BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11
Author: Subject: What A Ride For The Peso
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 01:55 PM

Mitchman for 98% of the Mexicanos the surtax is SIXTEEN PERCENT. The PRI is also trying to affix IVA for doctor visits. People with Seguro would pay 16% tax, in cash for each visit. What's next, a poll tax? Let's see, no tax if a person votes PRI and full boat 16% tax if they don't?

It's gets worse. It does look like the "Minimum Bank Balance" measure is going to go into effect for residentes permanentes. They're talking about 50,000 pesos minimum, but it is to take place in steps.

Next is to change the status of tax for the Bajas Californias so it matches the mainland. Establish a free zone, just like the rest of Mexico for CAR PERMITS and ban the ownership of everything but national cars for residentes permanentes. Exactly like on the mainland. They have got to do something with the FRONTERA cars and this is where the hints and tips vanish. Ismael seems to think Aduana is going to allow the changing of status of Frontera cars to Nacional but not USA cars nor cars from any other country. He seemed to smirk (this was over the telephone) when it came to the subject of fees. I guess the tax is going to be substantial. Foreign plated cars will be out-of-luck just like they are on the mainland. For tourists, the 200,300,400 dollar Banjercito deposit, car permit 180-day fee, and proof of FMM status will apply. I asked him if he had any idea where the "Line" will be and he said he did not know. (Maneadero perhaps?).

I've got to point out that at this point, all of the above is being "discussed". I would dismiss it, except the tax on medicines and food were not too long ago "being discussed".

The golden days are fading. I feel it in my bones...

God, what a shame.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:53 AM

As we speak:

12.8779 to 1

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
As we speak:

12.8779 to 1

I'm going to buy as soon as it hits 12.8781

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 11:55 AM

The "kicker" is the FED USA keeps devaluing the dollar. Despite the smoke and mirrors of currency exchanges when the US dollar is suddenly worth less against a major percentage of world currencies, are you going to buy the story that all those currencies" are worth more"? Or choose Door Number Two: The dollar is worth less? The Chinese are going to track the dollar even if it means having the peso worth 1 to 1, or the Euro worth 10 to 1. They are latched tighter than a tick. We are their major trading partner and I smell a huge rat - like the USA selling our newfound shale crude oil to to China. If the host cannot support the tick, the honorable masses are going to start beheading the politburo members. So much for technocrat finance theory. Like communism, it looks good on paper.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
As we speak:

12.8779 to 1

I'm going to buy as soon as it hits 12.8781

12.8640 right now.
Jeeezo...the dollar is in a disintegrating freefall as a result of congress giving us a temporary fix on fiscal disaster.
Ohhh well....things will fall apart again in a couple of months and we'll be back to normal.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
DavidE
Mitchman for 98% of the Mexicanos the surtax is SIXTEEN PERCENT. The PRI is also trying to affix IVA for doctor visits. People with Seguro would pay 16% tax, in cash for each visit. What's next, a poll tax? Let's see, no tax if a person votes PRI and full boat 16% tax if they don't?

It's gets worse. It does look like the "Minimum Bank Balance" measure is going to go into effect for residentes permanentes. They're talking about 50,000 pesos minimum, but it is to take place in steps

Man, what are they thinking? It is so myopic and reflects economic/financial inexperience or gross naivete of their legislature. These sweeping measures, should they be imposed overnight, would be counter productive and even damaging, especially in the short run. It's like they have a bunch of careless brash yahoos running the country.

Having a checking account in Mexico is pain in the neck as it is. So many Mexican independent contractors refuse to use bank accounts, as a result, most if not all of the their income remains under the table...and the Mexican government wonders why they have a problem finding and income taxing the under the table income.

Their dumbasss solution is to impose large flat transaction taxes mostly affecting the lower end people to make up for lost revenue due to underground income not being taxed. If they would just lift up their heavy heads and look around at the their next door neighbor's (USA) banking practices, taxing authority audit practices they would see that easy use checking accounts and mandatory (penalized if you don't) accounting and record keeping requirements would go a long way in solving the most common type of underground hidden income tax loss. I guess they don't realize the quality audit trail that checking accounts provide.

It seems as though, when the government perceives a problem, they go after low hanging fruit types of simplistic gross solutions that hurt the wrong people and the economy itself.

And this dumbasss "factura" thing...I wonder what genius thought that one up?

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by MitchMan]
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:53 PM

MitchMan states:

" These sweeping measures, should they be imposed overnight, would be counter productive and even damaging"

Like the PRI cares, do you remember the night 3 zeros went missing from the peso, I am sure it affected more people then than this tax will...

And another thing,why not wait until the law is passed instead of speculating what it will affect, there is nothing expats or tourists can do about it anyway...

