Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  84    86    88  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I believe some Nomads knew Gary from prior trips.

That's news to me. I don't remember seeing it. :?:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 12:15 PM

Maybe the family could give us more clues as to when and what time the picture of the monument was taken. Was the picture of the monument similar to the one posted? What time of day was it or was there a time stamp? Was there a date and time stamp on the landscape pictures? Could you have someone help you post the pictures?

[Edited on 4-19-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
During my baja travels I always drive off any road for the night. Far enough so that the lights from neither my campfire nor the camper can be seen from the. I do have a 4WD now but did it with a 2WD previously by picking dirt roads judiciously.

The 2km road which I think I'm seeing in GE is pretty distinct. The side turn after that looks 'sketchy' (today's vernacular). I always figured that Gary just misjudged the softness of the sediment. That can happen to anyone. The best camping spots in such areas are the washes. You have clean sand, nearby rocks, and deadwood for campfire. Plus you are protected visually because they are often a bit lower (erosion).

Given the report drug activity in the area it's not surprising that he didn't camp right off that main road but was more cautious. Most of us would do that.

Again it's really hard to make really solid conclusions without seeing the place.

True also. It could simply be that he drove out from SQ and he was looking for a campsite and got stuck. Maybe it was raining. From there on who knows. Just seems like a lot of little incongruities that don't quite add up.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 02:10 PM

Janene, the photos are with the camera……This has been mentioned many times. Garys son did not bring the camera back.

I have not posted for many reasons lately but the most important reason is I have a lot of work.

The only thing we can do right now is wait and see what the Pattons learn when they go to Catavina in May and do their own search. What is in the 4 Runner will tell us so much more.

When they do go in May and the rancher is not there then how will know exactly where the vehicle was found abandoned and do their own search?

keep the faith for now…….
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 02:22 PM

Yes Lizard thanks hopefully the Pattons will go to the area before the rancher gets back but I realize with your busy schedule you cannot go there right now. In any case the Mexican police will not release property to anyone except the family. Well hopefully the Pattons will post all the pictures once they get full control of the camera and chips. So no one will know if the monument that was posted was the actual one Gary took and possibly stopped by the site until it is recognized by others here that know the area like Taco de Baja and Mexitron and David K. Assuming the rancher did a cursory check around the vehicle and found nothing maybe the pictures will lead to something.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 06:49 PM

We know Gary personally from an earlier trip to our B&B but I have no idea whether he would camp that remotely or not.

Happy Easter Gary and Family. Wish you the best of luck in May.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 09:10 PM
Resource

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Hey.........is anyone going to bring up the use of Cadaver Dogs........?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vodrazka-610386-riggs-sea...

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 11:03 PM

Thanks BajaBlanca- I had thought that you mentioned that Gary had stayed at your place and thought maybe you had some knowledge of if he liked to camp remotely etc. In addition to being soft if sand gets wet (ie rain) it can become slicker than ice so I can understand how one could easily get stuck. It just seems so odd that nobody saw the truck for 6 months and of course the rancher's assertion that the truck only recently appeared. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe LL, who is the only one that has spoken in person to that rancher, believes him.)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2014 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Hey.........is anyone going to bring up the use of Cadaver Dogs........?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vodrazka-610386-riggs-sea...

And, here I thought nobody listened to me. :lol:

Thanks, Terry.

SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 08:36 PM

Nomads: Yes, the family would consider canine assistance but it is quite doubtful we could ask American service companies to travel 12+ hours one-way into Baja, where there is no cell service and primitive accommodations. If you have any line on Mexican canine services such as this, please share.

R: Photo taken of the trucker monument was nearly identical to the one posted here, but from a slightly closer proximity according to my son, so Gary clearly pulled off the road to take the photo. All dates indicate he traveled at least this far on Sept 5th, the day he checked out of Jardinis. However, he could've taken a number of westward exits off the highway to/from coastal roads and parked /camped for extended periods of time before getting to the last known location near Arroyo- San Jose.
The photo is on Page 85, posted by David K. on April 18.
It is curious that Mama Espinoza's had no recollection of him nor the gas station near there because he surely would've stopped on his way down. However, by the time the family initiated the search w/the nomads doing extensive inquiring about Gary, may be they just didn't recall him this time.

