Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Salt and Salvation
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 05:36 PM
Salt and Salvation

I buy a lot of potato chips. So does my wife. I buy those Con Sal de Mar - my wife buys Casera. They make all kinds of chips with all kinds of salt. Eventually the desal plants will be coming to Baja so if the bakeries could get ahead of the curve they could market things like "Loreto con Sal Desal" or "Mulege con sal de desal con vitaminas naturales". The thing could spread and help the whales "GN sal de mar con minerales buenos para ballenos" We could hold mock trials for those gringo caught eating chips "Sin Sal". C'mon, get on the desal band wagon and help Baja California survive the "gold rush".
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 05:49 PM

OK, Im on the wagon. No, Im not on the wagon.....Im on the bandwagon but first I have to ask. If salt doesn't originate in the sea, where does it come from? Are there other sources? [ not counting Vons and Ralphs ]
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 05:53 PM

Osprey,
Howbout Sabritas Loreto. 10 % Papas 90% Sal. This might take a marketing guru though. Could maybe put a new spin on Cabo Chips,
ferinstance, Eat Our Chips, You won't need Sal on your Margarita!
Or howbout: Dispite all clinical reports: 2 kilos of Sal a day is what your body really needs due to global warming.
I think Pacifico should be downed with no lime but a handful of
Sal.
What think you other folks?
If we all get aboard this bandwagon, the golf courses in our desert will all florish, I personally hate salty greens!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Google "wipp Carlsbad"

--Larry

It's a load of waste info but I saw a brief mention of Rock Salt. Is that what you mean? If so, it's formed by salt water evaporation as well.
Maybe I missed your reference, Larry. I'm only curious because of the claims of sea salt superiority. Superior to what if all salt is sea salt?
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:27 PM

Dennis,

Dern is making me post this reply;

"Chef" from Southpark had some chocolate salty balls that I don't think came from the sea."

Regrettably,
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:42 PM

Goodgollygosh darnn, Dennis , you ain't gettin tha point here"
Rock Sal, Inoinized Sal from Kansas, Sal from Columbia, Mormon Sal
from the great Sal lake, ain't got the quality or the salinity of our own homegrown SAL, We need Sal from wherever we can get it for Margaritas,
Hide tanning, table use, bath sal for the ladies, the more Sal we all use, the less global warming,we could even find a way to use Sal to fight terrorism, for instance put Sal around and in desert waterholes, Camels will die from Sal poisoning, and Arabs will be afoot, and easier to pick off from the air,with less munitions expended!! Saves tax dollars, you see!!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:49 PM

Mike......
Now it's clear. Everything is sal-crystal clear except the part way up there about the chocolate salty balls which I'm sure are best left ununderstood.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:50 PM
Other way round

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
If salt doesn't originate in the sea, where does it come from? Are there other sources? [ not counting Vons and Ralphs ]

The seas are simply repositories. Salt originates on land. Salt sediments are carried by rivers to the sea.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:56 PM

Does that mean when the earth was covered with water, it was fresh? One big ball of Perrier?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 07:11 PM
While I am often mistaken for God...

Quote:
Does that mean when the earth was covered with water, it was fresh? One big ball of Perrier?

I really don't have a clue.

Ask her.

And it was evening and morning the first day.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 07:11 PM

Much of the salt in the ocean is produced by the ongoing volcanic eruptions in the mid-ocean ridges that occur at the bottom of all the major oceans.. These are the sources of the tectonic plates that push continents apart as the molten laval rises to the surface of the crust, cools and solidifies. A lot of salts are released in the process.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 07:23 PM

Let's drink
To the hard-working people
Let's drink
To the lowly of birth
Raise your glass
To the good and the evil
Let's drink
To the salt of the earth

………Rolling Stones

According to Time magazine this week you can buy online "a 24 jar sampler of salts whose origins range from Italy to India for $165". I wonder if any comes from Guererro Negro?

Something tells me the true salt of the earth won't be buying the sampler:lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 07:27 PM

OK...... I'm still where I was, caught between Genesis and the center of the earth.
Is there any salt used in the processing of food that could not be classified as sea salt?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 07:41 PM

That's amazing. 2000 feet down and no supports on the walls or overhead. An eerie looking place.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
That's amazing. 2000 feet down and no supports on the walls or overhead. An eerie looking place.

It is called uniformity of texture. I think...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 09:24 PM

I'm with you, Dennis. I've always had that same issue with the salt snobs. There are different crystal sizes, and those can give one a different experience, but to me, salt is salt is sodium chloride.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 09:52 PM

Sorry but there is a huge difference in the taste of salt (and I don't want to sound like a snob). The only salt consumed in my house is "mar de cortes" packaged I think by "sal bahia". Ingredients per the package is "sal de cocina yodada, 100% natural de mar".
I buy it south of the border and when I buy it it's very wet and almost a brown color. It keeps very well when we're by the ocean but a ***** to keep dry and separated here in the dry desert climate. It has a very clean taste and nothing we can buy here in the states compares with it. I never knew there was a difference in salt until I purchased and tried this gem! There's no way I would ever pay the premium for the egyptian premium salt but you should really try this $.50 per kilo bag of salt. I believe it will change your opinion.

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by Hose A]
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-20-2007 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Mike......
Now it's clear. Everything is sal-crystal clear except the part way up there about the chocolate salty balls which I'm sure are best left ununderstood.

"ununderstood"...............I like it!:spingrin:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
Ingredients per the package is "sal de cocina yodada, 100% natural de mar".

Sal yodada, 100% natural de mar.
Isn't that a contradiction? The sal I'm sure comes from the sea. That's 100%. But, the iodine has been added to protect your health, so you won't in later years be walking down the aisle at the grocery store carrying your goiter in the shopping cart. Iodine helps prevent thyroid problems. That's why it has been added. I guess it's a 100% additive.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
Ingredients per the package is "sal de cocina yodada, 100% natural de mar".

Sal yodada, 100% natural de mar.
Isn't that a contradiction? The sal I'm sure comes from the sea. That's 100%. But, the iodine has been added to protect your health, so you won't in later years be walking down the aisle at the grocery store carrying your goiter in the shopping cart. Iodine helps prevent thyroid problems. That's why it has been added. I guess it's a 100% additive.

"sal de cocina yodada"?...............YoMama!
All of it originated in a supermarket in Philly.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.