Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 10:39 AM

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/tropical-stor...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:12 AM

An esteemed Nomad, for reasons of his own, sent this to me to be passed along here.
---------------------------

"Hurricane Odile is now a major hurricane in the eastern Pacific, as it has benefited from low wind shear and warm water.

The government of Mexico has issued a hurricane warning for a portion of the southern Baja California peninsula, including Cabo San Lucas. Hurricane watches were posted a bit farther up the west and east coasts of the Baja peninsula.

Odile has a large wind field, with tropical storm-force winds extending out almost 200 miles from the center. Odile will track toward the northwest, and parallel the southern and central Baja peninsula Pacific coast from Sunday night through Tuesday with damaging hurricane-force winds.

(FORECAST: Cabo San Lucas)

Rainfall from 5-10 inches with isolated amounts to 15 inches is also expected not only in the southern Baja peninsula, but also in parts of southwest Mexico on the east side of Odile's circulation. Flash flooding and mudslides are a good bet in areas of heaviest rainfall."

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
For those in harm's way, reminder: flying debris is a major cause of injury.

Are you talking about Raiders games? :o

BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:17 AM

Wind is picking up CSL live video
Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:23 AM

[QUOTE]Those who think they 'wish they were there' to enjoy the party have obviously never experienced major hurricane or tornado events; i'd be running like hell right now. [/QUOTE]

And where are you going to run too? The States?

I lived in a major cyclone prone area in Australia. I know what they do. They measure the rainfall in feet annually. Makes the 'rain' here seem like a spray bottle.
I've seen a caravan lifted in the air and thrown 100 yards before being smashed to pulp. And that was only in a regular storm.

Prepare, stay calm and you're fine.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quick report
Winds picking up(10-12)
Skies cloudy
Drizzle of rain
Feels like it is close
We are real close to be ready
Only have 2 more water hoses to coil and stow
Dark to the southeast....

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:38 AM

Hang on tight. Know that we are watching with you.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

This is right down your alley. Why aren't you out there?

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:47 AM

Just got back from town. People in the Oasis are evacuating.

Townfolk don't seem too concerned at this point which is frustrating to me as they're most vulnerable. Townspeople are also the most resilient and resourceful people I've ever met, too, and take care of one another, pick up, dry off and get on with the business of living after a hurricane and the flooding it brings to the river valley.

I stopped two French bicyclists heading south across the highway bridge, explained they were riding into a hurricane and tried to get them to stay in town above the flood zone. They insisted they could go 70 miles today, and wanted to make it to La Paz by Tuesday... arggh!... so I gave them directions to Mark and Olivia's Playa Buena Ventura as their stop; it's about 30 miles down the bay. I do hope they stop there and wait out the storm. My thoughts are with them.

My house is well above the flood zone but is subject to wind damage, sooo wish me luck, kiddos!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

This is right down your alley. Why aren't you out there?

'Cause I'm north of 50. Seriously, the fun factor goes way down when the words in the forecast include, "life threatening". :P

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:51 AM

Shari, just got off of the phone with Bettina and her mother, They have opted to weather the storm out in Asuncion. You might keep an eye opened in their direction if it goes to hell, which it looks like it might. We tried to get them to come over to San Bruno, but they did not think they could pack up soon enough. Thanks

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
And where are you going to run too? The States?

well, safest to get out of the high wind areas. hurricane force winds kill people with flying debris. and those baja houses are mostly incapable of withstanding high winds. and when the building materials fly at 100+ mph, any human hit by a 100+ mph projectile is in a world of hurt
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:03 PM

Shari

looks like Asuncion, is in the direct path

I would think you would need to leave now if your going to make it
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:06 PM

By looking at the path of the latest 5 hour moving satellite view, looks like it may reach La Paz between 5am to 10am tomorrow, Monday. Looks like the circle of the hurricane has about a 150 mile diameter (just guessing) and that the northern outer circle (circumference) will reach La Paz at about 10pm tonight.

A good note is that it appears that, as the hurricane approaches the Baja land mass, the clouds seem to dissipate somewhat as the hurricane travels northward over said Baja land mass.

Anybody know the estimated diameter of the hurricane force winds around the eye? Anybody know the speed of travel of this hurricane's northward direction?

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by MitchMan]
tigerdog
Nomad

exclamation.gif posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:11 PM
Webcams

Here are some webcams so we can all see what's happening in Cabo, part of the Corridor, Puerto Los Cabos and Todos Santos --- at least for a while...

http://www.cabosanlucas.net/interactive/webcam/ also

http://www.loscabosguide.com/cabosanlucas/webcams.htm and

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/webcams/new/beach-cams-prov...

Surf's up! She's coming...

\"You know Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocket-ship underpants don\'t help.\" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes

Visit me at Rocky Point Tides
http://rptides.blogspot.com/
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:46 PM

Here is a great realtime sat view,go to the right side where it says animated GIF and see whats coming you way Good luck guys

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/15E/15E_floater.htm...
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:47 PM
nice view...

<edit 4> 6 PM San Diego time: offline, no image showing...

<edit 3> 1:30 San Diego time: Looking brighter, less wind now. People out on balconies checking out the view.

<edit 2> Now showing rain drops on lens, view of the cape across the bay now obscured by clouds/rain... This is moving like a freight train and heading straight into baja...I have goosebumps sitting here in 80 degree weather in San Diego watching this in real time...

<edit 1> Wow, it's gotten noticeably worse in just a few minutes... still showing 17 MPG on the screen, but I'm kind of skeptical- no telling where the wind gauge is located.

Whew.... stay safe people.

<original> thank you for link. winds at 17 MPH acc to website now (12:45 in San Diego), will be interesting to see how this changes in coming hours, how long power/video stays active.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/tropical-stor...

[Edited on 9-14-2014 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 9-15-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 12:55 PM

...''one for the record books''((???))...Posted Today, 12:14 PM
..this is sounding ominous indeed--may all be well!

If people have not evacuated Cabo San Lucas yet they don't have a lot of time as if the airport has not yet closed it will be soon. Unless we get a significant wobble to the left Cabo is in for an absolute ass kicking as Category 4 hurricane Odile may indeed achieve Category 5 status just prior to landfall around 6:20PM tonight (Could be slightly earlier). If boat owners have not moved their boats by now, I wouldn't recommend going to sea as things are going to get seriously dangerous over the next few hours. The diameter of the storm is not enormous so it may be tolerable one minute and be horrendous 30 minutes later.

If you have friends and family in Cabo they need to find a way to convert as many of their available credit dollars (Credit advance) into cash as credit cards are likely to be useless for the next couple of weeks with no power for an extended period of time. If they in an Ocean front resort it is critical that they get with the hotel staff and best understand the emergency plan (If they have one). If the structure is a steel reinforced concrete building built to withstand a Category 5 hurricane you might be okay but the surge on this could exceed 30 feet and ocean front resorts (Even big ones) can be laid to waste by the ocean in an direct eye wall hit at landfall.

The harbor in Cabo is unfortunately on the worst side of the storm for surge. This is going to be very ugly unless Odile changes course soon. I have collected some before images over the last 25 minutes and in just that amount of time the surf has increased significantly.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 01:02 PM

lookin nasty

6_xlarge (Small).jpeg - 20kB
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 01:09 PM

AccuWeather: "The southern tip of Baja California will experience the worse conditions from Odile Sunday night and into early Monday as 100-200 mm (4-8 inches) of rain floods the area. Sustained winds of 80-130 kph (50-80 mph) are expected and wind gusts approaching 160 kph (100 mph) will cause widespread power outages and structural damage."

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.