Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stellantis-ram-ramcharger-gener...

"And when the battery is fully charged and the generator's 27-gallon gas tank is full, it can go up to 690 miles."

While this setup does use gasoline, it looks like at least a good backup if a charging station is not readily found, maybe alleviating the risk of being stuck.

this looks like a good concept can use electric for short trips, and have battery-electric for long trips. Only problem with it is that website makes it look like it will be luxury pickup. I usually buy my trucks as utilitarian, and skip the leather/fancy packages (motorized tailgates are ridiculous!). hope it's not an $80K pickup - ridiculous what some of the new pickups cost now...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 02:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

What could possibly go wrong with that set up?

Burning wood is a major cause of greenhouse gases. It is banned in California, especially for personal use - wood burning fireplaces, except by permit to clear some forested areas in a controlled burn.

Actually I was thinking about the hazards associated with rolling down the road in my Redneck locomotive! You know, the kind of things that could go wrong when I stuff the cargo area with a wood burning boiler putting out enough steam pressure to turn a 240v generator surrounded by firewood.

I did not think about the danger of my carbon footprint! :wow:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end.

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never. You are talking about the extreme edge case here with very few people doing this.

If you want to camp in some remote place for weeks on end, why don't you really "rough it" without a generator? Then we'll see the stuff you're made of! I don't understand why people need all the comforts of home provided by a generator when the say they are roughing it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 04:19 PM

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end.

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never.

Well, our gasoline cars cant power a campsite,… so is the e-car less of a car because it cant power a campsite?

Anyhow, it’s not camping if you bring AC and TV…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 05:40 PM

So you are home alone on a ridgeline and get the evacuation order because a wildfire is about to reach your house. You have two vehicles there, a fairly new conventional SUV and an EV of about the same value.

Which one are you going to throw your go-bag in? You may be living out of that car for a while, and your home charger is probably going to be gone along with some of the local main lines.

Hurry, the flames are almost there! :o

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never.

Well, our gasoline cars cant power a campsite,… so is the e-car less of a car because it cant power a campsite?

Anyhow, it’s not camping if you bring AC and TV…

I don't think people who stay for weeks on the beach in a motorhome or 5th wheel agree they are "camping" in the tenting and campfire sense either. Our 5th wheel while we were on the road was powered from our truck which kept the batteries charged so we could have AC and other electrics available when we stayed someplace overnight that didn't have power for the units. We didn't have solar in those days, and in a real bind we could start the truck and recharge the 4 large depleted batteries. We lived in our motorhome for months at a time, but it had an onboard 5kw generator in addition to the alternator charging system.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 06:30 PM

Re fires being either natural or accidental or purposeful. I think there's another category, which is actually the main cause of the majority of fires, called stupidity.
When someone leaves a campfire burning, or throws a lit cigarette out the car window, which starts a major fire, their actions were neither purposeful, like arson, nor an "accident", it's the result of human stupidity.

A lot of what humans refer to as accidents are not. If you simply lose your balance and fall off a balcony, that's an accident. If you lose your balance because you were drunk and fall off the balcony, that's stupidity- you shouldn't have been out on the balcony if you were too drunk to stand up or walk straight.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

It is a natural thing for wood to burn. Forest fires are natural and healthy for the forest.

Of course you are right about that. But we are talking about "un-natural" burning of wood - fireplaces, out of control campfires, poor maintenance by electric utility companies, burning the forest to make room for new housing development, etc. Are you keep'n up @TioLoco?

Keepin up? Light years ahead of ya, amigo.

The wood used in fireplaces and wood burning stoves would have been burned in a forest fire eventually. Down and dead trees litter the forest floor in nature. Eventually, they are a great source of energy when said forest has a lightning strike and burns with no man-made interventions....
Unfortunately, we dont log and thin appropriately in lieu of naturally occurring fires so when we get a fire, it threatens man made structures and becomes an emergency.

Every action has a reaction.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 06:55 PM

As those logs on the forest floor degrade, they give off methane, which is a more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 07:00 PM

Keepin up? Light years ahead of ya, amigo.

That's pretty easy to do! :yes:

Quote:
The wood used in fireplaces and wood burning stoves would have been burned in a forest fire eventually. Down and dead trees litter the forest floor in nature. Eventually, they are a great source of energy when said forest has a lightning strike and burns with no man-made interventions....
Unfortunately, we dont log and thin appropriately in lieu of naturally occurring fires so when we get a fire, it threatens man made structures and becomes an emergency.

