Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hurry to San Nicolas
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:21 AM
Hurry to San Nicolas

If you love San Nicolas or ever thought you'd like to visit, I recommend planning more for the near term. Although the property is in the bottom of the arroyo, and the homes will be regularly swept out to sea, it will still unalterably effect the nature of the community.

For us, it was very nice while it lasted.

http://www.theoasisatsannicolas.com/

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DonBaja
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruzin'

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:49 AM

Excuse my ignorance. I've been to Loreto before but am not famliar with San Nicolas. I did a search and followed your link and it looks very nice and still remote. Are you saying now would be a good time to look into a place in San Nicolas ? Any more info would be appreciated.

[Edited on 8-23-2007 by DonBaja]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 10:54 AM

That is Sad. Will not happen though. All these grand plans are/were tied to the secondary housing market boom. That has faded. This will too. The developers, as with most in baja, are hoping for a fancy web site to generate presales. Without water, no flower will grow. I think you are safe, for now, Vag.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 11:10 AM

Bummer.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 11:43 AM
DonBaja

I would NOT recommend putting money in the floor of the arroyo. My place is made from mostly recycled materials and sits much higher up; though still in the arroyo. Even IT has had 12 inches of Hurrican Marty over every square inch of the lot. We try to remain in the position of having more heart invested in the community than money.

That said, there are lots for rent, and everything that helps the locals keep their land helps to prevent more development.

And THAT said, with few exceptions the people in the village would probably still like to see new trucks in the driveway, and their kids going to good schools.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

DonBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 12:09 PM

Putting money into an area that is more subject to flooding seems very risky. Vgabndo you are on higher ground, how often do you worry about getting flooded out ? Every hurricane season?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 01:22 PM

My Heart is Breaking!!
As the Tears fill my eyes,I Choke with Emotions of the Good People on San Nicolas, the Fantastic times had from my first visit with Alvaro when we went into there to have his brother Enrique help Filet 30 Big Pinto Cabrilla,caught at the Isla.
Later landing my little Cessna 170 B on the short Strip,greeted by Enrique and the Villagers after bringing a load of Beer and Tequila for an all nite Party.
Fishing off shore catching 30 Lb. Yellowtail, Diving around the Isla with Hammerhead, catching 180 lb. Grouper, 80 Lb. Amberjack .
Fishing with Pappa Murillo catching Large Parguette, Fishing Sharks, bring in 2,000 Lbs. of Filets Dryed and sent to Mexico City. Catching an 800 Lb. Shark-His Teeth adorn my office wall on this Sad Day.
Oh! How my Heart Cries for the Good People, I the only Americano for 4 good years, Terry, Chewy, Alfreado, Chico, Gloria. Having a Heat Stoke, dumped in a Tub of Cold Water, then driven over the only Road out at that time to Loreto_where they saved my Life. Heat Stroke from trying to help Pappa Murillo cut Palm Leaves to build my Little Papala next to the Well at the Arroyo.
Watching the Net Boats come in and Net all the Sierra in 24 Hours. Having "Lupe" dive to 105 Ft. with 2 Rocks as Weights, bring up Black Coral given to me just because he Liked me. I still have 5 Lbs. in a Sack in my Office.
Helping Yuyi and Roselva who would run out and fetch the Dove, having it skined on the way back to me- Their Mother Rachael frying it in on the Grill.
Milking the Goats with Martin, making the Great Cheese.
Oh! so many Memories- The Greatess time of my Life. My Heart and Pryers to all those Good People, their Caring, Kindness, Respect.
May God Bless them All as He Blessed me in Those Experiences at San Nicolas.

"Mosco Con Mucha Mujeres are better know as Skeeter"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 01:56 PM
DonBaja

I rent my little piece from someone who claims to own it. It has always been thus. Sure I have risks, but the rewards though different from Skeet's are very similar.

Yes I worry after every passing hurricane. There was once a big orange grove near where I've built and it and most of the top soil in the arroyo was taken to sea in the 1950's.

Lately, the high waters have dug the arroyo deeper and cleaned a lot of the Mesquite out of the bottom. Things could easily be OK "naturally" for the rest of my span. Quien Sabes

The picture is Don Alfredo Bastida embarrassing his granddaughter Cinthia at her quincinera. He's the guy who saved Skeet.

cinthias 15 081.jpg - 42kB

Bill Kauth

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 02:12 PM

Wow Skeet that was a great post. Vags, your pic didnt show up for me, how about sharing some more of your rewards? Some day Ill retire and hope to find even a little of what you guys have had.
DonBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 03:22 PM

WoW, I could read stories like these for days..even just sitting here at the desktop one can really get a feel for such a place
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 06:30 PM

Thanks for the Picture!
Alfredo: Terry got busted for killing someones Cattle, selling the Carne in Loreto. I arrived one day shortly thereafter and Alfredo ask me to "Pay Him out of Jail" I did so for $400. Alfredo told me I could have the Lote next to him to live on for the rest of my Life. I would bet that if I went back he would still keep his Word!

