Well...that's a start.

Thanks, guys.

Jeeezo....I'm starting to sound like DK. :lol:

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by DENNIS]
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 07:46 PM

are we just tired???...my shoulders feel a little tight..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
are we just tired???...my shoulders feel a little tight..

I think everybody involved in any way has to be tired.
G'nite all.
SharonT

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
If you're living in a big arroyo(a drainage area) and the rains come, you're gonna get wet. Geez! This is the second time in 5 yrs. that Mulege has been flooded.

Actually, it was the third time in four years. I think a pattern is developing.

For those that were asking, unlike the U.S., Mexican insurance does include flood coverage. We are insured and were able to collect monies after both John and Julio. We will try to collect after Jemina also, but honestly don't expect to be insured again. While we have a permanent structure in Mulege (not a trailer or palapa) it was built to withstand this type of disaster. We will go in and muck out and try to help rebuild the Oasis community again. It is more about the people than the structures. We will bring down our garage sale couches and chairs and start over and will feel blessed to do so, insurance or not. We are just lucky this is our second home and didn't lose everything like many in the community at large.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 08:54 PM

Alright Sharon!....we're on the same page...not sure where you are located in the oasis but we're in #54, and like you, we still have a house standing...down this week to muck up

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
you "mud people"

Just had to say it, didn't you. I hope it was in the right spirit of the event.

I dunno, just yesterday I smacked a guy with my purse when he laughingly made that old joke about how I need to build my house so it floats. Now mind you, I didn't smack him hard and the joke was funny to him (and it is a little bit, but I've heard it a thousand times since H. John) and he was smiling when he said it, and I was smiling when I smacked him, and.... well, you get the picture....
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 11:44 PM

Original Post Topic: Jimena photo links - consolidated

I'm tired of wading through the Jimena topic to find and refind links to photos and other material.

So, I've added a few pages to my own website. On one page, you can find links to all the photo galleries and albums available so far.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/Jimena_links.html

This is also a place where I'll be posting links and current info for donations once that gets up and running.

Another page has a summary of the Hurricane and it's aftermath, so if you want to let others who know nothing know about the storm, this is a good place to go.

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/jimena_aftermath.html

Please let me know of any links for donations or photos that I can add to the page.

Thanks!

Debra

www.lasecomujeres.org
(Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:21 AM

ecomujeres...Thank-you ..This will be invaluable to many of us..Wish I would have had the smarts to do so myself.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 04:08 AM
Some thoughts after the storm

Unlike H.John we are not seeing important items like mosquito spray and netting and tarps and twine being manifested.
There's gotta be some Nomads with those connects here. Look at Walmarts, REI, Home Depot etc. etc.

GET WITH IT PEOPLE!!! MULEGE NEEDS YOUR HELP ASAP!!

Cmon you guys, get off the stick and ask the BIG BOSS or MANAGER if they could donate useful items.;

Hey, it couldn't hurt to try! Sorry about the lack of press coverage. As usual, the hurricane(regardless of strength) loses any sigificance if it misses Cabo.

Contact Dennis if you have anything that needs material transmission. He has assumed a great function and I thank him too.

Bob, I thought long and hard(which was hard) and methinks I owe you some space. Perhaps what we think is not what is reality.

You are correct in the context that we are safe and healthy. My bad for taking it another way.

You know what our material losses are there, but it's certainly a whole lot more than that. We love Mulege. We'll camp there, spend money there, explore there, basically just have fun there. We love the people and atmosphere. It's an adventurers' paradise.

It's a problem for sure investing and building on or near bodies of water these days. I mean, cmon two hundred year bstorms in 3 years? WTF?

Let us get back to the useful and appropriate use of this magnificent place. I dunno but we have to go back and enjoy.:yes:

I have been so amazed and proud at the way Mulege and it's people can somehow overcome hardship & restore the town over and over. I love these people and their tenacity.

They are the salt of the earth. Let us learn volumes from them. Watch what they do, Mulege will live, prosper, it's a special place.

The moist fertile valley and rio beckons all who come to the oasis by the sea. Feel the warmth and friendship.

Bob,
That's all we really wanted to do in the first place. I'm so sorry it became so much more.

Paz, Corky

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
my email to corky read...

"you are blessed...
at least you aren't sleeping in the muk"

it ment...
at least he is safe and alive and dry

i'm sorry corky if you misunderstood this

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
SharonT

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 07:05 AM

MulegeMike,
Tussy's casa is M-3/Oasis, which I believe is just across the road from you. BOB and Hank and EngineerMike will be leaving US on Thursday, expected arrival in Mulege Friday or Saturday with RV trailer in tow. We will bring as much relief supplies as possible. Talked with Rafa Custa yesterday and he concurrs about the collapse of the Mulege economy. Locals are very scared and fearful. Most are still in serious shock. Rafa buried his dad on Wednesday morning. Rafa cut his finger pretty badly, but said at his age, he no longer uses it anyway. Many families are homeless, but most are living with other families. Rafa hopes many Americans will hire locals, like in HJohn to clean up and help stimulate the local economy in the process. Mulegeians are a strong resilant people and the commuunity will rebuild and survive. It will just take a little longer this time.
Mika
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 07:51 AM

Hi,

Anyone know how Loreto is now? Some of my friends are now in GN, and they are wondering if they should hurry through Loreto as well and drive all the way to La Paz.
Pebbles

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 08:36 AM

Loreto did not receive a lot of damage. Mostly just trees, signs, roof tiles etc. Biggest issue of course was electricity and water being out until Sunday. Storm was north of Loreto but seemed like it blew forever because it was turing and going up coast. Friends have driven to Constitucion for fresh vegetables and roads were open. Lots of damage there however.

