Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just the Facts #2 -- 21 mango Daiquiries
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 08:53 AM
Just the Facts #2 -- 21 mango Daiquiries

Just the Facts #2

21 Mango Daiquiris

A long time ago I had a client that built service stations. They did a land office business for awhile in the west and over time I got to know the owners, Dick and Dave, pretty well. Both young, ambitious guys with families, they worked like beavers and at times got way too many things on their plates. They needed a break.

From time to time I would call on them, take them to lunch and maybe show them photos of my fishing trips to Baja California, drop off some dorado or sierra when I had more than I could eat. When they saw the pix of La Serenidad in Mulege, saw the little landing strip they made plans to fly down in their Grumman Tiger Cat airplane to fish and recharge, they invited me along.

We had good flying weather on the way down and a smooth landing at our destination augured well for a fun, safe trip to Mexico. I’m not a pilot but I know airplane fueling in Baja can be a chore so I insisted we check in and, if the fuel guy was around, we fill the plane up right there and then. After check in we walked back out to the plane, Dick got in to taxi it to the fueling station and it wouldn’t start. Dead battery. One cell was dry and since the little plane had just had its annual, they were surprised and angry. We pushed the plane to the station, filled it up and headed for the pool – we would deal with the battery problem tomorrow.

Dave joined us in the pool, walks by the river, dinner, all the things the resort is famous for except the booze – Dave was a Mormon. So Dick and I drank his share of the smooth but dangerous mango daiquiris at the swim up bar. The next day we rented a cab, spent the whole day snorkeling, swimming, fishing and just relaxing at the beach at El Requeson in Bahia Concepcion. We celebrated the end of the day with lobster and shrimp and clams and (of course) more mango drinks.

Dave and I had to physically drag Dick out of the sack before first light the next morning – we threw him in the shower, poured coffee down him and met the fishing guide at the river ramp just as the sun came up. The pilot had a miserable first hour on the water but after a while he came out of it; we had more good weather and caught enough dorado for a big dinner at the hotel with a little left over for the cooler.

When we checked out the next morning we were surprised to learn that a big part of our bill was the 21 mango daiquiris Dick and I managed to consume and bill to the room. For the battery problem we asked a gringo in a station wagon to give the plane a jump. It turned right over but we had only power to the engine; not one spark of electricity to the instrument panel or the $8,000 dollars worth of radio/navigation gear.

We took off anyway, fought our way through the edge of a giant weather cell hanging between us and Mexicali. After we buzzed the tower there, sat down to check in, show our papers, the storm had gathered strength – with no radio we were told to stand down until we got clearance. We got a motel room in town, impatiently waited out the weather while the Alpha Male boss men burned up the payphones talking to headquarters, trying to run the business from afar. Before we hit the sack I called a local cab company, asked them to send a cab to our motel in the morning at 6 AM and asked that the cab bring jumper cables --- well, it worked in Mulege!

When we got to the airport about first light it was still closed. The sky had cleared and Dick and Dave had made return promises they intended to keep. We got over the 10 foot chainlink fence, had the taxi pull up close, pushed the plane over by the cab, snaked the jumper cables through the wire, hooked it up and started the engine. It got a little hairy, at least for me, when Dave and I could not push the plane back against the nose wheel – it flipped and flopped like the ones on shopping carts. Dick had to take his feet off the brakes, deplane and sit on the tail to get the nose wheel up and out of the way while the prop was still spinning furiously a few stingy feet to my left. That worked and soon we were airborn with no big problems awaiting us at Sky Harbor, the plane’s home base outside Henderson, Nevada where we didn’t much need a radio.

It’s been a lot of years but I can still taste those daiquiris and I can still see the lanky cabby standing dangerously close to the prop watching us jump start the plane. He seemed unafraid but confused. Fingers through the chainlink, a quizzical smile on his face he might have been thinking “Loco gringos. They can afford to buy a fancy plane like that but they’re too cheap to get a new battery.”

Epilogue

Back in my office I called and called until I got hold of Dick on the phone. I was dying to know what was wrong with the plane, the engine, the battery.

He told me the mechanic said it was a loose wire. I suggested he instruct the mechanic to buy and install a meter/light of some kind; about an $8 dollar expenditure I would suppose. The thing would be powered by a single C cell flashlight battery and would flash, when there was a problem, LOOSE WIRE, LOOSE WIRE. Jesus Christo, pilots are a funny bunch.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 09:46 AM

Good one! Love your stories.

We once ran the Rio Forte outside of El Forte to the coast in our twelve foot car topper. The river serpentines like a snake and we caught something different on each cast. White river dolphins, caught a bright colored snake on one cast, gut it loose before it hit the deck....shrimp the size of your palm........caimans....squawking birds etc.

It was our first journey into mango swamps and I dumbly used the odd shaped stumps as land markers as we wandered down stream through the ever widening delta. Caiman slid down the banks as we passed.

We got close enough to the surf to hear it when it was time to go back...sun lowering on the horizon and gas running low. The tide of course had risen and all of my landmarks were under three feet of water......I had lost my crumb trail....big time!

Fortunately my buddy, who was raised in a logging camp in Lebanon, Oregon, had a homing pigeon on him that did not quit. He got us back to the truck with one cup of fuel left!!! An amazing bit of navigation on his part indeed. I kissed the soggy ground......not a really smart thing to do, but apt for the moment. I still have visions of those large caimans slipping soundlessly into the water and the memories of my vision of us sleeping under the over turned boat. Whew!!

Iflyfish

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.