Sitting in my little Palapa one day, heard some yelling, looked up and there goes Chico's boy Jose being drug up the Arroyo behind his Truck. He had triped on a rope, fallin off . They finally stopped and brought him to me for First Aid treatment. Just skinned up.

A Hippie and his Girlfriend came to San Nicolas in their Volks,squatted for several Days. One night the guy stayed on the Beach and she caught him bouncing in the Sand with a Local. She took off with the VW, his clothes and went back to the States, He lived several years on the Streets of Mulege, name was MontyNegro.

Lupe, who would Dive for the Black Coral would work for 2 or 3 months, take his pay go to Mulege spent it all on Beer and have a Party for all of his Friends, then come back and work to do it again. He ended up as Baja Patties Pistolero, she had picked him up off the Streets of Mulege taken him to her Ranch on the East side of Conception.
One day he gave me His "Spirit" The Brain Bone of the Osprey- in a small Leather Sack. I still carry that Spirit!

Arrived one day- That night one of the Women gave birth to her Thirteenth Child- We all sat around drinking Beer until the Arrival. The Father left the next day on a Burro and a 5th of Tequilla, not to return for nearly a year.

Oh! those were the Days!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 06:45 PM

Vag: Is there anyway you could send me a copy of the Photo. I would like to put it on Paper and Frame it> Let me Know via email and I will send my address.

They were having problems with Rattlesnakes coming into the living areas. Children could not play very safely. I purchased a Dozen Weeder Geese which took care of Warning the Children when a Rattler came down the Hill. Lasted until the Geese grew up then they started eating all the Garden Plants, I guess, thinking they were Weeds!!
Skeet
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 07:46 PM
Skeet

I have several. U2U me with your e-mail and I'll send them out to you.

Perry

Here's Terry as a grown man and a grandfather as of a few days before the picture was taken. Cattle rustlin' is far in his past there days. He and wife Lupe are GOOD people.

cinthias 15 035.jpg - 41kB

Bill Kauth

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 07:56 PM
Chico Murillo

Last year around Christmas, Chico's son-in-law Benjamin killed and dressed a calf the Don Chico had been fattening on dates. We were invited to the feast with all their family.
It is near impossible to get a picture of Chico smiling, but here he is with his sweet wife Francesca.

chicos calf party 021.jpg - 45kB

Bill Kauth

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 08:00 PM
Sweet young beef cooked over Palo Fiero

Looks almost good enough to eat huh?

chicos calf party 013.jpg - 47kB

Bill Kauth

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 08:15 PM
Alfredo's son Chuey

When he showed up at Cinthia's quinsinera, I thought WOW Jusus cleans up real well, then I realized he'd had grey hair when I'd seen him in the morning. Both he and Terry had been deep into the Grecian Formula bottle (among others) before the party started!

cinthias 15 092.jpg Chuey.jpg - 6kB

Bill Kauth

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 06:45 AM

Have a Photo of Chewy when he was about 13 years old. Holding a 5 Ft. Long Needle Fish I had caught.
Have you been there when Alfredo cooks a Goat in the Ground for 24 Hours? Yum! Yum!
We also had Turtle on occasion, Fileted out woth the Meat made into a Stew, Shells cooked over the open fire then the Stew is poured into the Shells, scooped out with the Cooked Fat from the Back of the Turtle.
Everybody would bring a six Pack and What a Party!
Thanks again for the Thread, brings out a lot of Emotion for me. Am thinking about making one last trip to visit this Fall. Will be a Kick, seeing all those good People grown up with Kids.

Same ole Question for the Developers: Where will they get the Water?????

Skeeter
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 08:10 AM

Great stuff guys. Skeet, you need to write a book. Good to see some have experienced the "Real" Baja. Lucky~!

Skeet, you need an avitar. Maybe someone out there can help you out. Doug set me up with mine.:tumble:

[Edited on 24-8-2007 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 10:05 AM

Vag,

Nice portraits! Hope to get by on one of my trips, never have been to your little piece of Baja.

Ken
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 10:05 AM

Minnow: Good Idea and I will need all the Help I can Get!

Any Ideas out there for an Avitar for me?
I am sure someone could come up with a few Ideas, maybe the Teeth from that 800 Lb. Shark I caught. We will see.

Thanks for the Help Minnow.

Skeet
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.