Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Insurgentes Pemex Rip-off - Got me two times now
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 08:55 PM
Insurgentes Pemex Rip-off - Got me two times now

Just fair warning, I've now been ripped off twice at the Pemex station on the south-bound side of the street in Insurgentes. The first time I was pretty sure, but I went back today to confirm it.

I had 1/3-1/4 of a tank of fuel. My tank holds 95 liters. They put "97 liters" of gas in it....

I was peeed, but late for a plane and wasn't even sure what I could do about it even if I had an hour or so to kill.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 09:00 PM
that sucks....

money grubbin' ********....... when will they/we learn?

the only option is to bring your own 5 gallon cans and when they put 6 gallons into each, refuse to pay and pour them out if they won't accept their own medicine!!!!

[Edited on 8-26-2007 by Hose A]

CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 07:12 AM

Been to that Pemex 30 times in the past two years. Never noticed any problem UNTIL two weeks ago when I was shorted 100 pesos for my change. I realized it before we drove away. I got out of the car and walked to the attendant who before I could get my sentence halfway out dug out his bankroll and handed me 100 pesos saying that he was sorry he made a mistake. I wish I had done something more than just be furious and stomping away.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 10:43 AM

When we drive into a Pemex, we always have 300 pesos exact change in our hot little hands (plus 10 pesos if the windows get washed) and ask for 300 pesos worth of gas, which almost fills it up. If you ask for the tank to be filled, we've found that more than a few pesos will wind up on the ground in a valiant effort to round the tab up to the nearest 50 pesos. And whatever you do, try to avoid paying in dollars; the exchange rate is pathetic.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 11:14 AM

Most of the stations in that region are owned by the same company. I know that some pump a short liter, and assume the others do too. Other than that, we have had no problems with them.

The new Loreto station is owned by the man who owns the construction supply place across the street, and is reputed to sell a full liter. And it is always crowded.

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 12:05 PM
We got caught with the...

...'didn't understand' scam. I asked for a fill. Checked the pump and saw it was zeroed out. Attendant started pump and another attendant asked if I wanted oil checked. I said no but he kept at it. When I turned back around the 1st attendant was hanging pump up. I told him it couldn't be filled yet so he acted confused and said, "Okay, I need to start pump again. I put in 120 pesos, see? I need to re-set pump and start again. I'll add 120 to the total." A ways down the road my brain finally started converting and I realized there was no way he could have put as many liters in the tank as I was charged for. Worked out to about 120 pesos was the amount in gas I was shorted. Imagine that!:!:

Lesson learned.;D

I think the world is run by C- students.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 06:35 PM

ANYTIME they restart the pump, you are being scammed. Pure and simple.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BCSTech

and what should "our" response be to a restarted pump?

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll bite. I didn't say you have to respond, just know you're getting ripped off.

If you're really asking for a suggested response, I suppose you could tell them you won't pay for gas you didn't get. "

No pagaré por la gasolina que no he recibido." (and smile)

or just refuse to pay the additional (and smile)

or if they insist, offer to call the police about it (and smile)

I'm sure others will have better suggestions :)
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:

I've thought about it quite a bit since then. I now have a locking gas cap in addition to the locking door over the cap. I will stand beside the nozzle while it is being filled. I will also lock the car doors so a 'helpful' attendant does not get inside to pop the hood so he can check the oil in an effort to distract me.

Assuming that you aren't getting ripped off (which most of the time I don't feel I am), what is an appropriate tip?

losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:51 AM

You should NOT tip the attendant for pumping gas. Now if someone cleans the windshield and windows, thats a different matter. 5 pesos for that is a fine tip.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 08:59 AM

Question: Are we permitted to pump our own gas? I see some locals doing it.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 09:04 AM

Quote:

If a newer pump stops for any reason, and isn't restarted in 45 seconds, it must be reset to begin pumping again. If this happens, WRITE DOWN the reading before the pump is restarted.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 09:37 AM

I had the problem of filling 5 gal jugs with 22-24 liters. I thought I was getting ripped of until I filled the jugs in the states and found that they had expanded from a 5 gal. to a 6 gal capacity.
I totally agree with losfrailes, no tip to the attendant and 5 pesos for the windshields
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 09:41 AM
This surprises me.

Quote:
Originally posted by losfrailes
You should NOT tip the attendant for pumping gas. Now if someone cleans the windshield and windows, thats a different matter. 5 pesos for that is a fine tip.

My wife's family live in Sonora, born and raised. I've been with them many times over the years when we've stopped to fill up their car or truck. They have always given the attendant a tip after getting gas. What I don't know is how much they tipped but this is from people who normally leave relatively small tips at restaurants. I was always under the impression that tipping the attendant was something 'everyone' did.

As for writing down the amount, wouldn't have made any difference. I saw what the amount was, it was M$120. They had obviously worked this scam before along with others that I later saw posted on this forum. If someone tries this type of scam again, I'll probably just not let them put in any more gas at least until I check my gauge and see if any gas was really put in.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 09:51 AM

The station in Santa Rosalia when they pulled this scam the pump had a funny sound running but you could tell the difference.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
Just fair warning, I've now been ripped off twice at the Pemex station on the south-bound side of the street in Insurgentes. The first time I was pretty sure, but I went back today to confirm it.

There's another Pemex less than a mile down the road, just south of the junction in the highway at Insurgentes, on the northbound side. Used it twice yesterday and no hint of deception. I'd just go there instead.
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 11:16 AM

Hola BigWooo,
That was the one that tried to take me for 100p a few weeks ago.( I misunderstood Joel's Pemex location). Been there four times since with no incident. Different attendant. But I am gonna watch it all now rather than leaving the husbondage to it while I go inside for provisions.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 11:29 AM

ON a related subject, there was an article in the LA Times Business section a couple weeks ago that did indicate that the fuel in underground storage tanks at filling stations can be as hot as the high 90s-low100s fahrenheit. So, the expansion factor can play into this.

The article was speculating on the amount of money the state loses due to the expansion and contraction of fuel and why we cant produced pumps that account for this. The article did involve actual measuring of the temps of the fuel and the quantities.

I was of the opinion that the tanks are too deep to be affected much by the air temps above. That doesnt seem to be the case.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:52 PM

Remember though, if it's expanded in the tank, you should get a correct amount dispensed, although it looses power at the higher temperatures.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.