Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
someone gimme a fork so I can jam it in my eyes. round and round, back and forth......

I need to get a life. this is becoming (more) ridiburrous!

Exactly, LOL
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 10:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The big difference between (some) conservatives and (some) progressives (liberals) is that one side doesn't tell you what you can do or not do with the science data, or how to live... bla bla bla
:light::cool:

you mean like a woman's right to choose?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
The big difference between (some) conservatives and (some) progressives (liberals) is that one side doesn't tell you what you can do or not do with the science data, or how to live... bla bla bla

or who one can marry?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-17-2015 at 11:56 PM

There are already laws against premeditated murder-------it's not a political question.

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 12:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

or who one can marry?

That's a State rights issue----------most Conservatives I know could care less if folks want to marry-----I know I don't. I never have been against "civil unions", but think the term "marriage" is the hangup----------however it is decided is of no importance to me.

Barry
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 12:23 AM

True. Civil rights is a "state" rights issue. If you want to have separate drinking fountains, eating establishments, and lack of voting rights well damn it, that is up to the "states"!

Luckily all of this is behind us.

Maybe a little history as to how Utah became a "state" might be in order...
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 08:33 AM

Water fountains and and eating establishments and voting rights was pushed forward by moderates on both sides.
Both sides have more them enough wrongs to go around.
Woody, you can have my fork, I'm done here.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 09:00 AM
ahhh

ca is out of water!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 09:08 AM
May I hijack the hijack?

Back to Motoged's question of how to handle limited water supplies (i think that was the point)
I use water as if I am in a motor home and don't want to refill the fresh water, or dump the tanks very often.
Rain is the only water my lawn gets.
I have even offered to shower with a friend, but there have been no takers lately.

Sheesh.......nine pages of what!

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 01:04 PM

AK,
My original posting wasn't as clear as to my concern as was my subsequent clarification....yes, I am wondering how Nomads manage their water supplies in Baja.

I would rather learn more about things like grey water systems, conservation, etc than this no-win us-them crap.

It appears some will politicize things to death with a limited binary view.....as Woody suggested: "Fork That".

I don't want to convert anyone's political views....as they are simply opinions....and you know what they say about that :biggrin:

Baja water supplies may be affected by any existing or future water supply shortages that are shared with California, Arizona and that part of North America....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Back to Motoged's question of how to handle limited water supplies (i think that was the point)
I use water as if I am in a motor home and don't want to refill the fresh water, or dump the tanks very often.
Rain is the only water my lawn gets.
I have even offered to shower with a friend, but there have been no takers lately.

Sheesh.......nine pages of what!

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by AKgringo]

To reduce your outside water consumption with out re-landscaping the entire yard to low water use, desert, or native plants...

1) Don't over-water... plants don't need as much as many people think. Some will even wait until the plants (or grass) "tells you" it needs water (by color change, wilting, etc. If you walk on your lawn and the blades of grass don't spring back up right away, then it needs water.

2) Replace your controller with one that changes automatically based on the weather. They are known as 'smart controllers'. It stops watering when it is raining too! If you don't switch, than at least reset your controller with each season or even monthly to water wisely!

3) Replace the wasteful spray sprinklers to MP Rotators, they use 1/3 less water and more water will get to the roots as it is applied at a much slower rate so the ground can easily absorb it.

4) Convert sprinklers to drip irrigation where more water hits walls and sidewalks than plant root zones. Drip applies the water very slowly and only where it is needed. Single emitters or emitterline, which is the tube/ hose with emitters factory installed inside every 12" to wet multiple shrubs, ground cover, around trees, etc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
AK,
My original posting wasn't as clear as to my concern as was my subsequent clarification....yes, I am wondering how Nomads manage their water supplies in Baja.

I would rather learn more about things like grey water systems, conservation, etc than this no-win us-them crap.

It appears some will politicize things to death with a limited binary view.....as Woody suggested: "Fork That".

I don't want to convert anyone's political views....as they are simply opinions....and you know what they say about that :biggrin:

Baja water supplies may be affected by any existing or future water supply shortages that are shared with California, Arizona and that part of North America....:light:

Good suggestions David.

