Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Loreto Desalination
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 06:57 AM
Loreto Desalination

It is my position that any development of any area should be limited in size according to what the natural water supply can support without desalination. It's a simple position, easy to understand, and I think very logical.

This July/August issue of The Atlantic has a full page ad by General Electric about their desalination products.

Quote:

"Water desalination from GE turns saltwater into drinking water for areas that NEED it." I added the emphasis.

I say there is a BIG difference between need and want.

Loreto development as planned is certainly not needed. And, I haven't heard very many people say that it is even wanted.

See:
http://ge.ecomagination.com/site/index.html#desa/introductio...

Make sure to take a look at the gallery showing desal plants.

If you agree with the first statement in this post, and care about the development of BCS, repeat it to all that have interest.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:13 AM

Loreto development as planned is certainly not needed.

says who? you? hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMFAO!!

that is a market function.

your position is purely supercillious.

Best laugh of the morning thus far, viejo hipster. keep it coming.:lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:19 AM

I will keep it coming, that's for sure.

Glad I made you smile.

Just to weaken your arguement a bit, methamphetamine is big business because of market function.

[Edited on 8-5-2007 by oldhippie]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:30 AM

Not that I agree with the practices of the Loreto Bay Company (I don't know enough) but I have talked to many of their purchasers and they think it's a great thing for many reasons.
So, who's definitions of "want" and "need" are you using ?

I suppose we should not have drilled all those water wells to live in places where no surface water exists ? Seems desal is just another newer technology like pumps and RO and .....

Mike,
YOU made me laugh !!! :lol:

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:39 AM

"Just to weaken your arguement a bit, methamphetamine is big business because of market function"

so is baskin robbins and KFC. so what? i don't argue that the market is good or bad. it just "is" and it self corrects.

so, when we all (those of us that binge on fatty foods) croak with heart disease, there will be less demand for those 2 products.....unless they can "hook" the younger generation....ummmm, yes.......that's the ticket!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I suppose we should not have drilled all those water wells to live in places where no surface water exists ? .

Come on guys, start thinking, I'll be glad to change my mind if someone gives a good reason.

Water wells would be included in the natural water supply, even aqueducts moving natural sources in.

oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
"Just to weaken your arguement a bit, methamphetamine is big business because of market function"

so is baskin robbins and KFC. so what? i don't argue that the market is good or bad. it just "is" and it self corrects.

so, when we all (those of us that binge on fatty foods) croak with heart disease, there will be less demand for those 2 products.....unless they can "hook" the younger generation....ummmm, yes.......that's the ticket!

nonsense

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 08:05 AM

hey, been a slice O.H.
thx for the fun.
gotta go now.........time flys.:coolup:

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 08:20 AM

It must be obvious that Capt. Mike and Diver don't live in Loreto. Hey, I don't live in Cabo San Lucas, but I think tourism ruined it to the point that the native Mexicans can't afford to live in town. I understand the Captains point, but that doesn't mean that Old Hippy doesn't have a right to complain. I live near a small private airplane airport. I don't like it because there have been several times planes have plowed into buildings. I think it should be closed....but I don't own a private airplane. I am not rich. But people have been killed by those private airplane and that just ain't right. I know, cars kill more and I own several of them. But cars are a necessity for work, shopping for groceries, etc. So....keep up the good work Old Hippy. You have a right to your opinions....and so does Mike. Go ahead Mike and rotflmao...just remember, no ass no more crap.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I suppose we should not have drilled all those water wells to live in places where no surface water exists ? .

Come on guys, start thinking, I'll be glad to change my mind if someone gives a good reason.

Water wells would be included in the natural water supply, even aqueducts moving natural sources in.

You were given one.
The water is available.
The method is the suspect.
And yes, it would seem prudent to make sure the method is sound and workeable before selling the water.

So how much water is it OK to take from a given "natural water supply" by wells or aquaduct or other means ?
Seems many wells and aquifers are drying up.

Seems all those desal guys think the oceans are a "natural water supply". Seems like a much more endless source, potentially.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
I live near a small private airplane airport. I don't like it because there have been several times planes have plowed into buildings. I think it should be closed....but I don't own a private airplane.

Yup, I bought next to a swine farm and when I moved in, it stunk !! And did you know that swine make noise ?
I will start picketting the farm tomorrow !!
Who do they think they are making all that stink ?!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 09:14 AM

Diver, I didn't know you bought next to Loreto Bay.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
Diver, I didn't know you bought next to Loreto Bay.

