Pages:  1  ..  80    82    84  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I am trying to get the Rancher's number from Lizard Lips. I can go meet with him in Maneadero and talk with him about the idea or Lizard can call him. What I like about the idea is that we can all talk with him and glean all the information relevant to Gary and I think we will get a good feel where to go from there.

LL is the de facto spokesman for the family and Nomads, at this point. Best if there is only one of those, IMO. HE should do the corresponding, if he is willing. And if the family is willing.

Centralized information would seem to be an advantage, IMO. Less chance for miscommunications and cross purposes.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by Hook]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Blanca how do you get from La Bocana to Catavina, and are you near Canoas?

Don't know about Blanca but here's how I'd do it:
1. La Bocana east to Santo Tomas on the worst road I've ever been on = 17 miles or 1 hour.
2.Santo Tomas to Catavina = 207 miles or 4 hours

Bob Durrell
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:

Seriously Doc? SERIOUSLY!!! Do you not own a MAP of Baja? Have you EVER been south of that big flag in Ensenada????

Why, exactly, do you need to ask this question?

As it stands now, there won't be any need to arrange for "air conditioned rooms" and a 6 hour daily commute, as far as I know, none of the people who have volunteered to help have been contacted by the Patton family in any way. I only know, through u2u, of a couple of people with any interest in going bone hunting, and certainly there is NO urgency to learn what the vehicle and cameras might have to tell anyone. The family seems to think they have it under control and certainly there is no hurry to learn more. (Waiting until May to check the cameras?) A while back, the family suggested that people aught to be looking for a guy with nine months growth of hair and beard! To me this demonstrates a significant disconnect with the most likely reality.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
To me this demonstrates a significant disconnect with the most likely reality.

Is "faith" a byproduct of religion, or is it human nature?
Just curious.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
I'm interested in a detailed map from Canoas to Catavina and the roads that are available and the possible routes that Gary could have wanted to take off of highway 1 and where his car was relative to those roads.

READ THE THREAD!!!!! LOOK AT ALL THE DAMNED MAPS!!!!! Use the search function. Open Google Earth and go to the exact coordinates of the best guess for the car's location. Please don't start pointing-out little dark spots on Google Earth and telling the rest of us where "you are sure" we should start looking. I obviously can't handle your first 150 posts to this thread. :lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:51 AM

There are roads, but how passable are they. From what some mentioned, Gary was most likely headed to Canoas but took the long way around. What road was he on vs. the route he should have been on?
Quote:
Quote:
I'm interested in a detailed map from Canoas to Catavina and the roads that are available and the possible routes that Gary could have wanted to take off of highway 1 and where his car was relative to those roads.

READ THE THREAD!!!!! LOOK AT ALL THE DAMNED MAPS!!!!! Use the search function. Open Google Earth and go to the exact coordinates of the best guess for the car's location. Please don't start pointing-out little dark spots on Google Earth and telling the rest of us where "you are sure" we should start looking. I obviously can't handle your first 150 posts to this thread. :lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:53 AM

I realize now that La Bocana is way south of Canoas but a few of the maps I looked up on Google had another La Bocana much closer to the coordinates of the car.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

Don't know about Blanca but here's how I'd do it:
1. La Bocana east to Santo Tomas on the worst road I've ever been on = 17 miles or 1 hour.
2.Santo Tomas to Catavina = 207 miles or 4 hours
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
To me this demonstrates a significant disconnect with the most likely reality.

Is "faith" a byproduct of religion, or is it human nature?
Just curious.

Since the vast majority of humans have historically "believed" a lot of stuff on false or insufficient evidence, I'd answer: human nature. In my judgement, "religion" is used to bolster the insufficient evidence for things like "hell" and "everlasting life", or the righteous killing of infidels. While it muddles the thinking of some folks, I doubt it will have much effect on a search unless the family determines to spend time on one of the palm readers you suggested.

Bill Kauth

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:06 AM

I agree with Hook- one person (LL) for communication with the rancher. Also, Ensenada Dr commented on an earlier post that we should stop the pettiness etc and reminded us that the family reads these posts. I concur-the petty bickering and cheap shots do nothing to help figure out what happened to Gary. As the saying goes we can disagree without being disagreeable. I can vision a real mess when the search begins. Seems we have friction among some of the posters. If that friction is evident once the search begins the search will be miserable for everybody and especially the family. (Ever been at a family reunion where a couple of unhappy members ruins the outing for everybody??) In order to limit the trampling of clues the search must be organized. If the search has 25 chiefs and a couple Indians it will not go well. Even though LL is not experienced in a searching operation he is experienced in basically everything else and he has shown an incredible desire and ability to listen to others and just as importantly to recognize when we are getting off base and/or doing things that can be hurtful to the family. I don't personally know many of the other posters. If the chief organizer is not LL I believe it should be someone who not only knows how to organize a search but has the ability to see that egos don't get in the way of a successful search.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:10 AM

