Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tecate Cops Still At It
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 08:29 AM
Tecate Cops Still At It

Is the system of traffic cops and fines different in Baja, or are gringos just unaware of how it is supposed to work?

On the mainland, if you get stopped for a supposed infraction, and the cop tries to shake you down, you tell him to write you a ticket. The cop doesn't accompany you anywhere, and going to the courthouse to a judge isn't how it works. You go to the DMV with your ticket and pay the fine associated with the specific infraction. It's very straightforward and there's no funny business.

When they write the ticket, they take your driver's license, they turn it in to the DMV, which returns it to you when you pay the fine.

Of course, if you want to dispute the ticket, then I assume that would be a courthouse deal, but you would first go to the DMV, tell them you dispute the ticket, and they would tell you the process for that. But in most cases, it wouldn't be worth the time and hassle to dispute it.

Friend of mine, who understands little Spanish, got stopped for speeding (she was). The cop asked for her driver's license, started to write a ticket, and told her had to take her license, and she'd get it back when she paid the fine. She didn't understand that this is exactly how it works, was totally freaked out, and gave the transito 2000 pesos to give her back her license and let her go.

When I got a ticket for speeding, I took the ticket to the DMV, paid the 500 peso fine, and was given my license back.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 09:02 AM

When I moved to Arizona I intentionally kept my California license just in back of my new AZ license.
If I get this shakedown I intend to hand over the Cali license and bid it fond farewell.
Hopefully that is one "Get out of jail free" card in my deck.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

When I got a ticket for speeding,

:o Oh no, not our dear @Surabi! I would have thrown the book at you! :lol::lol::lol:
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 10:48 AM

When driving to Mexico, I usually take the Tecate crossing, going both ways. Even though it is a bit longer, it is less hassle than using Otay Mesa. Usually, the Mexicans on duty there just wave me through, even if I get the dreaded "red light" as they munch on a taco. I roll down my window and yell, "Buen Provecho". They smile and wave and it's a win-win for everyone. Going through Tecate with my California plates, south or north, is another issue! I ALWAYS drive slightly under the speed limit and come to a full stop at each stop sign, much to the anger of the local Mexicans, who blast through the stop signs at full speed! I have never been stopped by the police in Tecate for any reason on about 40 different occasions over the years, but I keep my head down and try to be inconspicuous!

I have never received a speeding ticket in my life, anywhere, because I am a speed limit driver (it is a defect in my personality :lol: ) Several years ago, I was stopped by a elderly Mexican man standing beside the road in a dark blue "uniform." This was at the "Y" south of La Paz to Todos. It was under construction for "improvements" and the bypass road was ungraded dirt. I was going about 15 mph on the bumpy dirt road. I asked the guy, "?Porque?". He said in Spanish he was giving me a ticket for "speeding" and the fine was USD 100 payable to him. Remember, this guy was standing beside the dirt road with no vehicle in sight! I rolled up my window and went on my way, while the guy was running behind me, in the dust and dirt, waving his arms! :lol: In hindsight, I'm sorry I didn't give him a few pesos for "creativity."

I LOVE MEXICO, NEVER A DULL MINUTE.

[Edited on 6-20-2024 by oxxo]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 12:48 PM

bottom line in Baja is that you are at the mercy of the authorities.

Harald Pietschmann
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 01:23 PM

I think it's the tourism sector in Mexico that can have the most influence on crooked cops targeting gringoes, especially in heavily tourist and expat locations. I'll bet if the Baja tourism dept. started getting inundated with reports of these bogus traffic infractions and shakedowns, things might start to change.
I know that in the Puerto Vallarta area, they have really cracked down on transitos targeting foreigners. I now see lots of Mexicans being pulled over and ticketed and seldom any gringos.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 03:36 PM

The Tecate cops are always busy shaking down tourist's for mordida. While driving through town with a vehicle that displays "turista with discretionary income", I have been frequently targeted. That occurs when I am driving a modified 4x4, roof rack, California plates, and/or loaded with kayaks, dirtbikes, etc. The motorcycle cops are the worst. They see me coming and start their U-turn, even prior to the soon-to-be alleged infraction! My luck is much better when driving an older model nondescript pickup, without toys.

Driving past the police station (just west of the new Walmart), it always feels like a gamble. The extortion ploy is always laughable to me. It goes something like: Police: "You can pay now or you will have to follow me to the police station." Me: "Let's go to the police station and I will pay there." Police: But it is very far and you will have to pay more at the police station." Me: "No, thank you. It is very close (as I state the exact distance and point). Police: "blah, blah, blah." Me: No, thank you, I am in no hurry. Let's go to the police station."

We repeat this cycle 2 or 3 more times. I maintain a composed, unhurried, friendly demeanor, but show mild annoyance that he is wasting our time, as if this could go on all day. My strategy is to make the police wait so long that they eventually give up and hunt for an easier target.

