Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: a couple of questions

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:12 PM
a couple of questions

Hello:

I have been contemplating leaving the US for more affordable pastures. I am still in the begginning stages of this so please bare with me. I was told the Baja Gold Coast is a great place to look into due to it's proximity to the US california. However, I do have a couple of concerns. 1. I am african american and I am wondering how are african americans received in mexico. Also, I am a muslim so, I am not sure how much a cultural role that will play in mexico. Lastly, I hear the highways are tricky and one can get killed driving past sunset back and forth from california to mexico. Please let me know is it safe to drive or not because the biggest perk is having access to drive back to california anytime.

Thanks.

Sorry if my questions sound stupid, but, a wise man once said, "Yhe only stupid question is one that never ben asked".
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:21 PM

Welcome to the board.

Wow, I bet two of those questions HAVE never been asked, at least on this forum. I have no idea how a Black Muslim would be received in Northern Baja, but I am guessing there would be little hostility, just curiosity. I would not worry about it, and go with the flow with a big grin on your face.

As for the highways in Northern Baja-------lets just say that no highway at night is totally safe, but I am thinking that if you are careful and drive defensively you would have no problems driving back and forth between Mexico and the USA other than the rather long border waits getting into the USA.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
I was told the Baja Gold Coast is a great place to look into due to it's proximity to the US california.

Many on this board would tell you that is it's biggest detraction.:lol:

I won't attempt to answer your other questions because frankly I have absolutely no idea. When I am down there I am just one more gringo so I have no idea of the mindset of the locals. There are many on this board that are infinitely more qualified to answer those questions.

I'm not sure what you are looking for by just "more affordable pastures". If it is just an extension of California that you seek, the Gold Coast may be what you're looking for. If you are looking for anything more I would suggest a leisurely drive down the peninsula to a least familiarize youself with just some of what it has to offer. I'd hate to see you buy a Yugo just because it is cheap and that had you known you could have gotten a Bentley for the same price.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:49 PM

Hello, Newby and welcome to the BajaNomad Board. Here you will get lots of differing opinions. Mexico is a third world country and if you are not familiar with its culture, it can be very challenging. The rules are different, inconsistantly applied and confusing, until you spend enough time there to learn the customs. Everything moves more slowly. Those who can't cope with that aren't happy. If you get angry or frustrated and show it, that usually works against you.

I cannot accurately answer your question because being an African American Muslim is not my experience. I have not personally witnessed any incidences of racism in Baja nor do I kinow if it exists. Whatever I can say would only be conjecture.

You are talking about staying in the North. I would say you wouldn't receive any negative treatment by Mexicans. There are a lot of people from the U.S.A. living there too. Whatever your experience is where you now live is probably going to be your experience in Baja with the U.S. expatriots and tourists.

I don't think the fact you are Muslim would be an identifying factor. How would anybody know that? I think you would probably find a mosque somewhere in Baja Norte. Have you inquired in your community or done a google search about mosques in Northern Baja?

Driving at night is dangerous! The problems are: extremely narrow roads with no shoulder, livestock and dogs wander or stand in the road and because there is poor to no lighting, you can't see them until it is too late. Many vehicles have dim or no taillights and go very slowly. You can't judge their speed or perhaps not see them at all until it is too late. Signs that give directions are poor or confusing or non-existent. Trucks create the most dangerous driving conditions because they go too fast and if you try to give them room, you could easily find yourself upside down in a pasture or a canyon. If you are on the Tijuana-Ensenada corrider it may be a little easier driving at night.

You said you are looking for more affordable living. That may be possible but it will take some looking. You will probably have to live in a poorer neighborhood in housing you are not used to, or maybe live in a trailer. One thing about money....All citizens of the U.S. and Canada are thought of as rich, even though most of us are not. But by Mexican standards, most of us are better off financially. You will get more respect if you spend money, or are generous with workers. Are you a retiree or I will you be commuting to work in the U.S.? Do you have a job near the border? Do you speak any Spanish? That's a big help.

One last thing....it is less hassle, culturally, if you are male.

