BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: We must all have a history!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 04:19 PM
We must all have a history!

Memories are to be cherished, packed away, or discarded much like yesterdays news.

Here are a few of mine and I hope that some of you care enough about Baja to save them from being discarded…As for me I am taking the suggestions of a few and I am moving on.

Here are a few of the books I have cherished, thumbed through to feel the history of Baja. Most of them have been used, at least as background for my Bano Books on Baja. I tried hard to capture the people and times of my Baja and many have smiled on my efforts.

It has been fun but I have been passed by and it is time to move on……………….

So I have packed my collection, as small as it is, about Baja in three boxes and these will be used to list the books I offer to all of you youngens to aide you in your search for what Baja is really about.

Should any title stir your interest feel free to contact me at bernie@mibaja,com with an offer to save them from the vandals of the ages. Tell me what you offer and we will see if we can come to an agreement…….the agreement will be more easily agreed upon if you love for Baja shows through……

Most of the books listed are in the 15.00 to 30.00 dollar range but a few are considered fairly good wine and run from 50.00 to a 100.00 dollar range.

Just remember that I am a simple guy who is touched by those who really love Baja and I will adjust the price to reflect that mutual love.

Tears removed and fingers poised to list much of …………………Enough here they are:

Box #1

In a Few Words by Jose Burciage 1997
California by Howard Fairbanks 1922
Observations/lower California by Baegert 1771
Camp and Camino in Lower California by Arthur North 1910
The Forgotten Peninsula by Krutch 1961
Lower California Guide book by Gerhard & Gulick 1956, 1962,1965, 1967
Lower California Frontier by Shipek 1965
Delfina Cuero by Shipek 1991 (used this one a lot in my stories about Brujas)
Baja California Railroads by Kirchner
Adventures in Baja by Mike Mc Mahan ( if you look at a map around Scammons Lagoon you will find that the Mexicans have honored him with his own little spot.)
There it is …..Baja by Mike (above) 1974
Almost an Island by Berger 1999
Bouncing down to Baja by Wortman (in a WII jeep) 1954

Baja California by Ralph Hanc-ck 1953
History of Lower California by Pablo Martinez 1960 ( this guy spent his life recording the happenings of Baja…….including the births)
Pirates on the West Coast of New Spain by Peter Gerhard 1960
The Manila Galleon by Willian Schurz 1933
Baja Feeling by Ben Hunter 1978
One Hell of a Ride by Fredarico 2004 ( this guy ended up in jail because he decided not to pay mordida……….You guys and gals who think you can make a buck or two should read his story)
Across the Wire by Luis Urrea 1993 ( A Mexican author who nails it when it comes to the horrors just south of the border….extremely sad...and true
The book of Tequila by Emmons 1997
God and Mister Gomez by Jack Smith ( most of us considered it the bible when it came to building in Baja……….We had a party for Mr Gomez in the Cantina when we found that he had moved on)
Baja California by Choral Pepper ( remember David K) 1973

Enough this old guy is tired. More to follow

[Edited on 9-30-2007 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 04:53 PM

Very nice list. I hope they find good homes.

I think most of those titles (pre-1990's) are in boxes at my mom's place from my dad's Baja book collection; so I'll let others make offers.

I know at least one of those is very likely worth in excess of $100....

[Edited on 9-28-2007 by Taco de Baja]

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 05:28 PM

Bernie,

I've sent you an email about one of your books listed, "God and Mr. Gomez", my history with that book, as well as two others that are not on your list.

Keep an eye out for me!

Paulina<*)))><

Edit: I added the title of the book I desire, so none of you other guys ask for it!!!

[Edited on 29-9-2007 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 08:51 PM

whats happenning Bernie I hope all is well with you and yours
I for one have always injoyed your writings. Your written word has vividly displayed much of bajas people and places as I see them your way of putting baja into words is a talent that few if any can compare with I want to hear more If you choose to speak--- if not?
Your words will echo between the sea and mountains of baja forever and in the laughes of the children.
Because baja is where your heart is at
Thank you again Bernie
Jerry and Judi

jerry and judi
Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 09:42 PM

Bernie ~

I echo Jerry's post. I have enjoyed all your threads and posts so much and love the way you write about Baja. Your words take me to places I’ll never get to see in person and make me feel like I’ve been there. I hope the words of some critical so and so’s have not hurt you. There are many of us who love you and your writing. It is not always easy to share one’s thoughts and experiences, but you do a marvelous job. I, too, hope everything is okay in your life. The remark about being passed by brought a tear to my eye.

You had a post not long ago where you were introspective about why you write and I identified with it. I meant to post a comment, but was interrupted and never got back to it. Now I am sorry. I hope you continue to write, even if we don’t have the privilege of getting to read your thoughts and experiences. I, too, have been writing short snippets about my life here and sending it to friends back home. One piece will be published in a small magazine for writers in my old home town. You were an inspiration to me to share things that tickled or expressed what this new life in Baja is opening up for me.

