[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:33 PM

Vgabndo----Good post! You have a great style! Good on Ya!! ++C++
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 08:43 AM

good work Siri.
thx for the call yesterday.

BBP is posting relevant info on the public section of the website. anyone can read them, scroll down on the main page.

there's not a lot of extraneous info on the discussion forums of interest unless you're flying. But if you want to follow along, your $50 membership will go to the general fund and as you can see they do a lot of altruistic work, so you can consider it a donation of sorts.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Siri

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 08:47 AM
New Thread for BBP Info

I just posted the latest update from Jack McCormick of Baja Bush Pilots, but I accidentally created a new thread called "Baja Bush Pilots-Hurricane Jimena Airlift Project". Since I have no clue how to un-do a thread, for questions or information specific to the airlift, please check and post there (the lists of drop-off sites for donations and other specific information is coming this afternoon). Sorry for any confusion, I'm new to Nomads and just learning how the posts and threads are organized.
dougf69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 08:59 AM

FOXYROSE!!!!
Check your U2U.
I talked to Dustin a couple of days ago.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 09:14 AM

now that things are getting organized, relief is arriving, cleaning efforts are in full swing....I would like to welcome all the newcomers to Nomad. I hope to see you all posting here more often...remember...the quality of this forum depends on the quality of amigos posting...or as we like to say...playing in the sand box.

Also, a huge gracias to each and every one of you who is doing what they can to help in your own way...we CAN make this world a better place...one person...one day at a time...every little bit helps.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 09:31 AM

shari....we're pulling outta here and headed down with a full load as soon as fedex brings us our visas..we are champing at the bit...got a truck load full of food, equipment, clothes, etc...hope to see you soon.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 10:06 AM

LORETO - PUERTO ESDONDIDO - TRIPUI:

All services are available - power - water - fuel - land-line & cell phone service. Grocery stores are open but very limited on fresh produce - they do have milk though. LTO airport is open. Hotels & restaurants are open. Town is cleaned up and getting back to "normal".

Just a comment on donations for those in need. A little goes a long way.

In 2004 when we had our devastating fire in Tripui, those of us who stayed in the days and weeks following the fire, were recipients of bags of clothes donated by the folks in Loreto and the Hidden Port Yacht Club in Puerto Escondido. I got out with our truck, boat, dog and the clothes on my back - that was it!!! No wallet, no ID, no money. It was a very, very humbling experience. Their small gesture of donated clothing was appreciated beyond words. I still get emotional just thinking about it.

That 500 lbs of food may seem like just be a drop in the bucket but it will be appreciated beyond measure!!!

PS: For those of you who may not remember, TRIPUI burned to the ground June 26, 2004, 80+palapas, 40 or so boats, 40 or so vehicles. Only the office, restaurant and pool areas were spared. Five years later and you would know it ever happened. In some ways it is not as quoint without the palm frawn palapas but it is still paradise. Most all the spaces are subscribed to and 70% of those have either palapas (non-flamable roofing), ramadas or full on houses.

The phoenix does rise from the ashes!!!!

Chris
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 01:15 PM

I haven't been keeping up with this thread But I had several people tell me they read that the Santa Rosalia hospital was flooded and basically no service. Here is a report from some one there.

Just an observation, I am reading that according to Tirso Baltazar the General Hospital of Santa Rosalia got flooded, this is not true, I live in Santa Rosalia and I know it did not happen, I also checked with the General Director of the Hospital Dr. Edeberto Romo and with the local deputy Lic. Guillermo Santillan and they both confirmed that the hospital in Santa Rosalia did not suffer any damage.. Maybe there is a confusion here, the general Holpital of Mulege town did get hurt badly and does need a lot of help...

[Edited on 9-9-2009 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 02:19 PM

Santa Rosalia is in the "Municipio of Mulege", like a county. That's probably the source of the confusion.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Siri

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 10:20 AM

Below is the latest info re: BBP Airlift. Please check the separate thread "Baja Bush Pilots--Hurricane Jimena Relief" for the latest updates. Thanks to all!

Donation Details for Baja Bush Pilots Airlift

For those interested in donating items to the BBP Airlift, here are 2 lists. The first is the items which they need the most (and which are "aircraft friendly" and don't duplicate items already in aid boxes) and the 2nd is drop-off locations:

WHAT WE NEED
Feminine hygene products
Diapers-children and seniors
Undergarments, men, women and children (new)
Wipes for bathing and babies
Mats/small mattresses to sleep on
Blankets, soap, shampoo
Disinfectants-all kinds
Mosquito/Roach spray
Shirts/sweaters
Pants
Shorts
Bedding (sheets, pillows, pillow cases)
socks (new and used)
Towels-all sizes
Basic Toys (balls deflated for easy trasport, dolls, coloring books, crayons)
Shoes, all sizes