Why don't you take a few trips and explore. Talk to people down there. See it for yourself. As you can tell, if you lurk on this board, most of us love it. Come back here often and give us reports.

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:03 PM

Its safer than San diego and you can drive across 24-7 bud....cheap cheap cheap and we have mexicans that darker than most africans so dont worry about that just smile and everyone will like you thats the secret I know I am mexicano...

READY SET.....................
xiv015

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:02 AM

Look into getting a SENTRI pass if you are planning on moving south of the border.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
I cannot accurately answer your question because being an African American Muslim is not my experience.

Hi there, Newbie.....

I've got to say, I'm confused as to why you would bring that question to a board comprised of 98% old white people, most of whom are, if anything at all, Christian. If you belong to a Black, Muslim community, there has to be an informed opinion available there. You have to know that moving into Mexico anywhere is going to fill your life with a new diversity. Why would you ask us? How would we know?
Let me add that, Black, Muslim is good. If it's Black Muslim, don't tell Trump if you decide to buy his property.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 07:53 AM

Welcome Newbie,
Just my 2 cents worth here now.
We live in San Felipe, have a very good friend that is kind of the same situation you are talking about. He is from Jamaica. But many years ago.
But he still has his Jamaican accent!:D:D. I do not know what religion he is actually but I know he is very religious. He is a vey nice man, in his 80's lives alone in his own house. Lives in Eldorado Ranch, in a nice(many affluent people) neighborhood where as far as I know has no other people of his color.This man is treated no differntly than any of the other neighbors. In fact many of the neighbors go out of their way to make sure he is OK & invite him to join in our activities. Tho I do know others in another area (Very Up-scale) of the ranch. All say they are very happy here & treated very well by both Caucasions & Mexicans. I see & socialize with many of these people at many functions here. So I would think you could live here with little or no problems. Many others do not like it in Baja Norte but we have lived here for 10 years vey happily. Met many many nice friendly people, of all races & religions. Yes, you can live cheaper here than in the U.S. but it is getting more costly every year now. The advice you are getting concerning visiting a few times first & talking to people that live here ( not just land sales people)is the VERY BEST advice you can get. So TRY It! You just might like it!!! You are welcome to u2u me or email me if you would like to hear more about San Felipe?
HAGD
meme
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie
I am african american and I am wondering how are african americans received in mexico. Also, I am a muslim so, I am not sure how much a cultural role that will play in mexico.

Hey there newby, welcome to bajanomad. I think that the others can answer you #3 question and there would be many opinions, there you are talking about money. I will try to answer 1 and 2 wich are easyer. First I must tell you that I see that you are using a politicaly correct term, african american, I don't want to be offensive, but you will not encounter that in México, here we do't have a mexico-africano or a americafricano, here you would be a negro, plain and simple and if someone wants refer to you in a cute way, they will call you morenito. I am very, very brown and have been called negro and I have many friends whose nickname is negro, and it is very accepted. People from african descent are not just in the USA, they are all over America, I am refering to the continent and México is not the exception, negros have played an important role in this country and there are many negros in all towns and cities all over the country, in my travels thru out the country I have encountered most negros in the south, I even visited a comunity of negros pigmeos during a surf trip to Oaxaca at Lagunas de Chacagua, . If you do a search for history of black people or negros in México, you will find a wealth of information. In México or all over the spanish speaking cultures a european american is a güero, a chinese american would be a chino, and for that case anyone that looks oriental would be a chino. As for the Muslim part, well there are many many muslims in México, as there are many other religions so for 1 and 2 I would not worry.
Here is an interesting link http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/migrations/legacy/almmx....
What i would be concerned about is your handle here, because if you stick arround for some time you wouldn't be a newby ;D
Saludos
Fernando el negro

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
I cannot accurately answer your question because being an African American Muslim is not my experience.

I've got to say, I'm confused as to why you would bring that question to a board comprised of 98% old white people, most of whom are, if anything at all, Christian.

