Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
So Goat, your (SDCWA) 2014 figures state that San Diego water is from the Colorado River via the MWD/Coachella/Imperial Irrigation. Dist 76% (does not state how much of that comes from the Sacto Delta area?), and local sources are 24%.

I don't understand your point as these figures don't appear to me to really be in conflict with David's statement.

Barry

MWD gets it's water from Northern California and then distributes it out after marking up the cost.

http://www.mwdh2o.com/

Here's an interesting map just for David: http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/news/2012-ConvMap.pdf

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by Bajaboy]

Well, sorta!!!

My understanding-----Most of MWD's water comes from the Colorado River, I believe. But yes, there is some from the State Water project (NorCal) also. I just don't know how much.

Barry

Well not really:

A major source of its water is the Owens River-Tinemaha Reservoir, 133 miles away in Owens Valley. The water in the Owens River- Tinemaha Reservoir comes from
the State Water Project, a 444 mile-long water system which begins in Northern California.

Other sources of water for Los Angeles are the Haiwee Reservoir, 137 miles away in the Owens Valley, Lake Havasu (reservoir) 242 miles away in Arizona, and the Colorado River Aqueduct, 200 miles away.

http://www.triplepundit.com/2009/03/do-you-know-where-la-get...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 04:30 PM

Map that Bajaboy posted shows the system very well... coming from the Colorado River right to San Diego. It doesn't even show any connection from Northern California to here, but I know some trickles through. Thanks Zac!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 04:50 PM

san diego's water comes from 3 primary sources, and proportions vary with time. approximate sources: state water project, 30%; colo river, 50%; and local sources, 20%.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 05:00 PM

So Goat, your (SDCWA) 2014 figures state that San Diego water is from the Colorado River via the MWD/Coachella/Imperial Irrigation. Dist 76% (does not state how much of that comes from the Sacto Delta area?), and local sources are 24%.

I don't understand your point as these figures don't appear to me to really be in conflict with David's statement.

Barry

MWD gets it's water from Northern California and then distributes it out after marking up the cost.

http://www.mwdh2o.com/

Here's an interesting map just for David: http://www.mwdh2o.com/mwdh2o/pages/news/2012-ConvMap.pdf

[Edited on 2-17-2015 by Bajaboy]

Well, sorta!!!

My understanding-----Most of MWD's water comes from the Colorado River, I believe. But yes, there is some from the State Water project (NorCal) also. I just don't know how much.

Barry

Well not really:

A major source of its water is the Owens River-Tinemaha Reservoir, 133 miles away in Owens Valley. The water in the Owens River- Tinemaha Reservoir comes from
the State Water Project, a 444 mile-long water system which begins in Northern California.

Other sources of water for Los Angeles are the Haiwee Reservoir, 137 miles away in the Owens Valley, Lake Havasu (reservoir) 242 miles away in Arizona, and the Colorado River Aqueduct, 200 miles away.

http://www.triplepundit.com/2009/03/do-you-know-where-la-get...

Like the Goat said, stuff on the Net is often wrong.

The statements above are contorted and just plain wrong.

The Owens Valley Aqueduct gets NO water from the "State Water Project"----none!!! (The Sierra-Nevada Range is in the way).

Haiwee reservoir is part of the Owens Valley Aquaduct system, and thereby receives no water from the State Water Project, and certainly is not an "additional" source of water..

I believe that Owens Valley Water is now (almost?) exclusively used for agriculture in and around Los Angeles.

Barry
rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 05:19 PM

Was a Field Tech at SDCWA and an Engineer at Cal State Water Resources Dept 20+ years ago. At that time most of the water IMPORTED into San Diego County was Colorado River Water. Very little came from the State Water Project. About 75% of the State Water Project was used for Ag, about 10% satisfying Clean Water & Fish Regs and the balance was Commercial & Residential consumption. Owens Valley was Ag, Comm & Res consumption. I am sure Ag has taken the biggest hit as that was the plan back then. Problem is the population growth was larger than the savings from Ag IMHO coupled with decrease in rainfall.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Agree Cliffy ... Based on the Law of thermodynamics as it applies to all matter we currently understand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

And we are seeing "it" applied globally at this time

Bit surprised about Lake Powell .. as a National Geo'a repot on the "river" and/or "lake's" was somewhat different

Noted that the comparisons are from 1999 and 2013, a very interesting interactive they have though

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130816-color...

Think the Anasazi might have idea's on drought and/or climate change, if we could ask them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Pueblo_peoples#Migratio...

