Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 07:55 PM

Maybe if Tesla was unionized across all their manufacturing plants?
Seems a shame as Northern Mexico already invested megabucks in manufacturing infrastructure, and the Solar systems being installed were huge too. I understand BYD the Chinese firm is also talking to Mexico about manufacturing there, so they may take advantage of the existing infrastructure

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 07:58 PM

EVs and PHEV’s approved for sale in the US must meet water resistance tests for the High Voltage AC and DC portions of the system. KIA HV components are sealed air tight so water tight as well. This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may very!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
EVs and PHEV’s approved for sale in the US must meet water resistance tests for the High Voltage AC and DC portions of the system. KIA HV components are sealed air tight so water tight as well. This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may very!

Doubt the low voltage systems are waterproof…
Your high voltage systems will be worthless w/o tthe low voltage systems, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Doubt the low voltage systems are waterproof…
Your high voltage systems will be worthless w/o tthe low voltage systems, eh?

You obviously know more about this than I or the experts do. I suggest you take up your premise with them.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 08:21 PM

goat,

Which part of “ This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is Toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may vary! did you miss?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 09:32 PM

This might help get more EV chargers out there:
https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162372/airbnb-chargepoi...
An airbnb host with a charger installed could enable guests to charge on Level 2 overnight...about 7-8 hours for an almost completely depleted battery. If guests stayed several days, they could go for drives for 16 hours, plug in and recharge overnight for the next days adventures. Now Chargepoint is offering huge rebates for anyone who does so through airbnb. Hybrids of course would use even less power, but the cost of gas saved each day would significantly reduce the net cost to stay at the airbnb. The total cost of the airbnb we stayed at in Guerrero Negro would have been about the cost of gas to half fill my vehicle. The airbnb would have been essentially free with the right plug in

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 09:54 PM

As an example....several airbnb's in La Paz offer the rental of a vehicle on the side for a cost much lower than the rental firms. Why not offer a plug-in hybrid with free charging overnight under the same agreement? A bit more investment up front might yield high returns and much more frequent visitors. So far, Hotel One La Paz seems to do very well just supplying their three chargers.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 10:23 PM

JD,

We stay at the One Hotel in La Paz they have 2 Tesla and one regular Level 2 Chargers. They’re free and you can charge overnight.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 10:35 PM

Yes, I noticed they had 2 Teslas and the one level2. Most times we stayed there they were unused, but along with everything else its one more reason to stay. I assume you charge overnite and drive around la paz doing your shopping and then get 1/2 way home on electric?

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-14-2024 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
As an example....several airbnb's in La Paz offer the rental of a vehicle on the side for a cost much lower than the rental firms. Why not offer a plug-in hybrid with free charging overnight under the same agreement? A bit more investment up front might yield high returns and much more frequent visitors.

I'm not sure why guests would think an Airbnb host should offer free charging. Hosts have to cover their costs, either by figuring services, utilities and amenities into their nightly rate or by charging an additional fee.

Nothing is really free- how it is perceived by the consumer has to do with how it is marketed. For instance, I've seen guest posts saying, "Hotels don't charge a cleaning fee, why do so many Airbnbs? "

Well, of course hotels charge a cleaning fee, the hotel owner doesn't pay the cleaning staff out of his pocket. You just don't see it as a separate fee- it's part of the expenses figured in to come up with a room price, just like the "free" coffee, and the "free" soap and shampoo.

You will also see some Airbnbs that advertise "No service fees". But that doesn't mean the guest isn't covering service fees. There are 2 Airbnb service fee options available to hosts- one where the host is charged 3% and the guest around 15%, or the other, where the host's payout has all those fees deducted from it. But in that case, those additional service fees the host is charged are going to be added to the nightly room rate.
The guest just doesn't see "service fee" as an additional charge, but they are still paying it.

Most guests seem to only care about the total price, and may not care about seeing any breakdown. But just because you don't see something listed as a separate fee, doesn't mean it isn't factored in to the total price. "Free" is just marketing spin.

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by surabi]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 02:49 AM

I've never stayed at an airbnb or a hotel that charged extra for AC in very hot climates or a bathroom with basic necessities like soap and toilet paper, but I won't stay at one where they aren't included. Of course they would be an extra expense to the owner, but i assume they get far more rentals if provided at a given price than one that doesn't.
If I was traveling with an EV or PHEV, any hotel or airbnb would similarly get my business if they advertised it as Hotel One does. Why would I stay anyplace else and add to the inconvenience of my trip, even if it cost me 15 more per night (which is quite a bit more than the cost of power to obtain a full EV charge)? My Leaf costs under 8 dollars for a full recharge from 10-100 percent in power and would provide up to 220 miles with a 62kwh battery. A standard PHEV would cost in power about 1.50 to precharge, not a huge additional expense, but a big convenience and save them in gas costs about 8.00
I have found it odd that hotels like One La Paz charge less than many bed and breakfasts and include the air conditioning, coffee, water, soap, shampoo, pool, clean rooms and the breakfast that the bed and "breakfasts" don't, and also now include free EV charging. One can only guess they make their profits in much higher occupancy rates

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
JD,

We stay at the One Hotel in La Paz they have 2 Tesla and one regular Level 2 Chargers. They’re free and you can charge overnight.

