Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10
Author: Subject: mulege status - just got this
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 10:29 AM
mulege update

things are still bad in mulege but, the surviving water purification place told me they would be up and running this afternoon (hopefully), so we will have drinking water, the town now has electricity and there are many line crews working very hard setting new poles to outlying communities. so we are making progress though slowly.

Want what you have
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 10:32 AM

To be clear: Don't view them as adversarial competitors.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 10:33 AM

To be clear: Don't view them as adversarial competitors.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 12:01 PM
That's right Tony

You folks need not worry about the cash donations, they will be sent via bank tranfer as soon as is prudent and in coordination with trustworthy people in Mulege.

We want someone with two feet planted firmly on the ground in Mulege who can assess to best use for our donations.
I have been in contact with the Rotary Club since yesterday and am following their lead as to what is going in ASAP and what will be needed on the next delivery.

So far over $2000 raised on our site with more coming in.

Bravo and thanks to all the compassionate people who put their trust and money forward. Corky

Sharks Relief Fund

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

exclamation.gif posted on 9-6-2006 at 12:25 PM
REGARDING THE ROAD NORTH...

The director of the SCT, Jos? Antonio Ram?rez G?mez, announced this morning that the road is now open all the way to Tijuana. He says that drivers should exercise great caution in several areas, especially Kilometer 15 of the road between Insurgentes and Loreto where there was major damage. He warns that drivers must be careful because there are over 500 people working to repair damages in different parts of the road and there is lots of heavy machinery. Gas is available all the way up. Also all the ferry service has been resumed despite the heavy damages to the piers in Santa Rosalia and Pichilingue.

Posted on behalf of Elena Moreno - Todos Santos

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 01:39 PM

FYI- Here is another place for donations:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...
International Community Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)3, non-profit that has been in this line of work for a while. Their Disaster Relief fund was empty, and they have temporarily designated it for Hurricane John relief, to be heavily concentrated in the Mulege/Santa Rosalia area. ICF is a pass-through organization that enables other bona-fide non-profits with demonstrated ability to perform, along with occasional pilot projects when appropriate. Most of their efforts are in or near Baja, as they are HQ'd in San Diego.

The current plans, subject to improvement as opportunity develops, are to
1) purchase supplies in TJ/Ensenda at Costco and other cost effective suppliers. Manhattan Beach Sister City Org. has taken the lead for organizing the heavy lifting (see www.mhsistercity.org for their info). Then
2) truck by commercial carrier if possible thru donation, discount or cost effectiveness, and/or volunteer caravans from northern Baja.
3) If border crossing issues are resolved by the consulate, cross-border shipments will also be managed as available.

For those who have a foundation requiring such, or are otherwise only inclined to donate through established 501(c)3 non-profit conduits, this is a well established outfit with a lot of projects under its belt. They ask the questions like where, and through whom will distribution take place (initial aim is to go through local Rotary clubs, and it may be that Santa Rosalia's club is less up to their pits in mud than Mulegeno Rotarians, and more poised to do a good job in Mulege as well as SR as need exists), which will be monitored as deliveries progress to assure effectiveness.

As stated above, various efforts are all to be applauded, all have their place, and all are certain to be underappreciated due to the sheer magnitude of the need. This is complementary, and not competition. Time to "Git 'er Done!'

I just checked & the fund is up to $2,200.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 03:58 PM

Damn... l see and hear a huge storm behnd Mulege. Hope lt's dry!

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by Russ]
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 04:53 PM
bad news, more rain

it is currently raining in mulege, the last thing we need ! doesnt look like just a shower, not going to do the airstrip any good . keep you posted

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:33 PM
MULEGE great update- 9/6/06

MULEGE- 9/6/06 observations: what a difference a day makes?Ok, four days then.
The electric company gets an big ?A? for effort. Everywhere I went in Mulege today I saw their trucks erecting power polls and stringing lines. The trucks are all new and well staffed- at least 15 of them my guess. With reports of the road still out south of Loreto and at San Ignacio, where did they come from? Power is now restored in the central area of town and very narrow fringe areas. This allowed for some major immediate improvements- the town Pemex is now pumping gas (Pemex on highway has no power yet), the one and only RO water store now has water to sell (and cubed ice by tonight they say), and city water is flowing in the town center (pressure is very low because everyone is using it), the grocery stores now have refrigeration and lights (four markets were open this afternoon and all were unloading lots of food items), and three restaurants will be open for tonight. Also three of the central motels appeared to be open.
When I first saw the Senenidad air strip on Monday, I then thought that once the standing water was gone and the ground firmed up, it would be fine. I now see some work will be required before a plane lands, not a lot, but there are some small washed out areas and a bunch of rocks that planes wouldn?t like.
The people in town were much more themselves today. Easy smiles today, and none of the panic buying of Monday for food. The tortillaria opened up today, and will stay open tonight, this makes for happy people I?m sure.
With these turn of events, it would seem that those waiting to come down until the time was good, can now do so knowing there are signs of the good life returning.
BTW- I was along the river most of the day and didn?t see even one skeetter.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:40 PM
WoW

What a relive

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:47 PM
Thanks for the Update!!

