Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Another TJ vehicle robbery
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 07:09 PM
Another TJ vehicle robbery

Seems this is a TOTALLY different case than the one reported on Friday. Happened in the same place and the guy reporting it luckily got away.
I know some folks here don't care for the Bloodydecks site but accurate info is always good.

TJ robbery
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 07:14 PM

They did shut the other thread down due some really racist remarks...worth a look.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:00 PM
55Steve

Check your u2u
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:00 PM

Well I've been traveling Baja all of my life and I've finally had to witness the worst...

At 3:00am we had just crossed the Border at Tijuana, My buddy and myself in my F350 and two other guys in their small Chevy Pu. I was the lead car. Just as we were going up the steep hill along the border fence I noticed that the other truck was getting pulled over.. So I slowed at came to a stop just up the road. Seconds later a grey Ford Explorer No plates pulled in front of my truck. Two men quickly got out of the car guns drawn coming towards me...I quickly hit the gas and was able to get out of there..It seems that they chased us for a short time but never caught us.. We eventually got far enough away where we felt safe(kinda) and my phone rang.. My wife had the other guys on the phone and they were completly robbed all the way down to their wedding rings..Luckily they had family just blocks away and were safe and on the way to the border(without Truck)..

Please be careful, my father in law works in TJ for the PGR and according to him this is not an isolated incident in this area.. But the good news is none have been reported in daylight hours so please be smart..IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

Be Safe

Derek
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:01 PM

Its accurate I was there!!!

Derek
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:04 PM
Yellowklr

Please check your u2u
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:27 PM

I wouldn't want to be in La Colina (in Oxnard) or Logan Heights (in San Diego) at 3 am, why were you driving through TJ at that time?
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:28 PM

I read about the other reported TJ robbery on this website from a few days ago and was quite appalled how a few of you doubted it ever happened and made rude comments about members of the Bloodydecks fishing website (I could not find that thread so am commenting on this similar event). Other than allowing words that a lot of of us use in our daily conversations with others, it's just a fishing forum for us to use to pass on information from fishing mainly in socal and baja but has expanded to norcal and the east in recent years. Shame on those of you who made those comments without knowing what you are talking about. i thought you were taught better or are older than your words make you out to be. Now about the other robbery. The original thread must have been removed by the BD's moderator because it's no longer there so I did not read it. 2nd hand info says it was in very bad taste but that's a credit to the BD's moderator for removing it. Here's an excerpt from today on BD's from a friend of those robbed. He's a respected teached in San Diego.

"I'm not sure which forum to put this in for the most people to see it is, but I just wanted to pass along this info.

Friday morning at about 4:30, my good friend in his Tundra and another 2 guys in a separate truck were heading together down through Tijuana on a 5-day Baja camping/surf trip. Only a few minutes across the border, they went up that really steep hill, the one when you get to the top and start going down, there is a steep ravine on the right. The front car was pulled over by a car with a flashing light on the dash, and my buddy pulled over behind them. He saw a guy get out of the unmarked "cop" car with a gun drawn and run up to the front truck. Then suddenly two other guys were in my friend's front seat, pointing guns to his head.

To get to the point, these three guys spent about 10 minutes kneeling in front of the guard rail with guns pressed to the backs of their heads, and were sure they were going to die. My friend at one point looked over at his other friend and saw one of the robbers push him down the hill toward some bushes, then pull a ski mask over his face, like he was about to kill him. Finally, there were shots into the air, and the robbers took off in all 3 cars, leaving these guys their lives, but taking absolutely everything, inlcuding 2 new trucks, many surfboards and kite surfing setups, tons of new camping gear, and of course all their personal information in the car, such as addresses, car registration, etc.

It's not over, though, for them. They got a ride for a bit back in the direction of town, when they saw a real cop car who had someone pulled over. They stopped there, and the cops asked them some questions about the robbery, but would not take a report or anything. Instead, the cops drove them to an ATM in the Revolucion area, because one guy still had his wallet with an ATM card, and then the cops just drove away. Somehow they told the story to a security guard at the ATM, who called a cab for them and told them they should get back across the border immediately. He told the cab driver not to stop for any reason on the way to the border.

Sure enough, on the way back, two cars, and pickup and a VW Touraeg, pulled in front and back of the taxi and jammed on their brakes to try to stop thecab, but the taxi driver accelerated away from them, and got in the taxi-only line for the border and got them there safely. They reported what happened on the US side, and rode the trolley and the Coaster back to Solana Beach.

He can only speculate why someone tried to stop them from crossing. Did they want to get the ATM card/wallet from the one guy who had it? Did they want to kidnap these guys so they didn't report the robbery? Who knows.

