Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  62    64    66  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:05 AM

I really don't know if there are other memory cards for the cameras or if maybe he only used the other one after the 09/05 photo was taken of that memorial on the side of the highway. The cameras will tell a big story when reviewed. Gary was not computer savvy according to the family and no, no laptop was taken.

As far as I'm concerned Latina the rancher did what he thought was best. His ranch is occupied by one worker when he is gone. It's not a
"Bonanza" type ranch and I believe there are other employees that work for the ranchers and who knows their propensity of breaking into a stranded vehicle? If I was able to get help after leaving my stranded vehicle at a remote location for a few days and then find it gone I would for sure contact the police and employ the help of others to take me to people that live nearby but we have no knowledge that anyone saw him and I'm assuming the police would have released it to him if he came to their station and we would have been informed about that.

It is what it is. The rancher did a great job by not only informing the police but the family as well.He didn't have to do anything and we would be back at square one.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:06 AM

About 10 pages or so ago someone had mentioned about the peculiarity of Gary having a rake in his car.

Is it possible that by rake they meant one of those fork like rakes that people use to dig up pismo clams?

If not, then do surf anglers ever use rakes to get sand crabs for bait?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
About 10 pages or so ago someone had mentioned about the peculiarity of Gary having a rake in his car.

Is it possible that by rake they meant one of those fork like rakes that people use to dig up pismo clams?

If not, then do surf anglers ever use rakes to get sand crabs for bait?

I've used a rake to prep and clean a camp area.
Speaking of which........where is Gary's camping gear?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:16 AM

LL,

Do you know if the family only looked at the images of one camera not both?

Thanks, again, for your involvement in this!

Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I really don't know if there are other memory cards for the cameras or if maybe he only used the other one after the 09/05 photo was taken of that memorial on the side of the highway. The cameras will tell a big story when reviewed. Gary was not computer savvy according to the family and no, no laptop was taken.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:46 AM

In regards to the rake, I almost always toss in a stiff tined "landscape" rake in the back of the truck for setting up camp. There is nothing unusual about one being there. Yes they can be awkward to pack and fit in, but so are lots of other things we bring. Once you have brought one, you will miss it if you forget it.

They are invaluable for cleaning up things around camp especially smoothing out the areas for tents, cots, sleeping bags on the ground, the location of a shade structure and what-not. They can also help to remove twigs, fallen cholla, gopher mounds, cow and horse droppings in the areas where you don’t want to really step on or around those things.

My guess on why the rancher towed the vehicle is that it was likely very dusty, especially on the windshield. There is a big difference in a vehicle that has been sitting out in the desert for months or just weeks, compared to a vehicle has been there for a few days with someone out on a hike or backpack adventure.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

My guess on why the rancher towed the vehicle is that it was likely very dusty, especially on the windshield.

If we have to guess [which we do] why the rancher took the vehicle, we have to consider all angles. He saw an opportunity to pick up a free car and jumped on it.
All of the other altruistic crap makes very little sense, so it's probably a bit premature to be calling him "the guardian angel of Baja."

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by DENNIS]

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:08 PM

Regarding the rake and the shovel- The question should be are they Garys? The family was aware of how he carried the surfboard and some other details- do they have any recollection of whether Gary carried one or both. (I recently returned from spending a couple of months in mainland Mexico. I knew when I left the US that I wanted to take a shovel but due to space restrictions decided to leave it at home. There is no way I would have considered taking a rake which is even harder to pack.) Both the shovel and rake might be Gary's but I don't think we should assume that they are.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:11 PM

LL, im still perplexed as to how the rancher was able to get into gary's car. do you think possibly he just misspoke and the car was simply closed up and not locked?
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:19 PM

Don't know about the camping gear Dennis. Gary did take a tent and a sleeping bag but we won't know for a few weeks about the items in the car. The rancher did not say these items were in the car.(Im sorry-The rancher did not tell me the sleeping bag and tent were in the vehicle. He told me what he remembered was in the car)

I only know about the one image. The camera and the photos, or lack of em, will tell us a lot Ken.

The rancher said the vehicle was locked however he was able to get inside somehow. I didn't ask how he did it.

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by lizard lips]

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

My guess on why the rancher towed the vehicle is that it was likely very dusty, especially on the windshield.

If we have to guess [which we do] why the rancher took the vehicle, we have to consider all angles. He saw an opportunity to pick up a free car and jumped on it.
All of the other altruistic crap makes very little sense, so it's probably a bit premature to be calling him "the guardian angel of Baja."

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by DENNIS]

My experiences with the back country ranchers in Baja Sur is that they are honest, good and hospitable people. I think Lizard Lips is giving an accurate opinion about the rancher's actions and motives.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips

The rancher said the vehicle was locked however he was able to get inside somehow. I didn't ask how he did it.

I worked with a bunch of teamsters who could make a SlimJim out of a piece of steel crate banding in less than a minute...which was longer than it took them to open a car door. :light:

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:30 PM

KurtG-agreed
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Both the shovel and rake might be Gary's but I don't think we should assume that they are.

Just curious, but why would it matter?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

My experiences with the back country ranchers in Baja Sur is that they are honest, good and hospitable people. I think Lizard Lips is giving an accurate opinion about the rancher's actions and motives.

I feel that it's an abrupt appraisal...yours and LL's.....after a short conversation.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:37 PM

If someone else had a shovel and rake, instead of Gary, one would assume they were digging and covering over what they were digging.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Both the shovel and rake might be Gary's but I don't think we should assume that they are.

Just curious, but why would it matter?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
If someone else had a shovel and rake, instead of Gary, one would assume they were digging and covering over what they were digging

Excuse me????? Are you implying that Gary's car may have been his headstone?
Pleeeze....stop it. :lol:

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:50 PM

I know exactly what your saying Dennis but when I talk with people regarding an assignment and this person is directly related to the issue I am always reminded of what motive that person would have for telling me what is being said. In the case of the this guy I applaud what he did and I would have done the same thing being in this position.

The rancher owns a business in Maneadero and that is where I met with him. His livelihood is not only from ranching. His father also has owned a ranch right next to his for many years.I don't think his father is still alive though because this guy has to be pushing 80. He has lived just south of Ensenada most of his life. He's a good guy Dennis and his demeanor is calm and cool. The ranchers son and daughter were also there when I met him and they as well were very nice and willing to help in anyway they could and they told me that.

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:55 PM

Janene----As I mentioned the shovel and rake were there and it appeared to the rancher that someone was attempting to free the back tires. Your assumptions are getting a little to much to handle right now.

I just emailed the family to see if the shovel and rake were items that he took with him.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:57 PM

Yes he did take a shovel and a rake…...
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 12:59 PM

Re the cooler:

In one post it says that the cooler was full of rotten food and in another it says that there were a couple of beer and orange juice. Which was it?

If it was full, he was probably headed to the beach. If it was empty he was probably headed to Catavina...
 Pages:  1  ..  62    64    66  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.