Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:46 PM

David,
I still don't understand your reference to "his rabbi". :?::?:

[Edited on 10-28-2013 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 01:27 PM

The PRI leadership guides him, they nourish him, they protect him. Maybe you are not familiar with the general term "Rabbi".

the term RABBI is used when an individual has assistance a lot of assistance from someone or something in power. They go to bat for someone constantly having them under their wing. Beat cops use the term to describe a Lieutenant or Captain that is hustling their advancement through the ranks.

I had a delagado federal as a "Rabbi" when I went after my citizenship. Ismael coached me, made telephone calls to reduce waiting times, and push paperwork through the bureaucracy. How did this man come to adopt me? I suppose it was when we had hours long discussions about the history of Mexico and how misunderstood Mexico's history is in the world. One day out of the blue he said, "You really should apply to the SRE to become a citizen of Mexico".

Becoming a citizen means adopting a lot of drawbacks as well as advantages. If a naturalized citizen is accused of a crime, they cannot run to their local consulate and get the same level of "protection" that an extraneous would. The Government would claim correctly (He is a lawful citizen of Mexico). The citizen must maintain an RFC financial accounting, can not legally drive a motor vehicle with extraneous license plates, use a non Mexican driver license, and is subject to laws about slander and provocation that an extraneous cannot be prosecuted for - the violators are merely expelled from Mexican territory under threat of a suspended prison sentence - return and you go to prison. Dork the Bounty Hunter for instance can never enter Mexico again. But my new casita in Michoacan is being built on my own property 100M2 in the so-called federal zone. My mango, cocos, limones, mamey, and platinos are my orchard and I am a voting member of an ejido.

All because I had a RABBI.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The PRI leadership guides him, they nourish him, they protect him. Maybe you are not familiar with the general term "Rabbi".

the term RABBI is used when an individual has assistance a lot of assistance from someone or something in power. They go to bat for someone constantly having them under their wing. Beat cops use the term to describe a Lieutenant or Captain that is hustling their advancement through the ranks.

I had a delagado federal as a "Rabbi" when I went after my citizenship. Ismael coached me, made telephone calls to reduce waiting times, and push paperwork through the bureaucracy. How did this man come to adopt me? I suppose it was when we had hours long discussions about the history of Mexico and how misunderstood Mexico's history is in the world. One day out of the blue he said, "You really should apply to the SRE to become a citizen of Mexico".

........All because I had a RABBI.

David,
You have an interesting way of defining the word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbi

I have only heard the word used in a context of religious teachings....not in regards to how lawyers generally operate or how beat cops refer to role models....in fact, your utilization doesn't seem to demonstrate a respect for the teaching offered as much as the benefits gained from the efforts of others to resolve your legal challenges.

The Wiki link seems to try to demonstrate how the word has been used in non-religious contexts....but it is a bit of a stretch to separate the word from religious teachings.

Ya learn something everyday here.

vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:26 PM

Looking beyond Wiki

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rabbi
see (5)

[Edited on 10-29-2013 by vacaenbaja]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:44 PM

I did look beyond Wiki......and it appears that the "slang" use of the word is how D. applied the word.

Now, if you understand the word "slang" as presented by Merriam Webster:
"slang
noun \ˈslaŋ\

: words that are not considered part of the standard vocabulary of a language and that are used very informally in speech especially by a particular group of people
Full Definition of SLANG
: language peculiar to a particular group: as
a : argot
b : jargon 2
: an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages, arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious figures of speech"

.... Or another definition:

slang (slng)
n.
1. A kind of language occurring chiefly in casual and playful speech, made up typically of short-lived coinages and figures of speech that are deliberately used in place of standard terms for added raciness, humor, irreverence, or other effect.
2. Language peculiar to a group; argot or jargon: thieves' slang.
v. slanged, slang·ing, slangs
v.intr.
1. To use slang.
2. To use angry and abusive language: persuaded the parties to quit slanging and come to the bargaining table.
v.tr.
To attack with abusive language; vituperate."

All in all, I have never, in 62 years, heard the term used as David has applied it, but the definitions of slang and rabbi seem to coincide in a disrespectful reference....which may have been David's intention considering the content of his missive.

It strikes me as being intended to be insulting.

tlalocs
Banned

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

For 1 peso you can have wild ride on one of these :lol:

Su GFE?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 02:09 PM

The word was not intended to be an insult. It is commonly used in many work places and even in the military when someone has an "usher" helping him. A "Rabbi" in that context indicates someone of influential administrative power, a guardian angel. Trying to twist this into some kind of accusation of me making an anti Semitic slur is trite, and beneath contempt. You should be ashamed of yourself. I've not got a racist or anti-theological bone in my body.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 02:12 PM

Davide You are SO full of crap.....

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 02:43 PM

David,
Wow !!! I should be ashamed of myself?

I did not say anything about being anti-Semitic....but found your use of the word unusual....

Your rationalization works for you, I see.....but what should I be ashamed of?

You were clearly presenting a condemning opinion of Carlos ....and it looked like you were not respecting his imagined "usher's'" imagined advice.

Just looked like a poke at someone using a term usually used in quite a different context.

Methinks you protest too much .

[Edited on 10-29-2013 by motoged]

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:18 AM
Lets put this to rest, OK?

I was raised Jewish and have heard the term Rabbi occasionally used beyond the religious sense. I have heard it used in the context of which I interpreted it as a wise opinion by an individual. Even though raised as a Jew, I never took offense when used in that manner.
Are we done now with the Rabbi reference?

Now back on track to the Peso.. Just got 12.78 at the ATM in Loreto.

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:25 AM

En este momento:

Heyyyyyy....didja hear about the Greek boy who ran away from home because he didn't like the way his father was rearin' him? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:....I'm on a roll....everybody stand back..........:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:27 AM

Dennis, where did you get your figure? If it is from a computer, not from an actual transaction, the numbers just don't matter. If it is from a transaction, I would love to deal with your bank, not mine.

George Bernard Shaw

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Dennis, where did you get your figure?

Yahoo Finance.

Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:41 AM
For Dennis, another joke

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right ...

George Bernard Shaw

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right ...

:lol::lol::lol:
Ohhh my freakin' Gawd...It's the Howie and Denny show. :lol::lol::lol:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote:

Can we done now with the Rabbi reference?

Now back on track to the Peso.. Just got 12.78 at the ATM in Loreto.

Yep....DONE.

The Canadian $ is worth $0.96 US today.....:saint:

Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 12:32 PM

We just bought a couple thousand USD...Only cost us $120

I HATE BANKS

sold out and got out !!!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 01:34 PM

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain."
-Mark Twain

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by DavidE]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 02:47 PM

Holy guacamole....it's now at 13.07:o

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 08:17 AM

At this moment:

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.