Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14
Author: Subject: 4TH ANNUAL PREZ DAY WEEKEND NOMAD RIDE
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 08:43 AM
Senor Kier

Chuck and I only hiked about 1/4 mile upriver. Are there falls further upstream? Pools?. There was nobody at the entrance but the huge steel water tank was full.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 08:50 AM

Seņor Nickel,

Jide and I hiked about 1/2-1 mile up El Cajon to a low dam that goes across the arroyo that creates a shallow lake... I only posted the photo of the creek and water tank (full) on that 404 web page. The petros are too faint to show well... and no, we didn't hike all the way to the water falls... but Burro Bob said there were falls... He has photos he showed us when we went to his rancho after the hike... that's when we met him. If I find the original photos, I will scan and post anything that will show more of Cajon, for you guys.

It is pouring in San Diego area today, so I am indoors (with Baja on the brain!)...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:00 AM
Thanks David

I knew that you would know how to do the squiggly over the n. Do you think that a 2 hour stop would be adequate to explore the watercourse or should we allow more time?
I know that you have to be back Monday, but any chance you two could make a week end of it? Your BSM B&b awaits.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:15 AM

Thanks Rob for the invite... I would love to be there, as you know... The issue is that I am out of work with this rain and economy, so can't justify the cost of having fun... and driving down early Saturday and drive back late Sunday isn't something I want to do real bad.... Now, if I had an FM-3 work visa... and some homes in the San Felipe area could benefit from automatic drip systems for their trees...???;D:yes:

BajaSol is a cool amigo... been here a couple times, has seen the El Camote Matomi Movie... and wants to go.

Seems weird Matomi #4 isn't even going to Matomi, doesn't it? It is a beautiful canyon and could be utilized at the start or end of the run... but, without it, you will have more time in the others... If you can't get into Agua Caliente... then Berrendo is well worth the mile walk to the grotto. So many blue palms in there!

2 hours is enough time for El Cajon, IMO.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:18 AM

Oh, to make an ņ: hold down the 'Alt' key with one finger, and press 1,6,4 on the right key pad. 165 will give you Ņ

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 09:27 AM
David

You're right, While Chuck and I were in Valle Chico we discussed the need for a new name for this event. We have been to Matomi many times but have no desire to go there every year. As you know, there are so many canyons to explore from the West Valley road and we will probably not live long enough to see them all. We will try.

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by BajaRob]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 10:04 AM

Well... 'PREZ DAY WEEKEND '09' may work... We initially called the first one 'PREZ DAY WEEKEND '01': Saturday was a tour of the sufur mine and Shell island. Sunday was the big Matomi canyon trip.

The second gathering of the 'Matomi Gang' was in 2004, on President's Day wekend: Saturday trip to Shell Island and Sunday trip to Matomi via Caņada el Parral pass (Azufre Wash/ Crazy Horse Canyon).

The important thing is to have fun!

PREZ DAY '01: http://vivabaja.com/shell

PREZ DAY '04: http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by David K]

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 10:19 AM

That might work as it would eliminate the countless questions about the date and would leave the destination (s) open.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 12:57 PM

i FIX the name guys, and as David and gadget (will), this rain is getting into my finances, the drive on saturday and come back suday is an idea that my wife doesn't share with me, plus not getting Prez day off is another reason.So as today we are not going unless a miracle happends, so have fun guys and take alot pix, Im going to have to hire Chuck latter on for a private touring..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 02:10 PM

umm... is this rain or shine?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenda...
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 02:15 PM

Thats a good question Cyanide41, weet weather could make the ride fun but also can make it miserable. Good observation on your part, thanks.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
umm... is this rain or shine?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenda...

Wow, rain in SF on both days of the run (if they are right)!

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 03:26 PM

it will probably change as we get closer. 10 day forcasts are often wrong
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2009 at 05:03 PM

I hope so for the gang that's going!

Four wheeling with other Nomads is fun!

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 07:58 AM
Weather Underground

is now forcasting that Saturday will be clear and that Sunday will be partly cloudy. There is a 20% chance of rain on Sunday night. This message has been approved by the San Felipe Chamber of Commerce.:yes:
DEVEAU
Nomad

Mood: "WFO"

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 08:50 AM

Hi all, have not posted in a while. FYI, I am we are brining about 22 Dirt Bikers from the North Bay Motorcyle Club in Santa Rosa to San Felipe this weekend. Just a short trip to let some of the rookies taste Baja.

