Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 01:31 PM

Does he have a cell phine? I was told you can be tracked with a cell phone, whether it is on or off.

No phone service in .campo rene. As a matter of fact, internet seems to be iffy these days over there too.

I just sent a U2U to Ralph in Abreojos. Once the car gets back, I will head over to see what I can find out.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
UglyDuckling

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 02:01 PM

Since Gary's phone isnt a smartphone (old flip phone) and has no signal south of Ensanada I dont believe so
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
These work great in the "Known World"...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

:cool:

I bought one last year before my solo ride down to Central America, They work really well, and I used the ok button to let my wife know all was well when I couldn't get internet to email her, $$ well spent IMO
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 05:07 PM
SPOT

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
These work great in the "Known World"...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

:cool:

I traded in my Gen 1 SPOT for a new Gen 3. Smaller, easier to use. Currently tracking our trip from Nevada to Baja.

Works great!!!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Lot of people talk about them..I dont know any one who actually has one..

While following this thread I have many times thought that a Spot would have eliminated all this. I have had one for 3 years and have never used the "need help" or "911/Rescue" function. I use the "I'm OK and here's where I am" function a couple of times a day while motorcycling around Baja and other places. It costs $98.00/yr and provides Kathy and my daughter reassurance that I'm ok. If suddenly there is no contact they will at least know where I was the previous day and what direction I was headed. I have been riding around Baja for almost 40 years now and had a couple of times when this technology would have helped. Frankly, it is well worth the cost to provide peace of mind those who care about me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

While following this thread I have many times thought that a Spot would have eliminated all this.

It's only good if the holder wants to use it. I have a feeling this would not have been the case here.
We've been called upon to assist in finding this man, but pertinent details have been denied us. That is wrong. We should be full aware of what we are being called into.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 06:15 PM

Thanks to all for continued support. We will continue to ignore the negativity. Dennis, what do you want?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVPatton
Thanks to all for continued support. We will continue to ignore the negativity. Dennis, what do you want?

Answers to these questions asked yesterday would have been a good start.

Quote:

We have no idea where this guy's head's at....his mental state...his habits....his interests....nothing.
So much info has been omitted that I feel uninformed.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:05 PM

Troll
LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:08 PM

To those so kind on this forum, uncle Dave heading to GN Friday with Manuel.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:10 PM
E X H

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
A tablet or smartphone gps works anywhere it can see a satellite. I have one. But, lets continue this in another post and not get this post OT.

Do the tablets/smartphones have internal GPS receivers or just use the GPS derived timing/location from the accessed cells?
I've used a lot of GPS disciplined system clocks that had internal GPS receivers with external antennas( antennae for the prissy)
but not directly from phones or tablets..just asking

EdZ KG6UTS
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:34 PM

does that mean he has been found?

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:

To those so kind on this forum, uncle Dave heading to GN Friday with Manuel.

So he has been found? Any details?

LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:42 PM

he has not been found. Thanks for concern and following this post. It is appreciated.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 07:49 PM

take the techie stuff to another thread focus on the lost guy

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 08:11 PM

Back to money, given true that he budgets cash on hand for his trips then how would he be getting by for10 days over his expected trip? You need money even in Baja.
LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2013 at 08:24 PM

Possible he is not short on funds at this point.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 06:46 PM

When I first saw this missing persons post it hit home, as they all do. I have worked on several as a Private Investigator in Baja and some did not all have good outcomes. After a few days of reading posts I decided to call Jennifer whose phone number was listed on the flyer. On September 15 I explained to Jennifer who I was and that I live in Ensenada and am knowledgeable in missing persons investigations in Mexico. I also made a point that I was not calling her to solicit business in that I have a lot of assignments right now and would not be able to take time to work this but I could help with my ideas and thoughts on who needs to be contacted but this needs to be done right now. She told me that Garys brother Dave went south as far as BOLA and did not turn up anything. Jenn told me that she would forward my information to her family who was organizing a search. She also told me that her Aunt is a county sheriff and that she was involved. She did not ask me anything regarding what should be done and said she for me not to call Dave in that he will not answer any calls that he does not recognize the number. I said I would be waiting for Daves call and I could help with a plan when the search continues.

No call on the 16th. On the 17th I sent the below email to Jennifer at 11:00 a.m.:

Jenn,

I really don't know why your family has not contacted me yet but maybe you can explain that later however right now I want to get this information to you so you can start contacting some of the facilities that I would if I was doing this investigation. You must remember that time is very important and every day that goes by this process will be more difficult.

First off I don't present myself as an "expert" but since I have done this kind of investigation on many occasions and in many different countries I believe I could, at the very least, help you. As I also said I am not looking for compensation with my ideas to help you along the way. I have enough work right now to last me for quite awhile. I have never had a family member in this position and I know it must be very frustrating and that is why I am offering my help.

I saw on the BajaNomad board that someone suggested to hire an airplane to search for your Uncles vehicle. I believe this is a waste of time right now and other things need to be done first.

In the flyer I am glad you did not offer a reward for information. If you did you will receive calls from undesirable individuals who have no knowledge of Garys current location and will attempt to scam you.

