you consider local for say, New York City? You are in the US, but many say New York has the best Italian, Chinese and whatever part of the world's food you want to sample. Pampas is a very celebrated restaurant here in Ensenada. I think we all need to get away with thinking about Baja as all beer, tacos, or pescado entero. Let's credit Ensenada as being a city with cultural diversion, and Baja, especially in the larger cities like Ensenada, having native residents that enjoy the cultural diversity.

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:03 PM

i guess i read it wrong, but So America is still a long walk away. Baja starts with tacos filled with everything imaginable.

why do you think they called them "burritos"? because they come with everything on their back!

if i want Peruvian i'll stay home or go to Ken's......

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:06 PM

You know what, Woody, they told me they ate cones of beans on the way down the hill to El Sauzal. I am sure they will make you happy and eat your idea of what Baja food is all the way through San Quintin, and south of San Quintin... burritos, tacos...frankly, I can't eat that food everyday of the week and I live in Baja. Do you eat All-American, US food everyday of the week when you are in the States? Or do you want to eat Mexican food 365 days a year so you feel like you are in Baja? Beans, Beans and more beans, carne asada, fish tacos...all filled with manteca or fried in manteca...no bueno!!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:11 PM

not trying to start another fight, just saying my idea of local and authentic don't include So America. McDonalds might qualify as local and authentic, i guess!

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:12 PM

Well, my idea of authentic is where the locals go to eat...expand your horizons a little, my friend!!
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:13 PM

Hola Doc, then you´ll need a few more years to discover authentic local food.

I can list you a dozen of places that are not taco joints, how about authentic comida oaxaquena in El Rinconcito Oaxaqueño, or pozole and antojitos mexicanos in El parian, real local seafood with Marco Antonio or La avioneta. I guess you´ve never been to el Taco de Huitzilopochtli en Valle Verde also. Las Cazuelas de Kiki or Las Palmas have excellent chefs. If you want to indulge yourself, go to El rey Sol.

But Pampas as representative of Ensenada food scene?, no way.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:16 PM

Well, that is a great idea...so then why don't you take them to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning to where you feel is the best place...I took them somewhere where I thought they might enjoy the food. Come to think of it, Las Cazuelas has a great breakfast, their email is: whatiswest@gmail.com.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Well, my idea of authentic is where the locals go to eat...expand your horizons a little, my friend!!

you make my argument! close by means local, not authentic!

anyway. they are burping so who cares?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 11:22 PM

You guys all have the chance to take them for breakfast, lunch and dinner wherever you like, and let them be the judge of what they consider authentic. Like I said, their email is whatiswest@gmail.com.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 12:50 AM

What happened to El Taco de Huitzlipochtli (sp?) It was ten years ago we ate there. DavidE turned us onto this jewel of Aztec food and said then it was the best food in
Mexico!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What happened to El Taco de Huitzlipochtli (sp?) It was ten years ago we ate there. DavidE turned us onto this jewel of Aztec food and said then it was the best food in
Mexico!

The owner passed away. I don't know if it's still open or not.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:03 AM

David, this place is very close to my home in Ensenada, in Valle Verde where I live. I remember in medical school, there was an Orthopedics professor teaching us the musculoskeletal system who raved about the place but he used to go for a bowlful of entrails every year or so, which he said was full of fat so he couldn't eat it often. Just the idea of entrails turned me off as I am not a huge fan of menudo, etc. Anyway, I just looked it up and surprisingly Tillie Foster was there this year in January. Don't know if you know Tillie Foster, but she works at the San Nicolas Hotel in Ensenada, and is the most active 82 year old lady I know. She is on her way to Puerto Vallarta and will be going to Guerrero Negro to see the whales in a few months. She is also the liason known to the American Consulate and Sharp Health care as many of these presentations are given at the San Nicholas hotel...also organizer of the Red Hat Ladies of Ensenada. She is a very sweet and friendly lady. Here is the link to her review of the restaurant (also a map to the place) on Trip advisor. I will go there today and check it out and report back since two of the Nomads on this thread have raved about it as it appears to have more than entrails. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d153696...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

you make my argument! close by means local, not authentic!

anyway. they are burping so who cares?

Woodenman:
you are full of bs. Tacos are not authentic. Kumeyaay Indians ate acorns, yucca, berries, fish and game. Local Indians did not farm/eat corn. It was all hunting/gathering. No farming! No ranching!

P.s. the authentic food was crappy food. I would choose the Argentinian restaurant over a Kumeyaay restaurant!
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.