BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  71    73    75  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:45 AM

Did you say the date of Gary's disappearance it was flooding and raining heavily so would he have avoided the surf camp altogether or just that road he was found off of? Was it raining heavily in San Quintin that day? What I am trying to get out would he have avoided the surf camp or the fish camp because of the weather and panned to go directly to BOLA?
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
I agree with Woody and Mexitron that main road to Faro San Jose will have several vehicles per day at all hours of the day and night. I’ve been camped out there both right on the main road (vehicle problems) and just off it, but hidden from view and had vehicles drive by in the dead middle of the night. We often pass at least one or two vehicles going the opposite direction when going to or from the coast in the few hours it take to make the trip. One could extrapolate that as many as 10 or or more vehicles pass on a daily basis. Ranchers, fisherman, surfers, and yes probably even drug runners.

In the early 80s it got way less traffic. I remember one time we came across a poor guy who had gotten 3 flats coming back from buying lots of tomatoes in San Quintin for his wife to can. He had been able to patch all the tires, but had no air pump. Boy was he glad to see us as he had been there for 3 days! Being the patron of the fish camp, we got lots of free longosta over the week.

However, in this day and age, if Gary had troubles he should have been able to get to the main road and within a couple hours someone would have come along.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:46 AM

I would be very surprised, given all of the mysterious and confusing circumstances so far, that there would be any photos stored in camera memory, if in fact there are even any memory storage cards still in the camera.
Inspection of the camera/cameras, will be another very good clue regarding the circumstances involved in his disappearance.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

Nice new avatar by the way.

What can I say? The years have not been kind...
You look like a guy lives down here in Mulege, Ron... ever'body has his twin, they say.

I want the hippydippy back. I know his twin, too, and he doesn't smoke... tobacco.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 09:55 AM

The main road to San Jose was 7 miles away from Gary and it does seem that he should have reached it and been picked up eventually.

But if he had driven from the Canoa direction he, I think, would not have known how far that road was. Nobody looks at their odometer when leaving an area and then computes how many miles are left to the next road.

In such a case Gary may, as Woody suggests, have tried to backtrac back to Canoa and that would have been undoable.

Others have stated that he had a heart condition. Perhaps that prevented him from reaching the San Jose road, although if he can surf, then he certainly can walk 7 miles. It's really a question of what condition he was in when he finally decided to strike out away from the vehicle.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

What I am trying to get out would he have avoided the surf camp or the fish camp because of the weather and panned to go directly to BOLA?

Janene,

Someone, I believe it was TW, pointed out that a trip to BOLA and back to the spot they found him would use more miles than what the odometer indicated were available. He implied that a trip to BOLA was impossible.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver

I would be very surprised, given all of the mysterious and confusing circumstances so far, that there would be any photos stored in camera memory, if in fact there are even any memory storage cards still in the camera.

If the memory card has been removed from the camera then foul play is almost certain. I suppose that's obvious.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:30 AM

my take. gary wasn't an avid surfer, probably not an avid fisherman, probably not an avid camper. Gary was an avid socializer. If he was like me he could have camped alone for about a day before he said screw this and hit the cantina for beers and conversation.
Gary was never at punta canoas, no way in the TWOrunner with those tires. we were there for a week(the week that gary went missing) in a 1st generation 4runner thats the most capable 4WD you can imagine, and IT was iffy. everyone seems to be an expert on the traffic patterns out there, well the week we were there I doubt we saw two cars.
someone brought up gary may have been out at punta baja, or maybe san carlos, very possible, anyone ask around or leave flyers?

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by willardguy]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:31 AM

I don't discount that Skipjack. I do however, want to discount the possibility that he headed to Canoas and that he was headed to BOLA if the weather was that bad. I still think he picked someone up because he liked company and this was the first time he was traveling solo. Was it at the fish camp or surf spot? Was it at the gas station/OXXO or whatever? Was it on the main highway?
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

What I am trying to get out would he have avoided the surf camp or the fish camp because of the weather and panned to go directly to BOLA?

Janene,

Someone, I believe it was TW, pointed out that a trip to BOLA and back to the spot they found him would use more miles than what the odometer indicated were available. He implied that a trip to BOLA was impossible.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Anyway, the only thing I might glean from your story is that the foot-dragging may, indeed, be from a desire to preventpeople from cancelling their Semana Santa plans in Mexico. As I've said before, there is deliberacy in this search delay; for what reason, I dont know. But that's how it feels to me.