This strategy has been 100% effective in Tecate. The "request" or suggested fine was be $20 or $40 a few years ago. I hear more recent reports of $200+ demand as a starting price. Even extortion is subject to inflation!

Some tips: Do not have an unrestrained dog in the front of a vehicle. Do not have any type of pocket knife, even a tiny blade, on your person or anywhere within reach. Of course, no drugs or ammo or even a spent shell casing.

My personal tried-and-true favorite tips: If you are stopped, do not pull over into the shade. The sooner the officer gets uncomfortable in his dark uniform while standing in the sun "negotiating", the sooner he will move on to a more naive tourist.

Try to blend in with traffic/be invisible when there are two lanes in your direction. If a large truck happens to obscure the sight of your vehicle from one side of the highway or the other, you have effectively reduced being noticed by almost 50%. You don't want to be the standout RV, a lone target for the cops.

I try to maintain a sense of humor about the unofficial "tourist tax" in Mexico. One time, I amused myself with a successful lie: "Oh, I'm so sorry, but I paid all of my money to the police officer on the other side of Tecate."
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 05:36 PM

Tecate has definitely been the biggest stop for shake downs I've seen in Baja.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 05:39 PM

What I meant by "how it works" and my question is I see the folks here saying the cops say you'll have to go to the police station, so I'm wondering if there are no DMV offices in Baja? Because on the mainland, you don't deal with traffic tickets at the police station or the courthouse, you go to the DMV office. Which is the same place you go to get a Mexican driver's license and to pay for your yearly registration if you have a Mexican-plated vehicle. It's a separate entity from the state or municipal or federal police offices.

[Edited on 6-21-2024 by surabi]
stillnbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 06:32 PM

I can only speak for Tijuana/Rosarito/ensenada but tickets given in these cities can be paid in the u.s. with mailed check or money order. "supposedly" in Rosarito police now carry electronic terminals to pay fines directly on the spot.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2024 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
so I'm wondering if there are no DMV offices in Baja?

Yes @Surabi, there is a "dmv" office in Los Cabos, north of San Lucas on the road to Todos. I received a ticket once in San Lucas for parking the wrong way on an UNMARKED one way street. Mexican plated cars were parked in both directions but my California plated car was the only vehicle ticketed on that street. My plates were removed and the instructions on the ticket said to go to the "dmv" office within a week to pay my fine and collect my plates, which I did. They "threw the book at me" and charged me USD 10 for illegal parking, which I paid,:saint: and they returned my plates. I wasn't going to dispute $10 because it was an interesting and actually a fun experience. NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MEXICO!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2024 at 02:12 PM

My favorite "go to the station" story was years ago, coming up the free road in La Gloria, Sunday morning early.
Got pulled over for missing stop sign (Never saw one, but oh well)
Followed him to the station just up the road.
Went in and a grizzled old guy was mopping the floor.
Cop introduced me, the old guy parked his swab in the corner,
went to a coat rack, fetched his chief's hat and jacket and we had quick court.
I seem to remember it was less than ten bucks
He wrote out an elaborate ticket, and receipt.
Listed my middle name as last,
Shook hands and done.

I think the real infraction was "DAP" (Driving a Porsche)
I was driving a 911 which apparently is a pretty rare thing in La Gloria
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 05:48 AM

I've always read that you pay traffic tickets at the police station. This is the first time I've read that you actually pay at the DMV. Maybe some places are different, idk. I'm guessing the ticket would say where to pay the fine at?

Never had a ticket in Mexico (or anywhere for that matter), but I always follow the speed limit when driving through any town in North America. Small towns and cities are known for having Barney Fife's that prey on unsuspecting drivers. As for Mexico it seems like border towns and resort cities are by far the worst when it comes to bribery because they can prey on ignorant Americans that don't know the system. Sonoyta is really bad for example.

[Edited on 7-5-2024 by US 41]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
bottom line in Baja is that you are at the mercy of the authorities.

That's the case everywhere.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 02:33 PM

While it has not happened to me in the dozen times I have crossed the border at Tecate in the last couple of years, I do know someone who got the old shakedown there about two years ago. This was an older woman, full time resident of Baja in the Punta Banda area. She was with an older man. She said the cop was pretty intimidating and threatened to arrest them if they did not pay the mordita. I think they had an unsecured dog.

Personally, I am glad I live in the US where the police are relatively honest. People in the "defund the police" movement should try living in Mexico for a while, where crime is rampant, and criminals walk the streets with impunity. Then they would appreciate the work that the police here have to do, day in and day out.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
While it has not happened to me in the dozen times I have crossed the border at Tecate in the last couple of years, I do know someone who got the old shakedown there about two years ago. This was an older woman, full time resident of Baja in the Punta Banda area. She was with an older man. She said the cop was pretty intimidating and threatened to arrest them if they did not pay the mordita. I think they had an unsecured dog.