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:51 PM
IVA

Instant value added...right !!!.....LOL:lol: I rember the peso devalue well myself..as a young guy with a big pile of peso's and everthing Sooo cheap !! I was living the life...then there was only one(1) hotel between SJ and cabo..I used LOVE the green 10,000 peso note..made me feel like a rich guy...LOL:lol:

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by captkw]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 10:45 AM
My fifty centavo bill

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Instant value added...right !!!.....LOL:lol: I rember the peso devalue well myself..as a young guy with a big pile of peso's and everthing Sooo cheap !! I was living the life...then there was only one(1) hotel between SJ and cabo..I used LOVE the green 10,000 peso note..made me feel like a rich guy...LOL:lol:

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by captkw]

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2013 at 01:48 PM

The Mexican government was ready REALLY REALLY READY to loot the energy sector by privatizing electrical production. Then California de-regulated and my Mexican neighbors and myself watched the massive rape on Mexican Television. The public was outraged. The politicians were going to take the proceeds and run.

CARLOS SLIME was conciliatory about improving TelMex, and reducing rates UNTIL his rabbi came back the PRI. The accommodating Slime is nowhere to be seen. For the next five years he has it knocked. Rural communities are STUCK with pitifully underpowered communications. Need a land line or internet in Bahia Asuncion? Good Luck. Carloss wants to be the first trillionaire in history. He'll never get there, but he keeps trying. It's nice when you are THE monopoly.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 12:52 PM
12.717468715 to the $

Just got back from the bank ATM in Loreto and that is what I got when I pulled out 10,000 peso's, cost $786.32.

This is real time, not some web site.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 01:33 PM

Señor Howard...

Which bank? There seems to be a noticeable difference in tipo de cambio between BanaMex and BanComer.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 02:39 PM

BanaMex on Salvatierra.

It would be interesting if some else posts a w/d at an ATM this weekend to see what they got.

George Bernard Shaw

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 03:01 PM

I know in the space of 45 minutes, I saw 90 centavos difference in the tipo de cambio between BanaMex and BanComer ATM machines.

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 03:13 PM

Which one gave the higher rate? Was it over a weekend?

George Bernard Shaw

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 11:31 AM

Today------10/27/13

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:17 AM

The difference was on a Tuesday morning, around 10:00AM - 11:00. Banamex gave an 11 centavos less (lower) rate of exchange but charged 27 pesos for the transaction rather than BanComer's 77 pesos fee (since then I understand Bancomer has lowered their fee a little).

What is really warping the Peso Dollar exchange rate, is the Fed is frequently devaluing the dollar. Mexico is caught in a bind, if they let the peso's value climb too high, they risk losing a lot of trade with the US and Canada. The Chinese meanwhile have a death grip on the dollar. They cannot risk prices shooting up on goods and having trade severely impacted. Unemployed Chinese can pose a very real threat to eat the Politburo.

Where does this all end? Who the hell knows. We have legions of "speculators" who would sell their mother for a dollar. Coffee, orange juice, wheat, rice, electricity, it's all prime fodder for Ali Babba and The Forty Thieves. Mexican companies got badly burned when they tried fiddling in the derivatives market. CeMex went through some tough times and had to lay off a lot of workers.

Think this is a joke? The part about manipulation of goods and prices?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/russian-asteroid...

We're running out of oil and that apple "really" should cost eight dollars!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
BanaMex on Salvatierra.

It would be interesting if some else posts a w/d at an ATM this weekend to see what they got.

ATM WITHDRAWAL - H S B C /H S B C ENSENADA, B. MX $464.70 (includes their charge for 6,000 pesos) = 12.912/$

Bob Durrell
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
......CARLOS SLIME was conciliatory about improving TelMex, and reducing rates UNTIL his rabbi came back the PRI. .....

David,
I don't understand your reference to "his rabbi" ???? Can you please explain?

Don't believe everything you think....
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:42 PM

Carlos and the PRI are even closer than the PRI is to Televisa. All of the so-called "reforms" and consumer advocacy of TelMex stopped dead in its tracks once the Movie actress and her husband went to Los Pinos. The SCT was revamped and the chances of meaningful telephone competition went the way of 3 peso gasoline.

Slim has boasted (remember he is the epitome of Mexican MACHO) that he will do anything to become the richest man in the world. He doesn't even believe in investing in Mexico. Much of his money now is directed at the USA market. Un cerdo mas gordo. The Trac Phone market for instance.

Slim talks like an arrogant racist. He secretly mocks the USA (sends relatives to schools in Europe) and likewise his family shops at the best boutiques in Europe.

And the "government" the PRI has promised Slim no competition during this sexenio.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.