BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  21
Author: Subject: UPDATE -***FULL CIRCLE - CHIEF RESIDENT OPERATES ON UNCLE ALEX - The Little Girl Who Woluld Become a Brain Surgeon (Chapter 4...
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 04:52 PM
Thank you WN, RK, MA, BB we jumped to 2,050 pretty quick - I hope we can send in the tuition in a few more days....

Here is the email I sent to previous patrons and I hope you cut and paste this off to people who might be interested in a very good cause. Peace.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46795

The bad news is that Emilia hasn't had time to save the President, cure cancer, or do a brain-transplant - YET. She has been extremely diligent in her quest to excel at medical school and that takes 16 hours a day. Emilia is lucky to get in enough sleep to keep taking tests and reading until blindness sets in.

The good news is Emilia has excelled in the big city and against students from all over Mexico. Emilia is third in her class and has a chance for a scholarship that begins next semester. The Rotary is taking part in her expenses, but they take care of many students with much less ambitious and expensive schools, so can only cover a part of her schooling.

Please forward the link above to anybody who would like to be a part of the dream for Mulege's future brain surgeon.

The thread above will refresh your memory on the subject of the budding neural surgeon from the tiny pueblo of Mulege. Many of you were kind enough to request that you be counted on for your continued support of her education. The paypal link to egvbuckovecs@gmail.com was very effective and saved a lot of bank transfer fees, so paypal is the preferred method of donating but I will again take pledges from people I know and collect later.

On Emilia's behalf, thank you for your continuing support.

A note from Emila (sitting next to me looking thin, pale, and tired still - Vacation is a few more days and she will be ready to become first in her class)

"Hi, thank you very much for your support, I will keep you up dated in my progress, and work harder everyday. Please know that I keep you in my prayers everyday because your help is the answer to my prayers.
Thank you again." - Emy.

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by akmaxx]
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2011 at 10:39 PM
Gracias DT y DS.....making a strong case for sainthood

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:10 AM

let's keep this thing going, amigos...this is one extremely bright young woman that will make a difference in the world!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 10:40 AM
Building the Momentum...Emy is going to be a the Art Show on Burro this Sunday if you would like to meet her in person.

She is heading back to school early to get a jump on the other students. Her vacation is being cut short so she can get more time in at school (which is a concept most 18 year old students couldn't grasp on their best days). I know some of you know that Emilia is asking for a lot less than she really wants, or needs, to stay in school.

Help keep the momentum going and bump this post until we have hit the goal.

Peace.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 12:07 PM

How are we doing on the numbers ??????

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 1-14-2011 at 01:11 PM

While in Mulege on Scholarship business this week, I spent a short time with Emi discussing school and learning about her progress. Most of her classmates are sons & daughters of doctors, lawyers, engineers & other well paid professionals. As such they have grown up in a professional household with professional mentors & exemplars. One student's (recent) ancestor has his name on a plaque at the school, so he is a "legacy" who's family status comes w/deference from instructors.

And then there is adorable Emi, from a teeny town, far from large populations, where profesionistas are few, and even those professionals of Mulege are not known for keeping a schedule, maintaining regular hours, etc. In other words, where are the mentors for Mulege kids? Yet Emi has adjusted, instantaneously, to keeping her reading schedule, class schedule, study schedule, has organized a study group (this is not usual for the med school in Guadalahara) to include the best students & to drill each other to higher levels of proficiency, and is currently 3rd in her class. How'd that happen? I have no idea, but it is what it is, and its great!

Thanks to Maxx for making this happen. And thanks to Emi for your hard work & focus, I'm sure you will make us all proud(er).

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 08:55 AM
Gracias Muchisimas por WS y AS..............2,430 and counting

Por causualidad (by the way) everything Engineer Mike said is true........Emy has been holding the hands of overprivileged kids in school, kids you wouldn't want to be your doctor, and surprisingly not terribly frustrated about the dichotomy between the benefits of being wealthy and connected compared to her entry into school based on grades and real hard work.

She doesn't care about the circumstances that got all her classmates into the Harvard of Mexico, she just wants to kick their asses when it comes to exam time. I love the idea that we are funding her so she can concentrate on school and being the best she can be, without the connections and money that the other kids are coasting by on.

Keep it coming if you can and please forward this thread to anybody who might like the story.

