Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  63    65    67  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:01 PM

Two beers and a bottle of orange juice and melted water at the bottom which was not cool to the touch. I remember seeing the rotten food post also but this is actually what was there.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:06 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:08 PM

I have total confidence in the rancher. I know how Mexicans feel about their ranch and their land, it is sacrosanct. They know every inch, and anything that falls on their property they treat with kid gloves and respect. When he found a car on his property he wanted to treat it with the utmost care and bring it closer to his home to watch over it. I know the mentality of the Mexican landowner. I have no doubts but you would have to live with them to really know them. If you've never experienced it, you can never understand that their land is their honor.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

He saw an opportunity to pick up a free car and jumped on it.

I believe that is inconsistent with the fact he immediately notified the police of his discovery, no?

:?:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:31 PM

I don't think it's a laughing matter and I am sorry that you feel my contributions to this thread are comical. You knew exactly what I was talking about. I will continue to contribute if I feel that maybe I can be of some help. And I urge everyone as Lizard says, to contribute no matter how insignificant things might sound. I have seen some excellent ideas here and I agree keep them coming.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
If someone else had a shovel and rake, instead of Gary, one would assume they were digging and covering over what they were digging

Excuse me????? Are you implying that Gary's car may have been his headstone?
Pleeeze....stop it. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
If you've never experienced it, you can never understand that their land is their honor.

As is their freedom, as well as their hard earned money. It would be a tough sell trying to convince me that these people didn't consider their risk of becoming involved with the law before they became so outpouring with info.
Understanding their human virtues can only be accomplished after one understands the Mexican's distrust [fear?] of the police. A Mexican will rarely tell an outsider anything, let alone everything. To think otherwise is naïve.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's a laughing matter and I am sorry that you feel my contributions to this thread are comical.

Well...not all of them, but that one got a laugh out of me. :lol:

oooops........there I go again. :lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

He saw an opportunity to pick up a free car and jumped on it.

I believe that is inconsistent with the fact he immediately notified the police of his discovery, no?

:?:

"Immediately?" How long had he known the car was there?
I think it's possible that we're only getting bits and pieces of a chain of events.
I'm not by any means implying the rancher is complicit in Gary's disappearance, but I am implying the rancher is only saying that which is safe to say and attendant inferences only serve to muddle the facts. They answer questions before they're even asked.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

My guess on why the rancher towed the vehicle is that it was likely very dusty, especially on the windshield.

If we have to guess [which we do] why the rancher took the vehicle, we have to consider all angles. He saw an opportunity to pick up a free car and jumped on it.
All of the other altruistic crap makes very little sense, so it's probably a bit premature to be calling him "the guardian angel of Baja."

Yeah, especially when we are dealing with Mexicans. In one of Dennis' other post he talks how the local Mexicans wouldn't likely talk to get involved talking to the police or searching. It's very subtle but there is usually very negative traits or behaviors attributed to Mexicans by Dennis in this thread and others, and of course we still have the Dennis statement saying, the Mexican man was just being Mexican in the Udo thread, and that wasn't subtle at all!

At the very least Dennis comes off as an extreme negative naysayer in the thread and looks for the worse in people.

From what we read about the rancher he seems like a wonderful person, but I guess you could never be too careful or trusting, because as far as we know Gary ran into some type of " Texas Chain Saw Massacre" operation in Baja, and the rancher is in on it!

Speaking out outrageous scenarios there seems to be a lot of these lately, and I know it's lot of fun playing these guessing games, but keep in mind the family is reading this tread too.

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by JoeJustJoe]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe
At the very least Dennis comes off as an extreme negative naysayer in the thread an looks for the worse in people.

Screw you, Joe. I'll just stay away from here and leave it to you and your misinterpretation of Mexican culture, as well as life itself, to show everybody the way. I don't need any of this.

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 02:40 PM

This just in from the family:

- It is common for him to leave windows cracked, even when locking the car. He gets more concerned about too much heat inside than he worries about vandals. And, we showed him before he left how to push the seat forward to lock the board inside the car, so the fact that he did not do that says to me he planned to come back to the car, at some point. OR he was too hot & tired to bother, and was rushed to leave with someone waiting on him.
- His sister gave him a set of maps.
- His camera does not have the GPS feature (nomads can verify that by checking prior posts.
- Baja Bush pilots told us early on they cannot do SAR over land in Baja due to the terrain which has altitude restrictions.
- The matching tire that went flat was in the trunk when our guys saw the car in Catavina; they put the spare on it to tow it presumably from the ranch (rancher stated he was able to tow it from spot, so flat occurred on way to police)

I am trying to get confirmation on a couple more things:
- The direction the car was facing (great question from the nomads)
- The # of coolers (should've been 2)
- The heavy, red metal tool box (I'm hoping our rancher took this, which is fine by me)
- Pillow, blanket, tent in the car? (less important because leaving these says he was clearly not intending to camp (sleep) anywhere outside the vehicle, but could suggest he left with someone who told him they had a ranch); also though he would be limited in carrying a tent etc if intending to walk back to the road, true as well.

