Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Loreto Construction
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:44 PM
Loreto Construction

Okay, I haven't been paying too much attention to mention of construction activities in Loreto, but today Iguana Inn just cancelled all reservations for the month of October. Something about the street in front being torn up and sewage drifting toward the malecon. What exactly is going on? What streets are affected? Where now can I get a quiet nights sleep? Thanks for the insights. JK
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 04:55 PM

I was just coming online because I am so-o-o disappointed:( Just found out that we will not be able to stay at the Iguana Inn on the 19th of Oct!!!!!
Does anybody have another recommendation for accomodation that will accept our perros? One suggestion was Gail at Quinta San Francisco but not too crazy about the parking.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jk
Okay, I haven't been paying too much attention to mention of construction activities in Loreto, but today Iguana Inn just cancelled all reservations for the month of October. Something about the street in front being torn up and sewage drifting toward the malecon. What exactly is going on? What streets are affected? Where now can I get a quiet nights sleep? Thanks for the insights. JK

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by Don Alley]

J.jpg - 37kB
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:22 PM

Holy ****! That is serious! And it'll take a month to fix/repair? Not good. I think I'll put my visit off 'till November.

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by Hose A]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:22 PM

Well this explains a lot. I'm staying overnight on Oct 20 on the way to La Paz and was having a hard time finding a room anywhere. I was finally able to get a room at Oasis.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:44 PM

daneab, did you get something at Oasis for less than US$125? jk
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:47 PM

Russ, at the present rate of construction I would be very surprised if it is done in a month.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 06:51 PM

JK - that was the rate I got for a poolside room - beach side was more. At this point I was glad to get anything.

Dana

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 07:30 PM

If you have an FM3 Oasis will give you a discount

danaeb
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
If you have an FM3 Oasis will give you a discount

Thanks Judy - I do and I'll certainly ask for it. (I mean the discount)

Jig

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 08:02 PM

I know that pictures are worth a thousand words, but, I live here and I really don't think it is as bad as the one day picture that is being displayed above. The street is B. Juarez, the same street of the location of the Iguana Inn. Mike and Julie are doing a good job by notifying their customers of the problem. Their street is a mess and probably will be for a couple of weeks or more. They should be commended for cancelling these reservations. Currently the street of Juarez is almost finished down to Madero. The street is going to be stamped concrete from Independencia to the Malecon. The town is naviatable with some detours. The Malecon is open and so are most resturants. Naturally, when they tear up a street and have a hurricane come through the streets are going to be a mess. The sewer did overflow with the heavy rains which it normally does. Right now they are in the process of hooking up the sewer to the remodeled pump station at the Malecon and as the concrete gets done above Independencia it will continue the rest of the way. I'm sure Loreto is doing everything to get the streets ready for the first cruise ship due here in October.
Julie and Mike are showing their responsibility for their guests and I'm sure they don't want their guests to have a unpleasant experience.
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 07:33 AM

I commended Mike and Julie in an email to them for their forthrightness in dealing with the problem. And I thank all for the insights. JK
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 07:34 AM

The hurricane that came through did not come through at all as its center was about 100 miles away from us. henriette produced lettle rain so canīt blame ANY of the MESS that the center of town is in on any weather events and thatīs a FACT.

This disaster is man made. I am sorry to post the truth but the powers that be are in over their heads with the problems. Fact is that the sewage lines under Juarez were a huge mess and the ingineros are miffed as to how to solve them.

Nobody mentioned the signs on the only small public beach that say "donīt drink the water" in english and spanish along with an image of a person swimming with a cirels and line through the swimmer. So what kind cryptic message is that? donīt drink the water! hell, ruined my day as I had planned to bottle some and take it home to drink, WTF? In plain language it means donīt swin in the water because the city is dumping raw sewage into the water and contaminating local swimming beaches,. How about the truth at some point?

I also live here and it IS as bad as that one day photo posted above. In fact this has been going on for weeks and it will take weeks to months to repair. That build up of block on top of that pumping station was put there to reduce the horrible smell coming off the thing, crap you would practically choke to death just driving by it it was so bad. Yes they are putting stamped concrete on the streets after years and years of our paying taxes we certainly deserve it but are those water lines and sewage lines going to be set properly I seriously doubt it. I am sorry that Mike and Julie have to lost weeks of business over this, join the club bec ause the rest of Loreto in the town center has lost many many days, weeks and months of business. :mad:

photos below were taken on Saturday afternoon 15 September, 2007. Please realize that with the shoreline properties all being bought up that they are also being fenced off and privitized and there is becoming very little area for the people of town to swim on 110 degree days. Many people do not have cars or boats so canīt easily access remote beaches so this is what they are left with. It is truly a disgrace!

