Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:21 AM
Drought or just normal for here?

We are in winter 2014 still, so not on graph yet.

Edit: Last year was San Diego's 13th driest year in recorded history of rainfall (almost 150 years back), ie. there were 12 years with less rainfall than last year. So, we are dry... but not different than many other years in the least.

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

We are in winter 2014 still, so not on graph yet.

Edit: Last year was San Diego's 13th driest year in recorded history of rainfall (almost 150 years back), ie. there were 12 years with less rainfall than last year. So, we are dry... but not different than many other years in the least.

David, you need to look at Sierra snow pack if you are referring to California's drought. There are huge deficits there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:44 AM

I am referring (as I have said often here) to Southern California's weather, it is where I live.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:56 AM

I am referring (as I have said often here) to Southern California's weather, it is where I live.

There you go again....David, where do you get your water? The drought is real despite what you see or don't see.

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by Bajaboy]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Why are there over 600 scientists standing by a letter they signed saying essentially it nothing but hooey?
Why has even the guy responsible for the original data collection saying HIS data collection is sloppy?
If I remember correctly, Tucson AZ was sited as an historical data collection site BUT the "concrete island effect" due to population explosion was not factored in on the final report for temp rise over the study period.
As has been postulated It all comes down to funding! The sky is falling!
We're looking at a few hundred years in what 4 or 5 billion?
Climatologists can't predict next weeks weather and now we are predicting the end of the earth?
Just heard this week that it has been the coldest winter back east on record. To add, there has been no significant warming trend for over 18 years from what I read.
If you look at the qualifications of those 600 "scientists" almost none of them are climate scientists and many of them are not what we'd consider scientist at all, but just have bachelor of science degrees.

I'm surprised Rand Paul hasn't claimed to be climate scientist yet

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 12:15 PM

2013_Snowfall_Snowpack_Chart (Medium).gif - 38kB

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by blackwolfmt]

_80328070_temperature_anomaly_624.gif - 20kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 12:53 PM

That graph while made to look wildly scary show only a 1.1 degree change in temperature over 134 years. Seriously, that causes you to panic and stop having children or move underground? What was life like 134 years ago? With all the changes, people, automobiles, factories, nuclear explosions, fires and wars... ONLY 1.1 degree Celsius difference from the coldest on that graph (1912) to 2014.

If that graph went back in time before 1880, and why doesn't it, how long before we see temperatures that are about the same as today, again? It's happened before, and before man was here, too. There was no polar ice of millions of years... and that was natural, not man made.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

There you go again....David, where do you get your water? The drought is real despite what you see or don't see.

http://xoap.weather.com/web/multimedia/images/blog/SIERRA021...

From local reservoirs and the Colorado River.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 01:01 PM
SOCAL WATER

that's A BAD JOKE...SD gets 50 percent of its water from the river and 30 percent from the delta.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 01:57 PM

nobodylikesyouanyway

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 02:21 PM

DTBushpilot has it right............. and furthermore, most of the so called climate scientists are funded by the state apparatchik that increases control over the little people by propagating such poppyc-ck.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 02:26 PM

Severe sudden 'climate change' has apparently happened before, and not that long ago:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150216160005.ht...

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 02:50 PM

There you go again....David, where do you get your water?

dk:
most water consumed by county comes from SDCWA. The largest share of SDCWA water comes from MWD. The SDCWA got, gets and will get it's water from:

:?::?::?::?::?::?:

:light::light::light::light::light::light:

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:03 PM
Donner Summit Today!

I just got back from Sugar Bowl on Donner Summit. The main runs off of the two main peaks are actually a little better than they were last year, but only because they were able to aggressively make snow before the few natural storms moved in. It is currently too warm to effectively make more snow (20 F or less)
At about this time last year, we were lucky enough to get a few more significant storms that extended the season, but that does not look like it is happening anytime soon. Even if the storms were to come in cold enough to dump snow, any slopes not facing north are bare and the snow will turn to run off sooner than if it fell on old snow.
Look at the Donner summit chart in this thread. Notice that it was only four years ago that we had double the average snowfall! There was more snow on the ground on Thanks giving of 2010 than we have now in February, and I was skiing on the 4th of July.
Things can change fast in the mountains, I have seen chain control on I-80 in
July before. The silver lining on the present drought is that the weather in the foothills is absolutely fantastic right now! I better go out and remove the top on my Kia and leave it off until I get wet. That worked in January, perhaps I put it back on too soon!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I just got back from Sugar Bowl on Donner Summit. The main runs off of the two main peaks are actually a little better than they were last year, but only because they were able to aggressively make snow before the few natural storms moved in. It is currently too warm to effectively make more snow (20 F or less)
At about this time last year, we were lucky enough to get a few more significant storms that extended the season, but that does not look like it is happening anytime soon. Even if the storms were to come in cold enough to dump snow, any slopes not facing north are bare and the snow will turn to run off sooner than if it fell on old snow.
Look at the Donner summit chart in this thread. Notice that it was only four years ago that we had double the average snowfall! There was more snow on the ground on Thanks giving of 2010 than we have now in February, and I was skiing on the 4th of July.
Things can change fast in the mountains, I have seen chain control on I-80 in
July before. The silver lining on the present drought is that the weather in the foothills is absolutely fantastic right now! I better go out and remove the top on my Kia and leave it off until I get wet. That worked in January, perhaps I put it back on too soon!

I think you might have the solution:

DK can install sprinklers up on Donner Summit and then turn on the spigot to make more snow up there. Don't need no damn scientists to work this stuff out.
Now we can all relax.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

dk:
most water consumed by county comes from SDCWA. The largest share of SDCWA water comes from MWD. The SDCWA got, gets and will get it's water from:

Those figures appear to be in direct conflict with figures I just looked up on the net?!?!?!?!?! Very strange!!!

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

dk:

Those figures appear to be in direct conflict with figures I just looked up on the net?!?!?!?!?! Very strange!!!

Barry

the figure i showed is from SDCWA website. follow the link.

p.s. most stuff on the internet is wrong (dk is a good example! :lol::lol::lol:)
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:51 PM

So Goat, your (SDCWA) 2014 figures state that San Diego water is from the Colorado River via the MWD/Coachella/Imperial Irrigation. Dist 76% (does not state how much of that comes from the Sacto Delta area?), and local sources are 24%.

I don't understand your point as these figures don't appear to me to really be in conflict with David's statement.

Barry
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 03:55 PM

So Goat, your (SDCWA) 2014 figures state that San Diego water is from the Colorado River via the MWD/Coachella/Imperial Irrigation. Dist 76% (does not state how much of that comes from the Sacto Delta area?), and local sources are 24%.

I don't understand your point as these figures don't appear to me to really be in conflict with David's statement.

Barry

MWD gets it's water from Northern California and then distributes it out after marking up the cost.

http://www.mwdh2o.com/

Here's an interesting map just for David: http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/news/2012-ConvMap.pdf

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 04:12 PM

Barry

MWD gets it's water from Northern California and then distributes it out after marking up the cost.

http://www.mwdh2o.com/

Here's an interesting map just for David: http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/news/2012-ConvMap.pdf

Well, sorta!!!

My understanding-----Most of MWD's water comes from the Colorado River, I believe. But yes, there is some from the State Water project (NorCal) also. I just don't know how much.

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.