I have to agree with you on that point. However, burning wood in a fireplace adds significantly to immediate climate change as opposed to waiting 1000 years for that forest to burn down. ;D
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2024 at 07:15 PM

It seems that you have never actually been in a natural, old growth forest which hasn't been encroached on by humans in some way.

Dead trees lying on the ground in a natural untouched forest retain a large amount of moisture. As such, along with their nutrients, they provide a growth medium for new trees, myceleum and other flora. They are usually covered in damp moss and lichen. The longer they lie there, the spongier they get. They aren't just dry logs lying there, like uncut firewood. They do not go up in flames very easily and actually help to slow down the spread of fire along the forest floor.

[Edited on 6-13-2024 by surabi]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 11:15 AM

I may have mentioned this latest city car from BYD before, only available at present in Mexico. I have not seen one on the road, but last time I was in the airport in Mexico city, there were signs all over advertising it. Price was close to the price of the Honda Fit, and it looked pretty similar, so definitely not for a lot of back road driving.
If you have availability of DC fast chargers, it charges quite quickly.
https://www.byd.com/us/news-list/BYD-DOLPHIN-MINI-Launched-i...

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 11:51 AM

I Price was close to the price of the Honda Fit, and it looked pretty similar, so definitely not for a lot of back road driving.

In Mexico, there are a lot of places aside from back road driving that those low-rider city cars have a hard time with. I see so many city cars that tourists from Guadalajara and other places drive on vacation to my touristy beach town. They slow down to almost dtopped to try to go over the speed bumps diagonally wiithout scraping bottom. Not to mention all the potholes, and many of the streets here outside the centro aren't paved.

In the rainy season, when there is a deluge and storm drains are plugged up with garbage, causing the streets to flood, those little cars are the first to be floating down the road. And if it's an EV, seems like the battery and other electric components would get soaked.

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by surabi]
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

In the rainy season, when there is a deluge and storm drains are plugged up with garbage, causing the streets to flood, those little cars are the first to be floating down the road. And if it's an EV, seems like the battery and other electric components would get soaked.

That is a common misconception. BEVs have been tested in flooded conditions and they still work and drive fine if they are not floating! AND BEVs are the last to float due their heavier weight (batteries) than ICE vehicles.

What is the safest car on the road (in crash tests) according to the NHTSB? All the Teslas led by the Tesla Model 3.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 12:48 PM

Good to know. I said "seems like" because I wasn't sure.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

That is a common misconception. BEVs have been tested in flooded conditions and they still work and drive fine if they are not floating! AND BEVs are the last to float due their heavier weight (batteries) than ICE vehicles.

What is the safest car on the road (in crash tests) according to the NHTSB? All the Teslas led by the Tesla Model 3.

Any car that is flooded deep enough to “float” is going to have a lot of damage, doesnt matter if EV or ICE.

Woke!

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 02:55 PM

There are a lot of limitations on city cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or this latest low cost tiny BEV, especially like you say over the topes so common in Mexico. Another is this particular BEV's acceleration is underwhelming. This tho is the first one that looks cheap enough to be very affordable to buy and in addition gets the advantage of far cheaper energy costs. Most BEV's til now have been focused on packing in the luxury features like heated seats and steering wheels.
Call this the VW bug of BEVs. Come to think of it, those bugs were especially popular in Mexico and Baja, so who knows?

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Any car that is flooded deep enough to “float” is going to have a lot of damage, doesnt matter if EV or ICE.

You may be right, but that's not what the tests of the electrical components and system showed, by several different testing agencies, after flooding and that's what I thought we were talking about. Essential electrical components in a BEV are completely sealed unlike an ICE vehicle. Certainly, there will likely be sheet metal and interior trim damage to any car that floats.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 07:24 PM

Has anyone heard what is happening with the Tesla Mega Factory in Mexico? Last I heard, it was delayed when huge tariffs were threatened if they shipped North.
It now seems anyone who manufactures overseas for cost savings is threatened with the same, also in European markets.
Latest targets appear to be BMW and other European manufacturers importing from plants in China or India as well.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 07:46 PM

Has anyone heard what is happening with the Tesla Mega Factory in Mexico? Last I heard, it was delayed when huge tariffs were threatened if they shipped North..

Yeah, I've been following that. It appears that that the Tesla factory in Mexico is now back on the front burner as a result of the election in Mexico and as the US and Mexico and Tesla are negotiating a win/win situation for all involved. So much depends on the outcome of the election this November with Biden being in favor of a compromise and Trump being in opposition. ?Pero, quien sabe? I don't want to make this political, but everything between governments is political.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.