Please contact all junk yards and tow companies from Ensenada to Mulege to verify if the vehicle has been recovered. My brother in law here in Ensenada owns the largest tow facility in the city and is contracted by the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) to tow for them. Other tow companies south of Ensenada are also contracted by the federals so this needs to be done. A personal appearance to these companies is your best bet. Telephone calls do not generate much enthusiasm and while there several flyers need to be given to them. Of course this includes all city, state, and individually owned tow businesses. The vehicle could have been stripped and what is left could be at one of these companies junk yards.

Another one of my family members is the "commandant" of the Federal de Caminos here in Ensenada. I understand that flyers have been given to the Mexican Highway Patrol but in order to make sure that this information does not fade away daily notices must be supplied to each patrol officer with Garys description and vehicle information up and down the peninsula.

One of my good friend for over 20 years is Marco Novelo who was just voted in as "Delagado" (Federal Congressman) and his office is located next to the City of Ensenada "Presidencia" just south of the city. He is also the owner of Las Rosas Hotel in Ensenada. His congressional area is from the city of Ensenada to BOLA. You MUST contact Marco and ask for a letter from him that can be presented to city, state, and federal facilities that need to be contacted. These letters go a long way and especially now with tourism on the re-bound and Marco as well as his staff will be very helpful. Marco speaks English. No one in government wants to see tourism decline and I assume they will be more than helpful. Marco could get a flyer to every Mexican Federal Government employee from Ensenada to BOLA.

These other items need to be done right now: As much as everyone wants your Uncle in good health and return unharmed you have to look at the other side of the issue. Dental records need to be available and sent to any agency that may need them. I was in a position once that this became a problem and was not resolved for a few weeks when it could have been completed the same day. Also medical history regarding any broken bones, surgeries, and tattoos that Gary may have had. Local offices of the Cruz Rojo (Red Cross) as well as the local Semefo (Morgue) need to be contacted.

Police agencies in each and every small town and rancho and their out posts need to be contacted personally and flyers given.

Each contact that you make wherever it is get a name of the person you spoke with and their telephone number so that you can follow up on a semi weekly basis.

The American Embassy can not really help you. They will make a file but as far as them contacting anyone is not part of their protocol in missing persons issues.

You had mentioned that your Aunt is a Deputy Sheriff in California. I am sure that the sheriffs office has a liaison with Mexican authorities and this is great but you cannot depend on their counterpart to hit the streets. You need someone on the ground to get these things done and it is time consuming.

These are just a few ideas I have. I'm sure I will come up with more as time goes by. It is so nice that others have offered their time to post flyers and contact who they know in the areas they live but they must continue their efforts as much as they can in the days ahead.

If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. Run your ideas past me because I have been there on prior investigations and you don't want to spin your wheels.

All the best,

Dan

I want to be clear why I think junk yards and tow companies need to be contacted...If Gary was murdered I believe everything in his vehicle would have been taken as well as the vehicle stripped. There is a chance the 4 runner would be at one of these yards.

It was not until the morning of Sept. 18th that a woman, Macarena, called me and said she was part of Garys family and was calling from Las Vegas. She told me that she was happy that I made contact and then asked what needed to be done. I asked her if she read my email that was sent to Jennifer and she said no. I told her that she needed to read this and start from there. I explained that someone from the family needs to go to San Quintin and contact everyone I listed as well as all police, hospitals, clinics, restaurants, taco stands etc. Make sure they also bring a lot of flyers to post everywhere... Macarena asked how much an investigator would charge to do this for them and I told her it could be as high as 10k depending on what leads they have but most investigators would ask for a retainer for maybe 3k and when this amount runs out, and a detailed report is submitted, they could discuss further investigation and another retainer would be asked for. She was told that a family member or friend could do everything a paid investigator could do but you must start now. I again made sure that Macarena was aware that I could not accept this assignment and that I was giving my thoughts only as a concerned person that has experience in issues as these. Macarena, as far as I was concerned, was trying to wrap up the conversation way to early only after about 6 minutes of talking. A few things I did learn from her was that Gary was expected back home two weeks ago which would have been on the 4th but we know he was a guest at Jardines Hotel in SQ on the 5th. This was the last know confirmed information we have. I asked about Garys mental state and she mentioned that he may have been suffering from memory issues (her words-not mine). This is also new news. Macarena reported that it was unusual that Gary has not called. She said he would have called at least every other day.

I thought I would pass on this information because it appears to me there is no sense of urgency with the way the family is handling this but maybe they are doing something. WHAT! If they are I wish they would pass on what is known or what they are doing with all of us. They were the ones that made it known to BajaNomad so we should be included. Because the family appear to not be very excited with current events then we here are also not to concerned but I am and I'm sure many of you are.
LVPatton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 07:05 PM

My wifes conversation with you was short due to your high level of negativity. There were some helpful tips and for that we are thankful. You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

[Edited on 9-20-2013 by LVPatton]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVPatton
My wifes conversation with you was short due to your high level of negativity. There were some helpful tips and for that we are thankful. You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

[Edited on 9-20-2013 by LVPatton]

This lvpatton sounds like a nut. Perhaps the "searchers" are scammers, ex wives, who knows? Maybe the lost one has good reason to stay lost.

Searchers that refuse to answer phones?

Anyone actually met the searching family? Or are nomads just responding to emails from Nigerians?

Seems odd.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.