Pages:  1  ..  64    66    68  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Is there not a coastal route from San Quintin to Punta Canoas and all points south?

Depends on your definition of "coastal" Short answer is "no".

The paved Hwy 1 hugs the coast pretty well between San Quintin and El Rosario, and as such the beaches here are sketchy and not an ideal place to camp overnight.

It is very rugged between El Rosario and Canoas. Roads head off Hwy 1 to the coast in this area but I don’t think any really head up or down, just to a specific fish camp or two.

Also rather rough between Canoas and Faro San Jose, many of the "coastal" roads in this area have to head miles and miles inland to get around the deep canyons and headlands. South of Faro San Jose the road is pretty well on the coast; but again, there are still many areas where the road must head inland to get around the canyons and headlands.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Besides, Toyotas like that are about the easiest thing on earth to make entry into..... they are made to be stolen.
I could start the last Toyota that I owned with 4 different keys that were on my key ring.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:07 PM

so the turnoff he took would have been the best route to head towards canoas from San Quintin?
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Is there not a coastal route from San Quintin to Punta Canoas and all points south?

The paved Hwy 1 hugs the coast pretty well between San Quintin and El Rosario, and as such the beaches here are sketchy and not an ideal place to camp overnight.

It is very rugged between El Rosario and Canoas. Roads head off Hwy 1 to the coast in this area but I don’t think any really head up or down, just to a specific fish camp or two.

Also rather rough between Canoas and Faro San Jose, many of the "coastal" roads in this area have to head miles and miles inland to get around the deep canyons and headlands. South of Faro San Jose the road is pretty well on the coast; but again, there are still many areas where the road must head inland to get around the canyons and headlands.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:17 PM

I swore I wouldn't jump in and apologize if this has already been discussed, but there's something really nagging me about the rancher's account. He found the car and towed it to his house for safekeeping. He found a phone number that he thought was the family's. Where did he find it? He CALLED the family to let them know that the car was found, and it's location. But he DROVE to Catavina to notify the police. Why didn't he call the police if he had access to a phone? And if he believed that it was important for the police to be involved, why didn't he call/involve them (as others have said) before he moved the car? And why did HE call the family rather than leaving it to the police?

Dan, do you have a more detailed timeline of his actions other than what you've posted? It's unclear from this account where/when he found the phone number and when he called the family (before or after notifying the police).

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips

On March 05 the rancher reported that he drove his tractor to the vehicle and towed it to his ranch where it would be safe. Apparently other ranchers also are looking for cattle and he didn't want anything to happen to the SUV and all of the contents. After towing he drove to the Catavina Police and informed them of the vehicle. On March 09 the police came to his ranch and towed the SUV to their impound yard.

The rancher found a phone number for what he thought was the owners family and called and told them that the vehicle was found and where it was. He had no knowledge of Garys disappearance prior to locating the SUV.

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:18 PM

I don't why the police even let the boys see the camera let alone view what they did. I believe it's all protocol Latina. The Tijuana American Embassy has been in touch with the family and they contacted the family indicating that the vehicle has been released so they can pick it up anytime. It will be very interesting what is in the 4 Runner when they get it back. We know from the rancher what he saw and the family had a view but we don't know exactly what items they observed while at the Catavina PD. Just a waiting game right now.

A rattler could have very well hit him or a hungry Mountain Lion or a group of Coyotes. It's all a guessing game right now.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
so the turnoff he took would have been the best route to head towards canoas from San Quintin?
Quote:
Quote:

No, there is a road that turns off Hwy 1 between El Rosario and the turn off to Faro San Jose that goes to Canoas. IF he took the Faro San Jose road he was backtracking and spending a lot more time off road than he really needed to.

However, as it has been mentioned, he could have gone to Canoas for a couple of days and been heading back to Hwy 1 on the road where the 4Runner was found. He could have just been trying a different route back.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:21 PM

What I do know is that the rancher found a phone number somewhere in the vehicle for the family and called. There are no land lines or cellular operating in this remote area. The rancher said he called the family when he personally met with the police on March 05.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:28 PM

The rancher might have just kept the car for himself instead of reporting the vehicle if he wanted to cover anything up. No one ever would have found it and he could have repainted it and used it for himself or sold it. So I see absolutely no foul play here.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:28 PM

Thanks Dan. Now I can get over my obsession with this mystery. At least for now. :(

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:43 PM

Here is a statement made by Gary's brother who said he was headed to a surfing beach south of San Quintin:

http://www.dirtlive.com/forum/showthread.php?160-Be-on-looko...

Hello everyone. New member here.
Hoping all the added eyeballs in Baja for the 1000 will aid in the search for my brother, Gary Patton. God only knows what route he took looking for that "perfect photo"....... Hopefully, one of you will see something. . .
Gary visited Baja with friends almost all his life, but he traveled alone this time. His plan was to camp at surfing beaches south of San Quintin ​​​​, perhaps visit whale shark sites in B ​LA, but his love of photography could have caused him to explore new ground. He spoke often of talking with the owner at Mama Esponoza's .
Photo of his 2-wheel drive 4-Runner is on poster, but added rack is pictured here:
http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gea...ts/loadwarrior

Reports have been filed with Mexican and American Police, American Embassy, Red Cross, Flying Samaritan Doctors (eyes in the sky), and U.S. Border Patrol. BajaNomad.com members have been
helpful, with some riding the dirt and pavement, plus posting posters.

