Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:13 AM

it's my story and i'm sticking to it...

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:14 AM

My reasoning was also two fold. I knew these guys would be on a constant diet of tacos, beans and burritos. So I tried to give them an experience of something a little different.I also would like to add that both boys are not being subsidized by their parents or family, and they get a stipend from National Geographic but it is very minimal. I assumed Justin was born with a gold spoon in his mouth because he went to Pepperdyne. Not so. He earned a scholarship to a private high school near the Calabasas, California area and also earned a full academic scholarship to Pepperdyne in Malibu for all four years of college. His family was not rich and he grew up in a single family home. He had a job at 17 years old as a television producer intern, and said he knew that is what he wanted to work in at an early age. Brian also went to the Christian high school in Calabasas and I was impressed that they both opened doors for me and were perfect gentlemen.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well, my idea of authentic is where the locals go to eat...expand your horizons a little, my friend!!

you make my argument! close by means local, not authentic!

anyway. they are burping so who cares?

Woodenman:
you are full of bs. Tacos are not authentic. Kumeyaay Indians ate acorns, yucca, berries, fish and game. Local Indians did not farm/eat corn. It was all hunting/gathering. No farming! No ranching!

P.s. the authentic food was crappy food. I would choose the Argentinian restaurant over a Kumeyaay restaurant!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:35 AM

Well....these guys are going to be leaving the fun 'n games leg of their journey pretty soon.......if they survive Carnaval in Ensenada. It's time to get down to the business of survival.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:47 AM

Dennis, they went back to the place they slept at 9 pm. They didn't step foot in the Carnival...geez.....you are pretty critical of others for someone who had fun n' games all those years at Sharkey's.

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Dennis, they went back to the place they slept at 9 pm.

Paris en La Noche? Or was it Anthony's?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:17 AM

It was an area by Hospital Velmar...some office connected with National Geographic.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
It was an area by Hospital Velmar...some office connected with National Geographic.

I wonder if they stayed at the Terra Peninsular Offices --- it is in that area. Not sure if they have any ties with National Geographic, but the are a very active conservation organization.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:39 AM

You are right Diana. It was an office connected with some conservational organization, Wildcoast...I assumed they had ties with National Geographic...
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

I wonder if they stayed at the Terra Peninsular Offices --- it is in that area. Not sure if they have any ties with National Geographic, but the are a very active conservation organization.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:42 AM

Prior to crossing the border, Bryan and Justin spent time with the Wildcoast staff in their San Diego office to help prep and plan their journey...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
You are right Diana. It was an office connected with some conservational organization, Wildcoast...I assumed they had ties with National Geographic...
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

While the people we have met from Terra Peninsular very much support the work of Wildcoast, I do not believe they have any direct connection.

So either way, they were with good people. :-)

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 10:49 AM

I have been spelling Bryan's name wrong, sorry!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
David, this place is very close to my home in Ensenada, in Valle Verde where I live. I remember in medical school, there was an Orthopedics professor teaching us the musculoskeletal system who raved about the place but he used to go for a bowlful of entrails every year or so, which he said was full of fat so he couldn't eat it often. Just the idea of entrails turned me off as I am not a huge fan of menudo, etc. Anyway, I just looked it up and surprisingly Tillie Foster was there this year in January. Don't know if you know Tillie Foster, but she works at the San Nicolas Hotel in Ensenada, and is the most active 82 year old lady I know. She is on her way to Puerto Vallarta and will be going to Guerrero Negro to see the whales in a few months. She is also the liason known to the American Consulate and Sharp Health care as many of these presentations are given at the San Nicholas hotel...also organizer of the Red Hat Ladies of Ensenada. She is a very sweet and friendly lady. Here is the link to her review of the restaurant (also a map to the place) on Trip advisor. I will go there today and check it out and report back since two of the Nomads on this thread have raved about it as it appears to have more than entrails. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d153696...

OMG, they used my August, 2001 photo... LOL! Only 3 reviews and the one from 2011 is accurate. It isn't a 'taco shop' or menudo joint... it is exotic, central Mexican (Aztec) style dishes and only open on weekends and closed when the food ran out, usually early. We got there once about 5pm on Saturday, and they had just closed. My first time there was with DavidE, elgatoloco and BajaBarb, and Fishin' Rich.

Tillie Foster and I know each other, but it has been many years... She was a regular guest at my Viva Baja parties and always brought the grand door prize (weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)... It was won once by El Jefe and another time by Wild Bill and Elena LaLoca...