All I know is that there are a group of us surfers and fisherman I know who will never drive into Mexico again, not simply because of the robbery, but the response of the police, and the fact that they were followed again.

My buddy had Mex insurance, but doesn't know what it will cover. He lost at least 30K of stuff, but does not care at all. He's just glad to be home with his wife and kids.

BDers, this is a real story that happened only yesterday. A few of you know me, and know that I would not spread BS whatsover. Be careful."

Again shame on you simple minded people who are quick to judge others especially by the website they are a member to!

Halibut Howie
One of the 1st BDs members
FAA, Program Manager, BSEE
National Airspace System Programs & Planning
Southern California & State of Arizona

[Edited on 9-5-2007 by howat]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by howat
I read about the other reported TJ robbery on this website from a few days ago and was quite appalled how a few of you doubted it ever happened and made rude comments about members of the Bloodydecks fishing website (I could not find that thread so am commenting on this similar event). Other than allowing words that a lot of of us use in our daily conversations with others, it's just a fishing forum for us to use to pass on information from fishing mainly in socal and baja but has expanded to norcal and the east in recent years. Shame on those of you who made those comments without knowing what you are talking about. i thought you were taught better or are older than your words make you out to be. Now about the other robbery. The original thread must have been removed by the BD's moderator because it's no longer there so I did not read it. 2nd hand info says it was in very bad taste but that's a credit to the BD's moderator for removing it. Here's an excerpt from today on BD's from a friend of those robbed. He's a respected teached in San Diego.

Halibut Howie

Never doubted the incident happened, and I have a son who belongs to that forum. Frankly, the language used was not what I found offensive, but the really hateful bashing of Mexico by some. It happens on other forums and is just as offensive when it happens. It is also very counterproductive in seeking remedies.

I do think people should be duly warned. I agree with what 805greg said and could add lots of other areas. We have made the choice to not drive that part of the road at those times, just as we don't drive in many areas north of the border at those times---that is our choice.

The incident needed reporting and it was ugly, but that thread became very ugly---

JMHO
Diane

[Edited on 9-5-2007 by jdtrotter]

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
I wouldn't want to be in La Colina (in Oxnard) or Logan Heights (in San Diego) at 3 am, why were you driving through TJ at that time?

I wouldn't drive through my own neighborhood in Anaheim at that time of night.... just ten days ago a man was gunned down at 2:30 am about fifty feet from my apartment bldg.

CaaboRon

I live less than two miles from Disneyland !
H*ll, about six months ago the paper guy was robbed at gunpoint about four am in front of the bldg.

x

[Edited on 9-5-2007 by CaboRon]

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg

Good point actually. We left our home in Mission Bay at 3 a.m headed for Bahia Asuncion and travelled through that very area around 3:45 never even giving it a second thought.

At that point we were just happy to be on the road and getting some money out for the first toll.

We were on Vacation!

I will give it a second thought next time I pass through there.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:11 PM

Sometimes "ugly" is needed to get the point across. Although only to a certain point. How many tourists is this going to scare away? I like to cross the border at 0300 to 0400 to make Loreto in one day. I guess we better be ready to hammer the throttle and drive past this crap. Not good!!!
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:26 PM

It simply defies common sense that ANYONE would voluntarily drive a new vehicle loaded with toys thru Tijuana at 4AM, ever!!!

Then again, Common sense isn't very common these days. :no:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
It simply defies common sense that ANYONE would voluntarily drive a new vehicle loaded with toys thru Tijuana at 4AM, ever!!!

Then again, Common sense isn't very common these days. :no:

So, these days, what time is safe?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 11:41 PM

Bad stuff happens everywhere now... so sad this world is going down the toilet.

Another route south might be the nearly deserted Blvd. 2000 from Otay Crossing. Banditos will have to wait too long for victims out there!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 12:05 AM

The previousl robbery article was posted in the "fishing chit-chat" forum of BloodyDecks. Most of the people who responded were not regulars on the Baja section of BD.
As a matter of fact, I posted a link to the original post so people in the Baja section could see it...it was deleted.
This new one is posted in the Baja section and seems to be getting a little more sympathy.

If I've made myself clear, it must be about the first time....