Gary's confirmed, last known communication and location:
* San Quintin (first night's stay @ Hotel Jardinis 9/4-5th );
Sightings since family reported Gary missing 9/10:
* Punta Abreojos fishing tournament 9/9 or 9/15 - vehicle spotting only; Unconfirmed, did not participate in event
* La Chorera beach (woman resident reported spotting vehicle only (9/16&17th)
* Bahia de Los Angeles (couple reported spotting vehicle while visiting there (9/22)
* Rosarito Beach (woman ID'd photo, reported a conversation w/Gary ~ 9/10 - 9/26)

Gary loves seafood, would eat at local street vendors, be seen taking photos of surfers and waves, not typically be in shopping malls, or staying in hotels, unless poor weather conditions. He'd be camping and near the water with vehicle. He would've had a surfboard and bogie board inside vehicle. He may have hired a fishing boat for fresh fish; would often use a pharmacia to call home or buy ibuprofen, snacks, etc.. His "dumb" cell phone only works in U.S. and all efforts to "track it" have been in vain. He does not use any credit cards, only cash cards. No bank activity has been noted in Mexico.
Family has made 2 road trips, working on a 3rd trip next week. We have volunteers actively flying and searching via roadways down to San Quintin area starting last weekend through this weekend: so far, nothing.
If anyone can report from the La Chohera areas, we could definitely use some searching there and in BOLA near whale shark lagoon(?), given the reports of seeing his vehicle.
Aqua Blanca was another area Gary mentioned.

REPORT ANY SIGHTINGS to Sheila Tubbs Patton at tubbs547@adelphia.net , or Patton Family at U.S. CELL # 949-697-9285 , OR call 066 for Mexico Emergency.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Patton family
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:55 PM

Could it have been a salvage more than an intentional theft of the truck? What if Gary had an accident in the ocean or walking around his campsite at the beach and didn't return to his truck for weeks or months? Could a person think, why let the police have first dibs on it after it's sat impounded at the station for a year or more? I might as well hide it until I can figure out what to do with it...Salvaging abandoned boats isn't a crime NOB...Did anyone ever actually go to the beach at Las Canoas between the time Gary has been missing and the day his truck was discovered?
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:56 PM

DanaB's questions and LL response have raised some additional questions. In an earlier post LL confirms that the rancher only speaks Spanish yet the Patton's speak English. Based on my experience with ranchers I have given the rancher the benefit of the doubt. His involvement might require additional investigation.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:

You can't even walk that route with a mule and not get stuck.... or, at least that's what Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay might tell you:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49180

;)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:06 PM

Quote:

He spoke often of talking with the owner at Mama Esponoza's .

So many people have commented on the timeframe Gary would've had in going south on Sept 5th (some speculating an "early morning" departure, but I don't see that noted anywhere as indeed a fact) - but the comment above made me again consider all the possibilities of where he could've stopped, or taken time out, along the way south that day.

Just a thought.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by latina
Could it have been a salvage more than an intentional theft of the truck? What if Gary had an accident in the ocean or walking around his campsite at the beach and didn't return to his truck for weeks or months? Could a person think, why let the police have first dibs on it after it's sat impounded at the station for a year or more? I might as well hide it until I can figure out what to do with it...Salvaging abandoned boats isn't a crime NOB...Did anyone ever actually go to the beach at Las Canoas between the time Gary has been missing and the day his truck was discovered?
yes.

okay one more time, if he had been out to the coast, it was loong time after he went missing. the same week the family reported him missing we were between punta canoas and santo domingo. huge rains had left the area between punta canoas down to punta maria a giant mud bog with standing water so deep many of the beach areas were totally inaccessible. the guys at the fish camp (who had just dug out a new 4wd chevy truck that was buried up to the door handles) told us the road out to catavina was impassible.
gary's car was only dusty, he hadn't been out there, in that time frame.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:22 PM

Then the bottom line is the search must begin in May where the car was found to look for clues first, hopefully it will start right after sunrise to avoid the sweltering heat.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:23 PM

From what I know on September 05 Gary left Jardines at around 6 am. He told them he was planning on returning in a few days (not specific). Mamas was contacted and the Guest book was reviewed by me and Brian McKinzy with nothing about Gary. Flyers were posted and as I said before, flyers were posted everywhere between BOLA and San Quintin. EVERYWHERE….
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:31 PM

Quote:

The coastal route from Canoas to San jose is a graded road. I was on it last month and did a trip report with pictures.
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:36 PM

Has anyone been able to look at the pictures on his cameras? Even if there is no GPS most pictures have a time and date. I know all I have to do is move my mouse over my thumbnails and the date and time of when the picture was taken appears. or right click then properties etc. etc.
Rick
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 06:40 PM
interesting.......

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73182

Pages:  1  ..  64    66    68  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.