Nope, I didn't, although I wish I had bought in Loreto a few years back for a great investment. I have, however, spent much time in Loreto over the years. I bought in Asuncion where htere is no Loreto Bay although I realize that one may come someday. That day, I may sell for a huge profit and find another small town or towns to relocate for another of life's experiences.

I do not consider ALL development to be bad. The Loreto project may have it's problems but that is another issue. Development CAN be done responsibly, even with environmental benefits.
And as far as what this has done to Loreto, I feel for you that would prefer no changes but the impact is viewed differently by many others I have spoken with. I'm just saying that there are other opinions - not that I agree or have formed one myself.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 09:38 AM
Need and Want.

What Governmental authority gets to make that decision ?

As a young and single man living near the beach, I lived in a studio apartment converted from a single-car garage. I had a radio and a B/W TV that got good reception most of the time. It was all I needed.

Later, my wife, two elementary school children and I lived in a 940 square foot two-bedroom house. We both were within walking or biking distance of work and the necessary strores for groceries, etc. We didn't even NEED a car. Sure liked it though.

If you are going to attempt a re-structure of society and limit people to what they NEED, as opposed to what they desire and enjoy, you'd find yourself very alone in that position.
oldhippie
Banned

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 11:57 AM

I understand MrBill. My position is that desalination should not be done unless the people living in the area need water and that it also should not be done for the sole purpose of bringing in more people.

I'm waiting for the desal plant's environmental impact report. Then I'll know the amount of energy that will be required and be able to estimate the amount of brine that will need to be disposed of based upon its capacity.

From that I'll draw my own conclusions about its environmental impact.

That's the ecological part of it. There are also sociological and economical sides to the story.

I'm not going to stop. What's planned is simply too big.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
What Governmental authority gets to make that decision ?

As a young and single man living near the beach, I lived in a studio apartment converted from a single-car garage. I had a radio and a B/W TV that got good reception most of the time. It was all I needed.

Later, my wife, two elementary school children and I lived in a 940 square foot two-bedroom house. We both were within walking or biking distance of work and the necessary strores for groceries, etc. We didn't even NEED a car. Sure liked it though.

If you are going to attempt a re-structure of society and limit people to what they NEED, as opposed to what they desire and enjoy, you'd find yourself very alone in that position.

While true, that is a value judgment based on the luxury of options. We who make investments in Baja or anywhere, have options available to us. We are striving to get what we want.

Need is something we all have, and must have fulfilled. It is something I wish for all people on this earth. Unfortunately, the majority cannot have their needs met. I subscribe to the philosophy that this is an area where government can make a difference. Some people fall through the cracks without a governmental safety net. That is the fundamental tenant of heart-based philosophy.

Forget labels like Republican and Democrat, Conservative and Liberal. They have philosophical principles that cross over; all have good (and bad) practices. To even think of oneself as one or the other of these conceptual labels is self limiting.....like stuck in a box.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

Well, not completely alone. They'll have Karl Marx to keep them company.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 12:52 PM

I'm thinking this whole discussion boils down to the question of whether the Loreto Bay group can deliver water, sewage treatment, and electricity. If any of the three are missing, somebody is gonna be in deep doo-doo.:tumble:
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 02:34 PM

OH: what is the moral difference between an aqueduct and desal - or for that matter, excavating a well?

Your argument (?) seems to rest on what is more "natural" is "better". . .

Diver points out that taking water from natural sources via aqueduct might be MORE morally suspect than desalinating it - the marine supply is greater.

That Australian wind-desalination system covers all the moral bases very nicely!

[Edited on 8-5-2007 by rob]

[Edited on 8-5-2007 by rob]

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
I'm thinking this whole discussion boils down to the question of whether the Loreto Bay group can deliver water, sewage treatment, and electricity. If any of the three are missing, somebody is gonna be in deep doo-doo.:tumble:

For sewage, the Loreto Bay Company insisted that sewage treatment, being a component of "infrastructure," was the responsibility of FONATUR. FONATUR is currently building the sewage treatment plant, next to LB's nursery. So LB apparently won that argument.

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of increased demand for water, sewage treatment, garbage disposal, electrical power, propane, medical services, banking services, roads, gasoline and all other infrastructure needs will occur off-site from the Loreto Bay property. So someone other than LB is going to have to do some delivering.

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.