I hope all your wonderful books find homes with a love of Baja!

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2007 at 09:49 PM

Bernie, if it's not already taken, I'd sure appreciate Florence Shipek's Last California Frontier.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 12:38 PM

"It has been fun but I have been passed by and it is time to move on"

Bernie,
It's difficult to interpret your meaning here. If you're tired and don't want to continue posting your memories here I say thank you for your wonderful contribution and wish you happiness in your travels.
I've been a lurker for so many years and just recently became a poster. I've never commented on your posts because I've only come to know Baja in the last 18 years and can't possibly comment because your posts are so beautiful and historical. But I love your posts because they bring history to the places that I've so recently come to love. And through your posts I've come to love (and envy) you. Until I read your posts I didn't know why I cried every time I crossed the border into Mexico. I thought maybe I was just crazy! But when I read your articles they touch the deepest part of my soul and I understand the history and love I'm feeling when I cross the border into our cherished land.

As I said before, if you're tired and don't want to continue your posts, thank you so much for what you've contributed. But if somehow you've had your feelings hurt, please don't check out! I'm so very happy when I get to read a new post from you! I love living vicariously through you!
You my friend have enhanced my Baja experience and I thank you for your insight!
I'll always be anxious to hear more!
Docsmom (Kathy)
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 04:21 PM
thinking on the nice comments

Here is the rest of the list of my Baja books

Salsa & Chips by Reveles 1997
Enchiladas, Rice and Beans by Reveles 1994
Tequila, Lemon, & Salt by Reveles 2005
Glory Days of Baja by Larry Stanton 1996
Best Stories of Baja by Larry Stanton 1998
Arriba Baja by Larry Stanton 1999
Backroad Baja Higginbotham 1996
Troubled Sea Jinx Schwartz 2004
Forgotten Waters Leigh 1941
Land Where Time Stands Still Max Miller 1943
Cruising the Sea of Cortez Spencer Murray 1963
Adventures to Lands End Paul Fischer 1975
Realm of the Incas Victor Von Hagen 1961
Baja Legends Greg Niemann 2002
In the Shadow of the Volcano Michael Humfreville 2006
Off the Beaten Track in Baja Earle S. Gardner 1967
Hovering over Baja Earle S, Gardner 1961
Land of Shorter Shadows Earle S, Gardner 1948
Healing with Plants Margarita Kay 1996
Travels in the Interior of Mexico in Baja California and Around the Sea of Cortez, 1825, 1826,1827,& 1828 by Lt. R.W.H. Hardy, Royal Navy (don’t let the title fool you this guy was really the first European who really explored many areas of the Mainland and Baja—the Rio Hardy is named after him.
Saints & Demons in a Desert Wilderness by Werschkul 2003—excellent book that got very little play—in my estimation one of the better books on the reality of the Churches tenure in Baja.
The Other Side by Judy Botello 1998
Mulege by Kerry Otterstrom 1992
Familia—Migration & Adaption in Baja & Alta California 1800-1975Robert Alvarez Jr. 1987
Into A Desert Place by Graham Machintosh 1988
Airports of Baja by Senterfitt 1969
The Pig in the Barber Shop by H. Allen Smith 1958 (this fun book will teach one more of the culture of the Mexican between belly laughs than most will do in years)

The Sea of Cortez (Sunset) by Ray Cannon 1966 (some pages stuck) 1970 &1973
A guide to living in Mexico by Betty Gilmore 1972
Anza Conquers the Desert by Richard Pourade photo’s by Harry Crosby (Signed by both) 1971
The Journey of the Flame by F. Blanco (two copies) 1933
The Under-Dogs (Los de Abajo) by Mariano Azuela (Pancho Villas doctor written in 1915 but didn’t become recognized as the novel of the Revolution until 1924—translated into English and re-published in 1963
King of the Moon by Gene Kira………….one of the very best novels about Baja 1997
Lower California Guidebook by Gerhard & Gulich 1956, 1962, & 1967

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 08:00 PM

If you havn't read Baja Feeling [That Baja Feeling?] by Ben Hunter, you should. It's a fun read. I don't know how Bernie can part with these treasures.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 08:28 PM

Bernie, I hope you are not thinking of ending your flavor of commentary to this forum, as to remove yourself would definately be taking away a bit of history each of us need to keep:yes:. Just because you reflect on things from a past observation doesn't mean it still isn't appreciated at its writing today. I have enjoyed my conversations with you, your books and your writings on current and past events in Baja. This forum to some is their morning coffee as it has been for you, so are you going to stop having that morning coffee? I hope not and if your down maybe Ken will post some more of his great photos of what the waters have to offer in way of wonder to keep your interest. Remember Bernie-----No Hurry, No Worry, Just Fun. I look forward to seeing more of your posts and sometimes we just have a bad day and need to know that people still care and look forward to saying it's good to see and in some instances hear from you. I also will be looking for you at the book signing next year. Take heart Bernie, your in our thoughts and I hope all is well. Later-----bajafun777

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 05:49 AM
Thanks to each and everyone of you who have shown support for me in this silly time.

