Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9
Author: Subject: QUESTION ABOUT TIRES
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 09:54 AM

Thanks Ken... impressive video.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

shocked.gif posted on 2-11-2012 at 10:42 PM
Big *ALKEN Thread!

The JeepForum guys are going back and forth over the OVERALL win for Falken Wild Peak ATs at the King of the Hammers Every Man Challenge.

link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/falken-wildpeaks-koh-toug...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 10:46 PM

The Falkens they are pushing at Discount Tires don't look like those... so I am guessing the Rocky Mountains and Wild Peaks (once said to be the same) are different (or are different now)?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 10:50 PM
No, same tire

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The Falkens they are pushing at Discount Tires don't look like those... so I am guessing the Rocky Mountains and Wild Peaks (once said to be the same) are different (or are different now)?

These tires were modified using a tire grooving iron.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

These tires were modified using a tire grooving iron.

Serious?? That sure doesn't speak well of a tire company promoting a tire on their company Jeep that isn't even made or needs to be so seriously modified... meaning the ones they sell won't work. All those repeating squares were hand made onto the tire Ken, really? wow

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 01:37 PM

DK BFG does it too. The winning tire on the Trophy Trucks and class one buggies is the Baja T/A where as the most popular tire sold to the truck public is the All-Terrain KO. The smaller classes use the KO too but they are not overalling the race. Beside if your paying out of pocket it's cheaper. I'd have to look at a T/A but the KO says it's a Baja Champion. I don't think I've ever seen a T/A on a street vehicle but maybe that's because the smallest you can buy is a 33 inch tire.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 06:47 PM

Tom, it is the brand name 'Wild Peak' (shown on the video I posted) that I thought was the same tire as the 'Rocky Mountain', both by Falken... Either that has changed or the tire shown on that Jeep is neither, or custom made, as Ken says...?

The Baja TA is the racing tire, not DOT approved for highway use... I knew. I think only General makes a DOT approved tire that looks almost identicle to their racing tire... The Grabber (with red letters).

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Tom, it is the brand name 'Wild Peak' (shown on the video I posted) that I thought was the same tire as the 'Rocky Mountain', both by Falken... Either that has changed or the tire shown on that Jeep is neither, or custom made, as Ken says...?

I don't know why, but the Wild Peak AND the Rocky Mountain are both the same tires by the same company.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote:

The Baja TA is the racing tire, not DOT approved for highway use... I knew. I think only General makes a DOT approved tire that looks almost identicle to their racing tire... The Grabber (with red letters).

I believe it is

Brand name Falcon with models Rocky Mountain and Wild Peak
and where did you get that they don't work?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Brand name Falcon with models Rocky Mountain and Wild Peak

Discount Tires sells the Rocky Mountain ATS, and all other retailers sell the Wild Peak. That's straight from the horses mouth.

link: http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?137436-Falken-wild-pe...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 12:28 PM

I heard BFG is cutting back on their off road sponsorship. A lot of racers that use to get free tires will have to pay for them or go elsewhere. Also I heard BJ Ballwin left General and I think he went to Toyo.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 07:16 PM

Quote:

FYI - that's not entirely true. There is more than one Baja T/A. The racers get a "special" version, and it does not have a DOT number on it. You can buy another version, based on that one, that does have the DOT # on it. I think it retails for about $800/tire.

The retail version is Kevlar-belted, at last word. The racing tire ... who knows.

At least that's my understanding - but what do I know, I'm not a racer.

[Edited on 2-22-2012 by Roberto]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 09:20 PM
The Baja TA

The BFG Baja TA

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 03:04 PM

I've never run the tires myself. I have been in a group where people were running them, however. One of the interesting things is that, looking at the tire, you really wouldn't think it to have any exceptional off-road traction. But, that's not true at all. These tires grab much better than other tires with a much deeper tread. Guess BFG has learned a thing or two.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 06:50 PM

Thanks Roberto and Ken... I didn't know there was a highway legal Baja T/A.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks Roberto and Ken... I didn't know there was a highway legal Baja T/A.

I have been running Mexican-made Interco tires for the past several years, and they don't have DOT numbers, but are highway legal here in the United States.

The Baja T/A is good for running through washes at high rates of speed, but very little else. So, don't feel bad that you are not running them. I wouldn't have any use for them judged by my latest trip this past President's Day Weekend in Twentynine Palms.

Bob driving w/BFG AT/KO's did fine in this mud hole - believe it or not!

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 09:31 PM

You're right - they are not Jeep tires, and not made for crawling. But, it would be a mistake to think they are good only for running through washes at high speed. They are a superior general purpose desert tire, that does superbly at high speed.

Trust me. I think you would be amazed if you could see these in action up close and personal.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 10:51 PM
FOURWHEELER April 2012 Tire Guide exerpt

..."BFGoodrich Baja T/A
The BFG Baja T/A is purely a desert survivability tire. It's not about trail traction, flexibility, or light weight. The Baja T/A is built to stay in one piece and hit rocks at 120 mph while under a 6,000 pound, 800 hp, sand-blasting ball of fury known as a Trophy Truck. The Baja T/A features a virtually bombproof sidewall. There is also a full race-only version that's even stouter, but you'll have to be on the sponsored list to get a set of those. The BFG Baja T/A can roll down the street fairly smoothly, but the stiff sidewall can cause some flat-spotting on cold mornings. These are hand-built, purpose-bred tires that don't do much else than what they were designed for. They pack up in mud, don't flex enough or stick well to rocks and are worthless in snow and ice. But you can't beat 'em for high-speed desert use."

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 09:13 AM

I have been very pleased with the much cheaper all terrain tires I am running now, Hankook Dynapro ATM/ RF10 (265/75-16).

What I like in such a tire is it to be quiet on the highway, plus good sand, snow and mud running.

Other truck/ SUV tires that passed this test include Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2012 at 11:54 PM
PeeWee Tire

Quote:
I have been very pleased with the much cheaper all terrain tires I am running now, Hankook Dynapro ATM/ RF10 (265/75-16).

What I like in such a tire is it to be quiet on the highway, plus good sand, snow and mud running.

Other truck/ SUV tires that passed this test include Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR.

The problem with the Hankook Dynapro is that it is only made up to 33" Diameter. This is a PeeWee all terrain tire. At least the Falken comes in enthusiast sizes. :!:

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.