Two days ago the State Secretary of Tourism asked the media not to publish negative news:

http://www.afntijuana.info/informacion_general/26697_pide_no...

Agregó que las noticias negativas “si salen tantas veces perjudican el trabajo de promoción turística” y que esto terminaría afectando a la ciudad; ejemplificó que de un incidente que se registra al reproducirlo diez veces en los medios, da la percepción al exterior de que fueron 10 incidentes y así en lo consiguiente.

Esta reproducción ‘viral’ hacia el extranjero, retomado por prensa extranjera estaría afectando en su opinión “más que el crimen organizado”, y costando más al Estado en materia de disposición de recursos para contrarrestar su efecto.

Translation
He added that negative news "if it comes out so many times, undermines the work of tourism promotion" and that this would end up affecting the city; exemplified by an incident that is published,  when you republish it ten times in the media, it gives the perception abroad that were 10 incidents and so on.

This 'viral' reproduction abroad, taken up by foreign media would affect in his opinion "more than organized crime" and would cost more to the State's available resources to counter its effect.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:33 AM

What if Gary went to Canoas after SQ and got in with the "wrong" crowd (see Ateo's video---that's the Canoas area) and had to flee suddenly....if he thought he was being chased it would explain why the truck was found in a remote spot---he was TRYING to hide. Maybe the rains came and he couldn't extricate himself.....?
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:42 AM

That video has my head spinning. These guys are completely nuts! If Gary saw something he shouldn't is one thing but then again we have to come back to the rancher and his observations in December. Many have questioned the rancher because of his age and the possibility of him just being confused. He was adamant and again, I believe him. This is key information and should not be discounted.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 10:44 AM

There are two camps this thread is divided into: one believes that the Rancher is telling the truth and knows the property like the back of his hand. The other group believes firmly that the Rancher either was so ignorant of the car being in the arroyo or he is lying. If you believe the Rancher is telling the truth then Gary was somewhere else for 5 months. But without contacting the family which is highly unlikely or being at the fish camp with no bank account activity whatsoever, which I find hard to believe after 5 months he was living on his cash in his pocket. After WillardGuy's recount, I doubt he went to the coast in those weather conditions. The people that believe the Rancher and the people that think he is either lying don't trust his judgment or awareness of the car being on his property will never reconcile.

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:01 AM

Why would the rancher lie? Since he reported it to the police he had nothing to gain.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:02 AM

So if Gary did get stuck after trying to hide out, then went for help and the bad guys found him out on the road, that my explain how the truck was still "intact"...the bad guys didn't vandalize it because they didn't know where it was. If the rancher was mistaken (NOT lying) about not seeing the truck then there is something of a continuity with the story. Another idea anyway.
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:03 AM

EnsenadaDr

And that is the thrust of my post that he never got out of San Quintin!

The camera will bare this out.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:05 AM

I never considered that, but you have a point there.
Quote:
Originally posted by Justbozo
EnsenadaDr

And that is the thrust of my post that he never got out of San Quintin!

The camera will bare this out.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Why would the rancher lie? Since he reported it to the police he had nothing to gain.

I doubt he raced to the phone after he, or his people, came across the car. People here, especially those with a bunch to lose, think long and hard before they ally themselves with the police. They know how that could turn around on them as well as the high cost it could have for dealing with an agency known for extortion. Aside from personal relationships, the Mexican people don't generally think of the police as friends.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 11:50 AM
YES, DENNIS

What you said.

GJ

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 12:06 PM

Now this isn't CSI or New York Dennis. I loved Ron's description of the Catavina police. A sort of Mexican Andy Griffith in Baja instead of Mayberry. He is judge, investigator, police officer all rolled into one. No manpower, no phone even. I doubt the rancher is afraid of him. Being in such a small and sparsely populated area, he probably is even the best of friends with him going way back.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 12:07 PM

To BajaGringo and Ateo and others who somehow believe that Gary might have been hanging out, surfing or whatever (for several months) I believe you are on the wrong track. First Gary was not a loner but most importantly as Ensenada Dr pointed out it would have been totally out of character and just plain rude to go months without communicating with family. The family reported him missing within days of him checking out of Jardines which certainly indicates that in the past he kept in contact. Also if I remember correctly there was an important wedding that he missed. Some travelers take more money to Mexico than they should but how many would take 6 months worth- especially someone like Gary who was accustomed to using ATM's in Mexico. It is my understanding that Gary's source of income was his social security checks. Why would there be no withdrawals of 6 months of social security checks.
 Pages:  1  ..  71    73    75  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.