Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
The newest First Nations gas stations up here are installing EV DC fast charging stations at up to 150kw and fast food outlets at the same locations. They charge twice(or more in my max 50kW charge rate) the going rate for power (significantly better profits than the 5% they make on gas sales) and you can boost even a very large F-150 Lightning EV by 50% within 1/2 hour, about the time to take a long break for a travel meal.

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by JDCanuck]

1/2 hour for 50% charge.... yikes
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
The newest First Nations gas stations up here are installing EV DC fast charging stations at up to 150kw and fast food outlets at the same locations. They charge twice(or more in my max 50kW charge rate) the going rate for power (significantly better profits than the 5% they make on gas sales) and you can boost even a very large F-150 Lightning EV by 50% within 1/2 hour, about the time to take a long break for a travel meal.

$5/gal fuel and under 20 mpg is a bigger yikes!

Let’s say you can save $100 bucks on a fill up, an hour spent charging pays $100/hr. Not to mention the good vibes of decreased carbon footprint…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 08:11 AM

I understand the newest Tesla Superchargers will charge the Cybertruck at almost 2 1/2 times that 150kw rate. The largest Ford Lightning battery is close to 200 kwh or over 3 times my 62kwh battery, so times will drop well below that for a typical 72 kwh Tesla battery (less than 10 min) Divide 250 by 36 for typical Teslas now on the road to arrive at their time at the present. Tesla Superchargers now at 250kw and its under 10 min. Technology is improving so fast anything built 5 years ago is already obsolete by newest standards. Batteries are far more robust and can take much higher charge rates at the same time the fast chargers are increasing their power delivery rates.
Fortunately, the First Nations 150kw chargers will also charge my slower CHAdeMO DC charge at a somewhat slower rate, so I can still use the fast DC chargers when I need to. The newest DC standards are not compatible with my DC charger and I will have to search for an adapter that will allow me to use them if I continue to take longer trips over 200 miles

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 08:42 AM

Here is a link to info on the newest V4 Tesla Supercharger at 350kw charging rates presently being installed in Europe for the past year. Note the article mentions 600 kw limit chargers have been seen over there as well.
https://electrek.co/2023/07/26/tesla-confirms-supercharger-v...

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 09:12 AM

Obviously, @TioLoco is NOT keeping up with the newest technology. C'mon amigo, keep up or get lost in the dust of ignorance!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

Obviously, @TioLoco is NOT keeping up with the newest technology. C'mon amigo, keep up or get lost in the dust of ignorance!

Obviously you didn't read the post I commented on. And my diesel fill ups take 2 minutes.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

$5/gal fuel and under 20 mpg is a bigger yikes!

Let’s say you can save $100 bucks on a fill up, an hour spent charging pays $100/hr. Not to mention the good vibes of decreased carbon footprint…

Your decreased carbon footprint comment is very misleading at best.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
I was just looking at the Tesla internet site last night, out of curiosity. Their least expensive model right now is the Model 3. I can order it with as much as 341 miles range. I figure if I wait for another couple of years, the range will be well over 400 miles with the new battery technology that is being introduced and prices will continue to fall. So, I am happy with my current BEV (paid for) which still works great but with a lower range capability which is not an issue almost anywhere in the US (it is an issue in Baja).

The Tesla model 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth even with the upgrades they have made. Same with my 2019 Leaf which has not had significant upgrades til now. By even 5 years from now the advances if they continue at the same rate will surprise us.
I remain convinced by then Solid State batteries will be common, promising much faster charge times, enhanced durability and range and far lighter.
Who knows how fast the latest chargers will be by then, if 600kw is now available. In 2019 50-100 kw DC charging was deemed very fast.
Nio in China had a scheme where you pulled into a station to swap your leased battery in 3 min. This meant you never had to worry about your battery degradation or replacement costs. Tesla and Ford considered the same but backed out. Making the manufacturer responsible for recycling has long been a European point of view.
Heres the info from this year:
https://hbr.org/2024/05/how-one-chinese-ev-company-made-batt...

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 10:21 AM

I just went 0 to 60mph in a bit over 4 seconds in a Tesla. Even the oldest tech archaic grumpy fook would have to be impressed
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I just went 0 to 60mph in a bit over 4 seconds in a Tesla. Even the oldest tech archaic grumpy fook would have to be impressed

If I floor my leaf, the alternating slippage at the drive wheels from the traction control gets a bit hairy, so I keep the accelerator to a decent limit. I can't complain about the acceleration onto freeways with even moderate pedal action.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 10:38 AM

I've never stayed at an airbnb or a hotel that charged extra for AC in very hot climates or a bathroom with basic necessities like soap and toilet paper, but I won't stay at one where they aren't included. Of course they would be an extra expense to the owner, but i assume they get far more rentals if provided at a given price than one that doesn't.

I think you missed my point. Of course Airbnbs and hotels don't charge extra for soap and toilet paper or utilities or Wifi, etc. Like any business, income and expenses are calculated to arrive at the cost to consumer. If expenses go up, the business owner will need to raise the price to their clients to maintain the same profit level. So just because you aren't charged separately for each expense doesn't mean it is being provided to you for free, just because it advertises "Free Wifi" or "Free EV charging". It is factored in to what you pay in total.

Yes, it is often less expensive to get a hotel room than an Airbnb or a traditional bed and breakfast. There are several reasons for that. Many Airbnbs have a full kitchen, or at least a kitchenette where you can prepare simple meals, as opposed to just a coffee maker and a microwave. It may have a private pool. The Airbnb may have a yard you can hang out in, and if a bunch of guests are travelling together, they can all hang out together in a two or three bedroom house, cook meals together, instead of just having rooms in a hotel.

