Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 08:09 PM

Yes, there's a history of people logging on to Nomad asking for help finding missing family members.

I'm sure that a family with a missing loved one is stressed out.
Also, they're not active members on this Board and don't know us any more than we them.

Tensions can run high at times like this.

We don't know what's going on, but we're compelled to do what we think is the right thing given the facts we've been given. Nomads have always stepped up, no matter what the circumstances of the disappearance and no matter the outcome. It's what we do.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVPatton
You also made it very clear you are important, busy and yes would charge $10,000

I don't believe this. Paste it up here so we don't have to question your credibility for anything else.....past or future.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 08:56 PM

These folks are hurting and desperate, Just because they are not doing what we think they should or not does not give us the right to pile on. I think the area we should be checking out is SQ to the boarder. I sounds like he was heading home. LVPatton I hope I have somebody like you when I'm MIA.
Goat please climb back under your rock, You've not gone south in how long?? You are a but thead!!!!! I am beginning to dream of a one track in remote Baja.:lol::lol::lol:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-19-2013 at 11:04 PM

This type of back-and-forth seems to happen with EVERY missing persons thread....some folks try to sincerely help....some accuse the "victim"....some get off on their techno-gizmo tangents...and others just get weird....:?::?::?:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 04:26 AM

Something seems very odd with this entire situation....
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 09:10 AM
Actions speak louder than words!

Lizard Lips. You say your brother in law in Ensenada owns the largest tow facility in the city and is contracted by the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) to tow for them. You have told us you do not want to be paid. AS A NOMAD COURTESY, HAVE YOU CONTACTED HIM? Please let us know.

If it were my relative, I would use every tool available as fast as possible. And using a plane is simply one more tool—and a very efficient one. We don't know from the family if money is a factor or not. There are private planes flying down the peninsula regularly. If they knew to be on the lookout, many of them would be happy to go the extra mile to do so. Aeromedicos has 8-12 planes that go to Serenidad/Mulege and Cadeje/San Juanico almost every month, for example. Their next trip is Oct. 18-20.

Gary Patton has been missing now for more than two weeks. By now it is safe to assume something unfortunate has happened to prevent him from contacting his family.

We are driving to Loreto next Thursday and will do all we can to scout the roadside.

It would be nice to know exactly what the family has been able to do, to date.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
".......And using a plane is simply one more tool—and a very efficient one.........

Marla....yes, an aircraft is a very efficient tool.........HOWEVER

You need the right type of aircraft, and you need a QUALIFIED pilot and observers/scanners that have flown SAR missions and know what they are doing. The pilot HAS to keep his head in the c-ckpit and looking straight ahead. The observers/scanners are the ones who have to look.............and if you are not trained, finding an object on the ground from a safe altitude is not easy.

I speak from 15 years as a current Civil Air Patrol member and also a qualifies Observer/Scanner.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
This type of back-and-forth seems to happen with EVERY missing persons thread....some folks try to sincerely help....some accuse the "victim"....some get off on their techno-gizmo tangents...and others just get weird....:?::?::?:

That "blaming the victim" is endemic here in Utardia.....and the longer a situation like this goes on, the more convoluted it gets....I always hope for a clean and quick resolution.....sorry to hear it hasn't happened.....still hold hope that it will....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:17 AM

I for one found Lizard's post really informative; I wouldn't have thought to take those actions when looking for a missing person down there. Like everyone else, I hope that Gary Patton is found in good shape (people do go down to Baja to get away from everything and hopefully that's the case with him). I appreciate Lizard taking the time to post the information for the rest of us to consider if we're ever in this situation.
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 02:05 PM

Baja Guy—

Although I am not trained in Search and Rescue operations, I will always believe in the power of SAR by plane and helicopter. In October 1987 my brother was lost at sea 60 miles off shore on an urchin boat that sank at 6:30 in the evening. By the time family was notified the next morning, the Coast Guard said there was no hope—that nothing more could be done. Regardless, I chartered a fish spotting plane (with dye markers); a twin Britten Norman Islander, and a Bell Long Ranger helicopter, and all 3 were in the air by 10:00 A.M. armed with nothing but binoculars and hope. At exactly noon, we (brother, sister and brother-in-law) in the separate planes found the flotsam of the vessel, along with two of the three who had been aboard—alive and still treading water after 16-1/2 hours—including my brother. Green dye markers were thrown, and Coast Guard flew out a helicopter for a water rescue, which we watched as we circled in the air. THAT was a good day!

Sometimes miracles need a little assistance. We all hope Gary Patton will be found.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 02:19 PM

Searching all of northwestern Baja by plane would take weeks, cost many thousands of dollars, and would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. It would make more sense if there was more than a vague idea of where he was headed. Seeing as how no one seems to know if this guy was heading north or south when he was last seen, where would a plane search even start? Marla, in your brother's case, you at least had some idea as where his boat sunk, this is a completely different situation.

[Edited on 9-21-2013 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 07:39 PM

The police n Abreojos are actively canvassing people, they even went out to Campo Rene. our friends who have been in C R have not seen Gary.

There is a lot of good information here, lets focus on the positive.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 08:59 PM

Blanca...could you find out if he maybe participated in the Abreojos fishing tournament? Here all the entrants are on a list...any way to check that list? I wonder if Manuel arrived in GN today as planned and if they are going out to Abre?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:01 AM

Soul Patch—You are absolutely correct. We did whatever was necessary when it meant even a remote chance of saving my brother's life. I didn't ask the cost. As it turned out, all three air-participants were so happy with our successful mission, that none of the three: Aspen Helicopters, Channel Islands Aviation, nor the private fish-spotter charged us—even for fuel.

I don't want to hijack this thread. My point in bringing up Aeromedicos, Baja Bush Pilots and Flying Sams, is that there are people who can help with planes if they know Gary Patton is missing and may have gone off the road. It is an efficient use of available resources at no cost.

Lizard Lips made many extremely valuable suggestions as well. Not knowing is the worst part of an emotional ordeal like this.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:09 AM

given the time passed, his age, and his being solo and planning to be in remote areas,... chances are he is incapacitated in the boonies. airsearch is best option. air search along his probable route. perhaps car is just broken down? perhaps he/car are in a ravine along the road.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:23 AM

Shari, good point. I will try to find out if he was in the tournament.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:32 AM

It is not looking good unless he chose to disappear.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:54 AM

Does the man have medical issues? Psychological aberrations perhaps? If we're trying to think like he thinks, that may be a problem.

I've asked this before and got nothing.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 09:17 AM

It appears the concerned family/friends have withdrawn from participation here.
Absent of current news and developments, I suggest we do the same. This could deteriorate to a snipe hunt and we wouldn't know it.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 09:25 AM

As far as I know, he is of sound mind ... He does have some health issues, I am not sure what.

He did NOT fish in the Abreojos tournament.

His name has been sent to Red Cross.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.