There is a guy I recommended to Lizard. His name is Ralph Shoemaker. He runs the RV park at Santa Ines a few miles south of Catavina. I read he knows the area like the back of his hand, obviously he is a Gringo with that name. I did send an email to Hotel La Mision in Catavina and got a response from a worker there who said he see if he could contact Ralph. Obviously LL is aware of this and he and the family makes all the final decisions.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
I doubt it will have much effect on a search unless the family determines to spend time on one of the palm readers you suggested.

And, don't forget the Ouija Board as a font of knowledge. This is a direct link to Spiritualpedia.com.
Here it is again....just in case you missed it:

http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/ouija/

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
I realize now that La Bocana is way south of Canoas but a few of the maps I looked up on Google had another La Bocana much closer to the coordinates of the car.

There is La Bocana, 20 miles [+-] toward the beach from Todos Santos.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I agree with Hook- one person (LL) for communication with the rancher. Also, Ensenada Dr commented on an earlier post that we should stop the pettiness etc and reminded us that the family reads these posts. I concur-the petty bickering and cheap shots do nothing to help figure out what happened to Gary. As the saying goes we can disagree without being disagreeable. I can vision a real mess when the search begins. Seems we have friction among some of the posters. If that friction is evident once the search begins the search will be miserable for everybody and especially the family. (Ever been at a family reunion where a couple of unhappy members ruins the outing for everybody??) In order to limit the trampling of clues the search must be organized. If the search has 25 chiefs and a couple Indians it will not go well. Even though LL is not experienced in a searching operation he is experienced in basically everything else and he has shown an incredible desire and ability to listen to others and just as importantly to recognize when we are getting off base and/or doing things that can be hurtful to the family. I don't personally know many of the other posters. If the chief organizer is not LL I believe it should be someone who not only knows how to organize a search but has the ability to see that egos don't get in the way of a successful search.

I doubt that it will be an issue, once a time and place are decided upon to begin the search most of the "Indiana Jones wannabe's" will realize that they have conflicting schedules. The Nomads that do show up will be those who should.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:04 PM

The rancher is at his ranch right now and will be there for two weeks. I DON"T want the rancher contacted by anyone other than the family or myself as I don't want him to be bombarded with people he has never met and asked another series of questions. I know there are a lot of unanswered questions we need to ask him but they can wait for awhile.

The rancher told me he doesn't mind people camping at his property but they had better bring everything needed. He also told me that it takes him two hours once leaving the highway to get to his ranch and he drives very slow.

The ball is in the families court, so to speak, in that they are coming down to get the 4 Runner and go to the area where it was found. I don't have any dates yet and I also don't know what their thinking is regarding having a search attempted with the Nomads at the same time. If it were me-----I would want those involved to come and assist but because I have never spoken with Gary's two sons and his brother Dave we will just have to wait and see. I may not be able to make it anytime soon because of my work load. I have three business trips planned and must be done prior to the first week of May but that could change also so I don't want ya all to give me any grief if I'm not there on-site.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:04 PM

here was the original map that appeared near the search site between La Bocana and Catavina. I know that Todos Santos is way down near Cabo and so I wouldn't be referring to that one Dennis.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Catavi%C3%B1a,+Mexico/La+Boc...
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:35 PM

Doc---I think you're referring to Rancho la Bocana, which is northwest of Catavina. and fairly close, as the crow flies, to the truck site. It sits in the upper drainage of the arroyo system that empties into Punta Canoas.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:

Blanca lives in La Bocana, down by Abreojos and Bahia Asuncion---long ways away from Rancho la Bocana.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
I know that Todos Santos is way down near Cabo and so I wouldn't be referring to that one Dennis.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Catavi%C3%B1a,+Mexico/La+Boc...

Different TS. I'm referring to TS, around twenty miles south of Maneadero.

Here's a fix for your link:

http://tinyurl.com/kufp5dg

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:43 PM

DTbushpilot-You're probably correct- let's hope
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 01:38 PM

OK, I just had a thought here (and I'm not caught up by any means (4/11/14 11:46am is the post I am on right now) but Garys truck looked like it had pretty big tires on it and was a 2WD - What would the speedo/odometer correction be for those tires? 2WD's had pretty smallish tires as stock IIRC. Don't know if it even matters but it just popped into my head ...

Back to reading...
 Pages:  1  ..  80    82    84  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.