I have posted a dream elsewhere that may shed some light on what caused me to write this thread to begin with.

Over and done but still hanging around to lie to yo'll some more.

It is put up with me or the delete button. Simple!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 10:50 AM

Hey Bernie.....
You should probably keep your books. I don't think you're done with them yet.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 12:41 PM

Bernie, jejeje, With out doubt you got my attention with this post. There has been some head scratching and wondering what to say on my part all day.

I work on my art; gluing sequins to a little wooden cross with a collage of the Virgin de Guadalupe that has almost been done for a couple of days now, just keep thinking of one more thing to add. And than I go back and read your post, hummm, what can I say.

I sand a paper mache Angel with big boobs, Don Jimmy’s crosswise grin, this Angel is flipping the bird to I don’t know who, life and what it throws us sometimes I guess. And again I return to your post and wonder what to say.

I eat a couple of tangerines, write a comment on a post that is not any where so near to my heart, and I am still at a lose as to what to say.

I return to a painting I am working on, like answering your post, it leaves me wondering what the next step will be, it is an abstract, about 1ft.6" wide by 1 ft. tall, so there is plenty of space to play with, I have been getting lost and discovering on it since I have been here in Oaxaca, three weeks now. And I know I must say something on this post. What oh what do I say, except maybe;

I for sure comprehend a wonder as to why bother posting here, a sense of mortality and my time wasted on a forum; writing about what no one else ever cares about. I mostly just observe these days, haven’t really had much to say on anything for a couple of years now, well, you know.

A friend reminded me the other day that Art is not something we necessarily understand, but what the arts are really about is what we feel upon observing a piece; it is all about whether a piece touches us or not. Your writing is your art; If your writing touches someone, than the work was for them, if they don’t get it, well, it was never meant for them, and you just got to let it goes as that.

So Bernie, sometimes I get you full on and sometimes your words just fly like a rocket right over my head. This time, I think I got them, not that I completely understand them, but they full on touched my heart. Still, got to admit, it sure makes me wonder what the heck is going on that you are selling your books; I get not posting on this forum anymore, but why are you selling your treasures?

I am a lone wolf sort of soul who takes pride in marching to the beat of my own drummer. And than I get my feeling hurt when my art doesn’t speak to the masses, go figure, how can I take pride in my uniqueness and than not comprehend that others don’t get me. I mean really, let’s have a show of hands, how many Shakespearean Actors are on this board? I bet ya that I am the only one. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck I am doing here.

Well, you are one of the reasons, there have been a few out there who I was able to touch with my writing; for sure, You and Mike H. got me more than most, and you guys really encouraged me to write what I was feeling and I did until I ran out of anything to say, And than one day, Mike was gone and I didn’t get to say Thank You and let him know what his contribution to this board and my personal life meant to me, bummer, dang, that opportunity flew right out the door. So, I sure do want thank you, after all, you have been a real big deal in my Life.

Your initiation to this forum was back in 2003, and my own around the same time, back when the Old Amigos board closed and we moved over here. And I reflect; You and I sure do share a History and I just don’t want another day to pass without publicly acknowledging that and all that you have been to me. Thank You Bernie, knowing you and reading your words has been a great enriching gift, thank you, thank you, thank you and I hope we have at least a few more years in us so that I can keep on thanking you. I get You, your art of words is for Me!
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 08:08 PM
Thank you Sara for making me see!

Okay, here I go again doing what I should not even think of doing. I love to write for so many reasons. It allows me to think on a plain that I normally do not occupy and touch folks I want so desperately to cause to understand. I know that I sometimes fail, and miserable, because I am not even sure of what it is that I wish to convey. The only thing that I am sure of is that sometimes I am able to weave a story in such a fashion that it bring happiness and interest and when that occurs I am on cloud 9 or I have at least have gotten a ‘get out of jail’ free card.

At other times I write because I wish, no need, to act as a bridge between to really two wonderful cultures; I believe that a through mixing makes for something even greater…more fun and even....more alive.