DROP-OFF LOCATIONS

California:
Burbank
El Cajon
Imperial
Los Gatos
Long Beach
Santa Monica
East Bay
San Diego
Thermal
Pacoima (near Van Nuys)

Arizona:
Chandler
Sierra Vista

Colorado:
Durango

New Mexico:
Albuquerque

Washington:
Kent

Most locations are near/at small airports, many are hangars or storage facilities. Full information (including a contact name and tel #) for each location is on the BBP website in the public section. Here's how to find it:Go to www.bajabushpilots.com. In the center of the page, scroll down past the "Quick Alerts" section and go down to "Baja Airlift Update" and "click here for more information". Please ignore the 2nd chart (these are places where they have large donations and need a pilot to pick-up, but do not want/need more donations). It would help a lot if folks living nearby could consolidate their donations and make one trip to the drop-off location. Please contact donation locations directly, not BBP, if you have questions...and understand that while they are accpeting donations, most are also busy companies.

If you want to make a financial donation to the airlift, there are 2 options.

Funds will be used for fuel expenes and given directly to Cruz Roja in Baja, and $ donors will receive an acknowledgement letter for tax purposes.

Check: Payable to "Baja Bush Pilots" with memo "Hurricane Jimena", mail to Baja Bush Pilots, 149 W. Boston, Chandler AZ 85225. If send a large check, please email me (findsiri@yahoo.com)--I'll tally amounts and keep them posted so BBP can budget while waiting on snail mail!

Credit Card: BBP is not set-up for donations online, but can take credit card donations by telephone. Please call 714-453-9997. We'll need your name, cc# and expiration, and mailing addy (for ack. letter).

More info to come as it's available. Thanks to all asking to help!
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2009 at 12:33 PM

Here's the direct link to the BPP drop off site list mentioned in Siri's post above:

http://www.bajabushpilots.com/pdf/Baja_Airlift%202%20%5B1%5D...

It will open a PDF file. Scroll down to page two to find the beginning of the list.

Also find updated info about other donation recipients at:

http://www.lasecomujeres.org/Jimena_links.html

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 07:46 AM

Thank you ecomujeres organizing all the fotos in one place for viewing...

For us stuck in the states and can't get down there right away it's one way to reassure us that our houses are still standing or not... and what we need to do and what to bring to repair them...

Thank You Very Much

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:18 AM

FYI and in follow-up to the American Red Cross issue ("As to the Delegado asking the Red Cross, I'll make you a deal- you contact SanDiego Red Cross and find out exactly what "Mexico needs to request their help" means. Sounds to me like they need Cruz Roja to ask Red Cross, but they likely have some specific protocol"):

I received a call back from from the director of disaster services in the San Diego Am. Red Cross office. He told me that the Mexican Red Cross HQ would need to contact the American Red Cross HQ in Wash. DC to request help. He says there's a standing Memorandum of Understanding, and he says the Mex. Red Cross is a very strong organization.
From this, I would have to assume that the Mex. Red Cross knows what to do if they want to ask for Am. Red Cross assistance.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 11:19 AM

Hi Siri, reading this kinda confused me. Did you say the cash will be given to Cruz Roja specifically for gas, thanks.
Quote:

Funds will be used for fuel expenes and given directly to Cruz Roja in Baja, and $ donors will receive an acknowledgement letter for tax purposes.

[Edited on 9-11-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Siri

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 01:07 PM
Where BBP $ Donations Go

Sorry that sounded confusing!

BBP's plans (depending, of course, on the amount of $ donated) is to split the $ (by a yet-to-be-determined percentage) into 2 areas:

1. reimbursing a portion of the BBP pilots' fuel expenses;
2. given directly to Cruz Roja in Baja to purchase additional items, as determined by their assessment (in tandem with local govt, BBP, etc).

It is not a collection to cover their fuel, and if there's extra that goes to Cruz Roja. They have decided, because CR is so $-strapped, to donate to them regardless of whether their fuel expenses are covered. Does that make sense?

A few days ago, Jack thought the Mexican govt was going to cover all their fuel expenses, but now it is only for "rescue" missions (where they are evacuating specific stranded people), not for any delivery of donations from the US or the Cruz Roja aid boxes from Wal-Mart Mex.

The fuel expenses for this kind of mission are very high. As I recall from H. John, only a portion of the fuel expenses were recovered through donations (and that included a $5000 charity from a Foundation which lacks funding now) in the end. Nonetheless, in all the posts on the BBP website--of all the pilots coordinating the pick-up sites and ready to fly wherever and whenever BBP and Cruz Roja need--not a one has asked about donations or their fuel expenses. If these guys sat around and waited until the $ was raised to pay for their mission, it would be far too late. I admire them for stepping up to the job that has to be done and hope we can help them recoup some of their expenses. So far, we have 1 credit card donation...so I'm praying there are checks in the mail that we don't know about.

