Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Developments in Sonora
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 10:18 AM
Developments in Sonora

Thought some of you might be interested in some of the goings on in Baja's sister state Sonora. I spotted this on a San Carlos board. I think most of it comes from info in the local Mexican news papers.

"Sonora Developments

Many people are always asking me, "Whats new in San Carlos, Guaymas, Hermosillo & Rocky Point?" So I thought I would post some of the new developments that are going on or are being planned for the State of Sonora. It's kind of unbeliveable what all is happening, Starting from North to South.

NOGALES, SONORA
Just recently opened: WalMart, Alpplebees, Fiesta Hotel, and Nogales Mall (a shopping mall with 110 locals). They just finished a new elevated road and overpass in Downwtown Nogales, to help relieve the traffic problem at the border.

LUKEVILLE/SONOYTA
Planned - A additional Port of Entry, just east of the current one, with a new four lane highway direct to the new Puerto Peņasco World Class International Airport, and then continuing on to the Mayan Palace Development. The new Gate, new Highway and the new International Airport all funded by the Mayan Palace.

PUERTO PEŅASCO ( ROCKY POINT)
The new Costal Highway from Golfo de Santa Clara to Puerto Peņasco is about 85% finished. Besides the 45 highrise condos that have been built on Sandy Beach there is another 65 highrises planed for around Puerto Peņasco, these are either in construction or in planning stage, to be built in the next 2 years. They range from 12 stories to 23 stories. In the last two weeks they announced two new developments, one for $1,200,000,000.00, this with two internationaly known hotels, condos, houses, etc., three days later they announced another for $3,000,000,000.00, this one with investors from Saudi Arabia, Spain, Italy, United States & Mexico. All but three of the trailer parks have been sold for future condos, the other three are on borrowed time. In addition to these and many others, WalMart, McDonalds, Applebees, and Burger King have all gotten locations to build on. The new International Airport is going to be built and ready for next winter. American Airlines has asked for the routes from Los Angeles to Puerto Peņasco, and Chicago to Puerto Peņasco. And there are rumors of other airlines.

SOUTH OF SANTA TOMAS
There has been an announcement of a new multa millon dollar development for there.

PUERTO LIBERTAD
In 2007 they will start the second phase of the Costal Highway, from Desemboque to Puerto Libertad. There is a very large development, Liberty Cove, Billons $, planned for just north of Libertad.

Thats all for now. Second chapter to follow."
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 01:18 PM

Now that you told us the bad news, how about the good news;)
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 01:44 PM

Wait until you hear about the developments in Hermosillo, Guaymas, and San Carlos.

The governor of Sonora is very aggressive in promoting tourism and industry. I don't know when the last time you were in Hermosillo, but this very large city has more middle class Mexicans than any other place I've seen in Mexico. So, I don't necessarily agree that development is a bad thing for Mexico or us. If you want to hold the Mexican people back from bettering their lives that's your problem.

It amazes me how anti-development so many people are on this board, beating the other voices down. You want the place to remain just as it was when "you" found it. Give me a break.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 01:53 PM

I think it's great when Mexico can develop for Mexicanos to improve their way of life.:bounce: I just hate to see Appelbee's, WalMart, Burger King & McDonald's cluttering up the landscape & culture!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 02:00 PM
Changes

Just as Willie Sutton robbed banks because "That's Where the Money is", Mexico's development is keyed to the U.S. tourist and expatriate because they're next door with the money.

That's Life.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 03:09 PM
JZ------

I think many of us are not actually "anti-development" for Mexico and it's people, we are just sad that "the Mexico" that we knew and loved is rapidly becoming "no more", and in fact is becoming less interesting for many of us------"development" is NOT why we went there.

Just my opinion, of course.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 03:14 PM
well said, barry

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 04:09 PM

JZ - you are spot on, the Mexicans will decide their own future and if it includes taking advantage of norte americano dollares - well, that's free enterprize and marketing!

i found a couple of neat projects under way in kino Bay that have my eye! great prices and on the water, well planned and layed out.
Glad to see the Mexicans doing quality projects. These have 30% down owner financing with Mexican principals at great rates. Should be steady sales and build outs.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 04:27 PM

For those that don't know Sonora is very nice. If you ever want to visit a city in Mx with a strong middle class try Hermosillo. IMHO the people in Sonora are friendlier than those in Baja. Everyone you meet wants to give you a big hug and something to eat. Mike, Keno bay rocks, and I will be there in one week. Want me to stake out your lot for you?

