Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I was roobed by the Mexicali Police July 11th
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-12-2024 at 02:35 PM
I was roobed by the Mexicali Police July 11th

I was robbed yesterday July 11th by a team of 3 Mexicali Poliice.
They “Lit me up” a few minutes after I crossed the border heading south.

I was told it was a “normal gun and drug check”.
They had me show my license and registration and get out and stand at the rear of the truck to ask me a few questions.

I opened the passenger door to get the registration out of the glove box.
While I was talking to the “lead cop” the lady cop looked in the front… its was fast…maybe 3 min before I went up to watch her go thru the stuff. In that time she got into my computer bag got some emergency money I had in a black bag all zipped up… She took it then zipped it all back up.

I got to the front to watch her as she started “the official” search.
Abut 5 minutes more and they said all was good and drove off.

They stole my emergency cash,
Very fast professional thieves,

I am probably lucky they found the cash and didn’t plant a weapon or drugs to extort me.

Be careful…I travel up and down baja many times a year and this is the first time I’ve been robbed.
Bob Frambes

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2024 at 03:01 PM

Sorry to hear that. The mexicali cops have been committing crimes for past several years on the stretch of southbound road immediately south of mexicali west xing.
I have been pulled over twice for scam traffic violations in the first block or two south of the border.
Mexicali govt is corrupt to the core -- the cops have been doing this forever if local govt wanted to stop the crimes, they have had many years to do so.

The only way to beat the cops is (1) cross during daylight, (2) pull over near pedestrians or in a business parking lot, (3) video the cops, and tell the cops they are on video, and (4) be firm and confident in response to cops -- the cops are looking for people to be scared and roll over.
Also, never let a cop or military near your unlocked vehicle when you are not watching them.

[Edited on 7-12-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2024 at 03:57 PM

Man...and no way to prove this i guess. We were told to go to the Government office to report scams like this. Does that help at all?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2024 at 05:01 PM

I'll write the gov this weekend I think thats about all i can do at this point

I'm a businessman in BCS for 20 yrs now

Police corruption is unacceptable

I really think it could have been much worse if the corrupt cops had "planted" something while searching

Its always bad when you are taken advantage of

our website is:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 07:39 AM

That is terrible Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Twenty-odd years ago, we rescued Mexicali Police's Lieutenant Miranda's Cherokee from incoming tide in Laguna Percebu. He was so greatful and told us if we ever had a problem with Mexicali policemen, use his name.
Who knows what his rank is today or if he is still with the police?

[Edited on 7-13-2024 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 07:58 AM

Sorry to hear that. That is extremely frustrating.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 08:31 AM

How about velco-ing something like this inside tour rig? Get lit up and turn it on continuous recording using your phone’s cellular hotspot. 150 degree viewing angle. Not alot of info out there for this purpose but seems like it should work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTYB76JF/ref=vp_m_vp_dp_m_dex_ai...

[Edited on 7-13-2024 by woody with a view]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 09:26 AM

here is the problem other people had...

if they dont find anything they can plant a problem

like a pocket knife or a "reefer" to extort the tourist

these are professional bandits they come prepared

i wrote a letter to the governor... we'll see if she responds

our website is:
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 10:43 AM
Shame

Sorry to hear this from a very seasoned inhabitant of BCS. Post this on FB, Voice of Loreto, La Paz Gringos, All Things Cabo, Talk Baja, Mulege News, Mulege News Feed, IOverlander, any and all noticias sites. They hate the exposure and many eyeballs lead to clicks going viral. If enough folks b-tch they will be caught eventually.

Truly sucks and I suspect you are considering cameras in vehicle now.

Glad you are back at the beach and hope you can get to relaxing now.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 12:53 PM

Bob and Susan,
The only government entity that is likely to care is the Secretary of Tourism for BC. I believe the agency used to be called the Ministry of Tourism. Filing reports with them may have some beneficial impact.

Many years ago they were influential in the coastal tourist areas from Tijuana to Ensenada. It is bad for business to have police extorting bribes from tourists and harmful to the reputation of tourist destinations. An acquaintance, who is a department official, discussed how they work with businesses and local governments to keep the police in check.

Mexicali is not so dependent upon tourism, particularly in July - 120F there last week! I'm skeptical that any agency can exert control over the police in the BC State capitol.

