Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What shocks for That Road to Gonzaga Bay
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:39 AM
What shocks for That Road to Gonzaga Bay

We just got back from a trip in our Tundra to Gonzaga Bay on That Road south of Puertecitos. We busted a rear shock on the four inch washboard and the river bottom boulders that pass for a road bed.

We are gonna have the Tundra all fixed up before the next trip. We have FabTech coil over shocks on the front that perform well. We are gonna put either Rancho Adjustables or Fox adjustables on the rear. We busted the Bilsteins that were on there...and Bilstien doesn't make an adjustable shock to far as I find out.

I would really appreciate any knowledge or input all your experience off road nuts have on this.:?:
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:14 AM
shocks

Yes..Fox has an adjustable...saw it yesterday. What do you mean by "no comparison"...does that mean Fox is better or worse than Rancho?

Thanks
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:20 AM

Define "busted". Did the shock fail due to heat and begin leaking or did it shear off at a mount?

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:22 AM

He means that Fox are much better than Rancho - no comparison, I agree. Do you happen to remember the model of the adjustable you saw?
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 12:02 PM

I wore out my 1-1/2 year old Rancho's on a 2 week trip to Baja sur, I guess they didn't like my 50 mph run to Asuncion. It wallowed like ad old buick when I got back . I just got Old Man Emu's put on yesterday, much better, OME makes shocks and struts for your Tundra.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
I didn't know Fox built an adjustable shock.No comparision between Fox and Rancho.Go Fox.

Fox... they ain't gonna be cheap...

http://www.milneroffroad.com/FOXPRICE2.HTM

Bob H
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:03 PM
busted shocks

My Bilsteins lost fluid and stopped providing shock absorbsion...we were bottoming out. But I don't fault the shocks too much even though they are "guaranteed for life." The temperature was 111 F, the "road" was the worst in the world and I was overloaded in a half ton pick up by about 600#. If the shock hadn't failed I would have bought the company.

I'm gonna install Fox adjustables after the input I have gotten here.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:10 PM

Fox are the right choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Could you point me towards the adjustable model? I haven't heard of one either, unless they are adjustable by varying gas pressure and valving, which is not something a typical end user is equipped to do.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 08:12 PM

P.S. Since you are shelling out the bucks for the good stuff, make sure you get a shock with a remote reservoir - it makes a real difference in reducing operating temperatures, and thus increasing functionality and part life.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 09:34 PM

"Fox... they ain't gonna be cheap...

http://www.milneroffroad.com/FOXPRICE2.HTM"

That must be a site from England. Those prices are in the British pound.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

puzzled.gif posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:02 AM
Shocks??

What with all the great trucks out there today why all the shock problems?

With a old Dodge we made the trip several times a year,car topping a boat,water,gas and kids,and the road was hell to pay but fun and this is in the mid 60,s and 70,s,never lost a shock!!But did have a few other problems like battery brackets breaking,entire exhaust systems falling off and the like:lol:

Would someone please inlighten me.
BAITCAST
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 08:41 AM

I understand what your saying Whistler ,mine was a 3/4 T and very tight,perhaps speed had something to do with it:lol: and overloaded!!

I guess the new road encourages a little to much speed ya think:rolleyes:
BAITCAST
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:17 AM

The Rancho 9000 is a popular adj. shock, I didn't know Fox had an adjustable, if so it should be OK. The better shocks would be one with a seperate resovoir. Fox and Pro Comp are a couple at $150-200 each. You would have to check to see if they make em for your truck. The problem with any stock replacement shock is that they are not really designed for that type of driving. You would have to use shocks that the prerunners and racers use like King, Fox etc, but that will cost you big bucks.

That said, the next best thing to do is make sure the shock you do use is free to travel the length your truck will put it through. The first part takes a little estimating in that with the shock fully collapsed (disconnect it at one end)calculate the shock length as if the truck was bottomed out or hitting it's stop. Next Use a jack, a floor jack is best, and with the shock off, jack up the frame at that wheel. Measure the distance. This will give you the extended and collapsed measurements for the shock you'll need, maybe add a 1/4 to 1/2 inch for safety then compare it to the one your buying. If the shock you buy will hit it's limit while your driving down the bad roads they are going to break. Some auto makers specify a shock with a limit stop. I've never understood why or how a stock shock is going to limit a 100+ lb wheel and A frame bouncing down a road. One time I got my Bilstein front shocks so hot on that road it melted the rubber boot.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:44 PM
Shocks for That Road

I really appreciate all the good input I have gotten. I am a newby dummy about this stuff...thought my Tundra 4X4 TRD was ready for anything. Then I installed new..not OEM Bilstiens....on the back and FabTech coil over shocks on the front and it handled the washboard better.

But with about 600 # more than the truck is designed to haul, 111F and four inch washboard "road" with periodic river bed boulders for a road bed the poor Bilstiens failed...melted the cover off of one and the fluid leaked out. The other shock did not fail but it sure looks bad. A friend who was riding along happened to bring two Rancho adjustable shocks with us. We had to grind the top ends and rebush them down there on the beach to make them fit. But they performed just fine getting us home with a small load.

Off Road Warehouse suggests Fox shocks with an external reservoir and adjustability....about $265 per each. That is a little pricey and I don't think I'll have to haul that big a load again and the Mexicans finally appear to be serious about fixing That Road.

I am a novice on it...only five round trips in the last year in the Tundra....because we usually fly down there. That destroys your perspective....the 50 miles of That Road south of Puertecitos that takes us 2.5 - 3 hours to drive and which busts the shocks takes us about 15 minutes to fly.

But I want the Tundra ready for just about anything. It looks as though the FabTechs on the front are good enough. It looks as though the Ranchos on the rear ain't....and I think adjustable shocks makes sense.

Off Road Warehouse says the Fox adjustables are custom built for each truck. If that is so I think the cost may be justied.

If anyone thinks otherwise or has better ideas I'd like the hear them.

The nose wheel shimmy damper on our bird needs new O rings every year that cost 50 cents but, if you forget to replace them, and the damper rod gets spalled you gotta buy a new damper for $1500.00. That's an expensive shock.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:47 PM
goof on the message above

Sorry 'bout that...the grinding and rebushing was on the lower mounts of the shocks not the tops
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 09:50 PM
Goof on the above message

Sorry 'bout that...the grinding and re bushing on the Ranchos was on the bottom not the tops.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:39 AM

[Fox shocks with an external reservoir and adjustability....about $265 per each. ]

BB you may think in the short run they are more costly but in the long run an external reservoir is multiple times better than any shock without it. It will run cooler and last longer. Whistler is probably right, by adjustable they mean when rebuilding it, not by turning a knob, although if it was like a motorcycle shock it could have a knob.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:49 AM

anther thing-check out super springs, out of carpenteria.california. they make a real good "add a leaf" unit, that comes into play only when truck is loaded....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:52 AM

Pappy thats what I need.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:32 AM

Buy a H1 that's going to solve the problem...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.