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 04:27 PM

I agree that development is not always negative if it helps the locals economically and if the locals want it.

Even here in the US, in Imperial Beach, there is a constant battle between the leave it alone group and the let's go high rise group. Frankly, if the let's go high rise group won, the value of our properties would skyrocket, but we land between the leave it alone and high rise group.

If what has developed at Rocky Point is good for the locals, so be it. I know that many, many years ago it was a quaint little fishing village where my husband camped with his grandfather. A few years ago, we decided to see what had happened---we knew there had been lots of change.

Well, it was the weekend---first thing we discovered was that the road to "Arizonia's Beach" did not look like a two lane Mexican highway. Then when we arrived at Rocky Poing, we thought it was crowded, tacky, and awful. The final thing was when the lady at the outside taco restaurant did not want to accept pesos---she wanted dollars. We turned around and drove all the way back to our home in Calexico.

Then again, lots of people LOVE Rocky Point, and developments will continue to grow in a way that makes gringos comfortable.

Diane

k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 06:11 PM
Developments in Sonora

excellent news. Thanx for the report!
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k1w1
More time shares for you to sell BOZO.:moon:
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 07:22 PM

"Sonora Developments - Part 2

HERMOSILLO
I don't know where to start on this one as there is so much going on.
New main road into Hermosillo, from the North to be built. Just south of the Toll Booth, about where the monument of the Yaqui Deer Dancer is, Km 10, there will be a major cloverleaf overpass built with a new 4 lane road to the right that will go on to connect with Blvd. Morelos, which will turn into an 8 lane blvd. This is the main road that comes out to the road throught town by McDonalds and the Chevy Dealer. This will be a faster way into Hermosillo. Taking the new clover leaf to the east, you will go on a new 4 lane highway (Libramiento Hermosillo) that will by pass all of Hermosillo, passing on the east side of the lake and comming out at Km 240 south of Hermosillo. They say this will save 45 mins of time. Also they will be making the highway to San Pedro a 4 lane highway, and the highway to Sahuaripa a 4 lane. In the same area of the cloverleaf north of Hermosillo, they plan on Building a new La Salle University, Convention Center, 2 Hotels, Golf Course, and futher in on Blvd. Morelos a 32 story Airbus Office Bld. Also in the north part of Hermosillo, on Blvd. Morelos or close by, in the future they are going to build a new WalMart, Sams Club, Costco, and a new Plaza Power Mall with Office Max. On the Periferico Poniente, they have just opened the new Shopping Mall, Plaza Sendero, with a new Coppel, Soriana, Woolworth, Radio Shack, Burger King, Office Max, Movie Theaters, etc., with 130 locals in total. In downtown they just opened Plaza Cine Sonora with 24 locals. Towards the Center/South end of town in the area of the river by Walmart, Sams Club. and Home Depot, they are going to due major developing. Paseo Del Rio road that runs on both sides of the river will be put all the way through to the Periferico Poniente, comming out by the dam with an interchange there. In the area of Home Depot, they are going to build a new Soriana, Ashley Furniture Store, Famsa, and Hospital Angeles. Along the river road they are going to build 6 hotels, Camino Real, Lucerna, City Express, One Hotel, Micotel, Holiday Inn Express, a 10 story Condo, a Convention Center and a Culture Center consisting of a Museum of Contemporary Art, Music House, and Assemble and Visitor Center. Also another Applebees, and another Carl Jr's. They also will be building along the river road three shopping malls. Fashion Mall, Pabellon Reforma with 80 locals, Maga Plaza Gallerias with 160 locals, Sears, Sanborns, Liverpool and possibly Pennys. Also in Hermosillo Big Cola will be building their major bottling plant. I've probably left out something, but I don't know what.