Occasionally, I cry when I realize that I do not have the tools nor the intellect to bring divergent folks together in such a manner that they can share each others passions. Passion is, to me, one of the most important ingredients in our rather short and boring lives. It is the one most important components that must be mixed well in the paintings some of us attempt to create. At other times it is the Jamaican Jerked Pork that is all by itself a creation of simple passion. More often it is the a simple spice such as garlic added to a basic comfort food like as a stew. Sorta like a ‘Jimmy’s Soup that Sara can share with you should she wish. Rarely is it offered up as this saying I wrote years ago, “He who is blind to my soul shall never know me.” Passion so clean and pure.

At other times it is the Baileys Cream that soothes the Shakespearean actors parched throat.

As I write this I am beginning to understand that of all of the feelings and senses which move modern man it is passion that is placed behind a high dam—never to be truly placed on display for it causes confusion—and even conflict. Why is that so I have no clue—but—I do know that our society is hell bent on eradicating this most important aspect from our daily life. Feel nothing and you are safe!

Live your life passionately and you will have lived a full life and you just may touch another human being.

Like I said I love to write and always hope to reach both friends and foes.

Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 9-30-2007 at 10:11 PM

Bernie ~

Keep doing your thing. It moves so many of us. This thread is reminding me of what I planned to do here - my art, writing and living passionately. You are a great man and you promote understanding and caring. What more can a person do? And if people get it, they get it, and if they don't ... maybe they'll get it somewhere down that dusty road. Or not. And like Eli said, if they don't get it, it wasn't for them.

Thanks again for all your wonderful yarns - better than threads.

P.S. Eli – Glad you know Bernie from way back. I’m a relatively new Nomad. I'm not really a Shakesperean actor, but I did play Mistress Overdone in "Measure for Measure" a few years back in a production by a small theater group in my old home town. I, too, paint and make paper mache creations. I am excited about being here where that's a more understood medium. Glue, glitter, tissue paper!!! You inspired me to quit muddling around with house plans and get out the fun stuff! Loved the description of the angel! I was known for fairies with attitudes in my old home town – here they will be dead fairies with attitudes …

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 07:16 AM
Gnome-ad

You should meet the lady...........when she writes and is stuck for a word........she just creates a new one and everyone understands......Her art is, at times so passionate that it can be freightening.

She has her own gallery in the East Cape area...........and believe it...she was a lady contractor in Baja Sur. (very successful)

My wife and I were blessed with meeting her when we all hovered around a hospital bed in San Diego breathing just a little more life into her dad...Don Jimmy Smith of the Grinning Gargoyle fame among many other things,

I tried to u-2-u you but they were kicked back....I am hopeful that you will share your stories with us and breath new life into us more senior fellows

Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 08:19 PM

Gnome-Ad, I am so glad you are into the glitter, love the stuff. I leave trails of it where ever I go. I did a series of 7 Calaca paper mache sculptures for day of the dead last year, there are still 3 of them in the gallery at home.

Some time in Nov. Baja Shakespeare in Los Barriles auditions for this year production of 12th Night. I will go for a bit part as usual and they know me and how I act, so I don't have to be there. I like the bit roles, not to much stress and I get to watch the show grow thru rehearsals. I find that a Shakespeare play just gets richer, deeper and fuller the more you get into it. If you or anyone on this board are interested, this is an open house audition, I can look for and forward the time and date. Isabel Smith from Todo Santos comes over to do the show with us every year. The show it’s self will be sometime around Easter, rehearsals run two weeks before the production, so you do have to dedicate your time and stay in the East Cape for those 2 weeks before the show starts.

Also there is Blue Moon Productions out to Todo Santos, they are always looking for actors to come play.

Good luck on your house plans.

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie, Bless You Bernie! Keep writing and I will keep reading, even if it is in silence.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 09:08 PM
So glad you reached out....I have a feeling it will cement a relationship that I will admire

Sorry Sara the edit was caused by the one word that you used that has never been used to describe you my friend! Silence!

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by Baja Bernie]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 10:27 PM

Reading this thread, I felt like an eves dropper to a very private moment. Sara, your dad was, and is still in my heart. Bernie, you've found a place there too.

Keep it up.

Pour on the glitter Sara!

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 10:48 AM

I don't know Bernie; I've been more subdued than ever this last year, kind of got the passion knocked out of me so to speak. “The Inspiration will find me working” is a mantra I hum under my breath as I work in the studio these days. Who knows what's goin on, Ni modo.

I was sitting across from a young artist up in the studio yesterday, watching him work, how he holds his pencil; he holds it loose from the top, his touch with it is calm, sure confidence, light and fluid movement. He is a quiet being, there is calm passion for art in his very soul. Man, I could learn something from him, you just know when you are in the presence of a serious dedicating their life to art kind of artist, and my heart did sing a little song of joy as I watched him work.

Paulina, I am glad the Old Man is still in your heart, I am sure he is very comfortable there and with the company of Bernie, ah, well, he just couldn't be happier. Oh que, ya sabes, I'm off in search of a big bag of red glitter.

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.