Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dear Ensenada Thief,
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 09:58 AM
Dear Ensenada Thief,

Thank you for not damaging my truck. You are quite ingenious in your ability to drop the tailgate under the locked shell without causing a scratch. Don’t count on being able to do that next time I’m in town. It’s a shame you weren’t in the back of my truck 2 hours earlier. You would have had your choice of clothing, household goods, shoes, bedding, toys for the kids... Nope, you were too late as you see I had just dropped the truckload off at Casa de los Pobres in Tijuana and all you had to choose from were my meager camping supplies. Thanks for leaving the wife’s and kid’s sleeping bags. I’ll miss mine since it’s fairly new and the first one I’ve owned that cost more than $30. It will keep you warm as you sleep in comfortable guilt. No heat - tumble dry, OK? Thanks for not stealing my daughter’s Godzilla fishing pole. That sentimental pole should have given you a clue as to the quality of the tackle in the box you ran off with. I’d love to see the expression on your face when you open that tackle box up an see the rusted out hooks, wads of shredded fishing line, bottle caps, broken sand dollars, and many other various pieces of washed up crap my daughter has collected from beaches all over Baja. I’m sorry it smells so bad. A chunk of squid was left in it last Thanksgiving. Feel free to discard that tackle box.
What comes around goes around and if I catch you next time something is going to come around real fast. Sleep warm.

To the samaritan who tied my tailgate back up with a rope,
I’m sure you prevented further theft. It could have been much, much worse.
Thank you,
bajadogs
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 10:01 AM

Sorry about your loss.
Here's to "What comes around, goes around" !! :mad:

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 10:03 AM

sorry for your loss and thanks for the laugh!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 11:35 AM

Sorry Dog. Good for you having a sense of humor about it.

How long was the truck unattended, and where did it happen?

I've scratched La Fonda and Rosarito off, Ensenada is in the wings.:no::no::no::mad::mad::mad::no::no::no:
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 01:06 PM

don't forget to add San Felipe to the list. Crystal meth is an epedemic with consruction workers down there.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nobaddays
don't forget to add San Felipe to the list. Crystal meth is an epedemic with consruction workers down there.

Do they work any faster?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 01:31 PM

Thanks guys,
Ken,
I was parked one block east of the main drag on Calle Segundo, 2 blocks east of the flag pole park Saturday morning for maybe 1 1/2 hours. Ensenada was very crowded. I consider myself pretty lucky having read about the losses others have suffered due to theft. Also lucky because there is no telling how long the gate was left open for anyone’s enjoyment until the samaritan roped it up. Like I said, it could have been MUCH worse. At least I don’t have to live with the guilt of what I may have done to the thief if I happened to be “napping” in the back seat next to the aluminum bat. As much as I hate getting ripped off, this one will be an easy recovery.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by nobaddays

Do they work any faster?

Wheels Spin Faster .... Goes Nowhere !!

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 11:45 AM

"drop the tailgate under the locked shell", NEVER occured to me. will now lock the tailgate.
thanks for the tip, sorry to learn it this way.

sbwontoo
craiggers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Thank you,
bajadogs

Probably the same guy that ripped you off in the first place!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 04:10 PM

Fandango------

I would be very interested in how you actually "lock" the tail gate---------I have never figured out a satisfactory way, to date, but there must be a way.

Thanks, Barry
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 04:28 PM

Barry--- By using 90 degree conventional hasps and spacers to achieve correct allignment fastened to the inside of each side of truck bed, or weld on correct and alligned fabricated configurations. Use correct size self tapping stainless steel panheead screws for hasps and matching keyed locks. Good project.++C++
craiggers
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Thank you for not damaging my truck. You are quite ingenious in your ability to drop the tailgate under the locked shell without causing a scratch. Don’t count on being able to do that next time I’m in town. It’s a shame you weren’t in the back of my truck 2 hours earlier. You would have had your choice of clothing, household goods, shoes, bedding, toys for the kids... Nope, you were too late as you see I had just dropped the truckload off at Casa de los Pobres in Tijuana and all you had to choose from were my meager camping supplies. Thanks for leaving the wife’s and kid’s sleeping bags. I’ll miss mine since it’s fairly new and the first one I’ve owned that cost more than $30. It will keep you warm as you sleep in comfortable guilt. No heat - tumble dry, OK? Thanks for not stealing my daughter’s Godzilla fishing pole. That sentimental pole should have given you a clue as to the quality of the tackle in the box you ran off with. I’d love to see the expression on your face when you open that tackle box up an see the rusted out hooks, wads of shredded fishing line, bottle caps, broken sand dollars, and many other various pieces of washed up crap my daughter has collected from beaches all over Baja. I’m sorry it smells so bad. A chunk of squid was left in it last Thanksgiving. Feel free to discard that tackle box.
What comes around goes around and if I catch you next time something is going to come around real fast. Sleep warm.

Thank you,
bajadogs
DonBaja
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruzin'

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 06:47 PM

What type of shell do you have ? Snug top or similar ?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 08:09 PM

It's a 99 Ram with a Leer shell.

Crusoe,
That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it.

edit to add photo -

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by bajadogs]

RamShell.jpg - 18kB
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 08:19 PM

I fell sorry for your loss Bajadogs,put it this way your slepping bag will keep somebody warm.I will keep and eye on my Ram next time Im in Ensenada, alot times I just leave things in the back, no more.....

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 02:35 AM

Bajadogs.......Another problem for the canopy user is..... there is only about 6 different key configurations for all those little twisty lockable canopy lever catches. A theif once in Seattle unlokced my canopy and removed about fivethousand dollars worth of very old woodworking tools and re-locked it afterwords. A locksmith told me anyone can get, and theives have all the keys to fit those little locks and so a person needs to have the canopy lock cylinder re-keyed to a one off custom type. ++C++ :wow:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 09:36 AM
This works on my utility trailer

Yes, it is ugly, but so is the old pick-up bed.

The bolts where they are exposed by the open hasp have their nuts secured by a "Mexican cotter key" Very effective.
The hasp prevents the handle from being lifted.

IMG_8902.JPG - 39kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Yakfishing
Junior Nomad

Mood: Onshore wishing I was offshore

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:18 AM
Aftermarket tail gate locks

There are a few of them out there:
http://www.popandlock.net/
http://www.tailgatelock.net/main.htm

I installed one of the Bully locks on my Dodge Dakota. I added a couple of extra screws to make it more secure.

It is a little scary to know that there are only a few different keys for camper shells.... time to rekey.

Joe O.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Yakfishing
time to rekey

Yep, I accidentally found out that my mailbox key has no problem opening the shell. I appreciate all the suggestions.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.