Thanks for asking, and I hope this helps!
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 02:10 PM
1st Donation :-)

Thursday Morning, 9-10

(I posted this on the BBP thread also, but many fellow Nomads have been discussing how to help on this thread, so . . . )

I just called and spoke with Siri, who is processing credit card donations for BBP. Very friendly, quick, and easy process.

Siri said I was the first donation she'd accepted for BBP.

I love the work these folks do, and I encourage any of my Nomad Amigos who are able and willing, to give Siri a call at 714-453-9997 and make a donation.

Best,
djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 03:14 PM

there was little in the way of reimbursement to BBP relief pilots during H. John. All went in knowing full well the avgas expense would be theirs up front and no guarantee of any contribution save what each pilot might be able to conjur up separately thru solicitations for donations.

Most likely some advantaged themselves a bit with a charity write -off on their fed taxes - but unless you're in a high bracket it's a small % of the outlay - they are doing it because they are financially able and want to help.
what a great group - many here may not know it but the BBP flew SEVERAL groups of sorties over a few weeks to LA. for Katrina relief - man that's a long haul from PHX and CA but they did it sans fuel reimbursements. i personally know some of the guys who flew their planes to New Orleans as soon as you could land anywhere close. they spent thousands of their own $$s, a few had their companies (self owned and otherwise) contribute to cover some.

Gas is only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost per hour to ply the skies depending on how you want to account for it... the neat thing about helping by air is the speed at which you can respond, be there in a few hours with at least SOME provisions vs. driving a day or more from the border even tho yes you can haul, more in a truck or semi.

we lost 2 very fine people who had an unfortunate accident in their plane while flying with BBP relief during John, they were my neighbors for a while and are missed by all who knew them in Mulege. I hope all the volunteers, ground or air, stay safe.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Siri

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 09:28 AM
1-Hr Radio Program re: Jimena Relief--TODAY (SUNDAY) 1PM PACIFIC

Alex Plewniak (of NORRA-National Off Road Racing Association) is dedicating a 1-hour So Cal radio slot (it is normally an off road racing program) today to talking about Hurricane Jimena relief efforts--including those of the off-road racing community and the Baja Bush Pilots.

TODAY (SUNDAY 13TH) 1-2PM PACIFIC TIME
KCBQ--1170AM
http://kcbq.townhall.com

Tune in or log on for the live webstream...

Thanks to Alex, NORRA and the off-road racers!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:46 PM
Report from Mulege

Just back from Mulege, Monday, 14th @ 5:00p.m.; here is what I found.

Executive Summary
1) Best civil prep for a disaster I have ever witnessed in MX, both civilian & govt. Fabulous response from electric co, telco, and road crews. Military not as much in town as after John & Julio.
2) Worst disaster in memory of Mulege depite prep due to amount of rain coupled w/high wind. Damages reported here on Nomad adequately describe the reality & extent so I won't repeat, tho the reality will give you a physical reaction photos and description cannot.
3) Donations of Stuff- If you have collected clothing or it is on its way, finish that & handle transmittal to affected areas, as need should be met w/what's in the stream (remember I said get what's in process to Mulege or SR, your choice). Mulege will be send off port for rancheros after town needs are met; drop @ Sta.Rosalia for that area. Otherwise switch to collecting bed linens & towels which are needed. Mulege & probably SR can use all the tarps we can send; keep sending them every trip down. Huge need will be mattresses; see below for transport idea. In-kind food in "care-pack" packing can be left w/Saul Davis; more below. Also Saul can take a dollar or peso donation and will assemble food packets.
4) Micro-Lending: Tienda owners of your choice need working capital; if they have a credit book you can make a deposit on your account and take it out over time in trade.
5) Biggest need will be overcoming long term economic drain from lost tourism, i.e. norte-americanos who will quit Mulege.
6) Mulege hotels full for forseeable future; call for latest on cancellations.
7) For donation trips- leave border early to make Guerrero Negro same eve, next day in SR &/or Mulege to drop donations & have lunch/shop/see-sights, then down to Loreto or back to GN depending on your agenda; this makes for good sleeping conditions (its what I did except one night in M.).
8) Malarrimo's has 10% discount on rooms for Muleginos or donation runs, 5% in restaurant (Enrique has place in Mulege also got wrecked).
9) The Desert Show is in full bloom.
10) Aduana (Customs & Border Crossing)- long story, see below, last paragraph.

The Details:
Take some donations down as soon as you can, and see the Desert Show. It starts 1 hour south of Guerrero Negro, and its a lollapalooza!! Flowers out already, and the green is just hitting its stride. If you enjoy this aspect of the Penninsula, now is your opportunity.