Here's Tillie at my 2003 Viva Baja party:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
(weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)...

WOW....a weekend with Ms Tillie.....and in the Honeymoon Suite to boot. I'll bet that's the room with the mirror over the bed and a stack of DVDs on the nightstand.
Why....Ms Tillie.......you are full of surprises. :o
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 03:03 PM

Tillie wouldn't like that Dennis, then again you weren't that nice to her on the Punta Banda Bulletin Board either. Thank God you compensated by buying her flowers. Tillie is a very respectable gal.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Tillie wouldn't like that Dennis, then again you weren't that nice to her on the Punta Banda Bulletin Board either. Thank God you compensated by buying her flowers. Tillie is a very respectable gal.

Ahhhh yes.......the flowers. Forgot all about that.
Just to clarify something here......the good doctora here bought the flowers and signed my name to the card....something like that.

Image is everything. :lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 03:24 PM

Ha Ha, Dennis there you go again. Don't blame me for your good deeds.:?:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 08:09 PM
Tillie Foster and the Taco de Huitzilopochtli en Valle Verde

Hi David,
Just touched base with Tillie Foster on Facebook and gave her the link here. She found it interesting. I passed by the Taco de Huitzilopochtli in Valle Verde, and I saw Birria (not a fan of Birria), Chivo, (not a fan of eating goat), and Medulla (not a fan of eating brains) on the menu outside the restaurant. No carne asada, no chile rellenos and no tamales or enchiladas. Now I remember what my professor used to eat, medulla (brains). So, no I don't think I will be going there anytime soon. It looks considerably run down from the picture you posted as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
David, this place is very close to my home in Ensenada, in Valle Verde where I live. I remember in medical school, there was an Orthopedics professor teaching us the musculoskeletal system who raved about the place but he used to go for a bowlful of entrails every year or so, which he said was full of fat so he couldn't eat it often. Just the idea of entrails turned me off as I am not a huge fan of menudo, etc. Anyway, I just looked it up and surprisingly Tillie Foster was there this year in January. Don't know if you know Tillie Foster, but she works at the San Nicolas Hotel in Ensenada, and is the most active 82 year old lady I know. She is on her way to Puerto Vallarta and will be going to Guerrero Negro to see the whales in a few months. She is also the liason known to the American Consulate and Sharp Health care as many of these presentations are given at the San Nicholas hotel...also organizer of the Red Hat Ladies of Ensenada. She is a very sweet and friendly lady. Here is the link to her review of the restaurant (also a map to the place) on Trip advisor. I will go there today and check it out and report back since two of the Nomads on this thread have raved about it as it appears to have more than entrails. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d153696...

OMG, they used my August, 2001 photo... LOL! Only 3 reviews and the one from 2011 is accurate. It isn't a 'taco shop' or menudo joint... it is exotic, central Mexican (Aztec) style dishes and only open on weekends and closed when the food ran out, usually early. We got there once about 5pm on Saturday, and they had just closed. My first time there was with DavidE, elgatoloco and BajaBarb, and Fishin' Rich.

Tillie Foster and I know each other, but it has been many years... She was a regular guest at my Viva Baja parties and always brought the grand door prize (weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)... It was won once by El Jefe and another time by Wild Bill and Elena LaLoca...

Here's Tillie at my 2003 Viva Baja party:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by David K]

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:19 PM

What does this have to do with the walk? These guys are on a long F@%#ing walk and you are talking about BS. Can we please get back to the guys and their walk. Blister aside, they are getting in shape for a quite a walk, let's focus on them.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:29 PM

Right now they are near Zorillo. I did my servicio social there and just emailed them not to sleep right in the town because gets very violent at night. Hopefully they got near Las Canadas near the security or the roadside police station. I think I have done my part focusing on them, and I don't think they were upset about the thread taking a little bend in the road as all threads seem to do at times. Love your life as your mood says....and relax!! Or better yet, send the guys a few bucks to help them along their path, not that they are asking for it, but anything would help.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
What does this have to do with the walk? These guys are on a long F@%#ing walk and you are talking about BS. Can we please get back to the guys and their walk. Blister aside, they are getting in shape for a quite a walk, let's focus on them.

I think the restaurant was being considered as a place for them to eat. It did stray away from that somewhat, but the original intention was appropriate.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.