And I'm NOT hoping for a drought ... anywhere

Pray and/or dance for rain/snow .. where needed

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by wessongroup]

I recall watching Lake Powell fill from its very beginning. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the high water mark that was hit decades ago has never been repeated.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 06:17 PM

I need a drink of water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDtCa8ZgAk4

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 5.15.23 PM.png - 143kB
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 06:24 PM
state,fed water

Am I and Kgyfon the only two delta rats here ??? and barry is very correct..owens valley has nothing to do with the "ditch" as some of us call it..but folks would be very surprised to know about water in calif and its many inter systems......K&T
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 06:45 PM

Note to bajahowodd:
Lake Powell reached "pool level" in June, 1980.

In 1983 and 1984 it exceeded "pool level'' by over 8 feet, and almost cost the Dam Damn its' place on the earth.

Since, has not reached "pool level".

It's now aprox. 100' or more below.

For a great read, if you want to know the Engineers' specs on the Damn Dam, read "Glen Canyon" by Steve Hannon.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The 'progressives' are so sure there is no God (or 'Mother Nature' to some), .....

To not appear so ignorant, you really should edit that statement to say SOME PROGRESSIVES.

There are many very religious progressives who very much believe in a god with a capital G. There are many who are Methodists, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, member of the Church of Christ, Evangelicals, Catholics and more. And that list just covers a few of the different Christian churches.

Ignorance is curable if one wishes to learn.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by DianaT]
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 07:36 PM

I, although not a religious person, have always been under the impression that Jesus Christ was quite progressive. My apologies for the OFF-TOPIC DavidK induced post. Carry on with the more serious drought issue.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The 'progressives' are so sure there is no God (or 'Mother Nature' to some), .....

To not appear so ignorant, you really should edit that statement to say SOME PROGRESSIVES.

There are many very religious progressives who very much believe in a god with a capital G. There are many who are Methodists, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, member of the Church of Christ, Evangelicals, Catholics and more. And that list just covers a few of the different Christian churches.

Ignorance is curable if one wishes to learn.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by DianaT]

I assume you have sources and links to back those statements up, Diane?!?!?!?!?!

(the devil made me say that) :lol:

Barry

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Note to bajahowodd:

In 1983 and 1984 it exceeded "pool level'' by over 8 feet, and almost cost the Dam Damn its' place on the earth.

For a great read, if you want to know the Engineers' specs on the Damn Dam, read "Glen Canyon" by Steve Hannon.

I've fished and boated on Lake Powell since way back. Here's some photos showing the water levels in 1986..taken while onboard the Scenic Queen tour boat. The tour guide mentioned the 'pool level' high water mark and this year's drop. You can see the 'bathtub ring'. There would be quite the high-dive from there to today's waterline.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Am I and Kgyfon the only two delta rats here ??? and barry is very correct..owens valley has nothing to do with the "ditch" as some of us call it..but folks would be very surprised to know about water in calif and its many inter systems......K&T

In learning about "water" and water projects in CA, there is a wonderful Visitor Center along side interstate 5 over the pass between LA and Bakersfield---------well worth spending several hours at.

Barry
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 08:12 PM

I think the way things work out is somewhere in the middle, both side are full of themselves and overstate issues to try and pull the other side to the middle.
We all should the words of Mark Twain "Never argue with a fool, he'll bring the argument down to his level and win with experience."

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 08:36 PM

It is a good example of why "science" is a field that many do not go into ... :):)

Who wants the arguments ... ALL the time :lol::lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 08:40 PM

Yes MMc we've become a nation of "one side or the other" rather than some kind of meeting of the minds in the middle aka Eisenhower and Truman era. Eisenhower was so moderate in fact that both parties wanted him to run---imagine that!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Note to bajahowodd:

I've fished and boated on Lake Powell since way back. Here's some photos showing the water levels in 1986..taken while onboard the Scenic Queen tour boat. The tour guide mentioned the 'pool level' high water mark and this year's drop. You can see the 'bathtub ring'. There would be quite the high-dive from there to today's waterline.

Wow, Roger-------(Photo #3) you even boated up to RAINBOW BRIDGE it appears------something I have long wanted to do.

Barry
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 08:58 PM

someone gimme a fork so I can jam it in my eyes. round and round, back and forth......

I need to get a life. this is becoming (more) ridiculous!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 09:00 PM

see what I mean? what the fuuck is ridiburrous? we are all past the 3rd grade, right?

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.