Dennis, I must say that it comes as a bit of a surprise to me that this board has been hijacked by a bunch of old white Christians (I've got nothing against them, personally, but I'm not one myself). Anyone else think this is BS? Also, as a few of the other posts indicate, there are people here who do have insightful answers for this guy, and who are capable of providing them in a respectful manner without being condescending.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:37 AM

Totally agree DanO!!! Totally inappropriate post from all perspectives. Crappy way to treat a newbie! I suppose one outta 3 ain't bad.....I'm white, but I ain't old....nor am I Christian!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:47 AM

OK, we need a poll with Nomad ages, sex (or lack there of), nationality, skin tone, religious preference (or lack there of) and while were at it, education level, hobbies or other interests and maybe your favorite drink ?

I'll start;
I'm 51, male (yes), US by way of 4 generations from NE Europe, pale, nothing specific (not raised Christian), multiple college degrees (PE), Baja and moving there, marguaritas on the rocks (but my stomach won't let me).

Anyone else ?? :lol::lol::lol:

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:50 AM

Oh by the way, no problems with any colors or religious preferences in Baja in my mind. Baja is a place of acceptance and rebirth for many. You will be judged and treated based on your actions with the people you meet there.

Although I might not push the Jihad thing too far with the old Jewish tourists ! :lol:

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:53 AM

Longlegs, DanO. Ditto your thoughts. Dennis is just being, well Dennis.

In my humble opinion. IMHO. You will not have any problems due to color or religion. I have driven from Ensenada to the border hundreds of times after dark, and have never had a problem. Be respectful and the people will respect you. It is the white christian a=holes that the Mexicans despise. Don't be mistaken for one of those and you will be OK>

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 10:57 AM

Hi there, [DENNIS].....

I've got to say, I'm confused as to why you would bring that [COMMENT] to a board comprised of 98% [Not Racist people].... If you belong to a [Racist] community, there has to be an informed opinion available there. Why would [tell] us? [Why] would we [care]?

yuletide
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:13 AM

I feel that, if an accurate answer was Newbie's desire, he asked the wrong bunch of people. I knew when I posted that there would be responses from some who evidently think that any question to race or religion is inappropriate, rude and out of place. That is truly your problem with which you infect the world. If more people would discuss their differences, we would have more understanding. We should ask. We should wonder. We shouldn't treat differences as "thin Ice", not to be treaded upon.
Newbie asked the question about joining a part of Mexico, bringing genetic and cultural differences. That was his/her question. Good questions. My feeling is that he/she brought the enquiry to the non-conversant. He asked people who wouldn't know the answers. That was my point.
I didn't bring up race and religion here. Newbie did.

You're off-base with your response, DanO. Some of my best friends are White.

longlegsinlapaz.......Please don't ever think that I would accuse you of being a Christain.

[Edited on 8-29-2007 by BajaNomad]
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:16 AM

I'll 'fess up...

I pretty much fit Dennis's profile....at last I know what it is liked to be profiled.

I had a Spanish teacher at the U. in La Paz last year who stated quite pointedly that Mexcio is a very racist country. I haven't seen a bit of it but certainly did not feel it was appropriate to take issue with her.

Newbie, if you can spend some significant time on the Gold Coast and get the "feel of it" before you commit, is a good way to find out if this is a place that would be comfortable for you.
I was concerned about how Gringos would be treated....wrong issue...no one told me about the dust.

Good luck in your search
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Totally agree DanO!!! Totally inappropriate post from all perspectives. Crappy way to treat a newbie! I suppose one outta 3 ain't bad.....I'm white, but I ain't old....nor am I Christian!

Good point, Legs. I'll cop to being a white guy, but not old or Christian (not, as Seinfeld would say, that there's anything wrong with that).

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:26 AM

oh. I see. I hate to put word into people's mouths, Dennis, but I think the better way to say what you are trying to say is that YOU don't know how to answer that question.

A few others have done a good job offering some good insight. you're insight was to "ask your own kind".

There are other people on this board who do not fall into the 'Old, White, and Grumpy' category, FYI.

yuletide
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 11:30 AM

Being old, white I still know a little something. Having lived in La Paz for some time and having neighbors, friends that are black I can tell you they are well accepted in the Mexican community, as well as the old white community.(friends meaning plural)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.