Here is the link for reporting to the Secretary of Tourism for BC.
https://bajacalifornia.travel/assistance-078/

AUTHORITY ABUSE
If you feel you have been mistreated by any public official or authority applying the law, you can file a complaint with the State Secretariat of Tourism of Baja California. Please be sure to get the name of the person, agency, license and / or identification card number or patrol car as well as the place and time of the incident to report it immediately to our Toll Free Number Travel Information & Assistance 078 or the following email: assistance@baja.gob.mx

For Mexicali reporting:
Tel. (686) 566-1277 y 566-1116.
egmoreno@baja.gob.mx
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-13-2024 at 01:22 PM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I'll write the gov this weekend I think thats about all i can do at this point

I'm a businessman in BCS for 20 yrs now

Police corruption is unacceptable

I really think it could have been much worse if the corrupt cops had "planted" something while searching

Its always bad when you are taken advantage of

File your complaint everywhere. Cut and paste your story and complaint everywhere.
Here is mexicali sindicatura https://sindicaturamexicali.info/
Post the cops name and picture and your story on facebook talk baja and various mexicali FB pages.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 02:57 PM

https://bajacalifornia.travel/es/asistencia-al-turista-078/

"If you feel that you have been mistreated by any public official or law enforcement authority, you may file a complaint with the Baja California State Tourism Secretariat. Please be sure to obtain the name of the person, agency, license plate and/or identification card or patrol car number, as well as the place and time of the incident in order to immediately report it to our Tourist Information and Assistance Line 078 or to the following email: assistance@baja.gob.mx"

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 03:18 PM

That's awful and inexusable and you should definitely report it to the tourism secretariat. I would also report it to the US consulate in Tijuana. The consulates can exert pressure on the local Mex. govts. to deal appropriately with this crap.

I would never keep emergency cash in my vehicle- it's much safer to keep cash on your person. Not just for situations like this, but if you park somewhere and your car is broken into. And many travelers, all over the world, have had the experience of having money stolen from their hotel room or Airbnb.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2024 at 03:27 PM

I am all for reporting crimes committed by law enforcement. Nothing will change unless you report it and make a stink.
That said, mexican popo have been committing crimes against tourists forever, many thousands of complaints have been filed… they commit crimes with impunity, and i doubt MORE complaints will change things….
I do think social media has power to change things - video and picture and names posted to the internet is the best way to fight institutionalized crime organizations like the mexicali popo

Woke!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 08:08 AM

I will probably install a camera before my next trip and use my cell phone if I'm stopped. Never had a problem on my moto but I posted about being shaken down in November in route to the 1K start. I didn't give in and was let go, but having a team work you over is hard spot to be in.

We did a Cabo ride in April and a seventeen-year-old kid in our group took a wrong turn and by the time we found him a Tecate cop had taken the $300 dollars he had for going down a street the wrong way! The story is more involved but the gist is he went 50 feet the wrong way and turned around when he realized it, but it was to late. Local cop got him and pulled him down a side street and robbed him.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by advrider]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 09:00 AM

How much did you lose? $50? $500?

Assume that you're a seasoned traveler, but don't know for sure. If you are, but have never had a scam pulled, were you thinking that a computer bag was a safe place for cash?

There's a lesson from this experience. Wondering if you got it?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 10:38 AM

My question too Lee. Valuable stuff, passport, cash. Credit cards stay in my front pocket.
I've traveled to 57 countries, never robbed.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 01:29 PM

Sorry to read of your bad experience, Bob and Susan.

Without any way to prove what happened, it is your word against theirs. And, people do sometimes lie about cops (I saw a tv show once dedicated to this, people lying blatantly about what cops had done to them, then the police video showing what really happened. One instance was a woman accusing an officer of fondling her, but the video showed there was no physical contact at all). Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt about what you have reported being true and accurate. However, the cops will say something like: if you really did loose any money, your wife took it, the kids got it, the dog ate it, etc.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by cupcake]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2024 at 04:45 PM

If crooked police are intent on scamming or stealing from you, they will find a way. I agree with Bob, he was lucky they were bought off by stealing a bit of cash and not planting incriminating items to threaten to charge them with. Might be a good idea actually. Plant a bit of spare cash to get out as unmolested as possible.

The only real solution to this is to get the government to get serious about charging, shaming and firing the dirty cops. The vast majority of citizens I have met are extremely embarrassed by the corruption they know exists in their country and would be the first to support this.

[Edited on 7-14-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mrbogo

[*] posted on 7-15-2024 at 04:18 AM

Corruption is an unfortunate reality in some places. There were so many instances where those Mexicali cops were committing crimes. But sadly, you can't do anything. 
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.