In my mind, Gary left with vital things, water, some clothes, fresh food (leaving on heavy cans), perhaps the maps. He still could have a spare key, we're not positive because he usually takes two when he leaves town, but he may also know how to break into his car too.

I'm just praying the El Mexicana Newspaper may flush him out.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 02:57 PM

Comon Dennis. Don't get bent. If someone that didn't know you saw what you post they may think this guy has no heart and just wants to stir the pot.

I know better and I want your posts. it keeps me on my toes and make me look at things differently. The smiley face was a little unorthodox but then again a lot of this you do are. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 03:02 PM
Searching for Gary's remains

Assuming he met his end in the area where vehicle was located.

The most likely scenario is that he would walk to the 2km to the Canoa road each morning and wait for a vehicle to come by until nightfall. Then he would walk back to his car and rehydrate himself and regain his strength.

If it were me that's what I would do until things got desparate. Since there was still food and water in the vehicle and since this is such a short walk it's unlikely that that's how it ended.

More likely, he did this for several days until his provisions got low. After that the logical thing to do is to hike the 12km to the fork of the Canoa and the San Jose road, a much riskier venture. Here the odds are greater of being picked up. Another 5 miles towards Catavina brings him to the ranch and certain salvation. This assuming that he knew that the ranch was there.

So, in opinion, rather than look for Gary in a wide circle around vehicle it would be best to search these corridors of traffic, perhaps 100 yds to either side. Particularly the Canoa road between the 2km turnoff and the intersection and eastward toward the ranch.

However, if Gary did drive to this spot from Canoa as Mexitron suggests he would probably not know that the San Jose road was 10km away. if he didn't know it then, frankly, I don't know what I would have done.

But the fact that there were provisions still in the car suggests that he was no longer just waiting at the Canoa road but had decided on a riskier search.

My 2 cents.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 03:37 PM

Now that questions regarding the rake and shovel have been cleared up along with all the other facts ie valuable items still in the car, accounted for mileage, last picture the day after leaving Jardines etc it does appear probable that Gary drove the car and got stuck. Knowing how dehydration works it would be logical to believe that something happened to Gary when seeking to find help. The biggest hangup for me is that the car went 6 months without detection. I understand that the car was stuck away from the larger road but I do put a lot of credence in the rancher's belief that the car was not at that location in December. Shouldn't a car stuck in the same place for 6 months look different than one that had been there for a much shorter time? Looks like the next step is for the planned ground search. Just a word of caution- It does start to get really hot in that part of Baja in May so the sooner a well organized ground search can get going the better.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 03:44 PM

I was wondering why he ended up at Punta Canoa which was not one of the destinations mentioned by the family, when Punta Baja was closer and known to him.

In September 2013 fisherman from Punta Baja, Las Canoas, Punta San Carlos, Cachiji and El Rosario were blocking the road to Punta Baja to everyone, including tourists as a protest against the Cooperativa Ensenada. (They also blocked the carretera one day in protest and went to jail for a short time).

So maybe Gary went to Las Canoas and camped there because the access to Punta Baja was closed. The fishermen weren't there...they were protesting, some went to jail for blocking the highway, to be released later. That makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is how the truck suddenly turned up in the location it was found. If Gary had drowned when he was at Las Canoas and someone realized that his truck was abandoned and decided to take it for themselves and hide it where the rancher found it, why didn't they come back for it again when they got stuck? Why not take the surfboard, roof rack, plates, camera and portable items until the car could be stripped and repainted?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 03:51 PM

another theory,... a member of the rancher's family found the truck somewhere in the boondocks and brought it home - rancher realized it was being sought via posters looking for lost guy, so he fabricated story that he found it in desert and brought it home to his ranch for safe keeping,...

i have another theory that involves space alien abduction and is a bit less plausible
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 04:03 PM

Good one Goat! Anything is possible at this point in time. I only met the rancher for a short period of time and you all know what I think about him but then again it's all possible.

Lets just hope for a good outcome with Gary. It's been a long time and I told the family if and when he shows up I have first crack at him!

I have never posted this many times as I have with this thread. Maybe I'll catch up with David K. (looking at 40,000) or even Dennis. I was the 15th person to join Nomads and never had much to say before. Most of you on this board know Baja way more then me even though I have lived here for 25 years. I have driven the road to the end a few times but these off-road adventures have never been a priority.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 04:32 PM

Why can't the family get an inventory of what is inside the truck from the police? The rancher was obviously inside the truck with no problems, yet the family members could only look inside?

Plus, Gary is a missing person and now his vehicle has been recovered. That changes it from a possible case of someone who just wanted an adventure with no set plans to the more likely case of someone who has been the victim of a crime or a fatal accident. Does the family have any indication what the police are doing to locate their family member? Have they notified the American Consulate of the recent developments?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 04:33 PM

Is there not a coastal route from San Quintin to Punta Canoas and all points south?
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 04:51 PM

I have been reading with interest this thread for some time. I haven't gone through all of the posts though so this idea may already been gone over. If Gary was hiking out to get help he may have well been bitten by a rattlesnake at some point.
 Pages:  1  ..  63    65    67  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.