Peace.
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 04:53 PM
2,680....Thank you DT, LL, MS, M and C A, BN, and DB

Thanks go out to all the contributors who are making this happen. The goal is 4K and we are more than halfway there. The timeline is before the 25th of Jan so I think more people are just getting time to read their emails and kick in. Thanks in advance for your donations.

Several people have donated cash directly to me and I have included that in the running total and handed it straight over to Emi. I think she is a little embarrassed to be accepting money from so many different people, however she has a very big smile when she sees the tuition getting covered. Emilia will to realize that our contributions are small compared to the good she will be able to accomplish.

Peace,
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 12:54 PM
Mulege Rotarians

MAXX,
I just sent contributions from two more members. This should bring us close to the goal that I set for the club but I'm working on more participation.
How'd she do at the art show?
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 01:38 PM
Gracias Randy.... The idea is no less compelling this time around

The only reason I can see why more donors aren't coming out of the bushes is that after one semester she isn't an interesting story. But I couldn't disagree more because our ugly duckling is becoming a swan before our eyes......She could have crashed and burned with all the competition from around the country but, instead, Emilia has gotten stellar grades, communicated with her supporters in an exemplary manner, and has reconfirmed her commitment to a long and difficult career.

Other starlets have solicited money and decided to do other things with their lives almost immediately. In contrast Emilia has doubled down and studies so hard that I am sure she will become a great success.

Only seven more days to raise the money she needs to continue the dream.

You have the power to change the future, show encouragement, and show a Mulegena the faith vested in the power of karma.

Peace,

P.S. She didn't make the art-show because she was nursing the grippe and packing for travel back to school. What student is excited to get back to studying? EMILIA!

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by akmaxx]

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by akmaxx]
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2011 at 07:17 PM

Max can you post your email for paypal each time you post so I don't have to go back and look for it each time I donate (LOL) If it looks like we might not make it in time let us know as I will donate again if needed.
R
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 03:13 PM
Gracias BF....2,700 now and only 5 days left.....Hmmmm? What to do

Thank you for the suggestion Ricardo.

egvbuckovecs@gmail.com

I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by akmaxx]

[Edited on 7-12-2013 by akmaxx]
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 06:40 PM

Hey I got an idea why don't 26 nomads donate $50.00 each and that will get us to $ 4,000. or 13 @ $100 or ...
R
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 06:47 PM
to up the ante

Max, can you put together a short article we can post on our Facebook Pages with link to your donation sites, i.e. PayPal? Also suggest that when we post we ask our FB friends to share your article.

I'm sure many Nomads are active on FB.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2011 at 06:53 PM

I'm not yet retired (so I can afford it)and will make it out of the snow to Baja someday so make the total 2800.00 now.
R
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2011 at 02:37 PM
Gracias RB, LM...the total is moving up due to your generosity.

Gracias Mulegena. I posted the original story on my FB page, but since I haven't written anything of that caliber again I hesitate to post a rerun. Can you imagine if she had done something amazing in addition to her great grades, study ethic, and keeping up with the patrons?

She is doing all she can and is hoping for very little help.

Please feel free to post the link to the story on nomads on your facebook page.

Thanks again,
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2011 at 06:07 PM
Gracias JB and NF.....Total is 2,900 and we will break 3,000 by the weekend I hope.

Spread the word....Gracias.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2011 at 06:36 PM

BRILLIANT IDEA TO PUT ON FACEBOOK .... I did it and got one donator already :))))

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2011 at 10:36 AM
Felicidades & Buena Suerte

Thank you for all the updates on Emilia's studies and wonderful efforts. I lived in Mulege from 1998-2000 and worked with students from CECyT, the local high school, who were in a program to be bilingual guides at the town's musuem. We had amazing adventures together at the museum, exploring the local cave art sites, whale watching in Laguna San Ignacio and many other wonderful experiences. Now, my students are in their early 30s with their careers and families so Emilia's story was so touching to read as it reminded me of all the amazing efforts many Mulege students are making to not only develop their own lives but as Emilia so exemplifies, contribute to others in their community. I wish her all the best and I will share this story with my 10 year old daughter whose father is from Mulege. I know she will be very impressed and we're looking forward to visiting Mulege visit in March. Thanks again to everyone's efforts to support Emilia and I'm off to the paypal site now :-) :yes:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2011 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
BRILLIANT IDEA TO PUT ON FACEBOOK .... I did it and got one donator already :))))
Great, Blanca
I was trying to find the "Like" button just now.
I'll copy and post on my Facebook page.
Max, repost on FB.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.