Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  60    62    64  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lindsay
Just checking if anyone has info on where collected relief supplies (i.e. clothing and other needs) can be dropped off in the San Diego area. I have been e-mailing with the Baja Bush pilot contact and was wondering if anyone has updates on this area. For example, can items be dropped at any of the local SD airports that the pilots will leave from?? Or any people going down by car who are able to take donated items...thanks for any updates on this area!!

I will be at the border in the next day or two w/room for more donations. Let me know.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 01:55 PM

corky...any shots of your place?...anything left?...we got lucky and we still have a house..albeit full of mud and useless appliances and furniture.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:14 PM

Sharksbaja, My name is Bobby and I'm a fellow smoker, fish that is. Good luck with your storm recovery.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:26 PM

i'm a smoker too, bobby; just took 70# of chinook fillets out of the smoker...they'll be going south with us..yum!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:36 PM

mulegemichael, 70 lbs. of smoked chinook! That's some serious smoking. What kind of smoker do you have? They'll be rolling out the red carpet for you in MULEGE.
jerryjust
Junior Nomad

Mood: great

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 02:36 PM
Donations SD!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lindsay
Just checking if anyone has info on where collected relief supplies (i.e. clothing and other needs) can be dropped off in the San Diego area. I have been e-mailing with the Baja Bush pilot contact and was wondering if anyone has updates on this area. For example, can items be dropped at any of the local SD airports that the pilots will leave from?? Or any people going down by car who are able to take donated items...thanks for any updates on this area!!
I live in Rosarito on the Toll Road 15min.south of TJ and will be leaving to Mulege next week with stuff they need.My house was washed away so I need nothing,but have a p.u. would take some items down for any one if they can get them here. just U2U me,or call me.619-507-9338.

jerryjust

BE WHO YOU ARE:SAY WHAT YOU FEEL:THOSE THAT MIND DON\'T MATTER: AND THOSE THAT MATTER DON\'T MIND;;;;
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I was thinking that rebuilding along the Mulege river will never be allowed again.... only at higher elevations .... maybe a road, but no dwellings... comments?
Bob H

For the sake of discussion, why would the government prohibit rebuilding? That would decrease the incentive to clean-up and eliminate the jobs and inflow of cash that rebuilding would bring. It would also have long term negative economic effects in that fewer people with reliable income would be living there, supporting the local businesses.

In this particular case, if someone wants to take the risk, they should be allowed. High risk, yes, but the reward can be high. Rio Mulege, or whatever the river is named, is a unique place and I certainly understand why people want to live there.

They are not going to stop the gringos from building in the river bottom. It's no skin off their nose. Gringo's bring in money and when they are wiped out it doesn't cost the Mexican government one cent. The gringo's don't get the government handouts of food, clothing and plywood.

In fact, having gringos it is like a disaster insurance program for Mexico. After every disaster the gringos come in, throw their money around, and jump start the economy.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
BaJA IS NOT ABOUT MATERIAL THINGS/

It is about LOVE,ADVENTURE,CARING FOR THE PEOPLE,BEAUTIFULL SUNSETS, CLEAN CLEAR WATER, FISH

Clean, clear water and fish are material things.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
bob...i think you are right; the powers that be have already considered not allowing any more building in that area..i think after this one we will be losing many of our neighbors in the oasis as after julio many of them were gone...this might be the proverbial "straw"...too bad....i wonder if jungle jims is still there, our little watering hole?...i will sorely miss it if it's gone

I also wonder about Jungla Jims place... would hate to see it gone! What a wonderful watering hole and restaurant it is/was!???
Bob H
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:35 PM

jungla's is there; we just got word...bart will be back on line in no time...lemme buy you a cold one soon...we head down in three days

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I was thinking that rebuilding along the Mulege river will never be allowed again.... only at higher elevations .... maybe a road, but no dwellings... comments?
Bob H

Hi Bob!

Yes, there is talk of that, but nothing official yet. It probably make good sense, after this Hurricane.

But if this is not enacted, it should certainly be a personal decision for each individual. Some will. We should not judge their personal decisions; some have something left with which to rebuild; some have faith that it will never happen again; Some are so emotionally attached to the place that they can't let it go.

The reality of this last Hurricane is so new than many have not been able to assimilate it. Besides, there is the very immediate crises of life for the locals that we need to consider first, in my opinion. Events will shake out (and dry out) in time and in increments

Time puts things in proper perspective, and those perspectives are different for each individual involved.

I have met you and Audrey and I know your concern for the people of Mulege. Your heart is in the right place.

Tony, you know where I'm coming from... We absolutely love the place and the people there... hang in there... great post! Bob H
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 04:37 PM

Gee, did we just close this thread?:yes:
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 04:57 PM

This isn't meant to get away from Mulege but what is the situation in San Bruno???
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 04:59 PM

Here is the Treasurer's Report for donations for Mulege collected thru Mulege Student Scholarship Program to date, 9/7/09 17:00-

Cash:
1 donation of $100 via paypal (thanks to the generous Nomad who contributed)
That's it. That's all. I'm amazed.
If you hear that sound of silence around you, it is you not contributing. Please pony up folks, this is going to take more than used clothing to get things kicked into shape in Mulege.