Tecate isn't that far out of the way, amigos...
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 02:20 AM

Quote:
I read about the other reported TJ robbery on this website from a few days ago and was quite appalled how a few of you doubted it ever happened and made rude comments about members of the Bloodydecks fishing website (I could not find that thread so am commenting on this similar event). Other than allowing words that a lot of of us use in our daily conversations with others, it's just a fishing forum for us to use to pass on information from fishing mainly in socal and baja but has expanded to norcal and the east in recent years. Shame on those of you who made those comments without knowing what you are talking about. i thought you were taught better or are older than your words make you out to be. Now about the other robbery. The original thread must have been removed by the BD's moderator because it's no longer there so I did not read it. 2nd hand info says it was in very bad taste but that's a credit to the BD's moderator for removing it.

Again shame on you simple minded people who are quick to judge others especially by the website they are a member to!

Halibut Howie

Howat, I never doubted the veracity of the incident, I was however, offended by both the crude language and the extremely derogatory & racial comments made by follow-up posters on BD.

Personally, I find it very interesting that you'd attempt to "shame" people for honest reactions to filth in a post you admittedly never even read before it was eventually removed from BD! I feel no shame whatsoever for being offended by either the language, or the racial slurs. If, as you appear to indicate here, the entire post was removed, rather than just the offensive responses, that was DB's call. The original post sounded like an honest accounting of a real incident to me, and I'm surprised it would have been removed. But please be advised that over 90% of the responses were stated using words "a lot of of us" DON'T USE NOR TOLERATE "in our daily conversations with others". Maybe if you'd have seen the BD post, then you'd have a better understanding for some of the negativity posted here. Yes, some challenged the validity of the information, but I think most of the negativity was in response to vile follow-up posters comments.

Your closing comment of "shame on you simple minded people who are quick to judge others" certainly sounds like the pot speaking to the kettle! Shame on you for judging others for expressing honest reactions to posts you admittedly never read! Judge not lest ye be judged! ;)
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
I read about the other reported TJ robbery on this website from a few days ago and was quite appalled how a few of you doubted it ever happened and made rude comments about members of the Bloodydecks fishing website (I could not find that thread so am commenting on this similar event). Other than allowing words that a lot of of us use in our daily conversations with others, it's just a fishing forum for us to use to pass on information from fishing mainly in socal and baja but has expanded to norcal and the east in recent years. Shame on those of you who made those comments without knowing what you are talking about. i thought you were taught better or are older than your words make you out to be. Now about the other robbery. The original thread must have been removed by the BD's moderator because it's no longer there so I did not read it. 2nd hand info says it was in very bad taste but that's a credit to the BD's moderator for removing it.

Halibut Howie

Howat, I never doubted the veracity of the incident, I was however, offended by both the crude language and the extremely derogatory & racial comments made by follow-up posters on BD.

Personally, I find it very interesting that you'd attempt to "shame" people for honest reactions to filth in a post you admittedly never even read before it was eventually removed from BD! I feel no shame whatsoever for being offended by either the language, or the racial slurs. If, as you appear to indicate here, the entire post was removed, rather than just the offensive responses, that was DB's call. The original post sounded like an honest accounting of a real incident to me, and I'm surprised it would have been removed. But please be advised that over 90% of the responses were stated using words "a lot of of us" DON'T USE NOR TOLERATE "in our daily conversations with others". Maybe if you'd have seen the BD post, then you'd have a better understanding for some of the negativity posted here. Yes, some challenged the validity of the information, but I think most of the negativity was in response to vile follow-up posters comments.

Your closing comment of "shame on you simple minded people who are quick to judge others" certainly sounds like the pot speaking to the kettle! Shame on you for judging others for expressing honest reactions to posts you admittedly never read! Judge not lest ye be judged! ;)

Howie,

I agree with everything that longlegs has stated.

Even the name "bloodydecks" give us a clue as to the level of the forum.

-CaboRon

[Edited on 9-5-2007 by CaboRon]

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 07:24 AM

it use to my gameplan WAS to cruise through tj around 4am-nothing was really happening and nobody was out and about, plus you got through rosarito, ensenada,etc. before sun-up and any hectic stuff happening....(traffic, copps, shake-downs, etc).six years ago i got pulled over for no reason other than to pay some young cop some $.(it was coming down off steep hill and just turned onto main hwy.)it was 4:30 am. part of me wanted to go to poilice dept. knowing i did nothing wrong, but figured at that hour it wasn't really worth it, so i paid and pressed on.since then, it seems i(we) hear more and more of bad things happening in those once desolate, wee hours of the morning-carjackings and shootings on hwy. around rosarito, this stuff in tj...i'll no longer cross the border in those early hours. seems the bad guys have figured out it's a great time to pull off their bad deeds...
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-5-2007 at 07:47 AM

Sounds like I was lucky to get pulled over by a real cop at 5:45am two weeks ago, and only lost $50....

And, at least, there is some police presence in the area at that time in the morning.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.