RFClark: If we are travelling together we stay at either One La Paz or if its full, at Zar. If I travel alone, I have found a basic clean, air conditioned and recently updated one, one block from the Malecon on Bravo for 42 per nite which includes the Booking.com fee and all taxes that is seldom full and all the desk staff speak good English. Most of the other hotels have significantly boosted their prices lately without providing anything in extra services like One La Paz has. Both have good access to Pharmacies, restaurants and two Mercados within easy walking distance. My favourite restaurants fairly close by are Los Magueyes on Ignacio Allende or a tiny one near the Malecon called Casanova behind Enterprise rentals

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 06:44 AM

If a hotel provides free fuel for EVs, then they should provide free fuel for ICE vehicles.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 06:59 AM

If a hotel provides free fuel for EVs, then they should provide free fuel for ICE vehicles.

Theres a big difference between 1.50 to 8 bucks and 90 bucks, especially when it would make no difference to occupancy rates. The hotels that got on this early were able to raise their prices to cover the very minimal extra costs easily and at the same time boost occupancy levels. There are 3 chargers for 150 rooms(.15 per room at full chargers' use) and it is now fairly often full if you go in tourist season.
What most service vendors fail to realize is meeting one client's needs will bring 5-10 others with them.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:04 AM

Hotels already have connections to the electric grid, and it is their decision whether to let customers tap into it as an incentive to stay there.

Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea to install self-serve gas or diesel pumps for their customers to use?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:11 AM

There are very few 100% BEVs traveling in Baja right now because of limited charging opportunities requiring an overnight stay out of necessity. The EVs that are traveling in Baja right now are primarily Hybrid PHEVs (plug ins) that do not necessarily need an overnight stay. Hotel/Air BnBs provide charging opportunities as a marketing tool to provide higher occupancies. As @Surabi says above, nothing is ever "free", the potential for higher electrical use by EVs of any type, while charging, is figured into their rates.

If that is truly the way you feel about it, I suggest you never stay in accommodations that provide "free" charging for EVs and continue to drive your ICE vehicle while still lamenting climate change. You will be paying theoretically more for a night's stay at one of those facilities because you don't drive an EV and use the "free" charger.

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Everyone has a choice.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:13 AM

I would think the RV campground Maranatha already has available 240v 50 amp plugins which are equivalent to level 2 chargers already. How do they handle someone plugging in an EV as opposed to the AC units for an RV??

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:22 AM

I was just looking at the Tesla internet site last night, out of curiosity. Their least expensive model right now is the Model 3. I can order it with as much as 341 miles range. I figure if I wait for another couple of years, the range will be well over 400 miles with the new battery technology that is being introduced and prices will continue to fall. So, I am happy with my current BEV (paid for) which still works great but with a lower range capability which is not an issue almost anywhere in the US (it is an issue in Baja).
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:25 AM

The newest First Nations gas stations up here are installing EV DC fast charging stations at up to 150kw and fast food outlets at the same locations. They charge twice(or more in my max 50kW charge rate) the going rate for power (significantly better profits than the 5% they make on gas sales) and you can boost even a very large F-150 Lightning EV by 50% within 1/2 hour, about the time to take a long break for a travel meal.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
I was just looking at the Tesla internet site last night, out of curiosity. Their least expensive model right now is the Model 3. I can order it with as much as 341 miles range. I figure if I wait for another couple of years, the range will be well over 400 miles with the new battery technology that is being introduced and prices will continue to fall. So, I am happy with my current BEV (paid for) which still works great but with a lower range capability which is not an issue almost anywhere in the US (it is an issue in Baja).

I estimate my biggest issue will be very rapid depreciation as newer technologies make the newest models far more practical. I am okay with this, as my average ownership time has always been 10 years and my Leaf will satisfy my needs for that long. I am not a 3yr and trade it in type to keep up with the latest tech. Right now, we can charge on 120v 12 amps once per week or less and the energy cost is .04 cents per mile. (.12 per kwh which gives us 3.5 miles). Even if we do take longer trips and charge at double to quadruple rates at fast DC chargers we are still way way below gasoline costs.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.