If you are travelling in an RV w/a bed, throw in an extra mattress, and drop it off in Mulege or SR on the way. You will sleep a wee bit high for the first part of the trip, but walk tall the whole time. email me for current info on where to drop the mattress- mike@fleming.cc

Governor was in Mulege Saturday p.m. for town meeting; basically explained what relief is officially in process. But no word on substantial program for relief, mostly clean up and service restoration. No word or action on new matresses or stoves like last flood(s). Power still out to Loma Azul (and maybe Serenidad), water still out to L.Azul & all of south side of river when i left yesterday late. Power will be on all over w/in few days, water to south side & L.Azul will take coupla weeks. Folks starting to work gas power washing by use of portable tanks. New meters in place on south side to end of Oasis when I left. Cell phones out sometimes due to work in telco office (trunk lines feed cell calls into land service).

Mud is mostly sand in some areas where flow rate was high, mostly soft-squishy-biologically-active type in areas where flow was slowed (like inside houses); mold & mosquitos so take repellent & be prepared for the smell.

Delegado reports proposal to redline the arroyo "flood" area against future building, and to move the locals out of the zone w/some housing assistance. Note "proposal." This goes to Claderon for action w/in 15-20 days; no way to predict outcome. Might affect tourist zone, might not, might not affect anything.

Some gringos proposing condemnation of tourist home areas (Orchard, Oasis, etc. areas along river) for purchase by govt @ "Fair Market Value" and govt leaning on insurance co.'s to pay up (they have not all paid per their contracts in past), and then arranging purchase of comparable land acceptable to gringos in the vicinity where new tourist zone would go. This to be paid by MX govt and maybe (w/involvement of Obama & US ambassador) US govt. Just reporting what's up folks, don't slay the messenger, & I'm not in on this.

Lots of talk w/in the limited ex-pat community on hand of quitting Mulege & MX. Age plays a definite part in this talk, as many maintain an assumption that eventually they will need to permanently return to the US or Canada, and this is as good a time as any. Not many gringos in town.

Gringos showing up at their homes soon will be mobbed by folks looking for work. Its the end of a long, (economically) dry summer. Don't know how long the labor surplus will go on. Cliff Taylor currently has a payroll of 19; I believe that's 8 more than usual these days.

Saul's, Casa Yee, and ALBA's are all closed in Mulege for cleaning. Food inventory below the flood line is condemned by the health dept. Store owners operate on "working capital" that includes inventory. If your favorite tienda owner (any kind of tienda or reataurant) is in dires straights, and keeps a credit book of those who took goods and promised to pay, you can make a quick and very effective Micro-Credit "loan" by giving the owner some funds to show on deposit on your account. then you can sign for goods at a later date, thereby getting repaid for the advance. This hits the tienda owner right in the sweet spot- he can restock, maybe turn the inventory over a few times and make a buck or two, and then you get your money back in a nearly painless fashion. Limited only by how much you feel confident in leaving on advance. Lets keep our favorite businesses moving.

Roads are all passable. Trucks & busses are rolling. Squashed steel cubes still leaving Baja on flatbeds; otherwise truck traffic is CFE, TelMex, earthmoving equip, and box trucks to/from La Paz & Cabo. Almost zero tourists on the road.

Customs & Border issues for donations:
Proper donation paperwork to avoid paying ~15% duty consists of paperwork for both ends- @ the border & @ the recipient agency of the donation (not the italics).
You are entitled to bring any (legal) gifts to your friends in Mexico, but must pay duty on that merchandise. Donations are things that go to a donation "conduit" agency, like the State, Municipio, Pueblo, etc. And they have to acknowledge the donation. Without both ends, you are transporting goods, and have to pay duty for amounts above the personal exemption ($75 per person travelling in your car).

Mulege Rotary and the Mulege Bomberos were working yesterday on letters to be posted on the internet & printed by donors to show at the border. The author, an attorney, was on our Scholarship Program and now clerks for the Mexico Supreme Court in Mex.City, and he has some expertise in "Commercio Exterior." This is coupled w/the Delegado's contact (hopefully today) with the Governor's Office of International Relations which produces donation acceptance receipts for the Governor. The Gov's OIR is to interface w/Aduana and attempt to get an official exemption for donation goods crossing the border bound for Municipio of Mulege (basically anywhere in the County). I heard 3 reports of folks crossing at TJ (2 @ San Ysidro, one @ Otay) w/out paying duty on the donations. There may be an unofficial policy in play now. Carlos Milon put up an internet page on Jimena and will post the letters (they will be in Spanish, and in *.JPG and/or *.PDF format so anybody can print them). Stay tuned here on Nomad for more on the above. I'll follow up w/Bomberos & Rotary and inform the readership.

OK, I've been at the computer for more than one dance, and nothing but water to drink. Time for a frosty one.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 06:49 PM

Great. Glad to hear it, Mike. How's Sta. Rosalia doing? Have you heard?
 Pages:  1  ..  63    65    67  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.