BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  77    79    81  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 04:49 PM

Weren't the fish camps searched? I see no reason why the searchers shouldn't go back but considering the weather at that time Gary disappeared and someone mentioning they questioned the fish camps already, what was the consensus in that area?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 06:20 PM
The Location Facts... as reported

I have been informed that there is a dispute about the location the rancher found the 4Runner... Which is fine, because we all want to help. Exchanging ideas in a mystery can only help, but we need to work with facts, if we have them.

Lizard Lips posted the directions he was told.

We know the distance measured is on the Faro San Jose graded road, which leaves Hwy. 1 about 7-8 miles north of Cataviņa.

Posted: About 38 kms. down this road take the right fork.

At about 33-35 km. is a road right. The 33 km. right turn road goes 5 km. to a ranch and ends at an airstrip 1 km. past the ranch. Clearly not close to 10 km.

The Canoas Fork is at 40-42 km.

Posted: The next distance we are told is about 10 km. on the right fork to a left turn road.

At 8 km. is a left turn road (and nothing beyond at 10-12 km.)

Posted: The next distance we are told is about 2 km.

There is a small arroyo crossing just under 2 km.

Posted: Then the 4Runner was found 400 meters up this arroyo, to the right.

If we stick to Lizard Lip's posted locations then there is less guessing. Obviously, only the rancher knows where the truck really was... and why he removed it before going to the police in Cataviņa.

The only mystery I have to the LL's directions is that I don't see a ranch on Google Earth. But, it may be newer than the date of the image or I just don't see it?

I hope this is taken to HELP the Patton Family find the answers they seek and the good folks searching are looking in the right area.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2014 at 11:44 PM

Our clock chimed to let us know it is April 14th. We have never met Gary but feel we know him. Here's our toast-" Happy Birthday, Gary, our thoughts and prayers to you and your family." Ron and Patty
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 06:56 AM

Therein lies the rub---if the truck was really found 400 meters (a quarter mile or so) up an arroyo, then Gary or whoever was driving his truck wanted it to be hidden. Just doesn't sound right that Gary would be going off road that far in a 2WD for no reason.
Thanks for the mileage update David.
When you all go to investigate there should still be tracks etched in the mud if this happened during/after a rainstorm, which might hepl with pinpointing the timing.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 10:50 AM

Why the heck did that rancher decide to move that vehicle on his own? That sounds very unlike something a remote rancher would do. It involves expense and risk to his tow vehicle and the liability of being accused of theft. Unless it was completely blocking a very important road, that seems very unusual.

And this is the same person who says the vehicle had only been there a week? :?:

This might be the most puzzling aspect of the discovery of the vehicle.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 10:53 AM

Depends of the SUV was on his property or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Why the heck did that rancher decide to move that vehicle on his own? That sounds very unlike something a remote rancher would do. It involves expense and risk to his tow vehicle and the liability of being accused of theft. Unless it was completely blocking a very important road, that seems very unusual.

And this is the same person who says the vehicle had only been there a week? :?:

This might be the most puzzling aspect of the discovery of the vehicle.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 10:59 AM

I'm with Mexitron. Traveling alone with a two wheel drive- why get on the arroyo?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 11:54 AM

something stinks, still.... like I said, there is no good reason for Gary to be that far off the road.

looks more to me like the vehicle was ditched, by who knows who for who knows the reason? I bet when they figure out the direction the car was traveling and backtrack, that will be where Gary met his demise.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

It's Free Range Rural. One would play hell establishing a property line.

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
something stinks, still.... like I said, there is no good reason for Gary to be that far off the road.

looks more to me like the vehicle was ditched, by who knows who for who knows the reason? I bet when they figure out the direction the car was traveling and backtrack, that will be where Gary met his demise.

Dittos

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

In outback Baja to an inexperienced explorer all the dirt tracks may look quite passable... until they're not. I've taken my little 2-wheel drive Toyota pickup down, through or back out of some pretty sketchy places; solid ground can turn into pure sand in an instant out there.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:46 PM

It's gonna be 100 degrees easily in that heat during the day I suggest the search start at sunrise and quit by 11 or at the latest noon or there will be some serious health issues with older people being out there. I think everyone should be based in a hotel with A/C and return there to rest in the afternoon.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

It's Free Range Rural. One would play hell establishing a property line.

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by DENNIS]

Tell that to the Rancher!!:lol::lol::lol:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's gonna be 100 degrees easily in that heat during the day I suggest the search start at sunrise and quit by 11 or at the latest noon or there will be some serious health issues with older people being out there. I think everyone should be based in a hotel with A/C and return there to rest in the afternoon.
Good advice for the ground grid-search.

Interviews of ranchers and fishermen might be more effectively attempted in the late afternoon/early evening when they are not off-site and working but retired for the day.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 01:53 PM

I thought I could restrain myself, but I have lost!

"It's gonna be 100 degrees easily in that heat during the day I suggest the search start at sunrise and quit by 11 or at the latest noon or there will be some serious health issues with older people being out there. I think everyone should be based in a hotel with A/C and return there to rest in the afternoon. "

I would like to add to wear a hat and drink lots of water. If on foot, wear suitable footwear with socks.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:00 PM

Yes definitely there should be several coolers filled with ice and cold water and drinks, if there are some diabetics going out there then we need to have snacks as well and some juices. Wearing a hat is very important. thanks for the contribution. Many older adults have high blood pressure and cardiac problems and this heat can kill so the return to a cool environment in the heat of the day is an absolute must.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:09 PM

The search party volunteers should be able-bodied folks. Good intentions will be won over by poor health in such situations.

The last thing the family needs is another crisis on their minds while looking for Gary....so the older folks with diabetes, heart conditions, no shoes, no hats, no water, and no hotel room reservations might stand back a bit....maybe manage a relief center w/ water and snacks at search trailhead. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:09 PM

Hotel La Mision in Catavina seems like a good choice, has A/C. I would suggest buddying up with friends as the price is not cheap. In any case no one should be camping out and without A/C.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Many older adults have high blood pressure and cardiac problems and this heat can kill so the return to a cool environment in the heat of the day is an absolute must.

Yeah...an AC bar and a pitcher of frozen Margaritas will be a life saver.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:46 PM

Don't you know alcohol dehydrates DENNIS? No one should ever be drinking and doing work out in the hot sun. Could cause an emboli to go the heart or the brain and cause a heart attack or a stroke.
 Pages:  1  ..  77    79    81  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.