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by flyfishinPam]

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by flyfishinPam]
edinnopolo
Nomad

Mood: laid back

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 07:59 AM

The structure you see on the right of Don's pic. is the round block wall build around the pump station. Like Pam says, the stink there is horrendous and this is the Mexican way to solve it. Hide it.
Pretty hard to wall-in a stink.:P:P
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edinnopolo
The structure you see on the right of Don's pic. is the round block wall build around the pump station. Like Pam says, the stink there is horrendous and this is the Mexican way to solve it. Hide it.

The "Mexican way" is due to the lack of funds and perhaps expertise in small towns. King Butterfield should put some money where his mouth is. But, it's still a bit early for the winter marketing blitz. No need to finish repairs before the frostbacks arrive.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 10:24 AM

I'm up in the states right now; I've received several photos from a couple of people in Loreto and have posted a couple, because it's a pain in the neck for some to resize and post photos.

Then I wondered if I should of, and if I talk to much.:rolleyes: Oh well.

Anyway, I got an email from Julie and she sent more pics from this morning and the lower end of Calle Juarez still looks much the same. Still "water" flowing down through the mud. I'm sure this is tough for Mike and Julie and their new employees, and for the newer bar, hotel, dive shop and restaurant down the street.

I'm optimistic, though, that we'll end up with a great street there. The upper, finished portion of the street looks good with great sidewalks: we could see skateboarders on it!

Hopefully, there will not be a new sewage aquifer underneath, running to the Malecon.:o

It's a small, isolated town in Mexico, and I don't see how anyone, perhaps excepting some clueless big developers, could expect Loreto to tackle the projects it faces without some significant growing pains. But it's sometimes hard to maintain a detached amusement at the antics of the government officials down there. And that must be impossible if they are putting you out of work.:no:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
But it's sometimes hard to maintain a detached amusement at the antics of the government officials down there. And that must be impossible if they are putting you out of work.:no:

tough on business is an understatement. remember when weīre closed we still have to continue paying, employees salaries, social security, infanovit, taxes state fed local, electricity, telephone, banking fees, the list goes on. the hotel owners still are required to pay their employees salaries wether or not they work, they also have to pay their employment taxes. if they choose to lay off their workers it will cost $1K each (Dollars) minimum. to say this is hurting business is a serious understatement made by those who have retired here and are not still making a living trying to feed their families.

wonder how those new condos on the corner of Juarez and malecon will do with thieer view obstructed and that steeeeench?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

lol.gif posted on 9-18-2007 at 03:34 PM
that is absurd

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
Quote:
Originally posted by edinnopolo

The "Mexican way" is due to the lack of funds and perhaps expertise in small towns. King Butterfield should put some money where his mouth is. But, it's still a bit early for the winter marketing blitz. No need to finish repairs before the frostbacks arrive.

Why should LB subsidize city utilities publics works projects?

i was going to say, you wouldn't see this kind of civil works management there. Oh wait..........i see it now....tax the rico developers to pay for the town's infrastructure. Yeah, that's the ticket.....wealth re distribution. That should work, what's another $100K to add to the price of a condo, why the average fat cat buying one could care less........cause he's probably rich.

ok.........i am ready to receive dubious rebounds now.:lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 04:32 PM

I don't think this is a dubious rebound...just an observation.

It is not at all unusual, or to my mind, unreasonable for a city, town, etc. to expect a new developer to contribute to the existing infrastructure which they are using...water, sewer, roads, schools, etc. Given the size of the projected LB...which would at the very least double Loreto's population, they should be contributing to repairs and improvements that will be needed because of increased use. Perhaps they are...someone who lives in Loreto full time would likely know.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-18-2007 at 04:57 PM

sure, it happens all the time - melo roos taxes and development fees tacked onto the entitlement processes when a project goes before the board of supervisors.

but is LB really in Loreto's city limits/jurisdiction?
and if the intent was for permits fees surcharges they would have been enacted during the approvals processes, the funds would have been impounded into the treasury for disbursement on capital improvements projects as the city sees fit without a special assessments action for things out of an operating budget.

I dunno - maybe LB by decree is or has funded some infrastructure improvements tied to their master plan. but if so the company already made the biz decision to participate. If not - they should have no responsibility beyond the property taxes they are creating for the benefit of all locals.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.