Personally, I am glad I live in the US where the police are relatively honest. People in the "defund the police" movement should try living in Mexico for a while, where crime is rampant, and criminals walk the streets with impunity. Then they would appreciate the work that the police here have to do, day in and day out.

+1
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2024 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
The Tecate cops are always busy shaking down tourist's for mordida. While driving through town with a vehicle that displays "turista with discretionary income", I have been frequently targeted. That occurs when I am driving a modified 4x4, roof rack, California plates, and/or loaded with kayaks, dirtbikes, etc. The motorcycle cops are the worst. They see me coming and start their U-turn, even prior to the soon-to-be alleged infraction! My luck is much better when driving an older model nondescript pickup, without toys.

Driving past the police station (just west of the new Walmart), it always feels like a gamble. The extortion ploy is always laughable to me. It goes something like: Police: "You can pay now or you will have to follow me to the police station." Me: "Let's go to the police station and I will pay there." Police: But it is very far and you will have to pay more at the police station." Me: "No, thank you. It is very close (as I state the exact distance and point). Police: "blah, blah, blah." Me: No, thank you, I am in no hurry. Let's go to the police station."

We repeat this cycle 2 or 3 more times. I maintain a composed, unhurried, friendly demeanor, but show mild annoyance that he is wasting our time, as if this could go on all day. My strategy is to make the police wait so long that they eventually give up and hunt for an easier target.

This strategy has been 100% effective in Tecate. The "request" or suggested fine was be $20 or $40 a few years ago. I hear more recent reports of $200+ demand as a starting price. Even extortion is subject to inflation!

Some tips: Do not have an unrestrained dog in the front of a vehicle. Do not have any type of pocket knife, even a tiny blade, on your person or anywhere within reach. Of course, no drugs or ammo or even a spent shell casing.

My personal tried-and-true favorite tips: If you are stopped, do not pull over into the shade. The sooner the officer gets uncomfortable in his dark uniform while standing in the sun "negotiating", the sooner he will move on to a more naive tourist.

Try to blend in with traffic/be invisible when there are two lanes in your direction. If a large truck happens to obscure the sight of your vehicle from one side of the highway or the other, you have effectively reduced being noticed by almost 50%. You don't want to be the standout RV, a lone target for the cops.

I try to maintain a sense of humor about the unofficial "tourist tax" in Mexico. One time, I amused myself with a successful lie: "Oh, I'm so sorry, but I paid all of my money to the police officer on the other side of Tecate."
Great advice but I would add one more tip " don't make eye contact with the cop. I spend most of my time driving around La Paz where most of the police force is on foot. To stop you all they can do is blow a whistle, if they can't get my attention, they can't expect me to stop"

In Memory of E-57
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2024 at 11:08 AM

Tecate has lost its luster for me
When I leave Guadalupe it is an easy run up there
Living in California meant going across town and waiting in line, then on up to San Diego
Now I live in Phoenix and it is a quick right turn onto the Carreterra and avoiding all the "stuff" in town
Sad.... because we always stopped for a bite to eat, top off with gas, maybe wander around the town square.
But the cop situation now makes the right turn decision an easy one
No more hidden altos signs
No more lurking cop cars
Too bad that they do now have a Chamber of Commerce who could get the message that folks do not want to hang around there any more.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2024 at 04:16 PM

Thank you for saying that, Surabi. That post of mine got quoted, but I do agree that there should be some efforts made to address some of the societal issues that result in criminal activity to try and reduce the reliance on mass incarceration. Of course, the devil is in the details. I heard somewhere that the most effective deterrent to crime is not the severity of the consequences, but the certainty that there will be consequences.

Also don't want to bash Mexico, we all love the place.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2024 at 11:09 AM

Here's a story that was posted from somewhere else a few years ago. I don't recall all the details.

Old couple driving a pickup through Tecate stopped by cops. Guy had a pocket knife on center console that cop saw and confiscated.

Think the cop wanted to settle things on the street, old guy wanted to pay a fine at the station.

At the station, cop played hard ball. Stated they would impound the truck (and possibly arrest them) unless they payed the fine -- probably for a bigger amount.

Guess they paid the fine to get out of there.

My opinion: leverage is lost at the police station. There are more cops there and gringo will be outnumbered.

''Fine'' may or may not be the same stated on the street -- ''judge'' will break out a chalk board with fines/amounts listed. That's that. Pay the fine or be in trouble.

Only the naive and inexperienced believe they will receive justice at any police station.

Learn to negotiate with cops and have a happier ending if stopped.

Anyone remember this story?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.