Life is Good
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I was thinking that rebuilding along the Mulege river will never be allowed again.... only at higher elevations .... maybe a road, but no dwellings... comments?
Bob H

For the sake of discussion, why would the government prohibit rebuilding? That would decrease the incentive to clean-up and eliminate the jobs and inflow of cash that rebuilding would bring. It would also have long term negative economic effects in that fewer people with reliable income would be living there, supporting the local businesses.

In this particular case, if someone wants to take the risk, they should be allowed. High risk, yes, but the reward can be high. Rio Mulege, or whatever the river is named, is a unique place and I certainly understand why people want to live there.
austriaco

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 09:27 AM

Being here in Vienna/Austria, I wondered what I could do to help the Mulegenos. So I contacted the Austrian Red Cross. They told me that they are aware of the situation and monitor it closely.
They do not see a necessity to make an announcement for help or to set up a special account, as long as the Mexican Red Cross has not made an international appeal for help. They will inform me if this situation changes.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:20 AM
Donations for Mulege

Austriaco- that "international appeal" nonsense is a fine bureaucratic thumb sucking excuse, also known as fiddling while Rome burns. Large NGO's are like that much of the time, sad to say. If the disaster is not fund-raising type of visible, it is frequently ignored. And Mulege's biggest problem now & throughout its history is its relative remoteness. Vast majority of travelers to points south in Baja fly right over Mulege and don't even know where it is or even that it exists. Of those who drive, the vast majority drive right on by. This is a small, and economically isolated pueblo of a few thousand people, who are desperate for help.

Just as one example, I spoke to a local by cell phone this a.m.- his father-in-law (late stage diabetic) is incontinent among many complications of his condition, and they lost everything. We will be taking adult diapers, food, clothing, bedding, temp repair items for the house, etc. for this family and lots more. These are needs that the govt will never reach. Govt may send one mattress per family up to the point the mattress shipment is expended (i.e. regardless of actual needs assessment), and some stoves (again based on some arbitrary number of stoves the govt agency has budge for, not according to a well managed needs assessment). Because of the wind, there may be a truck of roofing, same ratio to needs as mattresses & stoves- arbitrary & per budgets which will be insufficient.

If you believe there is need in excess of what is being delivered, (and that judgement is yours and yours alone when you decide to donate here or anywhere), you can donate HERE or

Mulege Student Scholarship Program is accepting donations for direct relief (you can search previous posts on this thread) via paypal at Mike@Fleming.cc or via check in regular or express mail at MSSP, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603, USA, or

you can stay tuned here on Baja Nomad as I believe there are Rotary Clubs in northern California getting together to raise funds especially for this, and there may be other avenues about to surface as well.
Thanks for your interest. That Baja Nomad reaches Austria is rather amazing. Our world is shrinking in an important sense.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico

In this particular case, if someone wants to take the risk, they should be allowed.

If people want to build on a flood plane over an over, suffering the losses put upon them by Hurricanes over and over, appealing to disaster relief efforts over and over, it is evident that someone has to do their thinking for them. Their decission to endanger themselves and ther property over and over is not sound.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS[/i

If people want to build on a flood plane over an over, suffering the losses put upon them by Hurricanes over and over, appealing to disaster relief efforts over and over, it is evident that someone has to do their thinking for them. Their decission to endanger themselves and ther property over and over is not sound.

Biloxi, Hilton Head, the Barrier islands, Grand Rapids, New Orleans, Padre islands around Galveston, most of the Mississippi, etc. Not just a Mulege trait apparently.

And I forgot the Sacramento Delta. Seen several major floods with major damage during my years in Sacramento

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Biloxi, Hilton Head, the Barrier islands, Grand Rapids, New Orleans, Padre islands around Galveston, most of the Mississippi, etc. Not just a Mulege trait apparently.

I guess not. Makes you wonder.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:55 AM

Dennis- you may have a point in such cases as the indigenous population has other options for housing. Not sure how to apply that in the arroyo that is Mulege.

As to the tourist population, if anything you said about is true about them, they should be ostracized. If tourist/river-dwellers are lining up to further tax local relief efforts, shame on them.
HOWEVER, to the extent the tourist population chooses to brave the risks, take the hits, pay hotel bills to brave the storm, then dig in to be part of the relief effort for affected locals (which by far and away in my experience is the majority), and plow big sweaty wads of money into the local economy to rebuild, buy food in the restaurants & stores, donate flood soaked stuff to their temporary employees, and stick it out for another year of supporting the local economy, then I'm not sure what there is to gripe about. Sounds like the government should declare a tax-free-zone for tourists along the river to encourage such risk taking, and concomitant support for a hugely disadvantaged local population.
Just my $.02

BTW, just got a solid report on my place- ceiling is on the floor, laundry room is rubble. Please don't bother doing my thinking for me. I'm going to bebuild, and the local economy will be better for it, I'm certain.

Also BTW, there has never been a more important time in Mulege to get kids the resources they need to pursue a college education, get a good paying job (which they won't find in Mulege) and get a system of intra-familia transfers in place that will help support those family members who remain as well as the future kids of those current students. For those whose inclination to help trends toward education, please feel free to email me at mike@fleming.cc for info on how you can help.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 10:58 AM

Dennis:

Would you please take your "Blaming Words to another Forum"!!

You are showing a terrible lack of decency and Sense;

It is "None of your Business where anyone wants to build their Home!!!

For Once in your your Life"Keep ypour Mouth Shut about People during their Tradgey''

"Not yours"

Skeet
 Pages:  1  ..  58    60    62  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.