Thank you to whomever posted Robert Frost poem, it was familiar and very touching... sadly sounding true.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
Nomads: Yes, the family would consider canine assistance but it is quite doubtful we could ask American service companies to travel 12+ hours one-way into Baja, where there is no cell service and primitive accommodations. If you have any line on Mexican canine services such as this, please share.

I believe that the lady and dog mentioned in this article are volunteers. You might reach out to her and her organization:

Su Vodrazka
Search Dog Foundation
501 East Ojai Avenue
Ojai,California 93023

(888) 459-4376
(805) 640-1848Fax

www.searchdogfoundation.org

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 10:15 PM

Rescue dogs are known in Spanish as perros adiestrados rescate
(trained dogs for rescue" or similarly, cadaver dogs, are known as "perros adiestrados busquedan por los restos" or dogs trained to look for remains. There are many articles on Google that are written about the Federal Police in Mexico in their scientific division that use the dogs for searches. Unfortunately many articles are in Spanish but when I return to Mexico this weekend I will go over to the PGR and ask them if they have any in the area of San Quintin.
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

R: Photo taken of the trucker monument was nearly identical to the one posted here, but from a slightly closer proximity according to my son, so Gary clearly pulled off the road to take the photo. All dates indicate he traveled at least this far on Sept 5th, the day he checked out of Jardinis. However, he could've taken a number of westward exits off the highway to/from coastal roads and parked /camped for extended periods of time before getting to the last known location near Arroyo- San Jose.
The photo is on Page 85, posted by David K. on April 18.
It is curious that Mama Espinoza's had no recollection of him nor the gas station near there because he surely would've stopped on his way down. However, by the time the family initiated the search w/the nomads doing extensive inquiring about Gary, may be they just didn't recall him this time.

Thank you to whomever posted Robert Frost poem, it was familiar and very touching... sadly sounding true.

[Edited on 4-24-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2014 at 11:59 PM

You do realize that the truck was found over 100 miles from San Quintin...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 02:06 AM

Well David, maybe you know something I don't. Mama Espinoza's I don't believe has a Canine training unit on its prenises in a town closer, such as El Rosario and Catavina has a Mayberry police station with a one man operation but maybe he has Rin Tin Tin in his backyard. I doubt even San Quintin has a unit like this but it's a heck of a lot closer than the United States where it was suggested to the family to bring a dog from. The whole idea doesn't seem feasible But since I am no expert on this area maybe you can suggest something. Maybe the Rancher has a cadaver dog on his property?? That would be even closer to the truck.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You do realize that the truck was found over 100 miles from San Quintin...?

[Edited on 4-24-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 02:25 AM

Very close to the turnoff where the truck was found? About half way from San Quintin to BOLA? A good place to stretch your legs. Which brings us to another question, about 2 or 3 hours or so into the trip Gary decides to turn off and camp for the day after driving only a few hours?
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Between Kms 116 and 117 (37 miles south from El Rosario's Pemex station).

Right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/VeQ8d
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 03:12 AM

I followed the road southeast a few miles on Google maps and the first place I came to was Rancho Descanso. Looks like it had a sign for food and gas. Here is the link to the area maybe someone knows it or can map it in relation to the turnoff and don't know if anyone checked for Gary there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.05151,-115.300655,3a,75y,90t...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Here is the link to the area
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.05151,-115.300655,3a,75y,90t...

http://tinyurl.com/llztrjr

mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 07:16 AM

I believe cadaver dogs are used to locate people trapped in somewhat confined places such as collapsed buildings and mud slides as just happened in the state of Washington. Gary's search would more seem like a "bloodhound" type operation and with the amount of time that has passed the trail may have as they say...gone cold.
latina
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 07:49 AM

On the subject of dogs....have you ever taken a dog out into the desert? They cannot walk a few steps without getting cactus needles or burrs stuck in their paws...which stops them in their tracks, and would render them useless at covering a huge undetermined search area.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2014 at 08:18 AM

Latina- you are correct. We did purchase some leather booties for our dogs (in Alaska)that were meant to protect paws from the cold weather but they worked well in Arizona to protect from the extreme sidewalk temps and in Baja to help save the feet from getting stuck.
 Pages:  1  ..  84    86    88  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.