Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2024 at 07:20 AM
Interesting

Found this video, it's a few years old, but some might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmSsZts94M

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2024 at 08:25 AM

La Cienega is south of San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora on the road to El Golfo de Santa Clara. A very interesting spot to check out the area between the Rio Hardy and the upper Sea of Cortez. There is a family that lives there that will give guided tours on small boats.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-21-2024 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
La Cienega is south of San Luis Rio Colorado

I passed through there at the end of March. I headed west toward Mex 5, zig-zagging through small towns, farm land and old river bottom land.

I didn't do any exploring, other than figuring out which of the roads that didn't show up on my GPS was the right one.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2024 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
La Cienega is south of San Luis Rio Colorado

I passed through there at the end of March. I headed west toward Mex 5, zig-zagging through small towns, farm land and old river bottom land.

I didn't do any exploring, other than figuring out which of the roads that didn't show up on my GPS was the right one.

There is a pretty big maze of dirt roads crossing back and forth in that area. And the levee road is a good one to have a long vantage point from.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2024 at 04:54 PM

La Cienega is south of San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora on the road to El Golfo de Santa Clara. A very interesting spot to check out the area between the Rio Hardy and the upper Sea of Cortez. There is a family that lives there that will give guided tours on small boats.

Will add this to my list of must visits....
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 12:38 PM

Thanks Advrider for the video. This is Nomad at its finest.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 12:47 PM

I remember a couple of plans presented a few years back to build a system of canals, and pipelines to divert water from the Mississippi basin over to the Colorado River drainage.

I can see a project like that causing multiple problems along the way, but wouldn't it be great to see the lower Colorado with a bit more water?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 04:39 PM

Yes, it would be nice to see the Colorado River Delta restored to a thriving wetland. Farmers, in general, are nice people, but each individual farmer will always take as much irrigation water as he / she can get. The cumulative effect of all of these individuals is that sometimes ALL of the water in the rivers is diverted to grow crops.

Thus, when you look at a satellite map of the Imperial / Mexicali Valley you see a luxuriant pattern of green squares where alfalfa, lettuce cotton, etc. is grown, and a brown bare desert that once was the delta of the Colorado River. The same is true for the San Joaquin River, once home to salmon, steamboats, and vast wetlands, now a tiny trickle below the Friant Dam that eventually peters out into a dry nothingness.

And yet, if any suggestion if made to perhaps return just a tiny fraction of the water that once flowed to these wetlands people act like it is something criminal that will take away all the food and waste the water by letting it "run to the sea". Well, that is called a "River". Rivers are nice, for animals and fish and birds and humans.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 06:23 PM
Water is wealth!

Even if there was a major project to re-direct potential flood waters away from flood prone areas to a drainage that needs more water, I doubt that much of it would reach the mouth of the river.

Too many ways to draw water from the Colorado River already exist, and probably more would be created if there was more water to take!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Yes, it would be nice to see the Colorado River Delta restored to a thriving wetland. Farmers, in general, are nice people, but each individual farmer will always take as much irrigation water as he / she can get. The cumulative effect of all of these individuals is that sometimes ALL of the water in the rivers is diverted to grow crops.

Thus, when you look at a satellite map of the Imperial / Mexicali Valley you see a luxuriant pattern of green squares where alfalfa, lettuce cotton, etc. is grown, and a brown bare desert that once was the delta of the Colorado River. The same is true for the San Joaquin River, once home to salmon, steamboats, and vast wetlands, now a tiny trickle below the Friant Dam that eventually peters out into a dry nothingness.

And yet, if any suggestion if made to perhaps return just a tiny fraction of the water that once flowed to these wetlands people act like it is something criminal that will take away all the food and waste the water by letting it "run to the sea". Well, that is called a "River". Rivers are nice, for animals and fish and birds and humans.

Would be nice. But... tough choices have to be made.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 09:37 PM

Isn't this the same area that a Viking ship was found at some point in history, if I remember correctly?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-22-2024 at 10:04 PM

great video!

Harald Pietschmann
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-22-2024 at 10:32 PM
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 06:12 AM
From today's news.....

www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/a-plan-to-replenish-the...

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 05:18 PM

Growing thirsty alfalfa in the middle of the summer in the Imperial Valley... Like an old plumber friend of mine said about plumber's putty, "use it like its free"

So the plan is to fallow some of the land during the summer months, maybe not such a bad idea. However. the title of the article "Plan to replenish the Colorado River" is a bit disingenuous. As Ak pointed out, none of the water saved will make it to the Delta. They are not going to let that valuable water flow to the sea. Indeed, it might reduce the flow to the Delta. That is because the only water that makes it to the Delta now is irrigation overflow that is too salty to grow crops and treated sewage. Remarkably, this water supports a little bit of wetlands

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.