GUAYMAS
They are contuining to work on the Guaymas Marina, now filling in the area where they will build the stores, hotel and parks, restoring the old buildings, along with the Mercado Municipal and soon they will make Serdan, in front of the Marina, into a divided blvd.
In February the President of the Cruse Line Holland America is comming to Guaymas to see about their cruse ships comming to Guaymas. The are going now to Topolambampo, with about 250 of the passengers getting off and taking a train trip to the Copper Canyon. While they are waiting for them to return they want to take the remaining 1,000 passengers to other areas, Loreto and Guaymas/San Carlos, and then return to Topolabampo for the Copper Canyon Pessengers. They are making a new 4 lane road into Guaymas, from Miramar, giving another route into Guaymas. Also they are going to 4 lane the road to the Airport and San Jose. They will be making a new Cinepolis Movie Theater in 2007, and WalMart is still pending for construction. In the second half of 2007 we will be getting a new local bus service with modern buses.

SAN CARLOS
Many new Condos comming and new housing projects. And of course they just opened the Delfinario.
Also on the plans for 2007 is the starting up of the Tourist Train services from Nogales to Guaymas and back. This will be a great addition.

EMPALME
They have sold most of the land from the road to Cochorit Beach, to the end of the Beach at Playa del Sol. This was the second peice that has been sold to this group. The sale was for 4,400 hectares. It was purchased by a group of investors from Chihuahua. This land runs almost all the way to the new check point at Km 98. They are currently looking at more land in the area. That is a great Beach.
They plan to build Hotels, Condos, Resturants, Stores and Housing for North Americans.

I'm sure I've left somthing out on these postings."
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 08:06 PM
You should see what's happening in Kino

When I first arrived in 1984 you could buy a beach lot for $9000.00. Now you can buy a lot in the rocks on a hill with a distant view of the water for $125,000.00. Glad I arrived in 84.:cool: Gota love Sonora!!
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 08:13 PM
hmmmmmm.....

Let's see...why have I been going to Mexico for over 35 yrs? To go to Walmart and eat at Applebees???? Was all over Sonora in 1980 and Hermosillo sounds like it just ain't the same. Just what we all need- wall-to-wall high-rises from Rocky Point to Kino Bay.....

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 08:17 PM

Camped on the beach at Kino Bay on our first trip to Mexico in 1990. We returned there in 1996 and the beach where we camped was all houses. Haven't been back since. It's not that I'm against development, it's just that I'm not going to drive 1,000 miles to see a bunch of tacky stucco homes. Thats why I go to Baja. It's being developed too, but I don't go to those places either.

The real boon for Mexico is when they start collecting property taxes on all those houses, and income taxes from all the Gringos that rent them out on the internet. They need to learn from Utah about how to tax everything the tourists do. That's economic development!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
hmmmmmm.....
Let's see...why have I been going to Mexico for over 35 yrs? To go to Walmart and eat at Applebees???? Was all over Sonora in 1980 and Hermosillo sounds like it just ain't the same. Just what we all need- wall-to-wall high-rises from Rocky Point to Kino Bay.....

Hmmmmm... I guess you would like the Mexicans to remain in poverty so you can travel to another country absent of commerce. Seems to me you are a very selfish person based on those statements.

[Edited on 12-18-2006 by JZ]
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
"Sonora Developments - Part 2

HERMOSILLO
I don't know where to start on this one as there is so much going on.
New main road into Hermosillo, from the North to be built. Just south of the Toll Booth, about where the monument of the Yaqui Deer Dancer is, Km 10, there will be a major cloverleaf overpass built with a new 4 lane road to the right that will go on to connect with Blvd. Morelos, which will turn into an 8 lane blvd. This is the main road that comes out to the road throught town by McDonalds and the Chevy Dealer. This will be a faster way into Hermosillo. Taking the new clover leaf to the east, you will go on a new 4 lane highway (Libramiento Hermosillo) that will by pass all of Hermosillo, passing on the east side of the lake and comming out at Km 240 south of Hermosillo. They say this will save 45 mins of time. Also they will be making the highway to San Pedro a 4 lane highway, and the highway to Sahuaripa a 4 lane. In the same area of the cloverleaf north of Hermosillo, they plan on Building a new La Salle University, Convention Center, 2 Hotels, Golf Course, and futher in on Blvd. Morelos a 32 story Airbus Office Bld. Also in the north part of Hermosillo, on Blvd. Morelos or close by, in the future they are going to build a new WalMart, Sams Club, Costco, and a new Plaza Power Mall with Office Max. On the Periferico Poniente, they have just opened the new Shopping Mall, Plaza Sendero, with a new Coppel, Soriana, Woolworth, Radio Shack, Burger King, Office Max, Movie Theaters, etc., with 130 locals in total. In downtown they just opened Plaza Cine Sonora with 24 locals. Towards the Center/South end of town in the area of the river by Walmart, Sams Club. and Home Depot, they are going to due major developing. Paseo Del Rio road that runs on both sides of the river will be put all the way through to the Periferico Poniente, comming out by the dam with an interchange there. In the area of Home Depot, they are going to build a new Soriana, Ashley Furniture Store, Famsa, and Hospital Angeles. Along the river road they are going to build 6 hotels, Camino Real, Lucerna, City Express, One Hotel, Micotel, Holiday Inn Express, a 10 story Condo, a Convention Center and a Culture Center consisting of a Museum of Contemporary Art, Music House, and Assemble and Visitor Center. Also another Applebees, and another Carl Jr's. They also will be building along the river road three shopping malls. Fashion Mall, Pabellon Reforma with 80 locals, Maga Plaza Gallerias with 160 locals, Sears, Sanborns, Liverpool and possibly Pennys. Also in Hermosillo Big Cola will be building their major bottling plant. I've probably left out something, but I don't know what.

