Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alta California
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 08:07 AM
Alta California

Sept 9, 1850 The American Congress formally admits "Upper California", as a State of the Union -leaving Mexico only "Lower (Baja) California".

VIVA BAJA!

...from mexconnect.com
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 09:29 AM

For all you history lovers out there with a little time to read..

Check out this passage from Clarence King's, "Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada" that was written in the Mid- 1800's about his explorations in the Sierras.

It is just one chapter from that book. It gives you a feel of California in 1864, as Clarence is chased across the Central Valley on horseback by two Spanish/Mexican bandits.

http://www.abovecalifornia.com/lib/ClaranceKing/MOUNTAINEERING/06.php
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 10:03 AM

Ah, for those good old daya when political incorrectness was okay! Thanks, Mango, that was interesting. I've read some of Clarence King's professional reports, but had no idea he was so adventurous.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 11:39 AM
A Good Day

There can be no question that "Alta" California becoming part of the United States of America was absolutely the best thing that could have happened, then and now. The Mexicans I know wish that Baja California would have the same fate.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
There can be no question that "Alta" California becoming part of the United States of America was absolutely the best thing that could have happened, then and now. The Mexicans I know wish that Baja California would have the same fate.

Just curious; how do you feel about your second sentence?:rolleyes:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 01:26 PM
Self-Interest FIRST

From a personal standpoint, I am happy that it didn't become a part of the U.S. The cost of coastal living would have been beyond my reach. That's true of the vast majority of foreign residents up until recent years. Living in a third-world economy on a first-world salary or pension is what attracted the mass of foreigners and is still true for most.

Setting aside my own interests and looking at it from a practical standpoint today, I am unsure, but skeptical that it would be a good deal for the U.S. The consequences of so many years of poor infrastructure installation and maintenance would result in astronomical costs to bring things up to U.S. (even rural deep-south) standards. Since Baja has a limited number of natural resources and would enjoy no industrial advantages as a part of the U.S., the principal income potential is from foreign investment for vacation or residential and we're already seeing the shortcomings of that source.

While it's far more interesting to think about than musing over my Aunt growing Cojones, I don't see it as a logical possibility.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 01:36 PM

It was in 1824 that alta and baja California was designated as a territory of the newly established Federal Republic of Mexico. The Miwok indians of the San Joaquin Valley rise in rebellion.

In 1936, Californios (Mexican I surmise) revolt against Mexico and declare California a republic. Mexico co-opts (edit) the movement by upgrading California from a territory to a department and making the leader of the revolt, Juan Bautista Alvarado, the new governor.

(From Kevin Starr's "California")

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 05:00 PM

Very interesting history lesson. Thank you all. Mr. Bill. thank you for your response, but your "Aunt growing cajones"?:o
:lol:

sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 05:18 PM
cojones

not cajones :lol:

as in, "if the queen had b@&&s she'd be the king.:bounce:

drawers would not work so well...:biggrin:

lili
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 07:35 PM
Confusing ?

The "Cojones" reference was to a comment made by Oso on the "Mexican Independence Day" Thread.

Actually, Baja California would stand a better chance of becoming part of the U.S. than the "Aunt" thing. I've never had an Aunt. My mother was an only child and my father's only sibling died in early childhood.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 10:27 PM

Quote:

In 1936, Californios (Mexican I surmise) revolt against Mexico and declare California a republic. Mexico co-opts (edit) the movement by upgrading California from a territory to a department and making the leader of the revolt, Juan Bautista Alvarado, the new governor.

it make ones wonder how mexico feels about he average "hose A'???

GOD (i'm not a zealot!) i can't wait until the "chanklas" are on the other foot.......:?:

edit:gringo spelling...

[Edited on 9-9-2007 by woody in ob]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.