Goods:
8 large boxes of clothing plus the 15% to cover duty at the border. Thanks to a daughter of Mulege full time residents from Grass Valley, CA.

Once again- PayPal at mike@fleming.cc and I'll kick in the 3% paypal fee so 100 cents on the dollar goes to Mulege. Hurt me please!!!

Or mail a check to MSSP, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603.
Everyone will receive a receipt via email or snail mail as you initiate w/the non-profit info, and a copy of our most recent report to sponsors.
Time is a waisting, tempus fugit!!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:06 PM

I collected 22 bags of clothes at this weekend's yard sales here in the mountains. I am told we can forward them to www.bajabushpilots.com and arrange to meet someone. But who has the paypal account so we can send dineros?

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Here is the Treasurer's Report for donations for Mulege collected thru Mulege Student Scholarship Program to date, 9/7/09 17:00-

Cash:
1 donation of $100 via paypal (thanks to the generous Nomad who contributed)
That's it. That's all. I'm amazed.
If you hear that sound of silence around you, it is you not contributing. Please pony up folks, this is going to take more than used clothing to get things kicked into shape in Mulege.

Goods:
8 large boxes of clothing plus the 15% to cover duty at the border. Thanks to a daughter of Mulege full time residents from Grass Valley, CA.

Once again- PayPal at mike@fleming.cc and I'll kick in the 3% paypal fee so 100 cents on the dollar goes to Mulege. Hurt me please!!!

Or mail a check to MSSP, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603.
Everyone will receive a receipt via email or snail mail as you initiate w/the non-profit info, and a copy of our most recent report to sponsors.
Time is a waisting, tempus fugit!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:30 PM

Make that $150 total, Thanks to a Loreto Nomad!!!

I call that a good start. Mulege needs lots more. Mike

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin
This isn't meant to get away from Mulege but what is the situation in San Bruno???

Whew, I started to think that this was a Jimena hits Mulege thread. Santa Rosalia is a real mess with around 40% of the structures either down or not functional. San Ignacio had some serious damage and reports have been very slow in coming out of there. San Lucas was hit very hard with a lot of roofs knocked off and walls in serious damage. One guy there died because they could not get supplemental oxygen to him when the bridge went out. I am having trouble getting reports from San Jose De Magdelena and have heard that the road is still unpassable, Punta Chivato road was reported open but mostly 4x4. Santa Agueda had some serious damage and again the road is impassable (the same road that washed out the Santa Rosalia Bridge goes right through Santa Agueda. School was out so the boarding school may not have had a full complement of students.
San Bruno had a lot of damage with roofs blown off and walls collapsing. The temporary shelter has been completely filled with people who have nowhere else to go. I am sure the marina is filled up with rocks and gravel again and there is no electricity or water. Reports and phone calls are very slow in coming in from the ranchos in the mountains but almost all of them live very close to the water so that they can have water for themselves and livestock but in the case of a flood like this one most of their things get washed away. The roads in the backcountry have been impassible after the last two hurricanes and I suspect that this one is even worse so if they are coming to get supplies they will probably have to do so on horseback.
All of the little villages from San Carlos like La Purisima, San Isidro, San Migues de Comondu, San Jose de Comondu, and even Saint Martha, got really nailed with this storm but not much information is forthcoming yet.
The tourist population is mostly aware of the campgrounds, towns like Loreto and Mulege, but there is a whole other world 5 miles or more off of the beaten path where people are tough and resilient but I am sure that they could use some help to recover also.
During Hurricane John, the COMSA company at San Marcos Island became a major contributor to the people at San Bruno, Santa Rosalia, and Mulege but so far communication has been very slow in coming from the island. Most of the people who live on the island are in a major wash and with the water amounts elsewhere I am sure they have had some major problems there also. When the phone relays were down due to electrical problems, phone communication went down and the sea has been too rough to cross to the island so they have been pretty well cut off from civilization also.

[Edited on 9-8-2009 by Pescador]

Destiny

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:46 PM

Hey everyone, since we can't make it down until fire season is over, we have talked to one of the local pubs and are going to be holding a friends of Mulege donation night. Thought that perhaps others could organize similar functions. They need all the help they can get At least, from the looks of things, the spirit of Mulege still exists, after all, that is what we all have come to love.

(initially posted in Mulege Today topic by accident, thought I should repost;))
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:49 PM

Let's not forget about the destruction that occurred on the West coast around Mag Bay. The good news is that the relief efforts from La Paz are able to get there. As was previously stated in another thread, perhaps we can later show support by concentrating whale watching trips to Mag Bay to stimulate the local economy.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 06:14 PM
EngineerMike - Do not despair

The Rotary club has received commitments (Pledges) for well over $9000 usd plus another $5k in a pending matching grant. And this is just from our members. We have two members , Curtis Pearson and Linda Mitchell who operate a Lake concession (cruise boat) in Northern Idaho who are donating the proceeds for an entire days business!

I will have the banking information we need by tomorrow to get the money flowing into the club's Bancomer account. Failing tha,t we will use your Scholarship account to collect the donations.

I'm feeling pretty confident that we will be in good shape financially to really make a difference in the coming weeks.
 Pages:  1  ..  60    62    64  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.