All of our grey water is used for irrigation when we are at our place in Baja. We have learned to be judicious with our water use as the municipal water is often out and we rely on our tinacos.

We do have a drip system in place. Our neighbors waters once a week or so depending on the weather. As David said and I am learning, our plants don't need as much water as I once thought.

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 02:01 PM

3) Replace the wasteful spray sprinklers to MP Rotators, they use 1/3 less water and more water will get to the roots as it is applied at a much slower rate so the ground can easily absorb it.

Thanks David. This is good info. Are the Rotators available retail?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 02:39 PM

If you live in a desert, plant cactus, succulents, and other drought resistant desert plants that need little water.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 05:04 PM

All of our grey water is used for irrigation when we are at our place in Baja. We have learned to be judicious with our water use as the municipal water is often out and we rely on our tinacos.

I've asked several nomads this question:

Are veggies and fruits safe to eat after they've been watered with grey water?

[Edited on 2-19-2015 by Skipjack Joe]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  

Thanks David. This is good info. Are the Rotators available retail?

Yes, but you can buy them at the professional irrigation stores instead of Home Depot for more selection.

They have RainBird brand threads and if your 1800 RainBird or Hunter pop ups are in good shape and your pressure isn't too high, you can simply remove the spray nozzle and replace with an MP Rotator nozzle. However, if your pressure is high, or the pop up bodies are worn out, do replace them and use the Hunter Pro 4 with check valve and 40 psi regulation (MPR-40):

Google Hunter MP Rotators for more data.
(Rain Bird also makes a rotator nozzle, but it spins twice as fast, uses more water, and is a poor imitator in my opinion)

[Edited on 2-19-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

I've asked several nomads this question:

Are veggies and fruits safe to eat after they've been watered with grey water?

[Edited on 2-19-2015 by Skipjack Joe]
It's not a good idea to use grey water on vegetable crops because it can contain pathogenic bacteria. It's probably OK on fruit trees as long as the fruit isn't in contact with the soil or the grey water.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 05:59 PM

Believe it is still used in developing countries ... along with sewage sludge to make fertilizers here in the United States

With tolerance adopted ... for various components which are harmful to human health and the environment, in the United States

Just looked ... this is from the WHO via National Geo

"Nearly 200 million farmers in China, India, Vietnam, sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America harvest grains and vegetables from fields that use untreated human waste.

Ten percent of the world's population relies on such foods, according to the World Health Organization (WHO)."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080821-human...

In Germany, back in the 60s .. .they called them "Honey wagons" and were used for farming .. at the time

Hey, its organic :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-19-2015 by wessongroup]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 07:20 PM
Gray-water garden

If you go back a few pages to the Donner Summit snow/water chart, you will see that 1977 was the driest year in over a hundred years. At that time I was living in Grass Valley CA (same watershed) with a young family, and was a reader of Mother Earth News, and into raising our own food.
To do my part in that drought, I diverted the drains from the kitchen and laundry room to a home made filter/storage container. I had a valve connected to an irrigation system that was a combination of drip and soaker lines in our garden.
We were very careful about the cleaners we used, and what went down the line. If we needed to use heavy bleach, or de-greasers, we would put the washing machine discharge hose back in the city sewer line.
We had a fantastic garden that year, and no one got sick! The gray water went straight to the roots, and we could be sure of what our veggies were exposed to.
Gray water in the bathroom was captured as much as possible, and used to flush the toilet. I felt pretty good about our efforts that year!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 08:22 PM

Have any of you seen photos from the San Diego area 100 years ago or more? There are no trees here naturally other than some oaks in the creek beds above 1,000 feet. No golf courses, lawns, birds of paradise, oleanders, nada... Just some dry brush and cactus! Drought is NORMAL here... lot's of rain is abnormal. Every few years we have a real wet season, but most years we do not.

[Edited on 2-18-2015 by David K]

Other than blaming man for all these irresponsible over builds in environments that can't support these large populations I think you just answered the question of why you should be very concerned with the current situation. There is not enough water for our reckless water wasting lifestyles. We must adopt personal conservation efforts before we are forced to.
But all good things come to an end, we will be dead and leave our mistakes for our children to clean up :(
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.