BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8
Author: Subject: 75 Anniv. Baja Pole Line Run - Feb. 18, 19, 20th 2017 - planning thread
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:12 PM
Good insurance

I am going to lead this run for the stock vehicle to get him through safely. Please consider an OIL PAN SKIDPLATE.

Install it prior to the run. If you cannot, just bring it, and install it on the run. Make sure that you bring the tools to do the job. I am buying mine today from Metalcloak.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:14 PM

Yikes!:(
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Yikes!:(

No need to worry. This won't be an extreme run. Just make the necessary preparations to avoid losing your motor oil on the trail.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:26 PM

I´m good with under armor. Looks like I´ll be testing it big time!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:33 PM
4x4 ABC

4x4 ABC wasn't phased by these photos. They might damage a vehicle's rocker panels, or cut a tire. Tire repair kits might make a worthwhile investment.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:34 PM

TW's Bronco hill = The hill TW pulled the Bronco up (with his TACOMA), at our camp location (see "CAMP" on map).

Ken, I think the washed out road in the photos, is the grade up (west) from our camp to the mesa with all the phone poles (where the Bronco broke down). 'Bad Hill' (Neal Johns' named) is the other side of that mesa heading down its west side.

Blue Arrow pointed at the washed out photo grade, I think. Ed to verify.

[Edited on 1-22-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 12:43 PM

You are correct David.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 01:01 PM

Bummer as at the top of that grade is where you can see all the full size phone poles for the first time if coming from Hwy. 5/ La Ventana.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
During the past weekend, I took the Jeep to Joshua Tree and did further vehicle testing. The suspension works great. The onboard air system worked flawlessly.

On Wednesday, Leidys and I celebrated a major milestone.:!:

I am ordering Pole Line Run apparel this week. With Christmas and Anniversary within 2 days, the t-shirts had to be postponed.

Congratulations
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Congratulations

Gracias amigo!

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:33 PM

We headed home from San felipe saturday morning to avoid the scheduled protest on sunday. I decided to show my friend from Washington the Pole Line road. I explained the history of the road on the way there. We had our bikes in the back of the truck and since I was concerned about leaving our stuff unattended I drove in to the first well and asked Alberto if he would keep an eye on it. The road all the way in to the second well was graded and fast. From there we jumped in the wash( arroyo grande?)and rode in the whoops of a recent race. We blasted down the wash missing the plr turnoff by at least 10 miles. I was going purely from memory. We got to a very narrow part of the wash and water was starting to flow so we turned around and headed back to find the road.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:38 PM

Once on the plr it was clear it hadn't seen any traffic in a long time. Just after the first pole on the hill is the first washout. It has the bypass we used on the last plr trip. From there it was clear sailing all the way to the wash (jaquel) . Here the road we had repaired on the last trip was gone.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:45 PM

This is what's left of the road we built.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:49 PM

Getting the bikes down into the wash wasn't much of a problem. Continuing on the climb out of the wash had a 2' cliff to climb. We rode another 1/2 mile and came to a mess.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:52 PM

This is now the road up the hill. A road we came down easily on the last trip.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 03:56 PM

This is were I stopped. I was way too far from the nearest hospital to try it. The guy I was riding with is a way better rider than me and slowly worked his way over the top. He came back and told me it was rough all the way to the top. We headed back to the truck without seeing another person or vehicle. We crossed at Mexicali without incident and rolled into my drive around midnight.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 04:21 PM

Thanks Ed,

Yes, if you head south of the wells in Arroyo Grande sticking to the SCORE arrows, you miss the Pole Line Road start... remember next time to take the fork to the right, keeping to the right side of the arroyo. It is 5.2 miles from the well (Alberto) to the Pole Line Road junction.

I hope your friend looked off to the right when he got to the top of that grade... as that is where the line of poles are... but about a half mile to right of the road... you have to look for them.

Your photos just above is the long grade that we went down pulling the Bronco as it was getting dark. The blue arrow:

The grade Neal Johns named "Bad Hill" is the other end of that "Pole Mesa".

Obviously, this east side grade is a BADDER HILL!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 05:35 PM

That hill with the right turn ahead of wher the pic was taken was pretty bad for my first drive in 2014. We spent a half hour stacking rocks so my big Bronco could avoid the holes. As You know that rig was running on 35s.
So it look like more effort. At least we will be going down hill whereas Ehall was trying to go up hill like I was in 2014.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2017 at 07:57 PM

I really appreciate everyone's efforts to keep this route passable. I plan on bringing a tire plug kit and an extra yank strap just in case.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 08:50 PM

Mrs. Cooke wants to go on this run in 3 weeks. We're crossing our fingers that her travel documents arrive by the 17th so this can be possible. With a lead time of 23 days, I'm hoping that her passport and/or passcard arrives in time.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.