Great news and thanks to everyone working so hard to help the community!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 05:54 PM

I'm wearing a big smile (and a tear of joy) !!!

Thank you CasaManzana !
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 06:07 PM

Thanks Jim hope you don't mind I am passing this on to herb to pass on
Ron:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
CharlieP

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 06:22 PM

Great news. I am not surprised that the airstrip is in need of repair. What about the hotel? How much of Serenidad survived?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 06:58 PM
Yahoo and a Rotary message

Yahoo...

The donation amount is over $2500 aws!
Gracias
===============================
Now , here is the latest from Rotary Tahoe:
===============================

This is what is going on with the Tahoe Rotary Club effort to send aid to Mulege, BCS. Mulege has suffered extensive flood damage from Tropical Storm John, much of the town was underwater and there are many Mexican and American people homeless and without food or water. Roads have been closed so there has been little or no aid to date.

We spent a few hours stocking up on needed items today and hopefully they will be transported by private plane to Mulege area. If Serenidad is open by then, pilot Jerry McCord, will land there. If not, his options are Punta Chivato or Palo Verde. Jerry has a place near town. His e-mail is above (joycemcc-atworldnet.att.net)

The Tahoe Douglas and South Tahoe Rotary Clubs have purchased MREs, FOOD, some water purification tablets (we could only find a limited amount), DEET, mosquito netting, duct tape, more FOOD and as much water as the plane will hold. There may also be some new clothing (basic) and some medical supplies if we can get them to the plane. There may be other things that I have forgotten. Nobody mentioned duct tape, but I?m sure you need it. J

Hopefully, Jerry will be in by Friday evening. I will keep you all posted.

Keep our pilot in your prayers and thank you everyone for your information and support with this.

I?ll be available by e-mail or cell phone

Susan Glasson

PS Bob and Mark, we spent all the money you allocated. We may have some private donations coming in to Tahoe Douglas Rotary Club or South Tahoe Rotary earmarked for this project. If so, we?re gonna spend it and send it!

PSS Joe or Paula, please distribute to membership ASAP. thanks

PSSS check out our website at www.tahoe-rotary.com if you want to know who we are and what we do here in Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
You folks need not worry about the cash donations, they will be sent via bank tranfer as soon as is prudent and in coordination with trustworthy people in Mulege.

We want someone with two feet planted firmly on the ground in Mulege who can assess to best use for our donations.
I have been in contact with the Rotary Club since yesterday and am following their lead as to what is going in ASAP and what will be needed on the next delivery.

So far over $2000 raised on our site with more coming in.

Bravo and thanks to all the compassionate people who put their trust and money forward. Corky

Sharks Relief Fund

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:01 PM
Bruce

can you add to that good news. Waiting for instructions, Corky

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
can you add to that good news. Waiting for instructions, Corky

yes but only a little Jim said it pretty much. I was working with a couple guys today that came in to Mulege in a helicopter. bringing supply's and computers for the High school. what nice people.

also things that most people need are Bedding sleeping cots, clothing and shoes all sizes but mostly children sizes. wheel borrows and shovels, blue plastic tarps.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:40 PM

Bruce, please list items the Mulege schools need...

I received a phone call from a Baja Nomad who couldn't log on (Doug will help) who wants to help the damaged schools with supplies, etc.

So, if you or anyone else in Mulege can post what the schools that were damaged need, then please post them.

Thanks!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:53 PM

I haven't seen any red cross at all here but they are always here in fair weather looking for donations. another note the people from the rehab facility have moor than doubled the number of beggars on the streets but wont lift a finger to help anyone.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Exiceskater

[*] posted on 9-6-2006 at 07:53 PM
Tanya and Herman Mauer

Just to let all of you of know we have heard from Tanya and Herman and they both are ok. They we in the motor home at Carlo's house and the water still got to them. They did save the truck and that is about it. They are both ok.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.