Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  93
Author: Subject: Turtle bust
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 09:51 AM

I'm sorry... but have already popped the corn awaiting the next installment... a drama if I've ever seen one... if you're a writer... you just can't make this stuff up...

Hopefully it will all be sorted out and the "guilty" parties will be brought to justice... (is there any justice anymore???)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ramuma53
I also found out that killing a turtle has a heavier penalty than killing a human; if you kill a human and show at least some self preservation you will stay only 2 to 4 years in jail while a killing a turtle carry a 12 years jail sentence, more fore who cook it, sell it and or transport it.

This is total nonsense.

For years the laws were ignored. I was on a San Felipe partyboat when our guide pulled in a turtle that roamed the mothership for a week while everyone fished. Then there was the time a local from Loreto hauled one in at the Escondido docks while everyone watched.

Now these people are being made an example of with 12 years in jail?

Is there common sense and balance in Mexico. They're just whipsawing from one extreme to another.

I really don't like anyone being made an example of anything. Why should there be a chosen one?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 10:02 AM

You still have not explained Rafael - I mean ramuma, how we are supposed to believe that Rafael Muñoz lets everybody use his business email address of director@munoz-industries.com to send out email, register on internet forums, etc. I don't know any businessman who would even think of doing that as he puts his business credibility at risk. If there is internet access anybody can register online for a free hotmail/yahoo/gmail account. There is no need to use the company email address and for him - I mean you to try to convince us of such a ridiculous thing is actually hilarious.

Even if that were true (I seriously doubt it) that you - I mean he let folks use his business email address for such things down at the hotel, the fact remains that you registered on the forum from Tijuana. Your IP address was logged and clearly shows it. So now you are going to tell me that you - I mean Rafael Muñoz lets people use his business email address from his offices in Tijuana too???

I am going to micro some popcorn myself on this one...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by BajaGringo]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 10:10 AM

It strikes me that when you have a weak and ineffective law enforcement system you target individuals and come down hard on them hoping to intimidate the remainder of the citizens to do the right thing.

That's sad. :(:(

P.S. I consider myself an environmentalist and have always supported laws protecting turtles. And I have never met any of the people involved in this matter. Just an objective bystander.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by Skipjack Joe]
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 10:44 AM

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
¿Is this thread great or what?

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 10:46 AM

Skipjack has a very valid point here...and it is a huge issue and problem because it is such a widespread cultural norm to eat turtle stew at family gatherings and holidays much like our turkey tradition.

Now dont get me wrong...I am all for protecting endangered species...I just wish that there was some kind of transitional allowances...for example...perhaps on easter weeks when most mexicanos dont eat meat...well perhaps through a valid vendor, families could purchase one for their gathering...or perhaps turtle farming could be established...it does seem drastic such a prison sentance for the folks who just eat it....say at a family gathering. It is very very common and I'm sure none of you would like to see your favorite senora next door who as always treated you well and looked after your kids and casa etc...go to jail.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 10:57 AM

If he were still alive I would say Anthony Quinn could be one of the "bad guys" in the movie. (If there really is a bad guy here)

Who would play Mike and Olivia?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 11:26 AM

I vote for Sigourny Weaver and Bruce Willis....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 11:31 AM

Better yet, Eva Mendez and Bruce Willis...dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

puzzled.gif posted on 4-18-2009 at 11:34 AM
Photos

I love it......

Elinvest has his pic up....waiting for the others.

Here are two of the key players....shared identities????

Don't believe everything you think....
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 11:51 AM

I agree with Shari,, it is a tradition in MX and other parts of the world,, they really should make some allowance for that,, and 12 years,, I dont think that is fair,,

it was about 30 years ago that I was served Turtle steaks in BLOA in a restruant,, it was really great,, it was my first time,
then again in LP,, had Turtle soup,, not as good,,
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 11:53 AM

Told ya this whole thing stinks.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It strikes me that when you have a weak and ineffective law enforcement system you target individuals and come down hard on them hoping to intimidate the remainder of the citizens to do the right thing.

That's sad. :(:(

Sorry,

It may be sad, but, is SOP in Draconian Systems,

Such as Napoleonic Justice , which is the rule of the land in Mexico .....

it is indeed strange that they fought the French but embraced their system of justice :lol::lol:

CaboRon

My appologies for being in the box :lol:

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:04 PM

All this Authoritive speaking & I still got no real answer to my question!!
Is it illegal to have an empty turtle shell in your posession? I do not have one myself but I do know someone who recently found one supposedly at BOLA.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:07 PM

Not sure meme but if it is I know a lot of people who are in trouble!!!!

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
Is it illegal to have an empty turtle shell in your posession? I do not have one myself but I do know someone who recently found one supposedly at BOLA.

Yes it is.

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:08 PM

Quote:

It is illegal ..... don't try to take it into the US ....

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:12 PM

Thank You All! I will pass the word about taking it to U.S. I personally think it might be a risk just keeping it in posession here in Mexico but you all know how some people think? OR do not think??
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:38 PM
Pescada

After talking to several locals here I think the blue bowel had pescada in it as it sure smells that way.(fishy) And the profeba and marinas came for a free lunch. They know of no other restrauantes checked during Semana Santa
:rolleyes::wow::rolleyes::wow::rolleyes:

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-18-2009 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:

Yes it is.

That surprises me.
For years there were turtle shells galore on the beaches here around Loreto. On the far end of Ensenada Blanca there was an isolated beach where the locals likely cleaned their catch and just disgarded the shells. Folks from Tripui knew of this and many brought them home to Tripui, cleaned them up and had them adorn their Palapa walls. Also the beaches between Nopolo and Loreto were a good hunting ground for them. Found quite a few, cleaned them, polished them and used them for presents. Still have a few hanging on the walls in my home here in Nopolo.
Never had an idea I was violating any laws here. Was familiar with the fact that you couldn't bring them into the US. However, many Tripui folks carted them with them on their track north. Never heard of anyone getting called on this at the line and sure never heard of anyone doing time for this (true :?::?:) offense.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  93

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.