GUAYMAS
They are contuining to work on the Guaymas Marina, now filling in the area where they will build the stores, hotel and parks, restoring the old buildings, along with the Mercado Municipal and soon they will make Serdan, in front of the Marina, into a divided blvd.
In February the President of the Cruse Line Holland America is comming to Guaymas to see about their cruse ships comming to Guaymas. The are going now to Topolambampo, with about 250 of the passengers getting off and taking a train trip to the Copper Canyon. While they are waiting for them to return they want to take the remaining 1,000 passengers to other areas, Loreto and Guaymas/San Carlos, and then return to Topolabampo for the Copper Canyon Pessengers. They are making a new 4 lane road into Guaymas, from Miramar, giving another route into Guaymas. Also they are going to 4 lane the road to the Airport and San Jose. They will be making a new Cinepolis Movie Theater in 2007, and WalMart is still pending for construction. In the second half of 2007 we will be getting a new local bus service with modern buses.

SAN CARLOS
Many new Condos comming and new housing projects. And of course they just opened the Delfinario.
Also on the plans for 2007 is the starting up of the Tourist Train services from Nogales to Guaymas and back. This will be a great addition.

EMPALME
They have sold most of the land from the road to Cochorit Beach, to the end of the Beach at Playa del Sol. This was the second peice that has been sold to this group. The sale was for 4,400 hectares. It was purchased by a group of investors from Chihuahua. This land runs almost all the way to the new check point at Km 98. They are currently looking at more land in the area. That is a great Beach.
They plan to build Hotels, Condos, Resturants, Stores and Housing for North Americans.

I'm sure I've left somthing out on these postings."

I sure hope they are also building a sewage disposal facility.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 09:38 PM

Who in the United States has really been helped by the development of big box stores and chain restaurants? The minimum wage worker who is often given a 32 hour per week schedule after being promised a full time job so that the company can avoid paying benefits such as retirement and health insurance? The consumer who can waste more of his money on what he never needed to begin with? Small bussiness owners who can't compete with corporate power? The young couple out for Saturday night eating oversalted overprocessed food that all tastes the same whether you get it at Appleby's, Chili's, Sizzler, or IHOP? The small restaurant owner who wants to serve a good and interesting meal at a fair price?
I'm not against growth that truly benefits the people of Mexico or any other country. But it would all be so much better if cultural identity were maintained, and there were new experiences when we travel rather than the same least-common-denominator stuff world wide. How does Mexico really benefit when the tourists and ex-pats come and spend their dollars to have them sent back to corporate America? And why leave your hometown to eat at Appleby's or Carl Jr"s?

k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2006 at 09:42 PM
tehehe

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Quote:
Originally posted by k1w1
More time shares for you to sell BOZO.:moon:

try again el chumpo (that's mexi for 'chump') but I gots a bridge I could sell ya!

More BAJA related reports added I notice. Excellent again! (sure as hell beats reading about ... marines holding hands / which weapons are flavor of the month / how to cook that elk you've taken with your crossbow (yyyeeeaaa sign of a real man HA!) / and the ever elusive baja Morro Bay ... on a site implying info re BAJA California.

Keep 'em coming (good & bad but on topic), much appreciated. Paz.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.