Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  59    61    63  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Dennis- you may have a point in such cases as the indigenous population has other options for housing.

Not sure I follow that. You say the indigenous have houseing options? Who are the indigenous? What are their options?

You can rebuild your house on the train tracks for all I care. You, of all people, know of what I referred to.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:17 AM

And you, Skeet....go out in the garage and get drunk. You make more sense when you're bombed.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:18 AM

Corky..I'm glad you got your breath back. And, I know how easy it is for anger to replace grief when you lose something you love.

I am still occasionally seething about my losses a year ago to Julio in San Nicolas. This has NOTHING to do with 650 feet of fencing, or my little casita; I knew all along that they could be gone at ANY time and I was ready for that. At $1000 a year for land rent, after 14 years, I had more invested in rent than in all the physical improvements. What still makes me homicidal is the way my wrecked place got looted. When I was finally healthy enough to get down there, (I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma the month after Julio) my Mexican neighbors came to ask if they could buy any of the stuff that was left. What was missing and not washed away, they told me, had been stolen by low-life alcoholic gringos up the arroyo.

I have NEVER gone to Baja to hang out with gringos. It was my viscinos who mattered. I gave everything that was useful from my buildings to a local fisherman who had lost almost everything in the same storm.

My Baja home once again fits in the back of my pick up truck. That's how I started, and that's how it will end.

I don't suppose that anyone here has ever heard: "Don't invest anything in Mexico that you can't afford to lose." In my judgment that goes double if you build on the beach or in an arroyo.

It is all about our hosts, folks! I sure wish we could get some news about the wonderful people in San Nicolas'.

Hang in there everyone.

[Edited on 9-7-2009 by vgabndo]

Copy of IMG_0373.JPG - 7kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:45 AM

Dennis,

I thought you understood what all the pleas of help are about. I certainly have not seen any plea for help for gringos whose houses were damaged or destroyed along the river. Those house are indeed our optional choices to build, rebuild or walk away from. Those houses are our responsibility. Come on, Man...You know that!

Any aid that the good people here on the BajaNomad are soliciting will be earmarked only for the indigenous people whose housing is not an optional choice. These funds are beginning to emerge, and I completely trust them; Engineer Mike, The Baja Bush Pilots, Rick Barber and also the Mulege Rotary. Forgive me if I have omitted any. Once the funds and material goods are received, they will be distributed to the locals in an orderly manner.

Of course my community is Mulege and that is my area of concentration. Other funds for other areas are also emerging. Nomads, or anyone else may donate to their fund/area of their choice.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:50 AM

vandenberg, Regarding the process of rebuilding over and over after storms/floods in the US. Check out the building codes. After each event the codes are revised; elevations, number of studs, trusses, etc. Take a tape and measure the high water line from Jimena. The ground floor should be at least 3', higher. Will cost more up front, but in the long run it'll be well worth it. If you don't actually own the ground, the additional expense might not be worth it in the long term. And my heart goes out to all the storm victims in MULEGE in spite of what some Nomads may choose to believe.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-7-2009 at 11:59 AM

Thank You, Cypress. I accept that!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:22 PM

toneart, Wish you all the best. You and your fellow storm survivors are under more stress than most people have ever had to deal with. You'll recover and so will MULEGE.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:23 PM

For all of you
Non Loving Nomads}

BaJA IS NOT ABOUT MATERIAL THINGS/

It is about LOVE,ADVENTURE,CARING FOR THE PEOPLE,BEAUTIFULL SUNSETS, CLEAN CLEAR WATER, FISH,,

Yes, many of us were warned "Never invest more than you can afford to lose" but with all of the great things about Baja you overlook that.

I will say it again that Baja is not for those who Worship Material things.

Vagabondo said it right, you do not Measure Baja by the House you live in.Skeet
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
For all of you
Non Loving Nomads}

It is about LOVE,ADVENTURE,CARING FOR THE PEOPLE,BEAUTIFULL SUNSETS, CLEAN CLEAR WATER, FISH,,

Yes, many of us were warned "Never invest more than you can afford to lose" but with all of the great things about Baja you overlook that.

This is absolutely correct! :yes:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:43 PM

With the possible exception of Los Cabos:lol:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
For all of you
Non Loving Nomads}

AMÉN

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:07 PM

But it's nice to have someplace to hang your hat.:yes:
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:12 PM

"It is about LOVE,ADVENTURE,CARING FOR THE PEOPLE,BEAUTIFULL SUNSETS, CLEAN CLEAR WATER, FISH,..."

Skeet- you forgot the Fish Tacos!!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
But it's nice to have someplace to hang your hat.:yes:

In Skeet's case, with his aluminum foil chapeau......the little doctor advised him to never remove it. :lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:17 PM

DENNIS,:lol:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:19 PM

If you got reception that good, you'd never remove it either.:o
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:38 PM
Any Updates on Mulege Relief Donation Drop Off Spots for San Diego??

Just checking if anyone has info on where collected relief supplies (i.e. clothing and other needs) can be dropped off in the San Diego area. I have been e-mailing with the Baja Bush pilot contact and was wondering if anyone has updates on this area. For example, can items be dropped at any of the local SD airports that the pilots will leave from?? Or any people going down by car who are able to take donated items...thanks for any updates on this area!!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:44 PM

This just in: Major Disaster in San Juanico,
......the town is OUT OF BEER!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Governor will do a flyover to inspect the state of sobriety, and order emergency supplies airdropped in?

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
vandenberg, Regarding the process of rebuilding over and over after storms/floods in the US. Check out the building codes. After each event the codes are revised; elevations, number of studs, trusses, etc. Take a tape and measure the high water line from Jimena. The ground floor should be at least 3', higher. Will cost more up front, but in the long run it'll be well worth it. If you don't actually own the ground, the additional expense might not be worth it in the long term. And my heart goes out to all the storm victims in MULEGE in spite of what some Nomads may choose to believe.

Thanks for choosing good words Cypress or whatever your real name is. It would be nice to know your (real) name. I've always enjoyed your positive opinions about Mulege.

Keep it up, it helps!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
This just in: Major Disaster in San Juanico,
......the town is OUT OF BEER!!!!!!!!

Now...This is serious. If this isn't picked up by the US news, nothing ever will be.
 Pages:  1  ..  59    61    63  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.