Friday, Tecate to Mikes's, Saturday Mike's to S.F., Sunday is a layday. Some of us are thinking of doing a Matomi loop. Monday back to Tecate. We are staying at El Cap, say hi if you see us!

Chase Trucks? ??
We don\'t need no stinking chase trucks!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 09:37 AM

Hey gang,

got home last night.

Yes, this is a rain or shine event. This photo is me driving home yesterday West through Boulevard on I-8 and I had gotten rain heading south on this past Friday but it only lasted until Jucumba. I've had many snowy and rainy trips through the mountains but the weather has never dissapointed me in San Felipe, as it did not this past weekend.

BajaRob and I had an excellant adventure, as he wrote about in an earler post. We have devised a perfect day trip with beautiful scenery through the Huatamote and Chanate washes leading to Quartz Mountain (it looks like the Matterhorn at DisneyLand) and is about the same size. Great for a little climb before we enter the dry lake bed of Picacho del Diablo.

From there the trails become roads and very comfortable for the rest of the trip. From Quartz Mountain the views of the moutains are phenominal and seem close enough to touch. We checked out a few differant canyons but both agreed the availability of Canyon El Cajon is the best choice for the group.

The exit of the area is through Valle El Cajon and leads directly via a well graded road all the way to El Dorado property and meets Highway 5 one mile below the "Rockodile" sign which is about 10 north of San Felipe.

We checked in at "El General" tacos (sit down dining) and they are open at 3 p.m. and will be ready for us.

We (my wife Chris and her son Geoff) will be arriving at our Beach House at 5 p.m. on Friday and have actually two very fully fuctional homes on the same property with several rooms available if anyone needs a room. We have plenty of room available for your vehicle. FULL HOUSE PRIVLEDGES will be extended as some of you may remember from last year. If your coming in earlier than us on Friday then you may check in with BajaRob who is only 40 houses to the north of me on the same beach.

We are having a Potluck of sorts on Saturday night at our casa and we have 3 cart BBQ's and two full kitchens.

Guys, just bring something to grill, we can handle side dishes, I know how it is, we suck at bringing side dishes! LOL!

Join the fun, all are welcome, this will be a great trip and you'll enjoy the group as a whole.

Chuck

If you have any questions or concerns email me directly at: ccherry@san.rr.com

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by BajaWarrior]

cominghome.JPG - 13kB

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Jose, Lou, Suzanne, John M, Comadante, Surfer Jim, XRPlang, El Comote, Motosoto, Bajasol, Cyanide41, Neal, Melanie. We need an approximate body count.
I'm IN! I will be arriving sometime on Sat. Would appreciate the coordinates of the house(s) if that's possible.
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 10:51 AM

BW, thanks for taking the lead, organizing and hosting this event. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Do you have approx. departure times for Sat. and Sunday? And chow time for Sat.?

Not sure if we'll make the ride on Sat. but would like to make it to the grubfest ! :bounce:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
BW, thanks for taking the lead, organizing and hosting this event. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Do you have approx. departure times for Sat. and Sunday? And chow time for Sat.?

Not sure if we'll make the ride on Sat. but would like to make it to the grubfest ! :bounce:

Dinner on Saturday night will be right at dark, 6 p.m.ish I'd say so come before then and you'll be on time. The Sunday ride will start at 7 or 7:30 a.m. at the latest. Trip will end in town/my house by dark.

My house is 25 miles south of town, 6 miles south of Percebu. Pictured here is the turnoff on the highway. Not too many signs in our area, in fact we are the first camp south of Percebu which has a large (bill board sized) sign. Again, 6 miles south (30km marker on highway) of Percebu.

Take the turnoff to Santa Maria, IMPORTANT!! Drive to the water, (1 mile) and bear left at white picket fence, my house is the 4th house on right, two story with deck on road, green, red, trim, Casa #24, address on road. Pull in between garages and your there. Also, VHF ch. 69.

I'll dig up a pic of the back of the house from road.

I'm going to make up some plywood NOMAD signs for the highway, picket fence, and back of my house.

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by BajaWarrior]

r.SignOnHighway.JPG - 40kB

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.