Also, the individual expenses for hotels are cheaper, because they can buy in massive bulk. And they have cleaning staff that are there all day and get paid minimum wage, whereas scheduling cleaners for an Airbnb is more complicated, and most hosts try to be good to their cleaners and pay them more than they would earn as a hotel cleaner.

So if you are just stopping somewhere for the night, a hotel room may indeed be the better choice, but if you are staying somewhere for longer, you may want the extra amenities and space that many short term rentals offer.

A friend of mine in Canada created an Airbnb suite in her funky old house. It has a large living room, with a kitchenette in the corner, a bedroom and bathroom.
One of her guests arrived in a brand new Tesla. When she greeted him at the door and saw his wheels, she said jokingly, "Jeez man, why'd you book my place- there's upscale hotels in town, ya know". He laughed and said he travels a lot on business and prefers to stay in places that feel homey rather than endless generic hotel rooms.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 11:16 AM

When we first started staying in bed and breakfasts, the common benefit was the custom breakfast served by the host along with some local input of places to go, things to see, etc. This we enjoyed immensely. Now tho, its far more common to arrive and have facilities equal to or less than the hotel would provide once you actually see it in person and realize what you were shown on pictures was far better than what you actually receive, with next to no contact with anyone to get the hot water working for instance, except by text which may be a long time coming.
Now its the hotels that provide the breakfasts along with personal contact, sometimes concierge services as well.
We do on occasion still find the odd BandB where there is actually someone on site to ask about local places. Maybe 1 in 5 has this, the rest give you directions to a lockbox to let yourself in by text and that's it.
I liked it better when Bed and Breakfasts were what they called themselves, but of course that's just me

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 11:38 AM

And my diesel fill ups take 2 minutes.

The problem is the damage you do to the environment with that 2 minute "fill up." And that 2 minutes costs you how much? $50+ ?
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 11:41 AM

Your decreased carbon footprint comment is very misleading at best.

How is that misleading....even at worst?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 11:45 AM

Yes, Airbnb got big and greedy and now the platform is full of investors (who only are interested in their profits) and big property management companies with thousands of listings.

There are still lots of Airbnbs that are run by individuals who give personalized attention to their guests, are a wealth of information about local events, places of interest, good places to eat and shop, and actually enjoy meeting people from all over. You just have to spend some time looking for them.

And in some places, like British Columbia, local regulations have cracked down on the "investor hosts" in areas with populations over 10,000 and only on-site-hosts whose listing is in their principal residence (either in their home where they live, or a separate dwelling on their property) are allowed to have short term rentals (there are some exceptions, like mountain resort towns whose entire economy revolves around tourism).

There are many places around the world that have these types of regs, which are becoming more common. Both to address a lack of available long term housing for locals, and because many of these impersonal rentals are a bane to neighborhoods, with so-called "hosts" who live elsewhere, a constant stream of strangers coming and going, sometimes partying and disturbing the neighbors.

But places like Cabo, and other areas whose economy is dependent on tourism are unlikely to bring in regulations like this.

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by surabi]
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Yes, I asked myself that question, why do I need a car that fast, when I bought the slowest model. Well, my attitude has changed when I found how easy it is to merge into traffic on the freeway or passing a car faster than you can even think about it. My slowest model will snap your head into the headrest if you need to "punch it."

To complicate things, I have one of those "self-driving" models. Despite what you read about all the problems with this new technology (and the reports are true for the most part) I LOVE the technology and use it safely every time I drive because I know what its limitations are. It has certainly improved over the years and over the air updates are at no additional cost. In my opinion, all cars in the future will be "self-driving" alternative fuel vehicles to reduce impact on the environment.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Yes, Airbnb got big and greedy and now the platform is full of investors (who only are interested in their profits) and big property management companies with thousands of listings.

There are still lots of Airbnbs that are run by individuals who give personalized attention to their guests, are a wealth of information about local events, places of interest, good places to eat and shop, and actually enjoy meeting people from all over. You just have to spend some time looking for them.

And in some places, like British Columbia, local regulations have cracked down on the "investor hosts" in areas with populations over 10,000 and only on-site-hosts whose listing is in their principal residence (either in their home where they live, or a separate dwelling on their property) are allowed to have short term rentals (there are some exceptions, like mountain resort towns whose entire economy revolves around tourism).

There are many places around the world that have these types of regs, which are becoming more common. Both to address a lack of available long term housing for locals, and because many of these impersonal rentals are a bane to neighborhoods, with so-called "hosts" who live elsewhere, a constant stream of strangers coming and going, sometimes partying and disturbing the neighbors.

But places like Cabo, and other areas whose economy is dependent on tourism are unlikely to bring in regulations like this.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 12:02 PM

Manufacture of batteries has to be compared to total manufacture of engines and all the additional drive train elements that go with it. Are engines and all the additional elements 95% recyclable as the batteries are? Once you strip all the drive components out, there is little difference in recycling the rest of the vehicle.
But this has all been calculated by those who are pushing the switch to EVs for environmental reasons.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 12:19 PM

Manufacture of batteries has to be compared to total manufacture of engines and all the additional drive train elements that go with it. Are engines and all the additional elements 95% recyclable as the batteries are? Once you strip all the drive components out, there is little difference in recycling the rest of the vehicle.
But this has all been calculated by those who are pushing the switch to EVs for environmental reasons.

My 6 y.o. car looks like new with 70K miles on it. If you take care of your vehicle, whether BEV or ICE, there is little difference in the non-drive train components. The biggest difference between the two technologies is the drive train. In terms of recycling the components, BEVs are far more environmentally friendly.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2024 at 12:28 PM

Some claim the extra weight has to cause faster brake wear. Since I seldom use the brake pedal at all, I question that one. 95% of my braking is done by battery regeneration as soon as i take my foot off the accelerator.

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.